The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is "Warframe 1999" a pretext to release human frame skins?

Drophys

I wouldn't be surprised if we only see the "starter three" (Excalibur, Mag, Volt) in 1999. Maybe the "original eight" (Trinity, Loki, Ember, Rhino, Ash) if we're lucky.

Because a lot of the Warframes we do know about, such as Mirage and Gara, were Orokin political prisoners in a way that isn't compatible with 1999

• Like 1

Don't get your hopes up too much, it's not definitive yet, maybe it's something just for the adventure, Then maybe you are wrong and come to the forum and make 9999 posts disappointed if in the end it's not the case.

Edited by CosoMalvadoNG
misspellings, Add text

Really hard to tell for now since we know next to nothing about it. Would be pretty cool if DE at least made human versions of 8 original frames, and allowed you to play them in the new content. Not expecting them to have time to make 1999 era skins of all the warframes.

Again , hard to tell for now if it's some kinda of hallucination / dream / an actual flashback of sorts or just a wierd meta reference to dark sector... Just hope it's not a big retcon that makes everything we experienced so far a dream or something.

What's a little wierd Excal is already pretty much the only frame where we know exactly his origins, so if he's the only playable character in 1999, are we taking about a retcon ? Or maybe umbra and regular excalibur have different origins... Confusing.

Edited by (PSN)Stealth_Cobra

Personally, I like to go in with minimal expectations and presumptions. Like, sure, I may creatively wonder and speculate, but I would rather be pleasantly surprised with whatever they do creatively, than disappointed by thinking in directions they have no plans or design in creating. Especially since we are so far out. 

Could be cool if that is indeed where they are going, to be clear, but eh, could be a one off self contained prelude (the trailer) and not a good indicator of anything else (also, I am not saying that my approach is what others should do, naturally, its just what I tend to do). 

• Like 1

I think they said at one point that they know what the original faces of all of the Warframes look like, so I actually wouldn't be surprised if we get something like an Arthur excalibur reskin, and eventually other "unframed" reskins as well

When you say 'excuse' I don't think so.

There's too much potential content here to be just a pretext of that, and I doubt that DE will release these as skins for regular play. The whole idea appears to be to push the boundaries of the Entrati-led push into multi-verse (-ahem- Eternalism) theory.

So we'll probably see a straight quest with a reward, and maybe we'll see something we can dip back into on a weekly basis that's similar to the Kahl missions, something that's out of our Warframe grind, but still feels like Warframe. We might even be able to grab more weapons and characters for that mode so that we can try it different ways.

1 hour ago, SneakyErvin said:

I couldnt care less about human skins, however, give me an AK-47 or 74 skin, maybe an AR-15, M-4 or M-16 skin to, and a cherry ontop would be an M82 sniper skin. Maybe some LAW or a Carl Gustav launcher versions. Yum yum.

we have these gun deluxe skins, now we need these rifle deluxe skins xD

What's a little wierd Excal is already pretty much the only frame where we know exactly his origins, so if he's the only playable character in 1999, are we taking about a retcon ? Or maybe umbra and regular excalibur have different origins... Confusing.

their has to be some form of retcon or at least small change in the lore but not what your probably thinking.

umbra is not the first excaliber hes probably not even the hundreth. Umbra was created(transformed) after the warframe project version 2.0 was started! they had already developed the helminth strain for warframe creation at that point.

the big change in the lore is that the warframes went mad. the orokin couldnt control them.  so is aurthur some how resisting the infestation. is he slowly being consumed by it at that point we see in the tennocon reveal?
the orokin originally thought that they had control of the warframe that the infestation didnt effect their mind but it turns out that it did.

why i am trying to say is according to the lore so far, aurthur doesnt require a retcon yet!

17 hours ago, balckillofdeath said:

the big change in the lore is that the warframes went mad. the orokin couldnt control them.  so is aurthur some how resisting the infestation. is he slowly being consumed by it at that point we see in the tennocon reveal?
the orokin originally thought that they had control of the warframe that the infestation didnt effect their mind but it turns out that it did.

why i am trying to say is according to the lore so far, aurthur doesnt require a retcon yet!

