Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tencent on the hunt to buy Warframe? (Deal not confirmed/final)

NerdyJew-bij
Message added by Letter13

Please remember to keep discussion civil. No, this isn't the end of Warframe. The same sort of over-sensationalized prophesying happened 4+ years ago when Leyou (formerly Sumpo) bought shares in DE; people said it'd turn into 'all-lootboxes' and 'pay-to-win' and that DE 'would have zero control' and guess what? All bupkis.

Speculation is fine, as long as you're cognizant of the difference between opinions and facts, and as long as you're not spreading misinformation (intentionally or not). If you feel so strongly about this that want to leave the game, that's your prerogative (and loss) and is also fine.

44 minutes ago, LegendaryMalice said:

How did I come to this? Easy! Start the game and buy no plat at all ever see how long it takes you, now start a new account and buy everything with plat. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the player with $$$ will always be ahead of THAT OTHER GUY.

Sorry but that isn't actually true...

• Nightwave awards slots
  • Slots are frequently given with Operations/Events
  • There hasn't been a potato famine in forever.
  • Plat can still be traded for.

Trying to slick call WF P2W in a wall of text about phones and your poor choices in mobile plans isn't going to suddenly make the game P2W.

48 minutes ago, LegendaryMalice said:

So essentially the game is already classified P2W and the funding is 89% dependent on microtransactions.

Cite a source....A reputable one. 

48 minutes ago, LegendaryMalice said:

Warframe is listed 3rd in popular P2W game designs.

Cite a source. Same req applies

Absent that, Why in the heck would you bother with Inaros Prime if you plan to leave the game anyway?

You could just leave now...

Spend that time farming Inaros on something more productive.... like finding a better mobile plan.

11 hours ago, Hawk197 said:

If this deal goes through, you can bet alot of players would drop this game in a heartbeat. Because China wants to be the world police I won't mention it by name (Since I don't know what trouble it could cause DE), but with current events that has gone on and how closely tied Tencent is to the Government there, I wouldn't be shocked if Warframe gets banned in many parts of the world. Tiktok is already getting banned due to privacy concerns, Valorant had/has an anti-cheat that was/is system level (Which if you know anything about programming, this is a VERY bad thing), and of course the scummy practices from other games owned in part by Tencent.

If you don't care about your privacy, great. If you're using a machine solely dedicated to Warframe and don't use it for anything else, great. But remember, you may or may not have a choice in the matter when the Government of whatever country you live in steps in and blocks Chinese products and companies. If you want more examples of this, just look up WeChat, which is also in consideration for restriction or straight up banning.

DE is still a Canadian Company and Still subject to Canadian Law. 

If DE were to move to China then youd have an arguement but I highly doubt that will happen.

13 hours ago, (XB1)Skippy575 said:

Tencent would have to negotiate a contract specifically with DE to do anything with the game. 

Tencent doesn't change things in games, they (as investors) choke their companies to meet a profit goal and those companies have to come up with microtransactions and predatory models to make enough for it or we could see an increase of platinum costs in the marketplace. Warframe's current F2P model is really good, one of the best in my opinion, and my concern with Tencent acquiring DE is basically ruining that model. People who have played games whose parent company is Tencent already felt it, concern comes for a reason (CCP politics aside).

6 minutes ago, (PS4)lumen2ne1 said:

Tencent doesn't change things in games, they (as investors) choke their companies to meet a profit goal and those companies have to come up with microtransactions and predatory models to make enough for it or we could see an increase of platinum costs in the marketplace. Warframe's current F2P model is really good, one of the best in my opinion, and my concern with Tencent acquiring DE is basically ruining that model. People who have played games whose parent company is Tencent already felt it, concern comes for a reason (CCP politics aside).

Finally someone got it right. 

That's exactly my concern and the reason why Sony was a better choice. Tencent can sent this game to an end of they decide to choke DE. We will notice it intermediately. You know what is the irony of this that many people who stayed in War Frame where ex Destiny players. Now if Tencent decides to choke DE many of these players will return to Destiny 2. 

