Whispers in the Walls: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(PC) Gauss / Signature Weapons Feedback

[DE]Danielle

Getting into Gauss was an interesting experience for me. As I was maxing him out, I despised everything about him. Nothing in his kit felt useful or even rewarding on a basic level. However, my intuition told me that there was still a really great frame in there and so I stuck with him for a bit, and in doing so learned more about how his abilities work and what they're supposed to be used for. Now, I actually think he's really good, and he may be one of my favorite frames. That said, he definitely needs some tweaks.

The biggest change I'd say needs to be made is to better clarify in-game exactly how his abilities, particularly Redline, work. Descriptions, TIPS, and the UI need to be improved to clarify exactly what the meter is doing and what values mean what. This is especially important right now, because with seemingly half the people in this thread (understandably!) not understanding even the basics of how Redline functions it is very difficult to get meaningful feedback.

Mach Rush's energy cost should be a flat per-second. Having it go directly off of distance travelled makes an ability that is already pretty unresponsive to modding feel even less dynamic. The only way to get more reward from your energy investment is to increase efficiency, which can be capped out with just 2 mods (which Gauss in his current state arguably needs anyways). That's not very interesting.

Redline needs to be less energy intensive. While Mach Rush and Kinetic Plating's energy costs are IMO reasonable for what they do, Redline requires not only a huge energy investment up front but then further requires you to constantly spam 1 and 3 to upkeep the gauge, even more so if 2 is active (which it should be if you're anywhere above level 30). While there are some efforts to offset this a bit (Mach Rush costing less during Redline and Kinetic Plating converting absorbed damage to energy), they aren't enough, and it feels like maxed efficiency and/or Zenurik focus is mandatory just to make Redline worthwhile. My personal suggestion is to make Mach Rush even cheaper or perhaps even free during Redline. Redline incentivises Gauss's hit and run gameplay directly by making the player frequently use Mach Rush to upkeep the gauge; proceeding to punish them for doing so by draining all of their energy when RL is already a massive energy investment up front feels counterproductive to me. Other ways to solve this could be to greatly increase Kinetic Plating's conversion rate during Redline or just to reduce Redline's activation cost.

Gauss's battery economy needs to be rebalanced so it doesn't fluctuate as much. The gauge fills absurdly fast, and can be maxed in seconds by spamming Mach Rush or just running around really fast. On the flip side, however, the gauge is consumed extremely quickly by Gauss's abilities; Kinetic Plating can drain the gauge entirely from just a few hits at really high levels and Redline's passive battery drain can take you below the redline in moments if you stop or even slow down for a second. The constant rapid fluctuation in battery level makes Gauss feel a bit more stressful to use than he needs to be, and conversely makes keeping the gauge topped off feel unsatisfying. I can't get a good flow going while playing him because whenever I'm doing something that consumes battery I have to constantly glance at the gauge to make sure it's still high enough, and on the flip side when I'm not using battery actively I can just ignore the gauge because it will be completely full in a few seconds just from normal play. I'd suggest slightly decreasing both battery gain and loss globally -- not even by much he; just a 20% reduction would make Gauss feel much more smooth and satisfying.

I think Gauss's overall power level is fine where it is, so I'm a bit hesitant about suggesting things that might make him too overpowered, but I think the above changes are fair and will make him more user friendly.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Raqiya said:

Latest Hotfix

The one thing you lot decide to hotfix about Gauss has nothing to do with anything we have been talking about in this thread, I'm a little upset.
"Gauss’ battery meter now builds when Reviving a teammate!" must be a joke.

Even Khora who was in a much worse state than Gauss on release saw about a week before she was reworked. If DE makes too many drastic changes too quickly they could end up creating even bigger problems. They're doing their best, please wait warmly until they are ready 🙂

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

I’m getting the feeling that none of this feedback is being taken into consideration.

PC just got the first changes to Gauss and it addressed none of the criticism presented in this thread.

That is just not true. The patch fixed the issue with Gauss losing battery while reviving teammates, which was a criticism presented in this thread multiple times.

Furthermore, a lot of the feedback that has been posted is actually invalid, due to people not understanding how the abilities work. So many people have complained about Redline being "difficult to charge", saying that they need to spend most of its duration spamming Mach Rush only to get a few seconds of buff time before it ends. That is just invalid feedback, as the buffs are tied to the battery level like everything else, and the Redline counter reaching 100% only gives you infinite battery.

Gauss is in an excellent position already, having been well-tuned and balanced out of the box by DE. They did a great job. I definitely would like some tweaks (more controllable Mach Rush, no battery drain when receiving damage with Kinetic Plating, perhaps a further movement speed boost), but he's pretty good overall.

