The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

gotta admit, worried about Nyx

nyx main, 600+ forma, hundreds of hours for fun.

i really like the base movement and gameplay of warframe, and after mastering every frame over the years and switching between so many different frames and styles over the years i had settled on one that just clicked. Nyx.

i know all her little tricks, her little foibles, how fragile she can be, what a trap some builds can be, how amazing and fun it can be.

much like im sure anyone is with their favorite frame am i right!

im sure everyone puts time and effort into what they enjoy.

however, enough people who dont even play with my frame cried loud enough, saying the thing i liked was bad, the thing i was playing with was no good, it needed changes and reworks. . .

so im about to lose my friend. 

we went through alot together, we had a blast, but enough people made fun of her and called names so she has to be taken away and "fixed" 

i may be wrong, this may be a complete quality of life update where skills just get better, numbers go up, that sort of thing.

or it could be an identity robbing rework (as we have seen)

i came away from tennocon very nervous. everything got overshadowed by that little note for me. I play warframe for Nyx at this point, not for all its story and universe building, any and every scifi universe can have super dense and dramatic lore, you just write it and then its there, look at destiny and halo, i dont PLAY warframe for that. but if my gameplay reason for playing is taken away. . .

just because you didnt like a flavor of chips, does not make it bad or broken, alot of people might really enjoy that flavor and should perhaps be left to enjoy the chips they enjoy, but we do live in an age.  

we shall see i guess. 

i dont have high hopes.

EDIT: got alot of comments about "why 600 forma?" (603 and counting atm) some fun, some quite rude and weirdly hostile, but most curious.

lots of reasons:

-sign of personal mastery, in an MMO i played (DDO) you could TR / reset your character back to 0 and start fresh for little bonuses and little wings by your name, this idea of putting time and effort into one character rather then alts always stuck with me. and number go up. i do this in most games i play, i like one tricks. 

-i like just playing star chart missions, cracking relics, liches, etc. and so i might as well forma and level the frame for fun.

-mechanically once your a high MR forma and being rank 0 does not do anything, my mod capacity does not go down, skills are fully ranked up, the only thing that changes is max stats. Nyx is squishy so her being even more squish makes no nevermind to me. in fact when you rank up you get max energy so i tend to count on the rank up free arcane energize if im honest XD you just kind of get used to always ranking up. 

-a brief "why nyx?" she has a combination of skills that make her very unique, note combination, alot of frames do singular things of her better, but she does all of it good enough and in some cases better. another note is investment, other frames require a whole build to make function, Nyx is cheap, her skills are decent enough at base to not require a billion mods / arcanes to make a single skill function, thus mod space is freed up for comfort and utility that other frames dont have room for. yeah she has no youtube clickbait skill that does 5 billion red crit O face damage when you get 600 power strength on her, but thats good it means you dont need to put the same dumb 600 power strength build on her thats is on every other frame. its okay for some frames to be subtle and understated, and its okay for them to be ignored or not played because of it. frames like Loki and Nyx are not bad, they just are not your style. thats cool, for some of us, its perfect.

Edited by (XBOX)ONI Prowess
  • Like 8

Nyx is getting a light rework. It could change some of her abilities, usually they do thier best to respect the warframe but Nyx's kit is old and they want to update it. OP doesnt want them to update Nyx.

• Like 8

as a nyx main can you defend her skills? what you like about them? this is my c2 from a casual nyx player...

her mindcontrol is fun if a bit gimmicky and having to pump the target to enable the multiplier feels janky

bolts is ok I guess, who dosn't want an armor strip ? I honestly don't fully remember how this works.

chaos I don't get how its any better than an aoe rad proc? which I can get aoe for free from my sentinel constantly and it has a visual indicator.

