The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Do We UI Like We UI: Part II?

[DE]Rebecca

Daily login stat to our profiles ? Plat traded stat to profile ? Missions stat per frame to our profiles ? Material donates to dojo to our profiles ? Badges and challenges to our profiles for completing various collectibles and focus achievements , and many more hidden achievements that are not visible to our profiles. Plat purchases vs plat trades, correct credit farm and index credits, market achievments, more sorting options for weapon and frames , skins and deluxe stats etc

6 hours ago, DoomFruit said:

That's still annoying. I've already moved my mouse to the "button" to select it, I don't need to confirm it a second time. This really ought to be an option.

The reason those are going to keep their hold-to-confirm is because on consoles, those actions are bound by default to either a button you might be spamming when the command comes up (death confirm), or are the same as the button needed to open the menu containing the command (refine forge). In either case, without hold-to-confirm, it would be way to easy to accidentally enter those commands as a result of button mashing.

17 hours ago, (PS4)slova77 said:

If "hold to confirm" needed to be added anywhere else, it would definitely be to the "force start" option when in public squads. Running radiant relics with public squads means you have about an 80% chance that someone force starts the mission on accident before everyone is ready because they double tapped start (square). 

That whole interaction needs to be changed. Not only does it have that effect, but even on levels where you are in premades, if one of your friends quick starts a mission while you're pressing "ready" you WILL leave the squad because the "ready" button is replaced by the cancel button.

Not only that, but when you WANT to cancel missions because you remembered you needed to change a requiem or weapon damage type. Good luck doing that.
That's pretty much the most basic level of UI interaction, and the most cancerous one in Warframe, and living proof that all that talk about UX is just that, talk.

1 hour ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

The reason those are going to keep their hold-to-confirm is because on consoles, those actions are bound by default to either a button you might be spamming when the command comes up (death confirm), or are the same as the button needed to open the menu containing the command (refine forge). In either case, without hold-to-confirm, it would be way to easy to accidentally enter those commands as a result of button mashing.

The button mashing is a symptom of another problem - namely that there are a whole bunch of utterly pointless transition effects when bringing up the UI. Get rid of those and move the default selected option to the "exit" button.

8 hours ago, (XB1)TehChubbyDugan said:

You know where "hold to confirm" really, really, REALLY needs to be?

Life support towers, defense operatives, rescue targets, syndicate operatives, and especially the damn Eidolon Lures.

I cannot count how many times I've tried to reload my weapon and either ended up handing it to an operative, or ended up making something stay put when I didn't want it to stay put at all.  I wanted to reload my weapon.

This is one of those problem of console play that I remember dealing with all the time. You pretty much need to put "Context Action Includes Reload" as active if you want to have enough buttons to just actually play the game, and then the context action chooses to screw you at the worst times (or because you moved the stick ever so slightly and suddenly a different context action leaped into play). Ugh. Bad memories.

So yes, definitely, even as a PC player now, I think that is a good idea -- look carefully at the context actions and apply hold to confirm. 

One of the things I haven't seen while skimming the thread is the ability to change the priority in build tabs.

Like, I have got 3 builds in A, B and C. I was mostly using A but not I would prefer to have C as default. Currently I have to work around liking the two builds in chat then apply them to the other tab, fingers crossed the game doesn't crash.

Just an option on the renaming screen to pick the default loadout would be an improvement.

Edit:

In the information displayed vein could you modify the charm icon for smeeta? Having to memorize duration when you could give the option to toggle if we want the name displayed for the whole duration of it would be great please.

So I was going to write this on one of Brozime's videos on the UI workshop down in the comment section, but I guess it'll have (hopefully) a bigger impact here.

Story time, and problem:
I have been playing Warframe on and off pretty much from the beginning, and I'm kind of a lazy completionist but the menus always got on the way of my enjoyment. I never bother to rush into the new content (weapons, warframes primes) so it piled up after a while and every time I come back it takes less time for the game to push me away.

The thing is that the UI is not helping me check on which items I have, and which I don't. So I have to go back and forth between a lot of menus. My inventory to check parts of items for which I don't have a BP, the foundry to check for materials missing, relics to check where to get the parts I'm missing, and even outside of the game to quickly find where to find the relics I need, and that's just for prime items.
For non prime weapons/frames I have to check the store for BP, if it's not there, then check the dojo, if it's not there, then I have to go outside of the game to find how it is obtained (Acceltra for example) I'm sure the info is there in-game but it's not clearly visible for me, so I just google it.
Bottom line is I came back, spent about an hour sifting through menus making a list with pen and paper on my desk and when I realized so much time had gone by, I just closed the game and went to play something else, because the idea of catching up felt like a chore.

My solution:
Add every weapon and warframe to the foundry by default prime or not, dojo lab or dropped in missions, so we can see them regardless of whether or not we have the blueprint (make the bp a component just as it is now) and add an "about" option that gives the info on how it's obtained. Which relics drop parts of said weapon/frame for primes, and how to obtain them (the relics that is) which mission drops the bp for weapons like the Miter/T.gremlins/Acceltra and frames like Gara/Nidus/Harrow/Vauban. As well as the info on where to buy the bp if it's a market/dojo weapon/warframe.
This way we get all the information tightly packed just a couple of clicks away in only one screen/menu and colectionists can keep track of what they have, which pieces are they missing, and for which items they don't even have a single component, and quickly recognize how to get it and just spend more time playing, and less time reading menus and making spreadsheets outside of the game.