Edited by SteveCutler

1 minute ago, SteveCutler said:

That is just not true. The patch fixed the issue with Gauss losing battery while reviving teammates, which was a criticism presented in this thread multiple times.

Furthermore, a lot of the feedback that has been posted is actually invalid, due to people not understanding how the abilities work. So many people have complained about Redline being "difficult to charge", saying that they need to spend most of its duration spamming Mach Rush only to get a few seconds of buff time before it ends. That is just invalid feedback, as the buffs are tied to the battery level like everything else, and the Redline counter reaching 100% only gives you infinite battery.

So what about the issue of his 2’s energy regain not being all that effective on a frame that’s rather energy hungry, His 3 not having the punch to justify the loss in battery, his 3’s laughable armor strip, his 1’s lack of reasonable damage output even with the slash procs from his 2?

and his weapons having a pathetic ammo pool. This could have at the very least been fixed much sooner than anything else.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, SteveCutler said:

Gauss is in an excellent position already, having been well-tuned and balanced out of the box by DE. They did a great job. I definitely would like some tweaks (more controllable Mach Rush, no battery drain when receiving damage with Kinetic Plating, perhaps a further movement speed boost), but he's pretty good overall.

The main reason people are complaining (me included) about how long it takes for his Redline to 'charge' is do to the fact that if you don't get it to 100%, it feels nearly impossible to use. Do to the fact it drains constantly along with Kinetic platting if you have it up (which they feel like they should be sense their durations are exactly the same) if you are not spamming your abilities, the meter drops like a stone out of the red line state even if your are moving around, as taking even a moment to slow down and take advantage of your CC'd enemies on the ground has you losing well over 3% meter a second, which translates to I think 15% in red line (assuming the UI meter still runs off the final 20%, but I could be completely wrong there and it just feeels like Im losing it that fast.) The fact you cant drop this cost down with efficiency doesn't help matters, and makes so people feel they desperately need to hit 100% just so they don't have to feel the panic of dropping bellow red line just for standing still for a fraction of a second longer than they should have and losing all of there battery upon red line's completion. 

Personally, I think, now, that a proper change would be you can only activate redline at 75-80% battery (just give it a bit of leeway either way sense you can move during its cast animation), and then, once you do, it locks you in to red line, giving you access to the rest of the meter as if it was a whole knew meter (like it currently displays) with its current buff still active, if the meter is at 0% upon ability end, then it drops your gauge, but if you keep it fluctuating or max it out, you just jump back to 80% and can cast it again. 

Though this might make it a bit op sense you would just want to get to 80% meter and then use it instantly, but still, the reason people feel they have to 'charge' it might partly be do to a miss understanding of the effects, but also because everyone wants to have all their buffs maxed out! and to have them stay maxed out! And they want to be able to feasibly get there! instead of feeling like activating red line just makes it even more panic inducing to play this frame as now you not only have to keep it in a narrower margin but if you fail you lose it all and could instantly die in the process (As your damage reduction falters and your 3 loses any semblance of damage, not that it has much to begin with.) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raqiya said:

Latest Hotfix

The one thing you lot decide to hotfix about Gauss has nothing to do with anything we have been talking about in this thread, I'm a little upset.
"Gauss’ battery meter now builds when Reviving a teammate!" must be a joke.

Maybe they are seeing more Gauss abandon reviving teammates than being hasty helpers. But that's more of a instant revive system problem than him sitting still not getting battery power....

Mach Rush feels kinda cumbersome to use repeatedly on a keyboard. Especially if you move your finger away from the 1 button too quickly. You end up with a broken Mach Rush dash that is of no use.

I think it would work better if Mach Rush was a toggle and that the sprint button when pressed triggers Mach Rush. This builds on existing muscle memory and would eliminate the quick tap issue.

