Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

AFK in Scarlet Spear

Since Scarlet Spear launched on Consoles yesterday, afking seems to be more prevalent when I’m in a Space squad with friends or randoms, its usually happening when I decide to host the session. I don’t recall this occurring on PC much. What is everyone else’s thoughts? Am I getting crap teammates or is this a common problem.

Usually you have a Wisp and Limbo in either Ground and Space Team. Both have to use their abilties once every couple of minutes. What do you expect? You won't compete against a Mesa/Umbra anyway so why bother?

I'll do the same when the DPS can do their job. I really see no point inflicting 1.5k dmg per shot when a Mirage can do 1m+ to a Crondix.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GnarlsDarkley said:

Usually you have a Wisp and Limbo in either Ground and Space Team. Both have to use their abilties once every couple of minutes. What do you expect? You won't compete against a Mesa/Umbra anyway so why bother?

I'll do the same when the DPS can do their job. I really see no point inflicting 1.5k dmg per shot when a Mirage can do 1m+ to a Crondix.

I’m not talking about everything dying or stuff being protected efficiently, I get teammates who afk on the Railjack and refuse to enter the Murex, and it slows down my groups progress.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, (XB1)Heart of Bastet said:

Since Scarlet Spear launched on Consoles yesterday, afking seems to be more prevalent when I’m in a Space squad with friends or randoms, its usually happening when I decide to host the session. I don’t recall this occurring on PC much. What is everyone else’s thoughts? Am I getting crap teammates or is this a common problem.

Is it possible on Xbox to kick out your teammates by unplugging internet cable without getting kicked out yourself? If yes, then no idea.

26 minutes ago, (XB1)Heart of Bastet said:

Am I getting crap teammates or is this a common problem.

You are getting bad teammates. But the event being extremely tedious really doesn't help. I have all the T2 emblems - the event is so incredibly boring that I have given up getting T3. I would totally AFK on the ship if people would carry me through the mission.

15 minutes ago, (XB1)Heart of Bastet said:

I get teammates who afk on the Railjack and refuse to enter the Murex, and it slows down my groups progress.

But you are progressing. So you carry the AFK people through the mission and get points. 

• Like 1

Its because people join to get rewards, not play because the gameplay is boring and you need to repeat it many times to get to the reward.

Try playing other co-op game where it doesn't build around grinding and actually has gameplay and reward teamwork, people will play because thats why theyre there for.

people idling will always exist if the whole point to play is to grind, especially when you have things like limbo thats encourage that..

Its just bad design, do you play this event because its fun or because you want that max rank energize, ask yourself that.

When you play it the first three times sure, but when you have to repeat exact same hundreds time more ofc people will resort to the most efficient way possible, thus afk (idling)

When the game feel more like work than play thats what you will see, people idling for rewards.

Same why people use bots or macros to automate something because they dont wanna play but want the reward, and thats totally understandable.

• Like 6

You probably just weren't paying attention before, I see plenty of people afking both ground and space.

1 hour ago, --DSP--Jetstream said:

Its because people join to get rewards, not play because the gameplay is boring and you need to repeat it many times to get to the reward.

Try playing other co-op game where it doesn't build around grinding and actually has gameplay and reward teamwork, people will play because thats why theyre there for.

people idling will always exist if the whole point to play is to grind, especially when you have things like limbo thats encourage that..

Its just bad design, do you play this event because its fun or because you want that max rank energize, ask yourself that.

When you play it the first three times sure, but when you have to repeat exact same hundreds time more ofc people will resort to the most efficient way possible, thus afk (idling)

When the game feel more like work than play thats what you will see, people idling for rewards.

Same why people use bots or macros to automate something because they dont wanna play but want the reward, and thats totally understandable.

DE could release the most "fun" content ever known and people would still leech. The whole point in leeching is to get rewards while putting no effort, the amount of fun is largely irrelevant. Leeching happens in all other long term pve games, it's just more of a thing on Warframe due to lack of punishment, and the extremely low difficulty. Other pve games have easy ways to report afkers, or they're difficult enough that unless half the group is highly skilled leeching is either not possible or highly inefficient. Reporting someone on Warframe is a multi step process that's done out of the game, and the difficulty of the game is low enough that 2 or even 3 people could be afk and it wouldn't matter unless the only one not afk doesn't know what they're doing.

Also consider some other games have the option to kick someone that is leeching, or deny them the ability to receive rewards, Warframe has neither of these in addition to the above.

As for bots, most bot accounts are for the purpose of RMT, so of course they want rewards without playing.

Only encountered one afk player so far in this event in Murex raid. At least they weren’t entirely useless as they were playing Wukong, and i can use the RJ’s tactical ability to use one of the warframe’s abilities out of my teammates, so i at least had his clone aiding me and my team. 

Also while not AFK, i also had a MR5 Vauban on my team. The mastery rank not being a problem, but the fact they were running no weapons other than a rank 0 lecta, barely scratching sentients as the mission progressed and not making use of their abilities was somewhat annoying, although they did deploy their oplinks at least, and i don’t mind helping out or just having low ranks on my team in general, but they could at least bring more than an unranked electric whip and maybe use their abilities to some extent. 

