Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So the New player experience....

0_The_F00l

So the tutorial is really cool and all with a lot more of a "purpose" to identify with and a mini cetus tileset.

Probably the first time we actually see atrocities committed by grineer against other non combatants.

But i am not sure just a tutorial re work is gonna help new players much without some explanation of modding and game mechanic stuff, 

i dont know if that is explained properly to actual new players (i can only replay the quest up to getting back to the ship)

Is there more?

Should i expect more ?

I personally feel there should be more than the same quest with a change in locale.

I originally thought by "new player experience" they didn't mean just a quest, but a revision of progression through the regular starchart :-P. For example, providing context for missions that only vets who were there for a one-off event got.

I wish they would have made Vor’s Prize and other quests replayable as well.

But OP you’re right. In my opinion, Warframe’s new player experience needs to extend through Earth, Venus and Mercury, up until Once Awake at least, with a bit more hand-holding with progression and mods and things like that.  This should also come with a clearer, more linear quest progression (From Awakening to Vor’s Prize, Saya’s Vigil, Vox Solaris, Once Awake, Archwing, etc.) that is MR-adjusted according to what a player is reasonably expected to attain at each rank — I say this because Vox Solaris, Deadlock Protocol and now Heart of Deimos are actually quite a bit more difficult than the nodes around them, especially for a low mastery player who doesn’t necessarily have all the basic mods yet.

anyway, my little rant is over. I agree, Awakening is nice (sweet tiles that should be integrated into Grineer Forest tileset), but NPE needs a bit more.

Its a nice tiny roam, yet nothing of interest for the explorer. Would like a wooded area attached to PoE, like through a mountain cave. Could even be this starter valley, with grineer camps on top of the Ostron town ruins. Other than adding the little bullet jump platform area that you can easily double jump and complete it without learning anything. It does not teach anything else new. Mod and outfitting I guess is still as it was (adding parts to the orbiter) but the quest replay ends after beating vor the first time. It plainly tells new players frames is kids with the vid now in game, just not the why. So can we really, finally, put 'spoiler mode' in its grave?

4 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

So the tutorial is really cool and all with a lot more of a "purpose" to identify with and a mini cetus tileset.

Probably the first time we actually see atrocities committed by grineer against other non combatants.

But i am not sure just a tutorial re work is gonna help new players much without some explanation of modding and game mechanic stuff, 

i dont know if that is explained properly to actual new players (i can only replay the quest up to getting back to the ship)

Is there more?

Should i expect more 

you don't see the atrocities is just badly rinted also its vors prize but with a mmo reskin with iven less explanation 

Did that first! While it's great to see it being freshened up, I couldn't have helped but to notice how lacking it is in terms of actual explanation of game systems.

I have seen someone mention their expectations for new player experience to be more of providing lore background for new players. Well, I have been toying with this idea for some time now and I guess it's as good a time as any to make a proposal.

So, we have two things already in the game, that would make for a great basis in changing the new player experience. I think DE should just expand upon it.

First thing first, the lore. This universe has a rich lore, there's no doubt about it. However, parts are so disconnected from each other, it hurts. First suggestion would be to lock specific parts behind MR, as was suggested by Rahetalius in one of his videos. Honestly don't see the need for brand-new players to have access to things like Plains of Eidolon, Orb Vallis, even the entirety of Deimos from get-go. I get DE wants new players to feel included, but giving them everything makes new players confused and overwhelmed. Instead, I think it would be much more beneficial to lock certain content behind progression, as this would not only stagger the story and put all the different parts of it in a time-frame, but it would also give new players something to look forward to. Personal experience, I was very hyped to get myself to Uranus and the Natah quest, while I was progressing through the star chart.

Speaking of which, the Natah quest is an excellent example on how to introduce the lore to new players. Without giving too much away, I have liked the progression this quest had had through Uranus and how it played with the assassination target of that planet. Why can't something like this be implemented to the rest of star-chart? I would love to have a quest involving a certain assassination target from Earth, before I actually fight them. There are enough targets for us to hunt, seeing as each planet is controlled by a different faction and a different boss inside that faction.

Which also brings me to a third point. Modding, Parazon and many, many, many other systems in the game, that the game never really bothers to explain. Why not introduce these systems through those same quests? Better yet, why not designing assassination missions around those same systems you had just explained in a quest? The new Jackal fight does a wonderful job introducing a player to Parazon. Why shouldn't the same be done for things like mods, or combat?

This wouldn't change the star chart at all, would help out new players a lot and even provide something for veteran players to do. What do you guys think? Would that be a good change for new and veteran players alike? To:

-explain lore through quest lines, tailored to lead a player through each planet in the system

-explain game systems through quest lines or/and have players learn about and apply them in assassination fight, that is specifically designed to exploit this system

For those looking to start this new content from an active account. Go to Codex and start "Awakening" quest. It will be there already marked as completed (this means you get no rewards from it). You will play with separate frame during the quest, not your lvl 30 version of that frame if you already have it. So you play as "a new player"

On topic. I was also pleasantly surprised by the new quest. It was much better than the old one. But there's still so much missing. WF is a game with so much content that it requires a wiki and several vets to get a new player going. This should at least be somewhat alleviated by the games progression system.

