Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Oxylus, oh dear.

JCBeastie

I very nearly just bought it you know. Then I thought to myself, I had better check what I'm getting first...

Well Assault Mode drops plenty, so that's not much value, Scan Lifeforms seems a bit pointless; can you even run out Conservation spots? Scan Matter seems inferior to Animal Instinct, while it does boast bigger range, only highlighting containers for 8 seconds seems pretty weak. Then we have the Multron which seems to be the weakest sentinel weapon in game (at least the Artax has utility).

Well what are we left with, a nice skin? It does look good to be fair, but I just can't justify spending plat on it. Why does this require max standing for the blueprint?

I feel like I'm missing something, I feel like DE are missing something. What is the point of this thing? It's just not desirable.

21 minutes ago, Grimmstyler said:

I don't have 1 but i think it's geared toward Conservation

You can just look at the wiki page for it now (Oxylus). It explains the abilities. Both of your guesses are incorrect. What OP says is correct.

The sentinel seems fairly pointless. It looks good, but that is about all it has going for it. Scan Matter is just "Animal Instinct if it was useless". Scan Lifeforms adds to conservation, but I really do not see how it could actually be useful. Given that you have to take that sentinel over say a MOA, Kavat etc. And the weapon is worse than Deth Machine Rifle... 

• It really just needs to be reconsidered and adjusted to make it useful. I see no reason to use this sentinel except for MR fodder. 

Yeah... I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure conservation tracks reset every time you do one. I know last night, at least, I did 3 bolarola hunts off the same track because it kept respawning.

And when the other precept is made obsolete by the extremely common method of running literally any loot radar, this thing is pretty much mastery fodder. I mean I get what they were trying to do, but they didn't do it particularly well.

Now if, say, Scan Lifeforms did something like showing fishing hotspots when you have your rod out, that'd at least be useful.

That sentinel is a "good idea", just not sure there was enough time to fully flesh it out.  The idea of "hot spots" for fishing makes a lot of sense IMO since that can be incredibly annoy in caves and having some tool to make that obvious would be a fair reason to equip that sentinel over others pets/sentinels.

For conservation...it doesn't what it is supposed to do...but is it valuable.   I run itzal archwing and just zip around..thus having 4 more doesn't help me much.   If it spawned another enconter within 100-200 meters of me, that might be more useful.

For containers...some are actually REALLY good.  The amount of loot that drops is actually quite good from the "rare ones".  That is what I would like to see highlighted and thus again justify using this sentinel over another one.  

4 hours ago, Miser_able said:

The question is, is it really fair and accurate to compare a brand new sentinels to ones that have had years to be tweaked and buffed/nerfed into what they are now? Chances are the oxylus won't stay as it is forever. 

i, personally, think that the question is "is it really normal that a sentinel have stuff other sentinels can do, or stuff that have almost no use, when they got so many years with the others to see what works, don't works, and what they should have make it do?" ?

I agree that as it currently stands, this is the most useless sentinel in existence, but it has potential.

DE needs to change the precepts to give it at least some utility. 

• Change Scan Matter to visibly highlight all fishing hotspots, mining nodes, and animal trail start points within a limited range (or some other restriction to keep it from being OP).  
  • Change Scan Lifeforms to help improve hunting (it doesn't seem to do anything at all right now).  It could be something like making the tranq gun silent, giving you a chance at extra tags, or even just doubling the brightness of all animal tracks.

Right now, there is no reason to ever use Oxylus after it hits level 30.

9 minutes ago, idSmoker said:

I agree that as it currently stands, this is the most useless sentinel in existence, but it has potential.

DE needs to change the precepts to give it at least some utility. 

• Change Scan Matter to visibly highlight all fishing hotspots, mining nodes, and animal trail start points within a limited range (or some other restriction to keep it from being OP).  
  • Change Scan Lifeforms to help improve hunting (it doesn't seem to do anything at all right now).  It could be something like making the tranq gun silent, giving you a chance at extra tags, or even just doubling the brightness of all animal tracks.

Right now, there is no reason to ever use Oxylus after it hits level 30.

At the same time people would complain that it's either more useless or p2w if it worked like that.

You need tier 5 with them to buy the Sentinel in the first place which by then players don't need nearly as many resources unless they only want to farm Floofs.

And if it was that helpful with gathering then people would feel obligated to buy it with plat to speed up their progress when the Sentinel would be most useful.

1 minute ago, trst said:

At the same time people would complain that it's either more useless or p2w if it worked like that.

You need tier 5 with them to buy the Sentinel in the first place which by then players don't need nearly as many resources unless they only want to farm Floofs.

And if it was that helpful with gathering then people would feel obligated to buy it with plat to speed up their progress when the Sentinel would be most useful.