26 minutes ago, (PS4)lumen2ne1 said:

That only applies to (some) games developed directly for Tencent. It doesnt apply to games that have had their shares bought out by Tencent.

23 minutes ago, Felsagger said:

That's exactly my concern and the reason why Sony was a better choice. Tencent can sent this game to an end of they decide to choke DE. We will notice it intermediately. You know what is the irony of this that many people who stayed in War Frame where ex Destiny players. Now if Tencent decides to choke DE many of these players will return to Destiny 2. 

That is very doubful since Destiny 2 and WF are night and day. One isnt a substitute for the other. There is also the whole thing about Destiny 2 not actually being F2P, which is something that would be a dealbreaker for many, not to mention that they still run the same scummy monetization that Activision got blamed for along with recycled content you need to pay for in that scummy monetization model.

The funny thing is people throw around claims about games being destroyed by Tencent yet have no examples as proof. Except for a few that are far from being influenced by Tencent directly. While the games that are directly tied to Tencent have seen no changes at all (LoL and PoE).

47 minutes ago, Felsagger said:

That's exactly my concern and the reason why Sony was a better choice. 

Funny is that Sony has no problem with Tencent while You have. I play on PS since PS one release, but I’m against SONY here because game will probably loose lots of players, especially from Xbox.

Just now, (PS4)Onder6099 said:

Funny is that Sony has no problem with Tencent while You have. I play on PS since PS one release, but I’m against SONY here because game will probably loose lots of players, especially from Xbox.

No I don't. I'm having problem with the inevitable destiny of War Frame. Do you realize that people are getting trade penalized for farming long hours in the game? Can you see where this train wreak is heading? 

Sony will not meddle with Xbox clients. The game will remain multi platform. Why all of the sudden people think that Sony will do such bad move of pulling an exclusive on War Frame? That's beyond silly. 

39 minutes ago, Felsagger said:

No I don't. I'm having problem with the inevitable destiny of War Frame. Do you realize that people are getting trade penalized for farming long hours in the game? Can you see where this train wreak is heading? 

This must be confirmed by DE, IMO it’s more about envy players.

40 minutes ago, Felsagger said:

Sony will not meddle with Xbox clients. The game will remain multi platform. Why all of the sudden people think that Sony will do such bad move of pulling an exclusive on War Frame? That's beyond silly. 

Servers will become SONY, will you let someone to sell same goods as you in your store? 

Title.

Tencent is the gaming arm of the Chinese Government, and it already is into way too many games (and it already made their monetizations much worse than they were). I love Warframe. 

Please. Please DE. Don't let us Tenno fall to this.

3 minutes ago, HyperDiver said:

Title.

Tencent is the gaming arm of the Chinese Government, and it already is into way too many games (and it already made their monetizations much worse than they were). I love Warframe. 

Please. Please DE. Don't let us Tenno fall to this.

Thing is DE has no power here. It's in the hands of their chinese masters now. Better start use vpn and virtual machine lmao.

DE has pretty much no say in it... Unless they have enough capital to buy themselves out, maybe. Tencent isn't buying Warframe, they're buying the company that owns like 90% of DE.
Also, dude, if you know just how many things are owned by Chinese Companies (which are mostly controlled by the CCP), you'd probably shut yourself in a cave. Even the current owners are "Chinese" being Hong Kong based.
I'd suggest not fretting too much about it... Yeah, the Chinese Government is a terrible Human Rights Violator, but then again, so is the USA.

Justo ahora, ReaverKane dijo:

DE has pretty much no say in it... Unless they have enough capital to buy themselves out, maybe. Tencent isn't buying Warframe, they're buying the company that owns like 90% of DE.
Also, dude, if you know just how many things are owned by Chinese Companies (which are mostly controlled by the CCP), you'd probably shut yourself in a cave. Even the current owners are "Chinese" being Hong Kong based.

I have no problem with chinese companies owning anything. Tencent tho is no regular chinese company.

30 minutes ago, HyperDiver said:

26 minutes ago, kevoisvevo said:

Thing is DE has no power here. It's in the hands of their chinese masters now. Better start use vpn and virtual machine lmao.