The problem is the lack of game mechanics explained and a plethora of other things.

I play on both PC and XBOX.

I started playing XBOX a lot lately....as I got a friend to start playing warframe but on XBOX as they use a MAC and not a PC.

As i played i noticed many issues with the tutorial and xbox experience.

Aside from the lack of players on XBOX and lag from the horrible xbox service.

i was shocked at some of the difficulty thrown at new players....also the requirements for some things like materials which cannot be gotten by new players easily.

As an example: you get a schematic for a new gun of your mastery rank of 2 but the components required would make you need to be at least 5 more mastery ranks higher then the mastery level of the weapon just to get them...>_>..that is right you have visited venus and earth and mercury but have not even touched the void, so the new player, in this case my friend asked me where to get argon crystals and Nitain and Orokin Cells.  They didnt know you can use the codex to find out.  Did not know they had to be further along to get this stuff.

Some weapons are way too high of a mastery rank for what they do as well like the daiku bow for example. if you are that high of a mastery rank you wont be using that weapon much.

But also missions at low levels my friend and I where facing things 15 levels higher then we where.....>_<;;  That is a bad thing.  No testing on this. this was with Orb Valis.

I ended up using combat attacks and things not shown in the tutorial at all to help pass these because weapons and such where not at a point to allow easier game play. Like Bullet jumping rapidly...sliding...the slide kick...also ground slams with your weapon or power attacks and power slams.  Of course some things on Orb Valis no matter when you play it will be level 60+.  Getting suddenly ambushed by glass enemies of level 60 when you are mastery rank 3 and not have that great of weapons is very annoying.

Yes you can consult the codex for some game things or even a faq or wiki, but the game does not even push you to use the codex or say what the codex tells you, It kind of off hands says that you can re-look at things in your codex that it does explain, like basic movement for example.  >_>  again very bad.

I have been showing my friend a lot of stuff and she has picked it up fairly fast.  

I feel the game should at least make you want to use your scanner so you can find the KURIA and other items....like in the tutorial it should have you use the scanners to do something like that and specifically say there are many strange things out there to look for.  I showed those to people many times and they go crazy when i mark them if they are semi new players.

Also the moon part.....it does not tell you about challenge rooms much at all.....I think they should get a player to do one and explain its a challenge puzzle and that there are more to look for.

You know my friend did that one story mission with the center guardian and did not realize the floor opened up allowing you to go down and get a drift mod.  if i had not been there they would have never known about it,  also it did not help that the mission does not explain you need to stand on platforms and get the enemy to shoot the differing points in the pillar until after you do it once. Again a failure of the mission and tutorial nature of that story line.

Heck i played with a group today and 3 people all thanked me for opening an area to a drift mod, as they did not know it was there, i am guessing like my friend they did not know there where puzzle areas on the moon.  I find not everyone messes around like me when you play a game and thus tend to miss stuff.

To go along with this, would probably be good to update some dialogue in the game specifically for new player experience. Example: Tyl Regor boss fight considering no new player will ever know WTF Tubemen are or refers too as it's not in the game anymore. 

"Game is bad at explaining itself, new players need help"
"So, like a trailer video?"
"No we mean explaining things in game rater than sending us to the wiki"
"So, make a mission line up with the events of the trailer video?"
"No we mean teach us how the game works _in the game_"
"So, a new tile set we'll only use for this one thing?"

Its a lot of work to in no way address what the NPE actually needs.

I'm a bit disappointed that only one Tenno woke up and not all three of them. I was hoping that after picking your starter, the other two Frames would wake up and fight alongside you like specters. Would've been a nice tutorial to experience the feel of fighting in a "squad" when playing for the first time

6 minutes ago, (PS4)Frostelus said:

I'm a bit disappointed that only one Tenno woke up and not all three of them. I was hoping that after picking your starter, the other two Frames would wake up and fight alongside you like specters. Would've been a nice tutorial to experience the feel of fighting in a "squad" when playing for the first time

Except lorewise a specter is not a warframe as we use them

7 minutes ago, RazerXPrime said:

Except lorewise a specter is not a warframe as we use them

I meant they'd move on their own and follow you around and such, similar behaviour to specters, rescue targets, syndicate operatives etc. They're controlled by AI, but lore wise, they're just another Tenno who woke up

1 minute ago, (PS4)Frostelus said:

I meant they'd move on their own and follow you around and such, similar behaviour to specters, rescue targets, syndicate operatives etc. They're controlled by AI, but lore wise, they're just another Tenno who woke up

That would make no sense at all lorewise. Have you finished The War Within quest?

2 minutes ago, RazerXPrime said:

That would make no sense at all lorewise. Have you finished The War Within quest?

What do you mean it doesn't make sense? And yes I've played The War Within, but that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. What I mean is when you pick your starter Warframe and wake up in the tutorial, it would've been cool if the other two Warframes could wake up as well as NPCs and fight alongside you only during the course of the tutorial.
Basically all three Tenno are waking up and fight the Grineer and you are one of them.

Archived