But leaving it useless as it is certainly not the solution.

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

But leaving it useless as it is certainly not the solution.

True. But making it a dedicated "open world" gathering assistant could get it more flak than it does now.

Personally I'd make it's precepts generic Sentinel/Moa mods, even improved versions, and replace the Oxylus' with something entirely different.

A fearsome Sentinel! Okay, a pretty unremarkable sentinel, with default precepts that do not seem to accomplish much. Like it does all of the regular sentinel stuff, but that's about it.

Scan Lifeforms and Scan Matter need to up their game a bit.

I propose that Scan Lifeforms allow the sentinel to perma-mark enemies on your radar, anything that it and/or its warframe get a look at or detect on their other radar stays marked so that you can outmaneuver them properly. Revealing the outlines of nearby fish and wildlife would also be handy, but Oxy's precepts should do something useful even when not out on the Vallis. As it stands, it's basically worth a slight reduction in travel time and that's a bit of a letdown.

Scan Minerals can stop being a halfhearted loot radar and start giving random bonus resource drops or giving us a crit chance bonus (by detecting the flaws in enemy armour).

Personally I would be fine if it wasn't at all that combat amazing, but if it is going to be the "Free Roam Utility Sentinel" make it such. It should help with mining, fishing, conservation, cave exploring, everything we do in Free Roam. Have it mark fish, increase the quality of fish spawns, help with conservation, mark out mining nodes clearly, provide a trail to the surface once you enter caves. Really make it the free roam utility bot. At least then I might take it when I go to do the non-combat activities rather than just say "yeah moa is good"

5 hours ago, LXSL8 said:

A fearsome Sentinel! Okay, a pretty unremarkable sentinel, with default precepts that do not seem to accomplish much. Like it does all of the regular sentinel stuff, but that's about it.

Scan Lifeforms and Scan Matter need to up their game a bit.

I propose that Scan Lifeforms allow the sentinel to perma-mark enemies on your radar, anything that it and/or its warframe get a look at or detect on their other radar stays marked so that you can outmaneuver them properly. Revealing the outlines of nearby fish and wildlife would also be handy, but Oxy's precepts should do something useful even when not out on the Vallis. As it stands, it's basically worth a slight reduction in travel time and that's a bit of a letdown.

Scan Minerals can stop being a halfhearted loot radar and start giving random bonus resource drops or giving us a crit chance bonus (by detecting the flaws in enemy armour).

2 hours ago, squirrel_killer- said:

Personally I would be fine if it wasn't at all that combat amazing, but if it is going to be the "Free Roam Utility Sentinel" make it such. It should help with mining, fishing, conservation, cave exploring, everything we do in Free Roam. Have it mark fish, increase the quality of fish spawns, help with conservation, mark out mining nodes clearly, provide a trail to the surface once you enter caves. Really make it the free roam utility bot. At least then I might take it when I go to do the non-combat activities rather than just say "yeah moa is good"

1 hour ago, Braneman said:

Scan lifeforms should highlight fish like dye does, and scan matter should highlight mining nodes through walls.

All of those sound like amazing upgrades. Making it into, as @squirrel_killer- put it; *the* free roam utility sentinel sounds like a good plan, imo.

And with that in mind, I think it would be nice to also let it have a "lure point" radar, so you don't need to manually track for Conservation spots as far. Maybe also let you see animals (and enemies?) through walls like a Scanner, further aiding with Conservation hunts.

Edited by Azamagon

Scan Matter should be a hot/cold system that scouts out ayatan sculptures, rare crates, syndicate medallions, and sabotage caches.  Both alerting you when it senses something in the mission, and helping you to better locate it.

Scan life forms mainly needs to be fixed.  Right now all it does is break conservation by removing everything that isn't pobbers.  I agree it could use more added even after it's fixed.  Increasing the spawn frequency of fish and servofish, perhaps?  Increasing spawns of kavats in derilicts and kubrow dens on Earth?

Hey Tenno, thanks for all your feedback! The team has been gathering community sentiments on the Oxylus and its precepts, and we agree that they aren't offering more support or utility as we'd like. We will be making some changes to the Precepts -- more details to come in the future!

23 minutes ago, [DE]Taylor said:

Hey Tenno, thanks for all your feedback! The team has been gathering community sentiments on the Oxylus and its precepts, and we agree that they aren't offering more support or utility as we'd like. We will be making some changes to the Precepts -- more details to come in the future!

Just do not limit it to Fortuna, please!

And thank you for listening the community.

1 hour ago, [DE]Taylor said:

Oxylus is to help scan lifeform etc... but it requires max rank syndicate to be able to get it, by that time, we have already scanned almost everything in OV with helios, which completely serves no purpose of Oxylus being locked behind max rank syndicate offering.