2) Gauss change : Your team technically ignored 11 pages of feedback with some good ideas in it.. I will share what I think is the main problem of Gauss
2.1)His biggest problem is his 2 draining the battery more than the energy it gives to regain the battery lost and I have Arcane Energize on mine. The Energy conversion % is really too low and should scale with either strenght or scale with the duration like almost everything in his kit.  Also the ability goes against the premise of the frame : going fast to "dodge" enemy. So either give it something like story energy while running, up the %Conversion or makes it drain less battery by hit taken because for the moment it is an unreliable defense because of it and a big drain of his energy to maintain high battery
2.2) The fact that his redline buff are selfish one that are impossible to get the full value of it easily is another of his problem. So ,to keep the redline buff to more than 100% and keep charging the % high, you need to spend some energy , energy that you dont really have presented in point 2.1 because you need to both mach rush and use his 3 to keep the buff high because you drain your battery while having kinetic plating active.. SO again, the synergy between both his 2 and 4 are not great. You should be able to keep both buff while still having energy. (my builds have 170% efficiency (there is a real problem) As someone mentionned in the thread, (thanks @WellIHopeThisOneWorks )  I think, now, that a proper change would be you can only activate redline at 75-80% battery (just give it a bit of leeway either way sense you can move during its cast animation), and then, once you do, it locks you in to red line, giving you access to the rest of the meter as if it was a whole knew meter (like it currently displays) with its current buff still active, if the meter is at 0% upon ability end, then it drops your gauge, but if you keep it fluctuating or max it out, you just jump back to 80% and can cast it again. 
2.3)  His 3 damage even with redline activated that do pitiful amount of damage to hydron enemies unless on super high strenght and the range is dissapointing even while investing into it.  Also, if you want to do a lot of his 3 , the 3 cold 3heat combo, it takes a lot of energy for almost no reward at all (the armor strip while under redline is pitiful , it should be 50% at base while scalable to 100% at 200% Power Strenght .  Also the damage should either be an higher amount of flat damage or a mix of both the same flat damage+extra good bonus while in redline .. AS I SAID in 3.2 i have a lot of effiency and still cant keep up.
2.4)The concept of the frame is fun and I still like the frame because he is fun but he have major issues that makes his kit anti synergistic and lack a real identity. He is a tanky  self buffing speedster frame  with meh CC that have major energy issues and his identity should be more of a tanky speedy frame with GOOD CC and team utility with no energy issues or a tanky speedster frame buffing frame with alright CC and no energy issues. HE NEEDS a real identity

• Like 2

Just going to throw some of my ideas in for improving gauss though I highly doubt, they’ll ever be used or even seen buy the devs but still worth a shot. 

His passive is great and so is Mach rush, no improvement needed, though I would add a synergy with his 3 but I’ll get back to that later. 

His 2 is only useful for the damage resistance, the battery drain is problematic with redline and the energy return is painfully low. To fix this I would change it to a deliberately battery draining ability with a payoff, think Garuda’s blood letting and inaros Armor, Tap the ability to spend a percentage of the battery and recover a percentage of your energy, hold the ability to drain the battery to gain a damage resistance buff scaling with the amount of battery drained. I feel like this solves every problem with kinetic plating whilst also adding meaningful battery management.

his 3 is ok but as a speedster I don’t think it suits his play style very well, I would turn it into a duration based elemental aura that causes Gauss to leave behind a trail of ice/fire, causing status procs to enemies that step on it just like Nezha, additionally it should also allow the shockwave from Mach rush to apply the status effects as well, and it would be great to get a shockwave or some kind of bonus damage or effect when directly hitting an enemy with Mach rush.

I haven’t quite decided on how to fix redline yet, maybe having no energy cost and having it run entirely off of battery drain, remove the restricted part of battery so it’s not tied to redline buffs then allow the buffs scale off of the whatever the battery level currently is, when the battery gets too low just turn off redline and build it back up again kind of like Baruuk’s ultimate.

Please please please make it so that Kinetic Plating is a (slow) drain per second on his battery rather than every single shot eating into it. On higher level content you may as well not even have it active because it gets eaten into so fast. I feel like it was an attempt to stop him being too tanky but you've definitely gone a little over the top with it.

Apart from that there's nothing that needs addressing as a matter of urgency, imo. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

I know it's a bit early for augment suggestions, but I really want a way to ramp up Gauss's speed. Having the ms buff back on the ult might do this trick (could help build the battery when redline is up). An augment where Gauss's ms increases the longer he's in mac rush could help for plains traversal, considering he gets left behind by arcwings at the moment.

Edited by Ubermacho

Greetings fellow Tennos

From my point of view, the abilitys from Gauss are rly good in terms of synergy and with a konstant movement the energy cost goes down too. (red line)

My only points thats makes the Frame little unfun to play are about Mach Rush. I agree with Ubermacho. Even with all sprint mods, amalgan serration and dispatch overdrive Gauss falls of in speed. I mostly use archwing in open world because the time my team is at the objective im still would be running behind.

My suggestion:

1. Because of different map layouts (open world/closed tilesets) let "Mach Rush" increase the speed after a set amount of time. For example you start running and after x seconds the speed ramps up. In that way you can use the 1 in closed tilesets without losing control and on open field be fast.

2. Combining Mach Rush with directional imput. For example: Holding D while pressing 1 make Gauss mach rush to the right but keeps the camera aimed in the original direction. That way its easier to control him during combat/movement without counter rotate the camera over and over aggain. ^^

I won't lie, I'm a speed junkie. I like Gauss a lot.

However...

...after having played a few hours with him I feel like that Redline should also give a boost to sprint speed according to the battery level, even if it's just a flat increase unaffected by mods. As a few Tennos pointed out, having the ability to go faster the more and better I play would feel so much more exhilarating and rewarding than just having max speed from the get go, especially considering how power hungry it is!

