Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Magnetic Procs (Post Devstream #152)

Does anyone else dislike DE's plan to make Magnetic procs relevant? Instead reworking mag procs to have a new purpose or a different function (ANYTHING AT ALL), they made an enemy that requires magnetic to break through their thick shields.

I don't know, it just rubbed me the wrong way. It just felt like no effort was put into making magnetic better. Instead of making the bad tools better, they made the bad tools necessary for the sake of less effort.

31 minutes ago, (XBOX)HollowCube987 said:

Does anyone else dislike DE's plan to make Magnetic procs relevant? Instead reworking mag procs to have a new purpose or a different function (ANYTHING AT ALL), they made an enemy that requires magnetic to break through their thick shields.

I don't know, it just rubbed me the wrong way. It just felt like no effort was put into making magnetic better. Instead of making the bad tools better, they made the bad tools necessary for the sake of less effort.

Ehm... No? Magnetic is made to destroy shields, right now is useless because enemies have a small amount of shields and you can bypass it with toxic.

Magnetic is fine, but it doesn't have any use because you can kill the frail Corpus with a single shot with shield and all.  Its the same thing with Cold. Slowing enemies is something really good, but killing them is a lot easier, so Cold procs are useless.

40 minutes ago, (XBOX)HollowCube987 said:

Does anyone else dislike DE's plan to make Magnetic procs relevant?

I expect those dogs to work exactly like the Corpus you get coins from - DPS cap and mostly immune to anything but magnetic damage.

1 hour ago, (XBOX)HollowCube987 said:

That's the right approach in my opinion. Each damage type should have a purpose. 

1 hour ago, Uhkretor said:

... Please explain.

The upcoming sisters of parvos featuring corpus version of kuva liches will have "super shields" according to DE Rebecca , as she said players might want to mod for magnetic damage then taking on them .

19 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

That's the right approach in my opinion. Each damage type should have a purpose.

So the next event boss is going to be immune to anything but blast damage, the one after that cold, etc. Somehow this doesn't appeal to me.

8 minutes ago, bad4youLT said:

The upcoming sisters of parvos featuring corpus version of kuva liches will have "super shields" according to DE Rebecca , as she said players might want to mod for magnetic damage then taking on them .

Oh, that's nice...

... So, it doesn't impact me in any way... Good to know.

Personal big "ehh" is just that the proc does what the damage type does. You mod for Magnetic because it has bonuses against shields. And the status effect...has bonuses against shields. So it's an anti-shield element twice over.

Meanwhile you have Radiation, which is good against some armour types and has a CC factor in its status effect. It's not just the same thing repeated twice.

I'm not hugely against the idea of giving Magnetic a niche (though it probably deserves a bigger niche - Toxin really is a problem in that), but the innate damage bonus system already lets it fit in that niche. There's plenty of room for the status effect to do something else. Like any of the many suggestions given over the years, from bullet attractors to enemy groupers.

Pretty sure they said "magnetic damage was noticeably more effective" not that every other damage was useless against the hounds.

Probably going to be like the treasurers, noticeable DR to everything except magnetic but not complete immunity.

2 hours ago, (XBOX)HollowCube987 said:

they made an enemy that requires magnetic to break through their thick shields.

False.

2 hours ago, Uhkretor said:

... Please explain.

2 hours ago, (XBOX)C11H22O11 said:

What

2 hours ago, o0Despair0o said:

Behold, DE, the master of band aids.

Yeah, with erroneous information in the OP's part.

"Magnetic damage is very powerful against their extremely dense shields."

Go use your usual build against them, but dont ask why its not as effective as a the damage type that is strong against it.

1 hour ago, Traumtulpe said:

So the next event boss is going to be immune to anything but blast damage, the one after that cold, etc. Somehow this doesn't appeal to me.

This would have an argument to stand on if OP's tale was actually true about it being "immune to anything but magnetic" instead of "very effective with magnetic".

Now we have this hyperbole of "you will do no damage aside from X, which means your IPS and other types in the weapon will be reduced to 0".

vor 3 Stunden schrieb (XBOX)HollowCube987:

not really. you can easily install 2-3 new status procs for sent and then you have hardcode damage against a single target with mele.
many play with a maximum of 3 status procs and the rest is for the garbage can. over time it gets boring and experiments are not worthwhile.

3 minutes ago, Kaotyke said:

"you will do no damage aside from X, which means your IPS and other types in the weapon will be reduced to 0"

They said "almost like a little mini boss", and as you can see in the video, they are completely status immune.

Standard for all kinds of bosses, mini or otherwise, is status immunity, DPS cap, and a required damage type.

Just now, Traumtulpe said:

They said "almost like a little mini boss", and as you can see in the video, they are completely status immune.

Standard for all kinds of bosses, mini or otherwise, is status immunity, DPS cap, and a required damage type.

But was your damage aside from magnetic reduced to 0? Because that was what you said here. Not about stats procs.

16 minutes ago, Kaotyke said:

But was your damage aside from magnetic reduced to 0? Because that was what you said here.

Maybe someone else said that? Not me at least.

2 hours ago, Traumtulpe said:

DPS cap and mostly immune to anything but magnetic damage.

You are welcome to use something else than radiation against Eidolons, but they will be mostly immune to it. Not 0 damage, just so much less that you'll be wasting your time.

2 minutes ago, Traumtulpe said:

Maybe someone else said that? Not me at least.

2 hours ago, Traumtulpe said:

This was your response to Jarriga saying about the damage type having a purpose, you went straight to "Immune to anything but X", as if this was what was going to happen with the Hounds.

5 minutes ago, Traumtulpe said:

You are welcome to use something else than radiation against Eidolons, but they will be mostly immune to it. Not 0 damage, just so much less that you'll be wasting your time.

Except they are not immune to it. They have a damage multiplier on them. You will be doing the full damage, with no multipliers and mitigated by armor.

And using Radiation is the best strategy because it has a multiplier of 75% more damage against Alloy Armor and +25% because their health is Robotics.

Same with the Hounds, it will be the best strategy to use magnetic against their shields because it will have a multiplier applied to them when using magnetic damage.

3 hours ago, (XBOX)HollowCube987 said:

This is the perfect way to fix things. 

In my opinion, this is what DE has been needing to do with damage types for a long time. 

Too many of our enemies are too sameness, faction to faction and facerolled by too many of the same things, which makes multiple damage types irrelevant. 

Trying to make all of the what... like 14 damage types (15 if you count true damage?) good sidegrades for general use is madness and a task that will never work, you are fooling yourself if you think that kind of balancing act is plausible, or even possible.  

But creating enemies with various weaknessess and resistances so that at least every damage type has some relevance on some level... now that's realistic. 

That can work. 

1 hour ago, (XBOX)TyeGoo said:

What i don't like is they'll probably have the shields of treasurer's .. because those, especially depending on lvl, make the viability of our arsenal, even with magnetic on them, tighter than a nun's..

I hope I'm utterly wrong and they don't make a 1 to 1 copy of treasurer shields.. 

They don't need to be as tanky as the treasurer, but I would like to see some of his shield mechanics on more corpus enemies, especially tougher units. 

I should not be able to bypass a mostly technology using/robotic faction by just poisoning everything in sight... it's silly. 

They should start by using those shield mechanics for the poor Sergeant pinata. 

Archived