No he's not resisting the infestation because chances are extremely high that Arthur isnt actually real. We most likely arent traveling to 1999, we end up in a simulation or a conceptualized version of 1999 where old history is mixed with Orokin past since it comes from the mind of Albrecht. It might simply be the place he goes to when he enters the pod. It wouldnt surprise me if it turns out Wally has escaped and somehow gotten into Albrecht's world or into Albrecht's mind and 1999 is about us trying to help Albrecht get back/wake up.

We have to consider that thousands upon thousands of years have passed since our actual 1999. Just the game itself starts around 1000 years after the Zariman, and at that point there was no war with the sentients so no frames. Then 1999 is some further thousands of years in the past from the pre-Zariman Orokin Empire. That the "person" is refered to as Arthur likely comes from earth legends about Excalibur, and that it resembles the frame is likely because it is a familiar "face" for the tenno transfering into the vessel.

The only real questionable thing about it all is if it is actually a conceptualized world. Since Albrecht never intended to go back after his run in with Wally. However, it is possible that he did decide to go back when he realized that Wally is imprisoned. Albrecht has already potentially been on Duviri, so he might have learned more about the void there. So the reason for him leaving Duviri may also be tied to 1999, which might be a world created similarly to Duviri in order to further strengthen the lock of the prison and not rely on the shady behavior of a mad child king. However, that could mean that Wally has breached into that world from his prison and that is why "Albrecht" is smiling like he does.

Which could mean the Murmurs are Wally's minions, either set loose on reality now that Wally is free, or set loose on reality to help break Wally free much like the intent of angels on the Zariman.

• Like 2

why couldn't Arthur be real? this could have actually all happened in the past!  did even bother reading how orokin originally thought that the mind of the warframes were thought to be untouched by the infestation? i dont know if 1999 is the actual date of the quest but still this could have happenened.  it could quit literally be the start or beginning of the old war!

though important what we say was a flashback into the past!

how are you so certain that there couldnt be warframes(hint they werent called warframes at that point) at that point? i see no reason that either the orokin and sentients couldnt have been at war for nearly 1000 years. their both immortal for all intents and purposes. 

we see that with all of the eidlons and how hunhow has been trapped under uranus for 1000 years yet is mostly intact!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, balckillofdeath said:

why couldn't Arthur be real? this could have actually all happened in the past!  did even bother reading how orokin originally thought that the mind of the warframes were thought to be untouched by the infestation? i dont know if 1999 is the actual date of the quest but still this could have happenened.  it could quit literally be the start or beginning of the old war!

though important what we say was a flashback into the past!

how are you so certain that there couldnt be warframes(hint they werent called warframes at that point) at that point? i see no reason that either the orokin and sentients couldnt have been at war for nearly 1000 years. their both immortal for all intents and purposes. 

we see that with all of the eidlons and how hunhow has been trapped under uranus for 1000 years yet is mostly intact!

It doesnt line up with the actual timeline. A few points.

1. The "infested" in 1999 are a new unknown occurance. Which would make it hard for Arthur to be a frame, since those arent created until several colonies have fallen to the infestation and not until the old war has already raged on for a while. The infestation that destroyed the colonies gets cultivated and turned into helminth. Possibly earlier than the old war since Margulis is experimenting on it to make surrogates for the zariman children.

2. Earth in 1999 is intact. When frames enter the picture Earth is long gone due to pollution and so on, and in the process of getting cleansed by the Orokin using Helminth the infestation. Silvana is working on that when she gets recruited to help Margulis and eventually create Warframes. After which she steals tech and heads back to Earth to try and kick start the infestation used there through transference to heal Earth, ending up with her getting transference stuck within the grove. So again a sign that Arthur isnt an actual frame experiment, since it happens far later than where 1999 takes place.

3. We know full well what original frames look like. None of the ones we've ran into resembles a living human. We have alteast a handful of frames that are implied to be original frames and one that is guanrateed to be one i.e Kullervo.