Redline really makes it look like it's supposed to break every speed limiter, not just those of the weapons. The first time I activated it I really thought I was going faster. Alas, it was only the effect of the adrenalin. It would improve every aspect of the speed frame to awesome levels, I just know it! :satisfied:

Edited by lukaself
  • Like 1

L30 Gauss gives 6,000 affinity.

Check...

Ok, some serious feedback. I've maxed out an Umbral Gauss build and did some lengthy testing. Overall result: too much fuss and awkward mechanics. Why we need the stupid battery charger? You add micromanagement to a speed frame, why oh why?...

Mach Rush
Your battery charger. Charge for charge's sake. Don't stop. CHARGE! This is a plain stupid mechanic, especially since you can't mod the charge level of 10%.
Mach Rush also gives you a strong FOV increase to make it look faster than it actually is. I'm using the typical high FOV of a PC player, the increase on top with Mach Rush isn't welcome at all. If you want to use Mach Rush effectively in close quarters, you will dash alot. That means your FOV is constantly zooming out and in. If you're prone to motion-sickness, this isn't a frame for you.

Kinetic Plating
As with Mach Rush's charge, battery drain under hit and general drain per minute for Kinetic Plating cannot be modded! If you want to reach 100% Redline, active Kinetic Plating will probably stop you right in your tracks under heavy fire. Unless you really needed, I recommend to use it only once you reached 100% Redline (then all battery drain from abilities is negated for the rest of the buff duration). Please drop drain on hit...

Thermal Sunder
This skill doesn't make much sense to me. You're supposed to be in constant movement and this is the one skill that requires you to stop for a second? While it's nice to have at least one skill to support the team (by crowd control), the range and the heavy battery charge aren't worth it unless you have... 100% Redline. Couldn't care less about the synergies of cold and heat variations of the skill. Again, too much fuss for too little gain.

Redline
Basically a big (solo) buff package. Note: the buff max stats depend on your battery power, not the Redline percentage counter! So if you have charged your battery to 80% with Mach Rush and you're activating Redline, you're good. Keep on charging to raise the percentage to 100%. Once you reached that, battery drain is completely negated, spam time (still behold your energy level)! Please make this a group buff!

Build tips:
Focus on Duration, Efficiency and Sprint Speed Mods. Ignore strength & range. Sprint Speed mods increase speed of your Mach Rush, you want duration to make the buffs worthwhile and Mach Rush's range per energy point.

Verdict

Gauss sounds fun but feels impractical. When having Wisp and Wukong at hand, there's little reason to use Gauss. For a high speed frame he feels far too clumsy. Revise quickly, please!

P.S. I use Acceltra on a lot of frames. On Gauss I don't... too many accidents.

On 2019-09-04 at 10:30 AM, SteveCutler said:

Absolutely agree. So many people seem to misunderstand this. I've been hyped for Gauss and was reading all the feedback while waiting for my Gauss to build, and from what I'd read I was expecting it to be a bad first experience. But Redline is great! Super easy to maintain. The buffs are tied to the battery, and the battery just stays full basically all the time as long as I Mach Rush between killing groups of enemies. I don't even have to watch the battery. Because of the complaints, I wondered if I had it wrong, but I double checked and nope, they do. This is definitely a UI issue that makes it confusing for people.

I absolutely agree about having the battery percentage shown all the time. It would make it less confusing.

I do want to say though that I would prefer for the percentages to be displayed differently. Currently, the normal state goes from 0% to 80%, and Redline lets you push it up to 100%. This doesn't really make sense, because "redline" means the maximum safe level, and the Redline ability says you push *past* the redline. I think it would make more sense to players and also feel more satisfying, if the normal state went from 0% to 100%, and then when using Redline you can push the battery up to 150% or 200%. Functionally it would be exactly the same as it is now, just displayed with different numbers.

I thought about this when I was making the mockup. I agree with you thematically, but unfortunately I don't think it would be a good idea for the UI.

The problem is that it makes it too difficult to understand the size of the buffs. If it went to 100% normally, then 115% or whatever with Redline, what should the tooltips say for the buff sizes?

• Does that mean that Kinetic Plating says "35%-85%", but it really goes to 100% when you have Redline on?
  • Or does it mean that Kinetic Plating says "35%-100%" even though you don't actually get 100% when the battery is at 100%, only when it's boosted with Redline.

Also, I'm not totally sure that it makes sense thematically either. The redline in your car is past the maximum safe limit, but it isn't the actual maximum RPM (otherwise going past the redline would be impossible - you can't go past the max). So it makes sense if you think "80% of the maximum is the safe limit".

• Like 1

19 hours ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

I’m getting the feeling that none of this feedback is being taken into consideration.