I actually like her #4 though it suffers a bit, you can take it to hard enough content where it will get instantly wiped, the movement restriction makes it feel horrible, slightly alleviated with the augment but still not great

3 minutes ago, 0_The_F00l said:

Did I miss a memo about nyx getting changes ?

yes her and trinity are getting "light" reworks

• Like 7

hace 1 hora, (XBOX)ONI Prowess dijo:

''If I like something, even if it's horrendously bad, it shouldn't be changed because I like how bad it is'' You wrote a lot but this is what I read. 

Nyx is MEDIOCRE with capital letters, whether you like it or not doesn't make any difference when it comes to a rework.

Edit: This post it's a horrendous joke, I really want to believe that he's just a troll or something.

Edited by CosoMalvadoNG
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, (XBOX)ONI Prowess said:

600+ forma

😬

I'm sorry in advance for your loss, if that's what happens.  But I'm also really pumped for changes to Nyx.  She's a gorgeous frame with an intriguing theme, but she's never really been wonderful.  I think I enjoyed Nyx the most when Steel Path was new, armor strips were few, and CC still had value.  Since then, perspective has made me realize how wanting she is.  Her 1 is atrocious.  Her 2 is clunky compared to other strips.  Her 3 is overrated and unreliable.  And her 4... is... woof.

I don't see how you could look at something like base (or even augmented) Absorb and think, "Yep.  This is good.  This should stay exactly as it is."  It's just like Hydroid's puddle in that sense.  Yeah, the roster is bloating beyond DE's ability to maintain it, and yeah, reworks don't happen as often as they should.  But standout awful abilities should still get addressed.  

Here's hoping they save some energy for Limbo too.

• Like 4

hace 1 hora, _Anise_ dijo:

yes her and trinity are getting "light" reworks

When Pablo reworked inaros that's what he said ''a light rework'', I expect something more consistent with nyx and triny.

What do I expect from Nyx? Make her more like real psych-ops but with lasers and lights.

• Like 1

Nyx is getting a light rework. I think fans of her will still enjoy her. I think it is alright for Nyx given that she doesn't really act as a frame and more of having lots of moving parts even if she isn't high up on the list for rework.

For me personally, I'm worried about which aspects they touch. The passive is a godsend for me but that is the one area people are wanting to see completely ripped out and replaced. Bolts' defense strip exists. Absorb is something that exists.

the fact Pablo said Inaros was getting a "light rework" and they made him amazing sets my expectations high for trinity and nyx "light reworks" I expect almost every ability to be tuned in some way

• Like 4

With respect, Nyx is not bad.

However, my friend, this thread of yours is a lot of words to say that you don't want change. That you think the changes will be bad. That you are upset that they are going to try changing the thing you like.

And that? That's never going to work. DE will update and change literally everything over time.

Historically when they implement new things, there's a definite degree of hit-or-miss with how they implement it. Some things come in too strong and have to be nerfed, some things come in too weak and are abandoned by the player base until they're updated, and some things come in functionally broken and DE spend three months scrambling to get it to work properly in the first place.

Changes, however...

Changes and updates have almost universally been net positive to the thing they change.

For example, Loki got a 'light rework' to his kit. Do you know what it changed about how you play and use Loki? Nothing. Do you know what it did for him? Improved the things that players were calling to be improved. Could it have been improved more? Sure. But this was a 'light rework' and didn't change much. Just gave him a way more consistent Decoy, and a way more functional Switch Teleport. Also gave him a better Augment for Decoy, and that was certainly fun.

Consider this to be the base-line for what DE consider a 'light rework'.

Things they could do for Nyx on the same level;

Have the targeting and enemy capacity of her 2 greatly increased, so that it competes with a similar ability like Tharros Strike, or increasing the effects of the ability so that the limited enemy cap is balanced by a more desired function (like damage boosting, removal of Overguard or similar).

Have Absorb's cost and scaling tweaked to make it more effective to use at all levels.

