Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

When we going to get real aliens?

Oberick

I wouldnt be surprised if DE introduces "Lovecraftian" aliens or straight up elder gods at some point. Currently we are afterall still only poking around in our own solar system and partly in Tau through in-game lore. Who knows what else is out there or how the void actually connects things.

En 28/6/2021 a las 22:46, NocheLuz dijo:

Aren't humans... Alien??

You know... when in the galaxy with any other species... Humans also counts as aliens, right??

Technically, no. Because the term "extraterrestrial" refers to any entity (living or non-life) of non-terrestrial origin (from planet Earth).

Sentinels may be aliens:

On the border of charted space, an enclave of small, strange, seemingly intelligent creatures was discovered by Tenno explorers. They are mechanical entities, almost organic in appearance, with a precarious resemblance to the fearsome Sentients that had decimated human civilization. However, these creatures showed no signs of aggression, and they immediately began carrying out helpful tasks in peculiar alliance with the Tenno.

The original ones anyway, and assuming they aren't derived from Sentients.

On 2021-06-28 at 2:36 PM, Oberick said:

Everything in game is Human/Orokin or their creations.  How cool would it be to have dudes like this on a planet or living in the void somewhere?

l6SVaQs.jpg

I remember the bit in the lore about how human discovered that they are alone, truly alone, even before the orokin empire era. Essentially, human became their own aliens over a million years or so.

Aesthetically, DE can make any faction in the game to invoke alien-like feel, as you proved with that image. They also claimed quite early in the game development phase that the game won't expand into "galaxy" scale, shortly after settling down mission node name that was suggested by early backer. Therefore, i don't think expand the lore to include true alien faction now would be wise or serve any purpose, since you can already do so much with what we already have.

5 hours ago, Awazx said:

Technically, no. Because the term "extraterrestrial" refers to any entity (living or non-life) of non-terrestrial origin (from planet Earth).

Oh, I didn't know that. I thought Alien means any lifeform who is not from the home planet of each race. Meaning, in the sense of another alien lifeform, we are alien.

But if it's count only from the earth... then, yeah... We are not Aliens.

8 hours ago, NocheLuz said:

Oh, I didn't know that. I thought Alien means any lifeform who is not from the home planet of each race. Meaning, in the sense of another alien lifeform, we are alien.

But if it's count only from the earth... then, yeah... We are not Aliens.

You are correct, we can be "alien" but we cannot be extraterrestrial since we come from earth. 

Which also raises the question, would the Martians in a setting such as The Expanse be considered extraterrestrial? They are no longer originating from Earth nor are they suited to handle Earth's gravity etc. 

On 2021-06-30 at 2:39 AM, MqToasty said:

Okay, then which enemy faction would be the counterpart/oppressor of these peaceful residents of the new open landscape?  We are protecting the Ostrons from the Grineer, the Solaris from the Corpus and the Entrati from the Infested.  Who will be the antagonist of this new alien-inhabited landscape?  And given how "alien" the Orokin-created Sentients turned out to be, I really do not think it would be believable for an unrelated species of aliens to also happen to evolve a head, a torso, two arms and two legs.  Or to have anything that resembled a village and did human things like bartering, fishing, conservation and mining...  While none of this is impossible to retcon, it's just such a thematic shift that, IMHO, would weaken the cohesiveness of the story and lore.

Why do we need to protect them? We can still take bounties/requests from them.  They could be the ones showing us how to survive in an alien landscape. 

Convergent evolution is a thing and as such you can make general assumptions about a species appearance based on its habitat.  If a human can exist on an alien planet then the species living there would generally have forms we would recognize. Bipedalism is much more efficient if you are walking especially long distances which allows more resources to go into thinking. Having manipulators means you can create and/or use tools. Sentients hate the Orokin and wanted to destroy them so they wouldn't ruin anymore planets of course they are not going to want to look like their creators.

1 hour ago, Oberick said:

Sentients hate the Orokin and wanted to destroy them so they wouldn't ruin anymore planets of course they are not going to want to look like their creators.

You're assuming that the Sentients would have preserved any alien life in Tau. I have many reasons to doubt this. If there was any alien life on Tau, it's long gone, wiped out by the Sentients themselves.

I perfectly understand the desire for your sci-fi to get away from bog-standard humans and explore the wonders of the cosmos. I love it when we get stuff that's just utterly, well, alien. The wonderous and the grotesque. But I think you're demanding the wrong means to that end. A central theme of Warframe is that EVERYTHING is Orokin -- you complain like it's a flaw, but it's a fundamental design -- yet it STILL brings us the wonderful varied palette of Warframe's universe. The "standard human flavor" of the Corpus contrasts with a bizarre clones-in-beetle-shells Grineer, the hybrid of plague and terraforming ecosystem that is the Infested, the magic and stylized death machines of the Tenno, the ivory godliness of the Orokin, and the... just freaking weird Sentients. They're all ultimately terrestrial, but they're still ALIEN to the viewer's mind

40 minutes ago, Oberick said:

Why do we need to protect them? We can still take bounties/requests from them.  They could be the ones showing us how to survive in an alien landscape. 

