Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Upcoming DTLS Roll-Out!

[DE]Megan

Just now, [DE]Megan said:

DTLS has rolled out with Hotfix 29.6.8!

Please provide any issues you experience in this thread.

On 2020-12-01 at 3:47 PM, [DE]Megan said:

12/1/2020 Status Update:

We're holding the DTLS changes back after a crucial bug discovered from internal testing was found.

Once we've exterminated the bug we'll circle back to launch these changes.

Thanks!

Tenno!

We are testing some new network code out in our next a PC Hotfix. Even though we’ve tested it extensively with volunteers on the Test Cluster we need more coverage!

The primary goal of these changes is to improve networking for Xbox players by replacing some proprietary network code; when these changes make it to Xbox they will enable our automatic proxy service that already helps players with Strict NAT and other network problems on other platforms (this is something we’ve wanted to get to Xbox players for a long time).

The added advantage of this new code is that it should be more secure and more robust on networks that corrupt network packets (we already defend against this to some degree but the new code is more thorough). This won’t make your ping any better but if something is mangling network packets we might be able to avoid it causing bugs in the game.

We’ll be monitoring the roll-out closely and will be able to disable quickly if we encounter problems. Please comment any related issues you have in this thread once the PC Hotfix is live - thanks!

hace 3 horas, [DE]Megan dijo:

Tenno!

We are testing some new network code out in our next PC Hotfix. Even though we’ve tested it extensively with volunteers on the Test Cluster we need more coverage!

The primary goal of these changes is to improve networking for Xbox players by replacing some proprietary network code; when these changes make it to Xbox they will enable our automatic proxy service that already helps players with Strict NAT and other network problems on other platforms (this is something we’ve wanted to get to Xbox players for a long time).

The added advantage of this new code is that it should be more secure and more robust on networks that corrupt network packets (we already defend against this to some degree but the new code is more thorough). This won’t make your ping any better but if something is mangling network packets we might be able to avoid it causing bugs in the game.

We’ll be monitoring the roll-out closely and will be able to disable quickly if we encounter problems. Please comment any related issues you have in this thread once the PC Hotfix is live - thanks!

I'd pay to have an entire devstream about this than about sound if i'm honest...

Tx for the update hope all gous well :)

6 hours ago, 3rdpig said:

So you're using your PC players as beta testers for your Xbox code? 

It ain't the first nor will it be the last time they've done so.

Its been always like this as far as I can remember. PS4 and Xbox did not experience most of the large magnitude of bugs that PC players normally did back in railjack until all said got patched later on.

Although, a significant portion of bugs in warframe are indeed caused by network problems.

Also, in all fairness, I don't think microsoft will be too keen in allowing Xbox players to be used to test Xbox code. They probably would not even let it pass certification.

vor 16 Stunden schrieb tarfeef101:

great, now i have another protocol to read about. i'm gonna go ahead and guess this is basically a way to selectively implement parts of TCP on UDP instead?

DTLS is SSL2 aka TLS (which used TCP )using UDP on steroids ( basicly it avoids the possible TCP meltdown caused by using Tunnels which use TCP). Mainely segmentation and the other udp problems are handled by Warframe itself.

On 2020-12-01 at 1:12 AM, [DE]Megan said:

Strict NAT and other network problems on other platforms

OMG YES PLEASE!
After months and months of testing and studying up on network stuff I've finally figured out that my ISP has a CGNAT based system, giving me Double NAT-related problems, that were so hard to pinpoint.

Which means terrible connection to normal players (but still possible to connect) and literally IMPOSSIBLE connections to my friends in the same city on the same ISP, since they are behind ANOTHER double NAT.

My ISP has totally turned a deaf ear, and I was feeling quite hopeless about this situation. I hope something of this sort ends up helping out! Especially because it turns out quite a few ISPs are not bothering to update for ipv6 but instead retain old ipv4 systems using CGNATs... ;_;

• 1 month later...
On 2020-11-30 at 1:53 PM, tarfeef101 said:

great, now i have another protocol to read about. i'm gonna go ahead and guess this is basically a way to selectively implement parts of TCP on UDP instead?

DTLS is basically the packet encryption and authentication parts of TLS (which is typically over TCP, i.e. HTTPS), but being applied to Datagram packets (UDP).

Archived