Switch up her Augments a little so that Chaos Sphere is more effective, or Assimilate allows more free movement, or change Mind Freak so that it doesn't overlap with the existing damage multiplier that's now part of her base kit and instead offers something more significant like... allow multiple mind controlled enemies.

None of these changes would actually change how you play Nyx and enjoy the things you do. You'd just be able to do them better.

And there's probably a few more that somebody like Pablo can think of beyond these.

New things in Warframe? Variable results. Change in Warframe is almost always a positive. Embrace it ^^

• Like 6

We really need more info changing two og frames is a great idea but also spooky. I am one of the few who really really likes nyx but won't lie and tell you she's some hidden gem. She really is unique and would hate to lose that.

Edited by Joylesstuna

18 minutes ago, Voltage said:

This. I'm more nervous about Trinity than Nyx.

Trinity is receiving one massive buff for sure though that only make her better, and that is us being able to toggle the proto skin to not have to deal with her lobster hiney etc.

:clem:👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, (XBOX)ONI Prowess said:

i know all her little tricks, her little foibles, how fragile she can be, what a trap some builds can be, how amazing and fun it can be.

If you know how Absorb specifically works, could you update the wiki or contribute some of that info here (and I'll put it up)? Specifically how the scaling of the radius works, is it a fixed damage threshold? Does that threshold change? Is it linear? Is it an energy consumption threshold? Duration Threshold? Is the high-threat note on the wiki a lie? I've noticed that just casting Chaos will drastically reduce the aggro toward your absorb, making her kit clash with itself, but even ally priming like Radiation will do it too.

As an on-off wiki writer, I'm of the strong belief that publishing a full understanding of a frame's nuances will help players form strategies with them and let people enjoy the frames they wanna use.

Right before tennocon, I gave Nyx a whirl because I thought with the armor changes that Chaos might be viable to turn enemies upon eachother as a source of damage (I also identify with her theme very much, I'd love to make any remote use of her). This ended up doing basically nothing but stalling (which can be griefing for some missions!).

After going through the abilities, it seemed like Mind Control was really the only powerful part of her kit especially with the intro of Jade Eximus, but it could also be used by any other frame...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fallowsthorn said:

Actual question, I'm not being sarcastic: why would you use 600+ Forma on anything? There's only ten mod slots maximum iirc and only ~5 polarities to choose from. Where is all that Forma going?

its a measure of mastery for myself, i remember things that happened or ways i played around certain hundreds of forma that i dont do anymore because i am better now, i look forward to how i might play or what i might learn in the next hundred. 

i forma over the same slots, sometimes swaping a mod here or there to see how it feels

yes i can go play a one button immortal aoe nuke frame and laugh in meta like everyone else.

but that kind of enforces bad habits. Nyx being squishy keeps me competent. 

Like another poster said, I'll like Nyx regardless of what changes because I'm a good player in any frame. I can't do anything about it if changes are planned anyway.

Her bolts stripping armor from more enemies would be nice. I believe it's 6 and 9 with the augment, which isn't much on steel path spawns. 

I always helminth on most frames so I don't care about mind control. 

I hope the 4 stays the same because that's just fun to camp with a Knell Prime and suck in orbs lol.

What he's worried about is that more people will play Nyx, but he wants to be the only Nyx player because hipster.

At any rate... I'm not sure what could possess a human being to forma the same frame 600+ times. I have a hard enough time stomaching a 9th one on a weapon.

I'm pretty sure there's even a "time played as X frame" statistic, so it's not like having a 600+ Nyx shows some weird loyalty to the fictional & faceless character. The time played stat would do that.

600+ formas just shows us DBZ power level amounts of indecision.

Sorry - I guess this post comes off kinda hostile, which wasn't the intention, but... I don't really know what else to say about all this, LOL.

• Like 5

Pablo said "light" rework, so I wouldn't expect any fundamental changes to her kit, maybe just one or two added mechanics to her existing abilities. her gameplay will probably feel the same but with better scaling and less clunkiness hopefully.