Because thematically that is what Warframe has been about all along?  Because that is what creates conflict and tension, and thus drives plot development?  With so many issues plaguing our solar system, what is the impetus for us to want to survive in an alien landscape, let alone one we do not know how to survive in?  And if they are in our solar system, would the other factions not want to conquer and/or exploit them?

43 minutes ago, Oberick said:

Convergent evolution is a thing and as such you can make general assumptions about a species appearance based on its habitat.  If a human can exist on an alien planet then the species living there would generally have forms we would recognize. Bipedalism is much more efficient if you are walking especially long distances which allows more resources to go into thinking. Having manipulators means you can create and/or use tools. Sentients hate the Orokin and wanted to destroy them so they wouldn't ruin anymore planets of course they are not going to want to look like their creators.

Yes, convergent evolution sometimes occur when different species face similar evolutionary pressures.  But if they are from such an alien planet where we need their help to survive in, why would we expect the selection pressures to be similar?  There are many theories about why bipedalism developed on Earth, but even here it is quite rare.  And as far as I know, prevailing theories do not claim tool use as a main reason for its development.  Plus, why do you need bipedalism to have manipulators?  Elephants are not bipedal, and they manipulate tools just fine.

None of what you are asking for is impossible to introduce into Warframe, but it is just such a departure from what Warframe has been all along, that I really do not see it fitting in.

20 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

You are correct, we can be "alien" but we cannot be extraterrestrial since we come from earth. 

Which also raises the question, would the Martians in a setting such as The Expanse be considered extraterrestrial? They are no longer originating from Earth nor are they suited to handle Earth's gravity etc. 

I suppose it depends on whether you're looking at it in terms of individuals vs species. You could say that those people are extraterrestrial, but Humanity is not.

On 2021-07-02 at 3:10 AM, TARINunit9 said:

You're assuming that the Sentients would have preserved any alien life in Tau. I have many reasons to doubt this. If there was any alien life on Tau, it's long gone, wiped out by the Sentients themselves.

I perfectly understand the desire for your sci-fi to get away from bog-standard humans and explore the wonders of the cosmos. I love it when we get stuff that's just utterly, well, alien. The wonderous and the grotesque. But I think you're demanding the wrong means to that end. A central theme of Warframe is that EVERYTHING is Orokin -- you complain like it's a flaw, but it's a fundamental design -- yet it STILL brings us the wonderful varied palette of Warframe's universe. The "standard human flavor" of the Corpus contrasts with a bizarre clones-in-beetle-shells Grineer, the hybrid of plague and terraforming ecosystem that is the Infested, the magic and stylized death machines of the Tenno, the ivory godliness of the Orokin, and the... just freaking weird Sentients. They're all ultimately terrestrial, but they're still ALIEN to the viewer's mind

The whole point of them turning on the Orokin was that they didn't want the Orokin to ruin Tau like they ruined Earth. Unless its a situation where they don't realize they are just as bad as the Orokin I don't see them wiping out the natural ecosystem of Tau.

They might be alien in your eyes but not everyone's.  They all have human emotions just with different skins.

On 2021-07-02 at 3:23 AM, MqToasty said:

Because thematically that is what Warframe has been about all along?  Because that is what creates conflict and tension, and thus drives plot development?  With so many issues plaguing our solar system, what is the impetus for us to want to survive in an alien landscape, let alone one we do not know how to survive in?  And if they are in our solar system, would the other factions not want to conquer and/or exploit them?

Yes, convergent evolution sometimes occur when different species face similar evolutionary pressures.  But if they are from such an alien planet where we need their help to survive in, why would we expect the selection pressures to be similar?  There are many theories about why bipedalism developed on Earth, but even here it is quite rare.  And as far as I know, prevailing theories do not claim tool use as a main reason for its development.  Plus, why do you need bipedalism to have manipulators?  Elephants are not bipedal, and they manipulate tools just fine.

None of what you are asking for is impossible to introduce into Warframe, but it is just such a departure from what Warframe has been all along, that I really do not see it fitting in.

Eventually we will need to deal with the man in the wall and learn more about the void and who can help us with that?  We are literally the people with the most knowledge about it atm. I guess they could maybe toss in another new tenno who has secretly been studying it but aside from that we could really only get aliens to help us.

Yes you can expect selection pressures to be similar if it was a place we could survive and you were looking for certain characteristics.  A six legged crocodile is going to need to consume more resources than a 4 legged crocodile so its going to need to lose something to make it able to compete with a 4 legged crocodile. And studies have shown that for walking long distances bipedalism is much more efficient. Elephants can manipulate tools ok but not as well as a human.  Crows and other birds can as well but again not as well as something with thumbs.  

2 hours ago, Oberick said:

The whole point of them turning on the Orokin was that they didn't want the Orokin to ruin Tau like they ruined Earth. Unless its a situation where they don't realize they are just as bad as the Orokin I don't see them wiping out the natural ecosystem of Tau.

Methinks somebody forgets what Hunhow called himself:

"I am Hunhow, Sentient destroyer of worlds."

