Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Removeing alerts was a terrible idea

Well, the name says it all. I'm not saying the old alert system was perfect, no one is, but it had a lot more advantages than drawbacks. It helps new players get their feet under them as they're starting out, but that point has been made A LOT by others. A far more interesting point, at least from my perspective, is that it keeps players involved in the community. Sure, there's Fortuna and the Plains, but they're both more grind material than anything else, and the Sorties aren't exactly "user friendly" especially to new players.

I started playing Warframe when it first came out on PS3, and the only reason I keep playing is the alert system. Yes, it was annoying when you couldn't find the specific resource you needed to make whatever super awesome miguffin you happen to be trying to create at the time, but that wasn't the real reason I did alerts anyway. I did alerts because they were genuely fun, I liked the wide variety of mission types, and it made me feel like I was actually accomplishing something instead of just mindlessly grinding in one big open map for an hour and a half. Finally, I liked how it was quick and easy to get into and get going, then hop off 5 min. later after doing an alert or two and still feel like you actually accomplished something.

The alert system had some flaws, everything does, but it had a lot more good things going for it than bad.

Edited by (PS4)SavageWisdom-
Spelling errors
  • Like 4

Alerts should have never been removed. Only reworked to work alongside NW. No different than Kuva survival working alongside Kuva floods and siphons. 

But whatever, DE will just constantly  struggle between NW seasons with 3-4 week gaps of lifeless non activity till they figure it out. 

tenor.gif

Edited by (XB1)RDeschain82
  • Like 8

And the biggest flaws of the alert system have been constant issues since their inception and have driven away a lot of players. We had the system for so long with no other alternatives that people who stuck around got used to and accepted their flaws.

The specific issues were their awfully random nature and short time windows. When your progression gets slowed down by lacking Catalysts, Reactors, specific auras, or even Vauban and you miss an alert because it started in the middle of the night or when you were busy was an issue that I've seen drive away a lot of players.

In my own personal experience it took me months to finish Vauban and I didn't even own every aura until NW started.

NW isn't perfect but your progression is no longer gated by arbitrary time windows that you can end up missing due to factors outside your control. This alone makes the system far better than the alert system ever could have been on its own.

• Like 5

Ah, here we go again. Time for another axe.

*Grabs another axe from 'My Grievances Against Alerts' closet*

Lemme take a look at this one... ...well, this is an interesting one, because it's not technically my grievance - it's actually my dog's. Poor girl, had to go hungry for another 15 minutes because I had to rush to my PC in the morning to grab an Alert. Could still remember her yapping furiously as I rushed downstairs. Ah. Good times. These days, I even have time to make pasta and a cup of tea before I log on.

*Starts grinding the axe*

The only thing - and I mean the only thing - Alerts got right was its instant reward loop. Everything else was horrible RNG snooze-and-lose nonsense which deserved to die in a fire. You want those Alerts-like missions back? That's fine. Ask DE to incorporate them into Nightwave as Weeklies and Elites or something. I'd wholeheartedly support that - just leave the rest of it out.

Edited by KnossosTNC
  • Like 2

If you take your time looting the map, you get more than alerts can offer and I've been doing this for years. No hurry, just casually strolling through making warnings to grineer and corpus while doing some "shopping"

• Like 3

Simple fix to all our issues:

Step 1. Remove alerts

Step 2. Remove Nightwave ranks and exclusives

Step 3. Every challenge provides you with X amount of credits wherewith to purchase the once alert-exclusives from the Nora store.

Why couldn't DE just do that?

Edited by Tellakey

19 minutes ago, Tellakey said:

Step 1. Remove alerts

Step 3. Every challenge provides you with X amount of credits wherewith to purchase the once alert-exclusives from the Nora store.

They probably just thought replacing one mundane system with another without using the opportunity to try something new just wouldn't be very exciting, hence the lore to follow and exclusive stuff to work towards. DE are an ambitious, experimenting bunch.

Eh. As long as I get to make plans for my day and week in advance without having RNG snooze-and-lose nonsense coming out of nowhere to ruin them or make me regret having them, I'm happy.

Edited by KnossosTNC
  • Like 1

With the introduction of the catch up mechanic, Nightwave is pretty good for my needs.  I'll only be able to game on the weekends for the next couple months, so this means that I'll be able to obtain everything and not miss out like I would with rand appearance alerts. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Tellakey said:

Step 1. Remove alerts

There will be someone that complains about "challenge doesn't reward you enough", "too grindy to get all", or "just tedious"

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KnossosTNC said:

They probably just thought replacing one mundane system with another without using the opportunity to try something new just wouldn't be very exciting, hence the lore to follow and exclusive stuff to work towards. DE are an ambitious, experimenting bunch.