26 minutes ago, ReaverKane said:

26 minutes ago, HyperDiver said:

I have no problem with chinese companies owning anything. Tencent tho is no regular chinese company.

24 minutes ago, ReaverKane said:

Tencent is just like ALL big Chinese Capital, they all fall under the CCP.

Ok guys, I understand you all don't know a lot of multinationals or business on that level, and you definitely do not know Tencent or what doing business in China is like. At all.

The CCP does not control or puppeteer its big business. It simply does not work that way. How many government-owned success-stories you know off amongst the giants? Right, none. Zero. Zilch. And make no mistake, Tencent is in the global top 10 accross all industry sectors. That's a pretty rarified and select group.

Second, thinking that Tencent is a quintessential Chinese company is wrong. Oh boy, that is simply so far from the truth it's laughable. The biggest shareholder of Tencent, for a whopping 31%, is a Dutch holding company, in turn owned by Nasper, which is South African. Half of Tencent's Board of Directors is not Chinese, and those that are mostly had careers in Western multinationals. 

And for any multinational, and Tencent, from it's owners to its investments most definitely is, the government is never your friend. In fact, it's your biggest 'enemy' and once you get big enough, much more troubling and concerning than any competitor can ever be. No different for Tencent. In recent years the CCP's increased scrutiny of the local gaming industry has severy impacted their bottom-line. The CCP and Tencent are currently most definitely not on good terms, if you follow actual business news, and not the babbling of clueless people.

3 hours ago, (XB1)Cram Duahcim said:

If DE were to move to China then youd have an arguement but I highly doubt that will happen.

Leyou has the power to move DE to China if they want. Just saying. I doubt they'd do that, but don't overestimate DE's power or freedom and don't underestimate Leyou's control.

4 minutes ago, Angwah said:

Ok guys, I understand you all don't know a lot of multinationals or business on that level, and you definitely do not know Tencent or what doing business in China is like. At all.

The CCP does not control or puppeteer its big business. It simply does not work that way. How many government-owned success-stories you know off amongst the giants? Right, none. Zero. Zilch. And make no mistake, Tencent is in the global top 10 accross all industry sectors. That's a pretty rarified and select group.

Second, thinking that Tencent is a quintessential Chinese company is wrong. Oh boy, that is simply so far from the truth it's laughable. The biggest shareholder of Tencent, for a whopping 31%, is a Dutch holding company, in turn owned by Nasper, which is South African. Half of Tencent's Board of Directors is not Chinese, and those that are mostly had careers in Western multinationals. 

And for any multinational, and Tencent, from it's owners to its investments most definitely is, the government is never your friend. In fact, it's your biggest 'enemy' and once you get big enough, much more troubling and concerning than any competitor can ever be. No different for Tencent. In recent years the CCP's increased scrutiny of the local gaming industry has severy impacted their bottom-line. The CCP and Tencent are currently most definitely not on good terms, if you follow actual business news, and not the babbling of clueless people.

Aw, S#&$, what happened to my edit...
You're right... I had edited that post, with information, i guess they moved the thread when i was saving the edit.

I mean Tencent owns stuff like Riot (100%) and the company that makes Path of Exile (80%) which are pretty awesome F2P games. They also own only 5% of Activision Blizzard, and those guys are crap... So the more they own, the better, apparently.
I'm not going to repeat what i said, but yeah, my last quote was a hot-take which i edited, but got lost in Forum moderation.

2 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

That only applies to (some) games developed directly for Tencent. It doesnt apply to games that have had their shares bought out by Tencent.

In your dreams. Obviously that's not how it works. 

That is very doubful since Destiny 2 and WF are night and day. One isnt a substitute for the other. There is also the whole thing about Destiny 2 not actually being F2P, which is something that would be a dealbreaker for many, not to mention that they still run the same scummy monetization that Activision got blamed for along with recycled content you need to pay for in that scummy monetization model.

Learn to differentiate the term "all players" from the term "many players".

Many players who arrived here came from Destiny 1 and Destiny 2. They will probably migrate back. 

