Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe is already on Xbox Series X, loads more than 3x faster

Kaffeebohnson

Just stumbled across Warframe in this Preview of the Xbox Series X:

https://www.theverge.com/21458254/microsoft-xbox-series-x-load-times-performance-gameplay-preview

I was expecting another big announcement and launch event, like when Warframe was ported to Switch, but I guess thanks to backward compatibility, Warframe already runs on next-gen consoles. It also loads way faster, 25 seconds on startup instead of 1:31 min, pretty spiffy.

I guess Xbox/PS4 players can simply log in on their next gen machines with their existing accounts. Almost a bit anti-climactic. ...I bet when Nintendo comes up with the Switch 2, they find some way to make it incompatible, because Nintendo! XD

4 minutes ago, (NSW)Kaffeebohnson said:

Almost a bit anti-climactic

This is a case of "no news is a good news".

But I'm definitely pleased by this news, thanks for pointing this out :)

And I'm sure that DE is going to come out with some bombastic announcement as soon as they realize that the news is already out!

5 minutes ago, (NSW)Kaffeebohnson said:

I bet when Nintendo comes up with the Switch 2, they find some way to make it incompatible, because Nintendo! XD

Some exec at Nintendo is going to read this and take it upon themselves as a challenge to make it a reality.

From what I've heard, Xbox one is pretty unoptimized itself, with warframe in particular has +60GB in storage in the XBox, comparing to PC's ~33GB, and the switch's ~20GB. Its not a surprise that warframe takes a minute and a half to load on the Xbox one.

Xbox Series X is perhaps more optimised and is using a better storage method than Xbox One X, which is why warframe, and any other game, loads significantly faster.

Since DE themselves didn't really have to do anything, I don't think they will give an announcment of this. Only announcement I see going on with this is letting players know you can switch to XBox Series X, and telling existing Xbox one X players that support for your console may stop soon in favor of Xbox Series X.

The funny thing is that due to how the game handles multiple people loading, even if you're on the new system it won't really matter.  Sometimes, you'll still load last.

Most common is the open world areas.  If you're the host, you're always the first to load into the world, but the last to load back into the hub.  It seems like all players have to wait until the host initializes the world before they can actually join, and then when leaving the host has to wait until everyone is gone before they are allowed to destroy the session.

For normal missions, you are forced to wait until all players have loaded before the mission starts.  At least as long as they joined the squad within a certain window of the mission being launched.

The takeaway from all this is that unless you're playing alone or only with next gen systems, the improvements you'll see will be limited.  That'll change as time goes on through, and the systems become more prevalent.

4 hours ago, (NSW)Kaffeebohnson said:

Just stumbled across Warframe in this Preview of the Xbox Series X:

https://www.theverge.com/21458254/microsoft-xbox-series-x-load-times-performance-gameplay-preview

I was expecting another big announcement and launch event, like when Warframe was ported to Switch, but I guess thanks to backward compatibility, Warframe already runs on next-gen consoles. It also loads way faster, 25 seconds on startup instead of 1:31 min, pretty spiffy.

I guess Xbox/PS4 players can simply log in on their next gen machines with their existing accounts. Almost a bit anti-climactic. ...I bet when Nintendo comes up with the Switch 2, they find some way to make it incompatible, because Nintendo! XD

As differant as switch is, its still got an architecture closer to pc than any previous console from them.

I would not be surprised if it is compatible but would hold my breath either.

15 hours ago, (PS4)Lollybomb said:

The funny thing is that due to how the game handles multiple people loading, even if you're on the new system it won't really matter.  Sometimes, you'll still load last.

As someone with an SSD who joins randoms all the time, loading faster has helped in many scenarios that aren't just loading before everyone else as a host.

Ever join a game and while loading it kicks you out because the objective was too far completed? 

Ever join a Void Fissure and not have enough time to get the last bit of reactant?

Ever wanted to quickly change mods or gear before the next mission, but someone already started the vote for next mission and your squad is all ready, so you just decide "Its fine, I don't want the squad to disband."  Although I guess if everyone was loading faster, then this advantage would be irrelevant.

Ever realized it was 23:58 GMT and you didn't daily login yet? 

I've noticed these problems are decently mitigated, and I can only imagine what a built in SSD on better hardware would be like. I will admit however, you can still be subjected to long load times if the connection to host is bad.

15 hours ago, DrivaMain said:

Can’t you console jockeys install an SSD to your existing consoles way back then so you don’t have to deal with the snail speed load times? 

And The Verge logo... oof.

You can put a fast ssd in a ps4 or Xbox 1 but it doesn't matter they have a super slow bus speed to match the super slow default hard drives in those systems so it makes basically zero difference.  I personally tried it on my PS4 (non pro) .  I find it difficult to even play my PS4 account  due to load times vs load times on PC.   The PS4 pro does have a faster bus speed so it would help some there but I think even it caps at 600mbs.  PS5 is over 10x the speed of even the pro.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2020-10-02 at 7:24 PM, DrivaMain said:

Can’t you console jockeys install an SSD to your existing consoles way back then so you don’t have to deal with the snail speed load times? 

And The Verge logo... oof.

Yes.

My load times were faster with the one x than others but with the ssd it's even more faster

10 minutes ago, (XB1)TwinStripeUK said:

And how would that affect loading speeds, exactly?

Faster thread handling and loading into RAM. Instructions spends less time in RAM as the queue times are shorter since processors are processing more instructions in a shorter period of time.

This results in faster loading speeds, of course.

1 hour ago, DoomFruit said:

All I can think about when I read this thread is how utterly stupid Microsoft's naming system is. At least with Sony, you know that the Playstation 5 comes after the Playstation 4, which followed the 3, etc.

Hah, you say that but Sony didnt bother with that naming scheme on thier handhelds

Archived