4. While we dont know exactly how long the old war went on, we more or less know it didnt happen until after the Zariman disappeared, since the Zariman was an attempt to get to Tau to build Rails. If the war already raged on as the Zariman got sent it would have been like throwing a baby into a wolf den to play with Lego. And when the sentient arrive in Sol they make use of the Rails they built, and the Orokin make use of them aswell to attempt an attack on Tau. Which we know from the lore piece that has a soldier describing Tau as blue. We just dont know whom got sent first, Zariman or Sentients. We can just assume that the Zariman was sent before the war started since it was a generation ship and not a combat vessel. The sentients may have simply been assumed lost since they missed their expected deadline for building Rails to link the two star systems.

5. It is unlikely that the war raged on for 1000 years or more. The Orokin were already starting to run out of resources prior to the war, which is why the idea of Tau came about. So sustaining a war between massively advanced factions within an already nearly depleted system is not really probable. And since only Sol and Tau are linked during the war, and travel elsewhere takes time, it is unlikely that a thousand year long war could be sustained by strip mining resources in other systems, since they are still too far away without rail access.

Also dont forget that several other wars have happened prior to the Orokin Empire became a thing. Like the mentioned Radiation Wars (plural) in the game lore. So alot has happened before the infestation and even more has happened before the first frame saw the light of day. Which is why 1999 very likely is either just a simulation with the vessel acting as a massive processor, or it 1999 is a conceptualized void scape where the vessel simply allows us to transfer into it. There is a long long step between that and us traveling through time by transfering into a massive dormant meat puppet, and ending up in a 1999 where the first frames are already established field agents and the infestation has never been heard/seen before.

Edited by SneakyErvin
  • Like 1

It's not like it has to be Warframe's past, it seems much more likely that it's an alternate timeline's past that has some overlap with Warframe's.

And there's straight up a Windows PC in Albrecht's lab, so there's clearly real, physical items being transferred inbetween.

Edited by rapt0rman

I honestly get like Xenoblade 2 vibes, where we have these fancy worlds only to learn that all of it was created from the computer from some genius trying to play god and having it backfire spectacularly, even more than most Orokin.

As for the OP, I'd probably say no, but it would be kinda cool if they gave at least a sentence or two about the specific individuals that became particular warframes.

i have few questions for you!

1. are you sure the infested in 1999 are a new occurence?  not just earlier strain we just dont recognize?

2.  destruction of earth could take a while. personally, when i saw the trailer it looked like the train station was basicially non functional.  meaning that the pollution combined with the infestation means no one chooses to live on earth anymore!

3. does umbra not look human underneith the mask? (remeber their were two phases to the warframe project. pre tenno and post tenno warframes)

4.  this could occur between warframe(more super solider project v1.0) and version super solider project 2.0.

5. based on my understanding of the lore, sentients were definitely sent  first before the zariman,  sentient had to colonize tau to make it somewhat hospitible for the colonist ship.

the zariman was sent soon after,  after a while (as in could have been couple years, the sentients arrived back at the origin system to wage war(didnt have FTL)) the orokin hadnt heard from the zariman assumed it was lost.  the war begins to break out and orokin are starting to fall.  

they unleashed the infestation immedietly after(as in it was contained and consider forbidden weaponry up until that point against the sentients)

the zariman arrives back.  the warframe project v1 was scrapped then accidently discovered the tenno power to control warframes. the warframes become

their this gap between when warframe project shifted from v1 to v2, and thats when warframe 1999 could have happened.

21 hours ago, Raarsi said:

I honestly get like Xenoblade 2 vibes, where we have these fancy worlds only to learn that all of it was created from the computer from some genius trying to play god and having it backfire spectacularly, even more than most Orokin.

To be fair, there are some extra reasons why Klaus pushed the button in the xeno universe. At least it wasn't to restarted it for the 10000 time or to power up a sentient of mass destruction like Saga or Gears

That being said, considering Duviri itself was created from the Operator memories of a book, the parallels to Xenoblade are very likely about 1999 being a created world by Albrecht, hope it also comes with two big tiddy twins too 🫠

• Like 1

4 hours ago, balckillofdeath said:

i have few questions for you!

1. are you sure the infested in 1999 are a new occurence?  not just earlier strain we just dont recognize?