PC just got the first changes to Gauss and it addressed none of the criticism presented in this thread.

You do realize that Gauss dropped right before a long weekend right?  That means the've had a total of 3 days to read over feedback and begin discussions about what they're going to do.  Like, I don't think DE is always in the right or anything but this comment is clearly just trying to stir some S#&$.

18 hours ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

So what about the issue of his 2’s energy regain not being all that effective on a frame that’s rather energy hungry, His 3 not having the punch to justify the loss in battery, his 3’s laughable armor strip, his 1’s lack of reasonable damage output even with the slash procs from his 2?

and his weapons having a pathetic ammo pool. This could have at the very least been fixed much sooner than anything else.

"So what about the issue of his 2’s energy regain not being all that effective on a frame that’s rather energy hungry."

The perspective of this ability is completely out of wack.  Kinetic plating is Gauss's second line of defense.  Speed and cc are his first.  Trying to build around kinetic plating massively hampers the rest of his abilities.  The energy conversion is the way it is as what this plating blocks is the way it is for a specific reason.  You're not meant to turn this ability on and be tanky while having endless energy.  If you're building Gauss properly you're building for efficiency and duration.  And that in combination with the fact that redline automatically halfs the cost of his 1 should mean you have plenty of energy as long as you're staying on the move.

"His 3 not having the punch to justify the loss in battery."

You literally refund the battery you lose by casting heat first and then cold.  Frozen enemies still take and can be applied with DoT/status as per the recent update so there's literally no reason to not do this.  Unless of course you're trying to blast enemies away from you instead of towards you.  Since the order of his 3's use effects the direction of the blast proc.  The damage output on the boosted proc is enough to kill trash in star chart and does more DoT then ember is capable of outputting.  I don't think Gauss needs to be an effective nuker whilst being a good ccer and a literal DPS bot with his buffs far exceeding both volt and wisp buffs.

"his 3’s laughable armor strip."

Probably the only legitimate complaint about his kit design I can get behind next to like 2 other things.

"his 1’s lack of reasonable damage output even with the slash procs from his 2."

Again, he's already a dps bot.  Nothing about his kit screams multi target killer.  I suppose DE should just stop giving damage to frames if it can't nuke end game content because people will complain about how bad it is.  It's literally free damage you get for playing the kit in it's intended fashion in a kit that's not aimed at being a killer.

"his weapons having a pathetic ammo pool."

This is a fair point that DE could have easily addressed in the hotfix.  So yeah cheers to a fair complaint.

I've been watching this thread off and on not giving my input as this is for pc players of which neither you or me are.  The only 3 complaints i've seen that I figure to be fair excluding bugs are:

1) the armor strip on his boosted proc from blast not being great.

2) the fact that only those in the initial cast radius of his 3 can be status procced.

3) the pointlessness of the aoe shrinking of his 3.

I don't agree with the person you quoted in that a lot of the complaints here are invalid.  But I do agree with them that the design intent of the frame is going over people's heads.  It certainly doesn't help that the tool tips on how his kit work are not comprehensive enough as even I struggled to understand every moving part in his kit.  But a lot of this thread is less "I think this frame could use some tweaks" and more "WOOOOOOW Gauss is garbage because -insert echo chamber complaints here-"  So even if DE did have the time to properly act on feedback already it wouldn't be surprising if people's complaints are not being addressed.

11 minutes ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

"So what about the issue of his 2’s energy regain not being all that effective on a frame that’s rather energy hungry."

The perspective of this ability is completely out of wack.  Kinetic plating is Gauss's second line of defense.  Speed and cc are his first.  Trying to build around kinetic plating massively hampers the rest of his abilities.  The energy conversion is the way it is as what this plating blocks is the way it is for a specific reason.  You're not meant to turn this ability on and be tanky while having endless energy.  If you're building Gauss properly you're building for efficiency and duration.  And that in combination with the fact that redline automatically halfs the cost of his 1 should mean you have plenty of energy as long as you're staying on the move.

"His 3 not having the punch to justify the loss in battery."

You literally refund the battery you lose by casting heat first and then cold.  Frozen enemies still take and can be applied with DoT/status as per the recent update so there's literally no reason to not do this.  Unless of course you're trying to blast enemies away from you instead of towards you.  Since the order of his 3's use effects the direction of the blast proc.  The damage output on the boosted proc is enough to kill trash in star chart and does more DoT then ember is capable of outputting.  I don't think Gauss needs to be an effective nuker whilst being a good ccer and a literal DPS bot with his buffs far exceeding both volt and wisp buffs.

"his 1’s lack of reasonable damage output even with the slash procs from his 2."

Again, he's already a dps bot.  Nothing about his kit screams multi target killer.  I suppose DE should just stop giving damage to frames if it can't nuke end game content because people will complain about how bad it is.  It's literally free damage you get for playing the kit in it's intended fashion in a kit that's not aimed at being a killer.

