Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What annoys you with interceptions? And what's your style in interceptions and why?

Zi-Sui

Question

For me the annoyance is the people running around, ignoring the capping points, the flags, the nodes, ABCD.

It has bugged me, much more in the past than it has now. Because it's more likely to lose a base when someone's running around doing whatever, than by standing in your post.

Before you say stuff like "it's on you if you feel bugged about it", let me say, yeah it is on me. My first interception was a discouraging failure, and it seems like the only game mode where you really need to rely on your team, of course in addition to eidolons. In eidolons I just don't see people doing their own thing being open liabilities. Maybe because I ain't got time to watch what others do, or because I understand it's such a learning fight compared to interception. Those two ain't the same. I get it even arbitrations interception fights have less incentive, the only interceptions I do really, and the incentive makes it better for me, because I see others being there for the same reason, not just to mess around. I get it you want to push your limits and all that, have fun, and I feel the same. But when you lose a base and lose time, and it has happened so often in the past before arbitrations... I guess there's a caring gap or something too. I used to care more and saw people caring less. It has changed, though. Looking back, I understand that before arbitrations, interceptions were so easy (except perhaps sortie ones) that you didn't really need to put any effort to win the necessary rounds. It just felt unreliable and a bit disrespectful but I think I was being the disrespectful one too, inside, not respecting the fact people play games for fun and enjoyment and to express themselves even at a cost for others, even a very light cost. The time spent costs nothing, increased stress hormones in your body due to teammates acting wild, they cost more. 

You can't make an omelet without breaking the eggs so I ain't judging. Warframe is not Rust, but it is also not Sims. It's in-between those and accommodates a wide range from both ends of that spectrum of thrill-seekers to chillers. And it's not wrong to be a thrill-seeker in one day, and a chiller in another, if you like change there.

So you end up getting both kind of people in one mission, one mutual session. It's a place of coexistence. I ain't gonna tell myself it's wrong to get agitated over those things, but I can ask myself why I get agitated over those things. And I ain't gonna play an hour in a way that's not me, if it's not for a clanmate or something and I get stuff in return perhaps, something mutually receptive. But, I ain't also gonna flame the person running around in interception even if we'd happen to lose a game because of it, not that it happens... but if it did, I'd say I wouldn't blame them. Not directly at least. Lamenting the loss in chat should be enough for anyone with normal brain capacity to realize, at least subconsciously, that they might have wronged the other players with their carelessness.

I like to be the good guy, so I do what I think is best for the team but also something I find myself enjoying doing. Which in interceptions is guarding a point like a dog with a short leash, and removing the leash briefly once the round is over to clean up stragglers. It's clean, it's what I see as a reliable way of doing, and because interception is a team effort more so than other mission types, I want to contribute more reliably, so people wouldn't had to be disappointed because of me. But I'm not going out of my way to do more than my share either, if it's not something I don't feel like doing. I see team games like interception like human health: it's enough each vital organ works normally, no need for very very good function, but it's important to be reliable and not have a heart attack or liver failure or something, even if you were on your peak performance most of the time. Reliability is a good base to build things on. So I do that.

When I solo, or team up with people who can and dont mind carrying me, because I do the same for them at the drop of the hat and they know it, things are different. But public interception: different house different rules.

Reliability doesn't have to mean the end of creativity and self-expression. You can have both. In team games I'd rather let my caring part be the leader of me, and the self-expression and creativity be foot soldiers, so that the team is better off and can have their rewards and the feeling of success and the dopamine rush in the end.

Warframe has a wonderful community of people acting like people, not vicious pack of rabid wolverines. Well, I don't know if that can be said from the way they act towards in-game PvE enemies, but for each other... off-topic: I wish there was a frame that gave some happy psychedelic sedative to enemies and let them live a while before their impending death, like crowd control and death with nice lore lol. Like a kiss of death of a kind yet deadly seducer. You can always dream :)

• Like 1

I have no particular annoyances with interceptions.
And having only read your first paragraph, it seems you don't either... More like you have a issue of having only interacted with bad players, and not taking the time to at least attempt on instructing them on how to play.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ReaverKane said:

I have no particular annoyances with interceptions.
And having only read your first paragraph, it seems you don't either... More like you have a issue of having only interacted with bad players, and not taking the time to at least attempt on instructing them on how to play.

Um... what if they like being bad? Because something is more important to them than being the best and most skillfull or even the best they could be in game? Like self-expression?

And I know, they might be too shy, but there's a lot of "they might" and assumptions... I don't like those. I'd rather have them ask for help if they need it, or if we're having serious trouble and clearly seeing the reason, then maybe once suggesting a course of action.

Edited by GOOFBALL1

1 minute ago, GOOFBALL1 said:

It has bugged me, much more in the past than it has now. Because it's more likely to lose a base when someone's running around doing whatever, than by standing in your post.

I sound like a broken Vinyl in the meantime, but...Solo?