2.  destruction of earth could take a while. personally, when i saw the trailer it looked like the train station was basicially non functional.  meaning that the pollution combined with the infestation means no one chooses to live on earth anymore!

3. does umbra not look human underneith the mask? (remeber their were two phases to the warframe project. pre tenno and post tenno warframes)

4.  this could occur between warframe(more super solider project v1.0) and version super solider project 2.0.

5. based on my understanding of the lore, sentients were definitely sent  first before the zariman,  sentient had to colonize tau to make it somewhat hospitible for the colonist ship.

the zariman was sent soon after,  after a while (as in could have been couple years, the sentients arrived back at the origin system to wage war(didnt have FTL)) the orokin hadnt heard from the zariman assumed it was lost.  the war begins to break out and orokin are starting to fall.  

they unleashed the infestation immedietly after(as in it was contained and consider forbidden weaponry up until that point against the sentients)

the zariman arrives back.  the warframe project v1 was scrapped then accidently discovered the tenno power to control warframes. the warframes become

their this gap between when warframe project shifted from v1 to v2, and thats when warframe 1999 could have happened.

1. In the setting of 1999 they are new. Tied to the Y2K craze but "real". If it was an earlier strain it would still be impossible for it to co-exsist with a frame if it is also occuring during a past time. Since the infestation evolves and has evolved more into what it currently is by the time the first frame is actually made.

2. Even if this event would lead to the destruction of earth it would still make it impossible for a frame to be there at that point, since the first frame isnt created until long after that when the infestation has been harvested and cultivated from the outer colonies. And it isnt like there arent people on "Earth" in 1999. They are all happy and cheering about the new year celebration.

3. Umbra is even later down the line. He isnt created until Ballas decides to betray the Orokin. And which part is his face or not is up for debate considering the description of frames with skin made of sword steel etc. Umbras helm might simply be the "skin" while the Freddy face underneath is what happened when his skin was torn from the muscles where the helm is missing a piece. Just as if we carve away the outer layers of skin and fat down to the muscles.

4. Nope, since the project used to create the first warframes is the same project that is first used to help rehabilitate the children of the Zariman. So Zariman must have disappeared and been found and the children rescued. The Tenno are effectively put on hold in their cryo tubes at the point the project turns into one about war.

5. I wouldnt say definently but it is probable. Reason I say not definently is because Zariman was a generation ship, so might have gotten sent first, but it can also have been sent after. The sentients may have gotten sent because the Zariman disappeared due to a failed void jump, so seen as unsafe for future exploration. So they send the sentients the slow way to Tau to build rails to connect the two systems safely, since rails remove the risks in void travel as per the lore.

And when the sentients attack earth they have FTL since they have rail access at that point. The Orokin built them in Sol and the sentient built them in Tau. Otherwise the Orokin wouldnt have been able to jump to Tau to attack it, which we know they did due to the lore piece mentioned about the soldier.

There is no indication the infestation itself was actually used against the Sentient. Ballas only mentions that they used it in order to create the hybrids a.k.a the warframes. And how they harvested it from the outer colonies that had been ravaged. The only place we know where the infestation was released in it's raw form against the sentient was on Deimos. It could have happened elsewhere aswell, but it is a re-use of the infestation that had already laid waste to many colonies.

1999 being some point in time in between is more or less impossible since in order for v1 to exsist Margulis must have her project stopped, which means Earth is already gone (while it isnt in 1999) because Silvana gets recruited by Margulis from her Earth restoration project. Then after that Margulis has her project stopped, the kids put on ice and everything turned into creating frames.

Not to mention that there is nothing Orokin at all about the 1999 setting, which also means that the void, interplanetary travel within the system or the exsistance of the heart have yet to be discovered, researched or created. And without the void and the heart there are no frames, since even the first were infused and powered by the void/heart, since it is what makes their powers work. 1999 looks like a complete mash up fusion spawned from someones mind, with regular english mixed with strange symbols, symbols that as far as I can tell have zero connection to the Orokin. They are also seen on the most pointless of things while everything important is in english.

Edited by SneakyErvin