It’s annoying to encounter AFK people in the event, although odds are enemies are just going to be shredded by Mesa’s peacekeepers and frozen by Limbo’s stasis most of the time, yet they could at least deploy their oplinks to speed things up rather than standing still in the railjack

vor 2 Stunden schrieb --DSP--Jetstream:

[..]

This is so true.

And we have the same problem in many parts of the game and some new systems DE put into the game even encourage that.

For example: Nightwave sometimes has both "Do 5 different Bounties" and "Mine 6 rare gems" active at the same time.

Now what will someone do who neither needs any rare gems nor wants to play Bounties because they are super boring with no variation at all but wants to progress with NW?

Yes right, he will join public bounties without doing anything besides maybe doing the mining task while the others do the Bounty.

I completly agree with you although some people say that players will always leech and prefer to not play the game no matter what, but thats nonsense imo.

vor 46 Minuten schrieb Yamazuki:

DE could release the most "fun" content ever known and people would still leech. The whole point in leeching is to get rewards while putting no effort, the amount of fun is largely irrelevant.

Like most people, i have several games on my computer.

When i decide to start one of those games, i do that because i want to have fun playing that game, thats the purpose of games.

And that will be the case for the vast majority of gamers. Yes, there are a few select "players" who just start a game to then go afk again and get some rewards which, in theory, they shouldnt even need because they never really play the game and only feel the weird need to collect everything, but we shouldnt act as if that is the majority of players and that DE doesnt need to improve because it wouldnt change anything.

Just take my Nightwave example from above: DE is actively pushing people into doing content they dont want to do, and thats when leeching happens.

If those tasks wouldnt exist they simply wouldnt play Bounties, and when you are doing bounties the chance of getting teamed up with leeches would be much lower.

But no, DE's creativity for creating tasks doesnt go any further then "do task x for y times". Like Jetstream said, this is bad design and not only the players fault.

• Like 1

I didn't have AFK players in space squads yet, but I had many who were, quite frankly, worthless. Even high MR ones. I tried not to get mad, after all Scarlet Spear just landed for us console players, but it's hard. People don't come with me to the Murex, and when I'm back on the railjack, Grineer and sentient ramslead teams are having the party of their lives on board, with bonfires burning and the hull leaking oxigen from 5 wounds. What the hell were my teammates doing? 

I have the feeling too that a lot of people who are doing the space mission have no previous railjack experience whatsoever, and just don't have a clue what to do. I observed that often there isn't any open railjack teams to join, however if I'm hosting with my own railjack, people are fast to join - which confirms this theory. I wish they would just stick to the ground mission until they are able to be at least semi useful in space.

Edited by (PS4)Viveeeh

Never seen any afk in space squads, haven't done much of that but the times i tried, everyone made a contribution.

There is nothing you can do asside from ignoring the player (so that you know in the future that the player is a problem) and submiting a ticket to support with proof of the afk behavior.

1 hour ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

I refuse to play space team unless my friends are on...Some randoms AFK in normal missions on starting earth, let alone the veil...and I like to fight due to my Magic the School Bus thinking its a Space Jet Fighter...So I'm not working for free for some schlub sitting there picking their noses.

I have resorted to hosting Space missions only when I can join friends also, so I totally get you on that. Plus I don’t get many people joining when I decide to host.

Edited by (XB1)Heart of Bastet

Not that I'm excusing AFKing, but in the situation where you have a Limbo and a Mesa in space missions deleting everything what else are people supposed to do?

AFKing is bad, especially when the help is needed, but what the hell are people supposed to be doing if one or two players are deleting the gameplay from the mission entirely?

vor 15 Minuten schrieb Aldain:

Not that I'm excusing AFKing, but in the situation where you have a Limbo and a Mesa in space missions deleting everything what else are people supposed to do?

Last time i played and there was a Limbo i simply left the mission and looked for a new one without a Limbo (still exists 😉)

But tbh, the reason was that after playing a few rounds with Limbos, all the effects got really annoying and exhausting to look at.

Both on Earth and the Railjack Mission DE already added so many effects and with a Limbo on top of that i simply couldnt take it anymore...

I know this is not the topic, but i feel like they should really tone down the effects in some parts of the game.

Edited by DreisterDino

8 minutes ago, DreisterDino said:

Last time i played and there was a Limbo i simply left the mission and looked for a new one without a Limbo (still exists 😉)

But tbh, the reason was that after playing a few rounds with Limbos, all the effects got really annoying and exhausting to look at.

Both on Earth and the Railjack Mission DE already added so many effects and with a Limbo on top of that i simply couldnt take it anymore...

I know this is not the topic, but i feel like they should really tone down the effects in some parts of the game.

You can do that yourself in options. You can turn down particle effects, etc.

1 hour ago, Aldain said:

Not that I'm excusing AFKing, but in the situation where you have a Limbo and a Mesa in space missions deleting everything what else are people supposed to do

I go outside in space and farm sentient ships for their rare avionics. Only reason I do space instead of ground, avionics and intrinsics.

I read something interesting in this thread : it's actually true that when the reward is the most important thing and doesn't synergize and balance with the gameplay to give fun to the player why would people bother ?

Don't get me wrong, i do think that afk peoples are parasites but still : What is the good way to solve this ? punishing them or giving them a good reason to not be afk ?