Eh. As long as I get to make plans for my day and week in advance without having RNG snooze-and-lose nonsense coming out of nowhere to ruin them or make me regret having them, I'm happy.

There's so many ways they could've retained the lore aspect of Nightwave without all the time-limited exclusives nonsense. For example, put the Wolf Armor on the store as an expensive, permanent item. Boom. Problem solved. You can still farm the boss for the hammer and whatnot and the chapters are still a thing.

Still hope they bring them back. I really like this game and I'm so disappointed that this decision is killing my interest in it. 😕

Seems a dead game with a new system that forces you to do things, instead the alerts were free, fun, choose your mission and go without thinking too much and they bring atmosphere like: "hey, there's always something going on down there".

13 minutes ago, Tellakey said:

There's so many ways they could've retained the lore aspect of Nightwave without all the time-limited exclusives nonsense. For example, put the Wolf Armor on the store as an expensive, permanent item. Boom. Problem solved. You can still farm the boss for the hammer and whatnot and the chapters are still a thing.

Or a separate currency, like "Silver Wolf Creds" for mundane Alerts stuff, and "Gold Wolf Creds" for the exclusive stuff or something. Buy what you want, when you want. Also solves the underwhelming Prestige ranks. Yeah, I'd take that.

Again, I just want the RNG snooze-and-lose to stay dead and buried where it belongs. Everything else, I'm open-minded.

Edited by KnossosTNC
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, KnossosTNC said:

Or a separate currency, like "Silver Wolf Creds" for mundane Alerts stuff, and "Gold Wolf Creds" for the exclusive stuff or something. Buy what you want, when you want. Also solves the underwhelming Prestige ranks. Yeah, I'd take that.

Again, I just want the RNG snooze-and-lose to stay dead and buried where it belongs. Everything else, I'm open-minded.

There we go. That works.

I think the core of the issue is that DE and us have difference expectations from Nightwave. They want it to keep players engages in between large updates. We just want a convenient alternative to old alerts.

12 minutes ago, TheRealShade said:

Except that alerts where everything but noob friendly since you needed to have that planet node unlocked in order to even see the alert on it. Try again.

And by the time thay you unlocked that high level planet node the 1000 credits and 80 endo isn't worth it since there's better alternatives now

• Like 5

The "I want old alerts back" arguement is very strange. NW is leagues better! More time to complete, tons of rewards and reward offers, a cool story behind it, no daily time gates, surprises and the ability to get rare resources faster and easier. 

So, explain why the heck an inferior system should return?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, trst said:

And the biggest flaws of the alert system have been constant issues since their inception and have driven away a lot of players. We had the system for so long with no other alternatives that people who stuck around got used to and accepted their flaws.

The specific issues were their awfully random nature and short time windows. When your progression gets slowed down by lacking Catalysts, Reactors, specific auras, or even Vauban and you miss an alert because it started in the middle of the night or when you were busy was an issue that I've seen drive away a lot of players.

In my own personal experience it took me months to finish Vauban and I didn't even own every aura until NW started.

NW isn't perfect but your progression is no longer gated by arbitrary time windows that you can end up missing due to factors outside your control. This alone makes the system far better than the alert system ever could have been on its own.

This is so crazy tbh. I got Vauban parts within, I’d say, 1-2 months of playing Warframe(started November 2018) and I actually ignored the alerts for vauban parts a few times because I simply wasn’t interested at him.

Is this opposite day?

1. Alerts derailed new players. To this day I remember how I felt when I realized that all those alerts for 80 endo that I did were 2-3 rotations of Hieracon and I indeed felt like I was progressing, when in fact it was nothing but time wasted.

2. I don't see how just another silent rush mission kept anyone involved, in fact for a fast team work oriented reward cycle, fissures are 10x better.

3. RNG. Took me 8 months to get Vauban and 6 for CP, my 1st potato was on Neptune.

4. What made alerts more fun? The same lv 10 exterminate for a Nitain. God forbid it's a longer mode or Defection just to waste your time.

5. RNG. I skipped on more Nitain than I can count because the mission would have wasted ~10 minutes

6. 500 alloy on Eris or worse, that Nitain you want is there, but you're on Saturn.

7. RNG - there's that CP. You're at work? Too bad.

The good

1. It gave things immediately.

2....?

With the changes to NW in episode 2, nothing about alerts would be missed. Also I'm hard pressed to ask what a person who's been playing the game for ~6 years finds interesting about alerts, because at the time of their removal I had 10 months and was completely ignoring them for being content with no reward or challenge. But then again I can also make a shill account and claim anything.

• Like 3