Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Didn't play for a year, is Valkyr still irrelevant?

SonicSonedit

35 minutes ago, Skaleek said:

Gotta disagree. I used Inaros in arbitrations because of his ability to survive nullifiers and energy drains. Most EHP options that are competitive with Inaros are using abilities

the ones with the highest EHP are, yes, but i very clearly talked about Health Type normalizing (and ergo the dawn of the era of Armor), which obviously doesn't require any Abilities.

Did put all Umbral mods on her, I spend my time reviving people on survival arbitrations xD. I use her in a lot of missions maybe except defenses or high level spy. Did put firewalker its very good(around 50s duration), just finished an Interception on Steel Path using a vauban specter to camp the other side of the map and running around burning everything and clawing madness.

if DE just reworked her, she'd be fine, it's mainly her 1 and her 3 that are the issues. problem is now that we have the Helminth system, good luck ever getting a rework for older frames again over all the cries of "JuSt SuBsUmE X On HeR!"; because people would rather the Helminth Band-Aid than something actually get fixed.

3 hours ago, taiiat said:

the ones with the highest EHP are, yes, but i very clearly talked about Health Type normalizing (and ergo the dawn of the era of Armor), which obviously doesn't require any Abilities.

Right, so who exactly has EHP close to Inaros in this scenario? Maybe I am confused.

I think i understand your OP, you are saying the margins are closer now that shields have a 25% DR and health type was normalized to have neutral damage across the board rather than say, 175% toxin damage on players? Even in that case, with the exception of Hildryn (and even her on paper has far less ehp than Inaros), who comes close to Inaros?

Melee is still the meta.  Valkyr is the most tanky melee frame, baring some edge cases which allow for more "engaging" gameplay than Press 2, occasionally Press 4.  She only shines on the pedestal at high levels since they reworked armor in the beginning of the year; any frame can replace her sub level 100-150.

Until the meta changes her status will not change.  

9 минут назад, Skaleek сказал:

Right, so who exactly has EHP close to Inaros in this scenario? Maybe I am confused.

I think i understand your OP, you are saying the margins are closer now that shields have a 25% DR and health type was normalized to have neutral damage across the board rather than say, 175% toxin damage on players? Even in that case, with the exception of Hildryn (and even her on paper has far less ehp than Inaros), who comes close to Inaros?

I think he can mean that Inaros  becomes very sad, since he didn’t get Shield Gating at all. And while shield gating do nothing directly with EHP , it does increase survivability A LOT, especially for mobile frames... Like Valkyr... And actually that’s why Hildryn will be much more harder than Inaros in perspective, while having much less EHP. 

4 hours ago, Skaleek said:

most Warframes with significant/high Armor are somewhat competitive, aside from the sole exception of Slash Status.

just to name a few:
depending on if you wish to count that or not, Grendel exceeds Inaros once he is holding 10 Enemies(actually i calculated that before Shield and Health Type changes, some amount less than 10 now). competitive without any though.
Atlas Prime is most of the way there, Valkyr Prime and Nidus worth mentioning but not quite the same ballpark yet.
do we include non large Shield Pools plus Modding to take advantage of Shield Gating? kinda hard to quantify that though, and we are still missing any Mods to reduce Recharge Delay.

...This almost feels like that "waking up from a coma, how's my favorite X" meme.

Valkyr is in a tough spot. Three of her four abilities are either useless or in dire need of retooling. She has her Spider-Man rope that was useless from day one, a really short AOE blast that uses and scales off her shields, rather than power strength, and her claws are a decent panic button, but really discourage you from using them because of the drain. Not to mention the fact that with Melee 3.0 2.9999999992 removing channelling, the claws are missing a major factor of their damage. Warcry is still an amazing ability, though, but STILL can't be recast while active for balance really stupid reasons.

@OP 

I think you just arrived at a very good time where Helminth can grant your Valkyr melee cravings to any WF of your choosing and enjoy the best of both worlds. Slap Warcry on to a stealth frame and you'll be near invincible. Infuse it to a farming WF like Nekros, even Atlas if you like. Inaros? Well I guess you already know he's a no brainer, I just find him quite bland for my taste.

Choosing her is still viable, if infused with an ability that will improve her survivability, even in some select Steel Path missions too. But pesonally, she is better played with her Warcry on another WF. If you choose to, melee is very strong in Steel Path, unfortunately, just not with her kit.

I am an atlas main, but valkyr is my second most used frame. I use her (the vanilla version) to help me get through late star chart, thanks to her high innate armor and damage potential. She excals at exterminating, and with prolonged paralysis, she can do defense too (though much underwhelming comparing to other defense frames)

When I got her prime, i tried my best to min-max her survivability (putting all 3 umbral mods and adaptation) , so last month I used her primarily to complete the whole steel path (except interception, spy and hailjack).  Those steel path bosses are jokes in front of valkyr's enraged talons.

With the introduction of the helminth system, I min-maxed her survivability by subsuming paralysis for ice elemental ward, giving her much more armor.

So my build includes:

-growing power,  power drift ,3 umbral mods(used 1 umbral forma), adaptation,eternal war, primed continuity, hunter adrenaline and everlasting ward ( chroma's augment). I also put arcane guardian and avenger.

With this build , she can get 206 power strength with gp active. So her max total armor is 2047+ 700x0.5x2.06(from warcry)+700x1.5x2.06(elemental ward)+900(guardian)=5831, which gives a whooping 95 DR, potentially reaching approximately 97DR when adaptation stacks. I put everlasting ward on her so that she can somewhat fit a support role as an armor buffer (providing around 400% base armor multiplier to teammates).

That's how i play valkyr, as both a viable solo brawler and a support tank. She is never a top-tier frame but I find really comfortable playing her. Therefore i would never consider her as irrelevant.

I forgot to talk about my defense build. It is inspired by a youtuber (ashiyogi tenno). I use prolonged paralysis and overextended to replace everlasting ward and adaptation. So i just keep spamming 3 to pull enemies in and kill them with warcry. It is rather tiring but it is still viable to defend stuff.

Interested folks can watch this video from ashiyogi tenno:

5 minutes ago, pangjohn99 said:

I forgot to talk about my defense build. It is inspired by a youtuber (ashiyogi tenno). I use prolonged paralysis and overextended to replace everlasting ward and adaptation. So i just keep spamming 3 to pull enemies in and kill them with warcry. It is rather tiring but it is still viable to defend stuff.

Interested folks can watch this video from ashiyogi tenno:

Isn't using our imagination and all the tools provided in the game wonderful? 

While I don't think Valkyr will ever be a meta warframe she can be quite powerful with some investment in her. I added Shock and the Shock Trooper Augment together with the Eternal War Augment to her. Put Hysterical Assault into her Exilus slot so you can leap from target to target and enjoy the carnage.

42 minutes ago, (PS4)Madurai-Prime said:

The great think about Valkyr is that you can also remove the speed mod from your weapon and put something else.

Shame that an arcane does the same thing. Also berserker will be a staple of melee builds as long as it remains multiplicative to other speed buffs. 
Plus any frame can have Warcy now, albeit at reduced effectiveness 

Archived