Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

⊃∪∩⪽ Themes.. I'd love to see an open world desert area, with sandworms. Maybe on Mars?

kungfucolin

19 minutes ago, kungfucolin said:

I'd Argue that Frank Herbert is already here. It's going to be pretty hard to point to a single concept in warframe that doesn't trace back to an analogue in Dune, imo.

Sorry but I'm not a fan of Dune. I have the novels because I was curious about how the western trivialized the Muslim world in dissonant abstractions. 

War Frame is a collection of sci fi themes amalgamated in one game with faceless golems and ill deformed kids with skewed ideals working for their own demise. 

In short the reason I play this game is just for the parkour and the weapons in it. I don't see any other purpose than a gym training for other types of game play like Titan Fall 2, Mirror Edge, Overwatch, Batman Arkham City, Spider Man and so on. War Frame is a game that provides a bench for game play styles and approaches. That's how I see it. 

3 minutes ago, Felsagger said:

In short the reason I play this game is just for the parkour and the weapons in it. 

Ok, that's fine - but the themes of futurism, existentialism, spiritualism, government, religion, and the similarity they bear to the themes of Dune can't be ignored in any serious analysis. For you, the game is simply a set of mechanics, but for many, the game is a rich tapestry of lore as well.

The story, such as it is, may not hold any significance for you - but it certainly holds significance for those who have painstakingly created it, and those who enthusiastically immerse themselves in it. To many, the themes you haughtily decry are of equal importance to the mechanics that you laud.

And I mean, surely you didn't miss that kuva = melange, right? The Solar system in Warframe could easily exist inside the Dune Universe.

8 minutes ago, kungfucolin said:

Ok, that's fine - but the themes of futurism, existentialism, spiritualism, government, religion, and the similarity they bear to the themes of Dune can't be ignored in any serious analysis. For you, the game is simply a set of mechanics, but for many, the game is a rich tapestry of lore as well.

I only see vector graphics, lua programming and 3D max, Zbrush and Maya animation. Products for the imagination and entertainment. This is nothing new. We've been here since India and the invention of marionettes and the classical Roman Theater with endless script of fantasy and a galore of statements on religion, politics and economy. 

It's a video game, nothing more. Similar to what Herbert perceived about the Muslim worlds. This is nothing more than just a product for marketing and good entertainment. Somehow we want to make this game the container of all the sci fi pop culture out there. 

Sometimes less is more. Games are exactly the rudiments of an instrument where there is a psycho motor connection and action reaction under a particular scheme of problem solving. That's the pedagogy of it. 

Lore? Well for me War Frame is a Canadian satire and a version of the Japanese Pokemon. That is good enough for me. I don't stress my neurons on what the lore is. For me the lore is just incidental, a vehicle that motivates the game play mechanics. 

The story, such as it is, may not hold any significance for you - but it certainly holds significance for those who have painstakingly created it, and those who enthusiastically immerse themselves in it. To many, the themes you haughtily decry are of equal importance to the mechanics that you laud.

Because the story is a vehicle that justifies game play in this concocting fantasy. It's no different than the concocting fantasy recreated by the US author, Herbert. I never was a fan and never will. 

The game mechanics is what matters most. This is the retro feedback of input devices and the exchange of information under micro management of decision making. Yes, video games are a scientific endeavor with lots of science behind it. This is the contemporary monument of our age and technology. 

Sorry but I'm pragmatic. That's how I run my bills and how I practice fun and entertainment. 

And I mean, surely you didn't miss that kuva = melange, right? The Solar system in Warframe could easily exist inside the Dune Universe.

And of course War Frame has a lot of the Cyber punk fanfare everywhere too. Looks like CD Project RED will take care of such department with Cyberpunk 77 and that Actor called Reeves Keanu. 

Case in point, War Frame has a way of being reasoned by DE. They collect a lot of pop culture movies in this big amalgamation of themes. It's a playground for such exercise. I think that War Frame should focus on what War Frame is and Dune should march on the road Warner Bros decides. If there are influences, I don't mind. But we should let DE find their ways instead of collecting every single sci fi out there as if DE where bone collectors on a museum of anthropology. 

IMO. 

2 hours ago, ES-Flinter said:

Would't mercury make more sense? It's not like that it's the planet nearest to the sun. 

Would at least explain why all mission on mercury are in a asteroid and not on the planet like on the corpus outpost maps.

Mercury isn't a desert. It's a space rock like the moon.

Perhaps not a totally barren desert as the center piece of the Martian open-world, but rather ruins of some of Ballas's towers from the area as it was the center of his power base as an Executor and member of the Council of Seven. One could have the neutral agency be mostly smugglers, archeologists, and locals or deserters from a constant War going on in orbit and on the surface between the Grineer and Corpus which has been obscuring the ruins and preventing full discovery of their treasures until now. Baro could be the call to action helping fund some of the antiquarians and such seeking to study the finds while the Grineer and Corpus could have small representatives and of course the deserters from both seeking their own luck but willing to sell parts to make your own versions of some of that faction's tech. The Loyalist Grineer and Corpus could throw up mini-bounties or challenges to sabotage their enemies for rewards; while of course increasing the presence of that faction and towards you for the cycle if the players crushingly support them leading to faction specific problems from the support in orbit who now can focus a little more on distractions like us Tenno with their enemies out of the way. If a plague star is needed, have the tendrils from Deimos occasionally scrape through the atmosphere and dislodge infested matter requiring clean-up by all the factions involved or risk being overwhelmed and losing their footholds.