Does Canada celebrate Labor Day?

What’s the point of having an ability that can refund energy if it’s not even half as good as a mod that returns energy in the same way. The fact that Kinetic Shielding provides so little energy just makes the whole mechanic feel redundant. At bare minimum 15-20% would be significantly better while still not replacing Rage or HA.

What if I don’t want to have to use his cold proc after his heat proc? He has 3 different options for double casting the ability. There should be some benefit to just casting the fire version. It’s kind of dumb to have an ability that has all these options and only one is the optimal one.

Cant really argue about his 1 not dealing enough damage. I was really just clipnoting all the complaints I’ve seen multiple times. And only being on console means I can’t really test it and there haven’t been any posts or videos where I can accurately assess stats and performances. But an impact from the SpeedFrame should be far more than the equivalent of throwing a pebble at someone in terms of damage.

• Like 1

The more I play with Gauss, the more I feel like they did an excellent job with him. He is incredibly well designed. He feels great to play, and is also actually effective in missions. Unlike many other frames, all four of his abilities are useful. DE did a fantastic job here! One of the best designed warframes in a long time. And when you get one of those really long stretches in a Jupiter or Earth mission, it feels amazing rushing through the levels at high speed!

I previous complained in this thread about the controls of Mach Rush, not liking how it keeps going if I release the 1 key while still holding the W key. I take that back now. After getting used to it, I've come to love how it works, and no longer wish for it to be changed. By being able to let go of the 1 key when running down longer distances, I can move that finger back to the A key, allowing me to turn both left and right while boosting. If I had to keep holding 1 all the time, then I would only be able to turn right and not left. So I actually prefer it how it is now - I just had to get used to it, is all. I can easily stop boosting by just toggling it off again with the 1 key.

I don't feel like Gauss has any major issues. Nothing is hugely wrong with him, and he doesn't need any major rework or overhaul.

There are some tweaks I would like, but they are all fairly minor things:

• Remove the battery drain upon receiving damage with Kinetic Plating. Leave it as just a drain over time thing instead.
  • It would be nice if Kinetic Plating would protect against all damage types, even if the reduction is lowered to balance it out. My reasoning for this is that it would make it more reliable and consistent, and also synergise better with his passive. If you think about it, his passive and Kinetic Plating together are a bit odd. His passive boosts shield recovery time, which makes it seem worth building him for shields. Shields are vulnerable to slash procs and toxin damage though, which are two things that Kinetic Plating doesn't help with...
  • Thermal Sunder's Heat move could do with being more damaging.
  • It would be nice if Redline boosted sprint speed as well, along with all the other speed-related things that it currently increases.
  • Gauss + Acceltra = Death. It would be nice if the self damage was removed from Acceltra, or at least while in the hands of Gauss as part of the "signature weapon" bonus.
Edited by SteveCutler
  • Like 1

Alright, I'm back, one final time (most likely) to say, That I have FULLy figured out how, at the very least, he works for me, and how to have a lot of fun with him.

https://tennoware.com/warframes/gauss/12213232300w005t505y510m607h003a210w605q010w805y810a903a103

I use this build (sorry to those that don't want to take an external link not near my WF computer atm), (also as a side note used Max Amalgum Serration with Kokage prime too), and with it, he is an absolute blast. I used it on Axi Exterminate Relic farming last night (As that is, decently, High level, though I should probably still do it on Sortie's to be sure), And he worked out incredibly effectively. His double cast of his 3 wiped felt fantastic, and would wipe pretty much any enemy within it in seconds. I used his 1 as a straight mobility tool, only tapping it to get from one end of the tile to the other or to get into a group of enemies, and that worked beautifully. With the none massive amount of duration, his buffs actually still felt amazing, and I could hit redline decently easily, sure it would only be fore about 10 seconds or so, but that was a few casts of 3, with the other 20 seconds just being me shooting my Karak Wraith (with riven mind you) at sonic speeds and dropping everything in seconds. 

He was fun, and I enjoyed him, and I will just say an edited (and hopefully more concise) list, of things that I think, would push him from fun to balanced perfection. (there are a lot of synergistic ideas I'd totally want to add to, but I wanted to limit this post to just tweaks that are actually doable quickly, as I've given this thread enough essay's already).