PS: Still waiting on an auto-sell option for duplicates and items we already have (mods, weapon/frame components) or at least an option to sell it right away after a mission.

PS2: The solution I presented could of course include an option to hide already crafted weapons, or those that you don't care to see because you'll never build them.

4 hours ago, Ham_Grenabe said:

This is one of those problem of console play that I remember dealing with all the time. You pretty much need to put "Context Action Includes Reload" as active if you want to have enough buttons to just actually play the game, and then the context action chooses to screw you at the worst times (or because you moved the stick ever so slightly and suddenly a different context action leaped into play). Ugh. Bad memories.

So yes, definitely, even as a PC player now, I think that is a good idea -- look carefully at the context actions and apply hold to confirm. 

This holds true for even PC players if they want to use a controller, I'd imagine.  Could totally be wrong about that.

This is one of the few shooters I actually prefer a controller with though, and before I get crucified, let me explain.  I have a controller with paddles on the back, and my setup lets me have everything movement and motion-wise that PC other than aim sensitivity (and the aforementioned issue), all without having to kill my wrist bullet jumping.  I find the position you hold your hand in to use shift/space/WASD all at the same time to be extremely uncomfortable.  I just wish I could reload without it trying to do 400 other things.

23 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Item Labels.
In a near-future Update - Item Labels will be ON by Default. The ‘Need For Information‘ outweighs the concern about ‘Overwhelming’, and since it is indeed optional, we are simply inverting this. Toggle as you see fit, but be assured new players will forevermore be just a little bit more clued in to what they are looking at.

Overall a step forward, but why is this a toggle in the first place? I personally feel like this shouldn't even be an option. One of Warframe's many weaknesses for the longest time is actually the lack of information in-game.

Item Details: Detailed Purchase Dialog
This screen actually starts with a story - the day we had our Dev Workshop review meeting, we also released the Kuva Nukor, Kuva Hind, and Kuva Bramma. Players immediately began chat-linking these items to view their details. All Stats are hidden behind a ‘hover’ on About, and thus we had a perfect day to make a decision on the changes for this screen since we could watch in real-time how players interacted with the new content.

As a result, we will be re-tooling this screen to be less hover-dependent and provide stat information at a glance, as seen here in this mockup: 

DPD.jpg

^Yes

Bonus: Forge All! 
Open the spoiler tag to see a Placeholder feature request coming for Railjack - Click to ‘Forge All’ in Dry Dock before you head out on a mission.

^Can this be expanded in the foundry? We progress too fast in the game to, say, only build one forma a day (24 hours, whatever; still too long for everyone). Either massively reduce the time to build stuff in general and/or allow us to "Build All" (i.e all 10 forma) if we have the resources? Just a few ideas to make this game feel more progressive (especially for newer players).

Leave.

Mastery Icons (and their sigils).

Alone.

The current ones that we have are part of the game's heritage, and they work well as an expanding design that grows ever more complex and detailed as your mastery increases. One of the main driving forces for me to attain MR28+ was the beautiful symbol and sigil of that tier. I worked for literally years to accomplish earning this, DO NOT CHANGE IT.

1dtUL2C.jpg

vor 15 Stunden schrieb (XB1)TehChubbyDugan:

You know where "hold to confirm" really, really, REALLY needs to be?

Life support towers, defense operatives, rescue targets, syndicate operatives, and especially the damn Eidolon Lures.

I cannot count how many times I've tried to reload my weapon and either ended up handing it to an operative, or ended up making something stay put when I didn't want it to stay put at all.  I wanted to reload my weapon.

Are you reloading with "X" (Use) instead of "R" (Reload)? Go to your settings and toggle that. 

Thank you!! Really positive changes as of late, lots of Railjack improvements early in the year, then Liches, now UI.

Does feel like feedback is being listened to again.

It did feel like Warframe was set on a more negative path last year, with odd pace of updates, lots of bugs, excessive RNG and not acting on feedback, but does genuinely feel like things are getting back on track again.

So yeah, really great so far, thank you 😄

Very interested to see what comes next with Railjack and New War content as well.

3 hours ago, (XB1)TehChubbyDugan said:

This holds true for even PC players if they want to use a controller, I'd imagine.  Could totally be wrong about that.

This is one of the few shooters I actually prefer a controller with though, and before I get crucified, let me explain.  I have a controller with paddles on the back, and my setup lets me have everything movement and motion-wise that PC other than aim sensitivity (and the aforementioned issue), all without having to kill my wrist bullet jumping.  I find the position you hold your hand in to use shift/space/WASD all at the same time to be extremely uncomfortable.  I just wish I could reload without it trying to do 400 other things.

Yeah, it's the same for PC+controller players: I used a Microsoft Elite Controller on PC, and an app that let me map commands to the 4 paddles. It was great, but I still needed to have context and reload on the same button.

Unfortunately, the controller analog sensor on the left stick wore out and rather than cough up another $150 bucks or do surgery on the damn thing, I switched to mouse + keyboard. 

I do prefer controllers for shooters in general, though. More comfortable. 

Archived