K06vSwM.jpg

Sortie 3, Solo, Enemies took 7%

I like Interceptions against Grineer and Infested. Corpus will be skipped

• Like 1

I generally hate these kind of anti-Warframe missions where all you do is sit around and do F all for minutes and minutes. That's what Interception is, a waste of time, an anti-Warframe mode that wouldn't be out of place in any generic shooter. It's boring, it takes too long, the enemy pathing is generally horrible, the maps are either way too big or way too small, and did I mention how boring they are?

Like, maybe they are fun with others, cause others are incompetent and make you run around to clean up after their screw-ups, but as a solo player, I capture each point, return to the first capture point and just sit there for minutes while nothing happens. Yawn.

Solo? Nah. It's no big deal. And arbitration interceptions are a thing so ain't gonna miss those archgun rivens just because it's an interception day. Failure is an option.

Solo might be nice challenge when I feel like pushing myself, thanks for the tip & reminder on that one though 🙂 

Edited by GOOFBALL1

11 minutes ago, GOOFBALL1 said:

Um... what if they like being bad? Because something is more important to them than being the best and most skillfull or even the best they could be in game? Like self-expression?

And I know, they might be too shy, but there's a lot of "they might" and assumptions... I don't like those. I'd rather have them ask for help if they need it, or if we're having serious trouble and clearly seeing the reason, then maybe once suggesting a course of action.

Well, that kind of mindeset has a flip side... Because my form of self expression (or yours) can be that you like to boss around and tell everyone exactly what to do... Who's to say who's form of self expression is prevalent.

2 minutes ago, Gabbynaru said:

I generally hate these kind of anti-Warframe missions where all you do is sit around and do F all for minutes and minutes. That's what Interception is, a waste of time, an anti-Warframe mode that wouldn't be out of place in any generic shooter. It's boring, it takes too long, the enemy pathing is generally horrible, the maps are either way too big or way too small, and did I mention how boring they are?

Like, maybe they are fun with others, cause others are incompetent and make you run around to clean up after their screw-ups, but as a solo player, I capture each point, return to the first capture point and just sit there for minutes while nothing happens. Yawn.

Ok... press 4 to win isn't anti-warframe... It's exactly how you best use some warframes... That expression is actually utterly incoherent, how can anything that uses a warframe be anti-warframe? You could call it anti-shooting, anti-weapon, but anti-warframe, if by definition you're actually USING warframe powers....
Also, Interceptions are actually the mission type where anything goes, since ideally each player would sit at their tower for most of the mission, each one can more or less be allowed to use whichever strategy they like. Unlike other game types, where you have mostly a single objective, and everyone is going the same way doing mostly the same task, interceptions are more prone to allow each player to do their thing...
Of course, a max Ability Range saryn or volt, or equinox, might be able to overpower the whole map, but then, who doesn't like a chill ride?

25 minutes ago, GOOFBALL1 said:

For me the annoyance is the people running around, ignoring the capping points, the flags, the nodes, ABCD.

This. I literally hate going on it with randoms. It's always messy.

Also I hate when someone "helps" me capturing the point at the beginning in stead of taking his own and makes me leave it to him. That's really annoying.

What is my best way to go around? Slow nova+Oberon/Wisp/Oberon+Wisp+Khora etc... There are many combinations in fact. Personally I like playing slowa with 90+m range to cover almost all the map. But here I'm speaking about arbitration.

Edited by TeaHawk

Interceptions seem to be one of the few mission types where the team is usually on board with what has to happen. That's rare. Well, more rare than it should be. 

My only real complaint are the large numbers of tenno that leave after only one or two rotations, but you see this in all missions. I usually bring 'frame that can go it alone for at least four rotations just because of this sort of thing. 

A few of the maps don't seem well suited to this mission type, but the Earth intercepts are always a prize when they appear. Those work well, even if one is a bit on the small side (almost all intercepts should be on larger maps, just sayin'...). 

1 minute ago, ReaverKane said:

Ok... press 4 to win isn't anti-warframe... It's exactly how you best use some warframes... That expression is actually utterly incoherent, how can anything that uses a warframe be anti-warframe? You could call it anti-shooting, anti-weapon, but anti-warframe, if by definition you're actually USING warframe powers....

Also, Interceptions are actually the mission type where anything goes, since ideally each player would sit at their tower for most of the mission, each one can more or less be allowed to use whichever strategy they like. Unlike other game types, where you have mostly a single objective, and everyone is going the same way doing mostly the same task, interceptions are more prone to allow each player to do their thing...
Of course, a max Ability Range saryn or volt, or equinox, might be able to overpower the whole map, but then, who doesn't like a chill ride?

Except that what I mean by "anti-warframe" is that Warframe is a game about hyperactive kids moving their mobile fortresses at high speed and killing things faster than those things can see them. Interception (and Defense, as well as mob-defense and deception to a degree) is the Anti-Warframe, because the optimal way to play them is to sit freakin' still and, as you said, press 4 to win. It's dead boring compared to bouncing off the walls and ceilings like a cartoon character on speed.

2 minutes ago, Sloan441 said:

My only real complaint are the large numbers of tenno that leave after only one or two rotations, but you see this in all missions.