We might also find the dreadful secret of what the desert skate has such a human face! And why the original Cryotic Front disturbed their nesting so much so plot advancements beyond just the factions and ancient Orokin ruins.

2 hours ago, [DE]Drew said:

GiantSkate.png*

(*for entertainment purposes only. Not indicative of mad science currently happening at DE)

Tbh, gives me vibes of the Juggernaught Bohemoth. Would be a fun short side quest. Perhaps tied in with the fun Animal experiments of "Son" from Deimos that Father had so much killing? Share that fun with the players!

vor einer Stunde schrieb OniDax:

Mercury isn't a desert. It's a space rock like the moon.

Please show me where I even once said that the mercury is a desert.  The part you qouted is just about that mercury would be more fitting for a dessert Openworld, because it's nearest to the sun. And thanks to it's position it's a bit hotter on it's surface (~700K) than on planets like the Mars (~373,15K).

Btw you know that the pulverized form of a rock is sand? Or did you thought that I thought that the Mercury's surface is made out of SiO2?

On 2020-09-16 at 2:09 PM, ES-Flinter said:

Please show me where I even once said that the mercury is a desert.  The part you qouted is just about that mercury would be more fitting for a dessert Openworld, because it's nearest to the sun. And thanks to it's position it's a bit hotter on it's surface (~700K) than on planets like the Mars (~373,15K).

Btw you know that the pulverized form of a rock is sand? Or did you thought that I thought that the Mercury's surface is made out of SiO2?

Do you really not get it? How is a planet that isn't a desert more fitting for a desert open world than a planet that is a desert?  How does being closer to the Sun make Mercury more fitting for a desert open world than Mars? It's like you just played Destiny 2 and thought it was a good idea. Destiny 2 doing that doesn't mean it makes sense. It doesn't. It's laughable that they'd make Mercury a desert, as laughable as DE making Mars a snow planet and Phobos a desert moon in 2013.

And what do you mean, "The part you quoted?" I quoted your entire comment.

Desert open area

Massive dunes, Underground lakes

Giant Skates with a dental plan

Structure like worms

Super hot surface.. limiting exposure time ?

Maybe those tank like vehicles we saw back on Devstream 109

as a mobile base ^

Maybe some more on the Mara faction....

Quoted from wiki

"Despite being from the Orokin Era, it does not appear to be manufactured by the Orokin. As a smuggler's weapon, it may be implied this weapon was designed outside of their authority. It might similarly be speculated this could be a clue to the very early origins of the Corpus."

sign me up....

TSMF

On 2020-09-16 at 11:21 PM, [DE]Drew said:

GiantSkate.png*

(*for entertainment purposes only. Not indicative of mad science currently happening at DE)

That is one terrifying beast! Look at all those blue patches! 

It had better drop 10,000 cryotics and a radiant eidolon shard it managed to eat! *loads Velocitus with agricultural intent*

I do like your idea for Dune like desert with some large enemy like sandworm, but it would be nice if there was some variety to the desert like if there were some canyons, possibly even with rivers and also if there were more then one type of desert, like for example some regions being semi arid desert, yes I am trying to bring into it some wester/space western elements : D.

I could imagine train going through desert possibly being attacked by creatures living in the desert, multiple different methods of traveling the desert, like horse-like mount, flying-bike, sail-powered vehicle(maybe something in style of skiff from gears of war), some kind of buggy.

here are some pics I taken inspiration from:

Spoiler

Best-Space-Western-1-e1558930583499.jpg

Spoiler

80c78c394616dbe5b76a8b4a4ef143cd.jpg

Spoiler

Exoplanet_1.jpg

Spoiler

d78acca07932c03f8d558400f28dd6ab.jpg

Spoiler

display_albert-urmanov-ks-nomads-hd.jpg

Spoiler

western.png

Spoiler

0xLvo0N.jpg

On 2020-09-16 at 10:53 AM, kungfucolin said:

Technically, Deimos is part of Mars, but regarding Mars itself, the basic geography seems to make the most sense to me regarding similarity to Arrakis.
I get that it's difficult to make a desert area interesting, I'm thinking the Night/Day mechanic could be some kind of shifting sand dunes, and when they are in one position, you can extract resources from the desert, and when they are in another position, you can go down into ruins.

I like this idea with the day and night cycles. Could even make it where night is too cold to be on the surface so going underground would be necessary. 

Deimos is it’s own celestial body separate from Mars so it’s terrain and visuals can be vastly different than its host planet which is why moons are great for open worlds. Means they can be anything DE wants them to be.

If the Orokin can terraform the most hellish planet in the origin system, anything is possible. 

I personally think the perfect spot would be a vast open area on Mars’s equator. Even before the terraforming concept, it can achieve habitable temperatures.

Archived