1- Energy per second, or, make it cost energy per distance for X meters, then per second tell the ability stops after that. Would keep him able to just do short bursts for cheep, but allow for long distance sprints even on a low energy pool (like the one I run, because I tried to do it with primed flow but that would cut out to many of the other things he needs to feel good). (mayyybe a slash proc on hit with Kinetic plating to, instead of just on damage, just to incentive's getting more procs for condition overload). Also, make it so its just a full impact knock down proc on impact instead of a ragedoll, I'd rather not loose track of that bombard I wanted to CC as he flies half way across the tile (though I can catch up to him, which makes it at least bearable XD). Would love more damage, but understand now its not supposed to be a damage ability. The way the impact feels makes it seem like it should be, but it's not. So I can understand leaving damage/melee scaling out of it, It just would make it feel better sense like, your impacting something at high speeds, and projecting that energy outward, feels like it should just hit harder than a soft tap from a slightly strong breeze.

2- More energy, still, but, this is do strictly to me not wanting to slow down to have to use Zenurik passive XD he functions totally fine with the amount of energy he gets now, but that is with a 5 energy regen on top of that, without that, he falls flat hard, so just buffing how much energy this gives would help that immensely. Also stand by the point of making it cost battery per hit or per second but not both, as both feels like a bit much for the lack luster amount of protection it gives, but depending on how more energy might feel, might still be warranted. (As of right now I pretty much use Kinetic platting OR red line, never both, which feels counter intuitive, but is how I have to do it to get him to feel good, hence my points.)

3 - evvvver so slight range increase, Ive centered on the number of 15 m, and drop the steady range decline. Right now the range feels just a hair to small, even though I know its because you are supposed to be IN the battle, not beside or far away from it. But still, I feel just a few more base meters and this ability would be perfect, for its intended purpose at least. Working with its energy cost might still be good to, but I feel it drags a lot less with the build I'm using above.  As for why I feel the range shouldn't decrease, is do to just how it feels. It feels like you cant drop it down, let it run, sprint around a bit, then maybe come back to finish it off, you either have to do both casts right away to hit the full range, or just do one and leave. It might be there to encourage more duration based building, but if so, then it would need a even FURTHER range increase to compensate for that notion, as at present your casting twice, dropping everything, and then leaving as your tiny bonfire continues to burn for another 7 seconds for no real benefit. (Also making the armor strip scale to 100% would just help this ability scale so much better into higher enemies, turning it from the 'clear trash mob' skill to the 'strip armor and CC' skill, instead of just, mild CC).

4 - Now that I know that you still get the bonus' of the FULL METER even when it hits red line (instead of how the UI shows it dropping back to 0 making me think I got no red line bonus' tell I charged it a little bit), I love this skill. dropping it to send my gun into a frenzy is great, but I mostly say all this just to continue to try and inform others how the ability actually works. As has been stated a few but not enough times, dropping red line at 80% battery means you START WITH YOUR BUFFS AT 80% and build from there. That feels wonderful, and the added extra 20 feels pretty nice too, thanks to my not so dang hi duration making it so idol running will charge to red line over the course of 15-20 seconds. That feels great. About the only thing is I feel that that should be the way it feels all the time, just idol running and gunning always able to charge that meter. Doing a duration build makes that not possible thanks to just how the math all works out, which doesn't feel right. Maybe a like...reduced curve for how that scales? like 125-175 duration the charge to full stays roughly the same, but as you push past 175 to 200 and what bit you can get beyond, it starts to spike considering the amount of power its giving you? I cant remember the mathimatical curve name but hopefully someone over there can get and understand what I mean, and agree's with me. I feel that would feel better and let people build for duration like they feel they should but still having it be 'difficult' to hit peak efficiency. Idk, honest that's just a nit pic, the ability is fine so long as you fully understand how it works. UI fixes to help that would be lovely, honestly just seeing it go from 80-100 slowly, like your really pushing your 'engines' to the limit and its struggling to stay there tell it hits 100, that would honestly feel great to me and alleviate a lot of the UI confusion. 

But, well I didn't keep my promise in not making it an essay, but you have a great frame here. As a speek junky I love the heck out of using him, now that I've found the way I want to. But, I feel he does still need some tweaks, just, not AS badly as I felt he needed them before. More like, 'these would be really nice' and not 'HE NEEDS THESE OR HE BAD OMG AGGG'. That's ganna be it from me I think, said my piece, quite a lot XD 

2 hours ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Does Canada celebrate Labor Day?

Wouldn't know.  I do know that they specifically stated that they were going on a long weekend and that meant people wouldn't be at the office.  So regardless of if they do or not they were not around from end of work day on friday till sometime tuesday.

What’s the point of having an ability that can refund energy if it’s not even half as good as a mod that returns energy in the same way. The fact that Kinetic Shielding provides so little energy just makes the whole mechanic feel redundant. At bare minimum 15-20% would be significantly better while still not replacing Rage or HA.