I think the problem is Interception feels slower than other game modes really. 2 Waves feel super dragging VS 10 waves of defense, for some reason. Probably could use a few tweaks now.

Nothing. I like interceptions, they're actually one of my favourite game modes. But I'm also an Ivara player by nature and interceptions are her bread and butter, so that probably explains a lot about why I enjoy them too.

Edited by BlindStalker
  • Like 1

There is your problem.

Interceptions are much faster to solo. (unless it's a fissure, in which case there are way better game modes for that than Interceptions)

I used to be annoyed by pugs running around like a headless chicken, losing points and wasting time, but you can completely ignore this game mode or solo it if you need to, or use a mass cc frame, but you can do that solo, without risking host migrations and other possible pug matchmaking related inconsistenties.

My "favorite" is that one player who at the start of the Round, when everyone else is on "their" respective point,
decides to join someone, so that one point becomes capped and enemies start spawning
while none of the others are done and one is in fact still sitting at 0, now in enemy possession.

Like, 4 players, 4 points, how is it not obvious what to do.

A Frost protecting enemies from our ranged weapons with (non-Chilling) Globes
that are usually also too small to at least actually cover both capture consoles, that's always fun, as well.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

Giant Wall Of Text.... 

Pointless reply...

More on topic: I jump into (public) interceptions with the mindset of solo'ing it...the others can do whatever...if they're not in the way, that's a plus. If they are in the way, it's just another day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NightmareT12 said:

I think the problem is Interception feels slower than other game modes really. 2 Waves feel super dragging VS 10 waves of defense, for some reason. Probably could use a few tweaks now.

I think it's more of a matter of the enemies tending to push only one or two nodes. Those tenno there often have their hands full, where the others are twiddling thumbs waiting for something to happen. This would be exacerbated on large maps. 

I still like the game mode better than most, but there are always tweaks to be made. 

44 minutes ago, NinjaZeku said:

Like, 4 players, 4 points, how is it not obvious what to do.

A case in point. The problem here is two or three of those players are going to be standing around waiting for something to happen. They'll tend to go to the sound of the guns just through boredom. That's when the cap roulette starts. This isn't a problem if you don't let don't let the AI sit on a cap (or three), but it's also where the chaos starts. It can be fun and certainly doable, but it can really throw off players unfamiliar with how intercepts work. 

• Like 2

I'm the stand perfectly still at one tower with a CC frame not killing anything but making sure nobody comes near my console player. I don't really care how other people play but if they keep losing their tower because they're running off to chase kills I tell them "It'll go faster if you stay at your tower." Beyond that, I don't really instruct/care much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gabbynaru said:

I don't think it's "anti-Warframe"; it provides a place for cc frames. Of course, nuke/kill frames can just wipe the map and prevent tower captures that way, but this is one of the few game modes where a pure cc frame works just fine as well.

I generally prefer to just solo it. It's easy to do and I can get it done faster than a group of 4.
If I'm playing with my friends then you know I'm going for Limbo/Octavia and I'm completing this in easy mode.

I have limited playtime so I don't want to deal with people goofing around and making the mission take longer than necessary if I can help it.
I'm usually either helping people out to complete something because they personally came to ask me or they asked in recruit chat and I saw it.
Or I'm trusting my allies in sortie spy/lua rescue because those are some of the missions that are just faster and/or more efficient in group play.

If I'm helping people, there are a few things I tend to run but one of my favorites is just Limbo/Octavia to secure one spot and then I can secure another spot allowing me to cover 2 spots at a time. Even of the other two spots fail completely so long as we get an edge me maintaining two spots will let us win in the end. If we're against grineer/infested I will sometimes run Vauban and just cover the whole map and beg my allies to not kill anything if we just want it done fast.

Solo, I'll do Nyx or Ivara mostly. Sometimes Vauban.

If you're going with pubs, treat every mission as solo and be ready to everything yourself. For interceptions I either run Khora or max range/efficiency Banshee to stunlock most of the map by myself. What annoys me is a stupid high ammount of energy leeches in Infested interceptions..

Being a solo player, I for the most part enjoy interception and they're easy. The one thing that really annoys me about this mode. 

Why is it, if I'm standing at a point, the enemy can capture it. However if the enemy are at a point and I go there, there's a "conflict" until I kill them all?

Edited by --Brandt--

10 minutes ago, --Brandt-- said:

Being a solo player, I for the most part enjoy interception and they're easy. The one thing that really annoys me about this mode. 

Why is it, if I'm standing at a point, the enemy can capture it. However if the enemy are at a point and I go there, there's a "conflict" until I kill them all?

Just a limitation of game mechanics, I guess. Enemy just needs to access the console to take possession of it but we have to stand around and neutralize first. I'm not sure what the canonical reasons are but I think in lore those consoles belong to the factions - it's their "security stations" or whatnot - while we have to take it by force.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, (XB1)x ARTaco x said:

most of the time they're easier to solo i notice. if they aren't just whip out a few specters and a WF to lock/slow down the map. since you're just running out the clock high kill count is irrelevant.

I have about 1000 hours but I've never used a specter. Are they smart enough to actually defend towers? What specters do you use?