And Erra wasn't any better. Natah talks a big game about being the lesser of two evils. But -99 isn't much better than -101

29 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

And Erra wasn't any better. Natah talks a big game about being the lesser of two evils. But -99 isn't much better than -101

What makes you think he is talking about Tau? Also if he was then that means aliens did/do exist cause he's not just blowing up empty planets.  Meaning there is no need for the story to be human centric.  Also the fact they didn't just blow up all the planets in our solar system shows they want to kill the orokin  and thier creations more than they want to just destroy life.

I think its much more likely he's talking about the Orokin Empire and not literal worlds given the fact he didn't destroy the worlds he actually hated.  

Eventually we will need to deal with the man in the wall and learn more about the void and who can help us with that?

Definitely not non-existent aliens, that's for sure.

And studies have shown that for walking long distances bipedalism is much more efficient. Elephants can manipulate tools ok but not as well as a human.

Yes, that theory claims that being vertical allows for better heat dissipation in our midday sun.  If you want the best form of distance traveling on Earth, then you would have to go with either swimming or flying.  And have you considered that humans may seem to possess the best digits for manipulating objects because we created the tools and objects to suit us?  When it comes to random objects in nature, we cannot lift quite as heavily as an Elephant, and we can not manipulate nearly as many simultaneously as an octopus.  Our physical form is really rather happenstance, and I would credit our societal development more to the (perhaps also happenstance) development of complex symbolic language.

16 minutes ago, Oberick said:

What makes you think he is talking about Tau? Also if he was then that means aliens did/do exist cause he's not just blowing up empty planets.

You don't brag about being a "destroyer of worlds" if they were empty rocks. 

17 minutes ago, Oberick said:

I think its much more likely he's talking about the Orokin Empire and not literal worlds given the fact he didn't destroy the worlds he actually hated.  

I'm assuming that your theory that there even WAS alien life on Tau is true in the first place. If there was, then the megalomaniacal, murderous, genocidal Hunhow would have gleefully annihilated it and reshaped it in his own image.

There are no aliens in the Warframe universe. The closest is the Sentients, and they are very much alien to human recognition (have you been inside a Murex before?)

5 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

You don't brag about being a "destroyer of worlds" if they were empty rocks. 

It depends...Sentients use living matter to reproduce and build themselves and their own ships, i clearly remember a canonical artwork of a sentient ship "eating" a whole planet. 

it could've been filled with other species but it's not a given fact. 

And to be quite honest...Sentients want the Orokins and all that came after them to die. 

they want revenge. why should they seek revenge from other species in other systems? 

8 hours ago, (PSN)max141064 said:

And to be quite honest...Sentients want the Orokins and all that came after them to die. 

they want revenge. why should they seek revenge from other species in other systems? 

You're missing the point. Fighting the evil Orokin doesn't automatically make you the good guy, I've seen more than enough threads about the Tenno arguing that. The Sentients just as bad as the Orokin, they would have butchered and atomized anything they came across -- the Orokin being evil is just an excuse to fire up their war machines

10 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

What stops him from having, for example, destroyed a world controlled by the Orokin? Or the title being a statement of intent, or plainly exaggeration. Plenty of villains have declared themselves "Big Dude the Invincible", especially in fiction, and they have an alarming tendency to be vincible.

As you say, Hunhow is very, very evil, but one claim does not an entire civilisation make. It's stated lore that the reason why the Sentients invaded the system was to prevent the Orokin from destroying Tau's ecosystem. As you say, that in no way makes them moral, but we also have multiple accounts that the Sentients aren't united in thought. Erra's claims, even the ones we can be sure are actually Erra, don't fully match up with Hunhows. Primarily, that Erra believes Hunhow was dead when he appealed to the Lotus. There's also the Eidolon, who showed up after the Tenno betrayal, despite the fact that we know the Lotus hadn't sent any 'go ahead' signals from the absence of other Sentients (doubly, since we know she turned away before even the fall, since the Dax are still active and Tenno-allied during the Erra cutscene), suggesting that it disobeyed the sequence. And of course, the whole Lotus debacle has her and other sentients constantly differing in opinion and thought.

In other words, we know almost nothing about wider Sentient culture, having been exposed to three individuals, all from the same family, who haven't had any confirmed contact with the wider community in thousands of years, and all who were presumably militarised in the first place. There's as much chance that they were a fanaticised cult as they were the leaders of a grand unifed army. As such, beyond a single sentence from Ballas who also has only met Sentients that want to kill the Orokin, any statements about 'The Sentients' as a species are basically pure speculation.

9 hours ago, (PSN)max141064 said:

It depends...Sentients use living matter to reproduce and build themselves and their own ships, i clearly remember a canonical artwork of a sentient ship "eating" a whole planet. 

If it was this one,

Sentient mother ship is fking sick! - General Discussion - Warframe Forums

No, it's consuming ships and asteroids. Notably, primarily the latter which are largely lifeless. Given that they've only ever been described as mechanical outside of the Amalgams - creatures noticablely not fully sentient - and the fact that they seem interested largely in the consumption of non-living material, it's most likely that they're using that material to rebuild themselves the old fashioned way, in a manner of speaking.

Archived