I do not know what the exact formula for the energy conversion is.  However because you only gain energy from the types of damage you're protected against that is probably part of the reason on why it doesn't feel great.  As for your question this is likely because you and others look at Gauss's kinetic plating as his primary defense when it is his second line of defense.  The energy given is kind of a "for your troubles" thing rather than meaning to be built in as a way to sustain your energy.  As i've said if you're building for duration and efficiency your costs are not bad at all.  Especially when considering redline halves the cost of your 1 which you're basically using constantly.  If that energy gained back from taking a hit is equal to using mach rush once then i'd say it's more than worth having.  As essentially during redline you'd be looking at almost a frequent free cast of said ability.

What if I don’t want to have to use his cold proc after his heat proc? He has 3 different options for double casting the ability. There should be some benefit to just casting the fire version. It’s kind of dumb to have an ability that has all these options and only one is the optimal one.

Then don't?  I do not know how much battery mach rush gives back.  that could be an alternative if you don't want to use cold.  I don't know why you wouldn't want to use cold.  I simply pointed out that the battery cost of his 3's fire version can be negated without having to build anything specific for it.  I can sort of agree that the fire mode feels a bit lacking compared to cold because not moving enemies>flailing enemies.  In fact if you look at his 3 in general it's just several different forms of cc and you get to pick and choose what cc you prefer.  right now to me it feels like cold=hard cc fire=trash killing + some cc and blast= breathing room/armor strip.  Obviously armor strip needs looking at.  And I wouldn't be opposed to giving some other effect onto fire to make it more valuable.  But I personally think the damage it does is more than fine.  As i've pointed out my main grievance with his 3 besides the armor strip is the fact that it shrinks and you can only proc the status on initial cast.

Cant really argue about his 1 not dealing enough damage. I was really just clipnoting all the complaints I’ve seen multiple times. And only being on console means I can’t really test it and there haven’t been any posts or videos where I can accurately assess stats and performances. But an impact from the SpeedFrame should be far more than the equivalent of throwing a pebble at someone in terms of damage.

There's something to be said about giving him some extra oomph for directly hitting enemies versus merely flying by them or colliding into a surface next to enemies.  But I don't think extra damage is the way to go.  I'd prefer some more utility.  Maybe hitting enemies directly can refund some energy.  Or has a chance to disarm the enemies perm.

1 hour ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

I do not know what the exact formula for the energy conversion is.  However because you only gain energy from the types of damage you're protected against that is probably part of the reason on why it doesn't feel great.  As for your question this is likely because you and others look at Gauss's kinetic plating as his primary defense when it is his second line of defense.  The energy given is kind of a "for your troubles" thing rather than meaning to be built in as a way to sustain your energy.  As i've said if you're building for duration and efficiency your costs are not bad at all.  Especially when considering redline halves the cost of your 1 which you're basically using constantly.  If that energy gained back from taking a hit is equal to using mach rush once then i'd say it's more than worth having.  As essentially during redline you'd be looking at almost a frequent free cast of said ability.

The conversion rate is 5%. Also a large majority of enemies deal just IPS damage. So there’s not the issue of “only a portion of the damage is being converted because damage type”. I don’t care if it’s not his primary form of defense. Because another complaint is that the energy you’re getting from it is not good enough to justify the amount of battery you lose for it.

28 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

The conversion rate is 5%. Also a large majority of enemies deal just IPS damage. So there’s not the issue of “only a portion of the damage is being converted because damage type”. I don’t care if it’s not his primary form of defense. Because another complaint is that the energy you’re getting from it is not good enough to justify the amount of battery you lose for it.

I know it is 5%.  What I do not know is that if this is 5% of the damage received before or after DR from kinetic plating takes place.  if it is after then that would explain the extremely low amount of energy gained from being peppered at.  Which is why I said I don't know the formula.  and actually it is part of it.  Because the thing that usually kills most frames at higher content is DoT from things like toxin and slash.  And both are rather frequent types that you face in end game.  Meaning not only does gauss not have extra protection against these DoT's but he also gains no energy off of that constant tick of damage.

Let me put it to you this way.  Gauss is supposed to survive via CC and movement with kinetic plating as a bandaid.  The drain from being hit as far as I can tell from watching gives zero hecks about how much damage the hit is.  Only if you're being hit.  So if you're walking around expecting kinetic plating to be tanking for you you are receiving a lot of shots.  Thus the big Battery drain with low return rate on energy.  However.  If you're constantly on the move and you only take minor pot shots the energy received does build up over time.  And taking big hits from things like explosive weapons or shotguns should mean more energy gained back per hit.

I have watched a variety of people use this frame since people started making builds on him and i've yet to see a single person struggle with energy or battery upkeep.  So either people here are building him wrong or using him wrong which is causing them to feel like his stuff is garbage when it's not.  I personally feel like people are doing both because they don't understand how his kit works and interacts with the game.  But who knows.  Maybe people know how he's actually meant to be played but because Gauss isn't doing specifically what they want they're complaining about the kit.