Besides that's one of the target of Tencent. Activision Blizard says hi. 

The funny thing is people throw around claims about games being destroyed by Tencent yet have no examples as proof. Except for a few that are far from being influenced by Tencent directly. While the games that are directly tied to Tencent have seen no changes at all (LoL and PoE).

Transformers online. 

1 minute ago, Felsagger said:

In your dreams. Obviously that's not how it works. 

Learn to differentiate the term "all players" from the term "many players".

Many players who arrived here came from Destiny 1 and Destiny 2. They will probably migrate back. 

Besides that's one of the target of Tencent. Activision Blizard says hi. 

Transformers online. 

Riot Games... 100% owned by Tencent since 2015 (owned 93% in 2011) says "Hi!" to disprove your post.
The guys that make Path of Exile, 80% owned by Tencent...
Activision-Blizzard 5% owned by Tencent...
Its not that Tencent has capital in the companies that makes the games crap, it's the game companies.

2 hours ago, ReaverKane said:

Riot Games... 100% owned by Tencent since 2015 (owned 93% in 2011) says "Hi!" to disprove your post.

Wrong again. 

Riot Game ALONE developed the success of LOL. Tencent wanted a slice of that pie. 

Its not that Tencent has capital in the companies that makes the games crap, it's the game companies.

Tencent can choke any company forcing to meet certain profit goals. That can push anyone towards absurd monetization strategies. This happened before, it can happen again. 

Tencent IS NOT a passive investor that expects nothing out of their investments. 

Let me quote this again: 

"Tencent doesn't change things in games, they (as investors) choke their companies to meet a profit goal and those companies have to come up with microtransactions and predatory models to make enough for it or we could see an increase of platinum costs in the marketplace. Warframe's current F2P model is really good, one of the best in my opinion, and my concern with Tencent acquiring DE is basically ruining that model. People who have played games whose parent company is Tencent already felt it"

24 minutes ago, Felsagger said:

Wrong again. 

Riot Game ALONE developed the success of LOL. Tencent wanted a slice of that pie. 

Tencent can choke any company meet certain profit goals. That can push anyone towards absurd monetization strategies. This happened before, it can happen again. 

Tencent IS NOT a passive investor that expects nothing out of their investments. 

Let me quote this again: 

"Tencent doesn't change things in games, they (as investors) choke their companies to meet a profit goal and those companies have to come up with microtransactions and predatory models to make enough for it or we could see an increase of platinum costs in the marketplace. Warframe's current F2P model is really good, one of the best in my opinion, and my concern with Tencent acquiring DE is basically ruining that model. People who have played games whose parent company is Tencent already felt it"

well this guy is right I checked on google

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk00jiZJNwHqGyaF6EzDi9irn7XfN-Q%3A1594748120569&source=hp&ei=2OwNX5KxIJSPtAa78o3gBQ&q=tencent+history&oq=tencent+history&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzICCAAyAggAMgIIADIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeOgUIABCxAzoICAAQsQMQgwFQG1jkFmCjHWgAcAB4AoABhAKIAeILkgEFNy4yLjOYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwiS_evZo83qAhWUB80KHTt5A1wQ4dUDCAg&uact=5

They had whole list of it including CoD that they help so in other words we supported a eastern company out of the blue.

3 hours ago, (XB1)Cram Duahcim said:

1: China wants to be the world police. They've already stated that mentions of a certain thing going on right now is subject to criminal charges. So if I were to mention this thing, I could be prosecuted should I go to China. I normally would mention these things, because I'm NEVER going over there, but I don't know what ramification it would have on DE. Just look at everything America is doing against China right now due to the things they've recently done. Don't matter if DE is in Canada, Turkey, or the Moon, Tencent can easily fire everyone, dissolve the company, then start a lawsuit in China should they try to reform and create Warframe 2.0, which could force them to go over to China and face arrest.

2: Valorant, another game under Tencents control, had/has an anti-virus that runs at system level. This allows for alot of different things to happen, such as allowing the install of software on your machine without your approval or even notifying you. It was determined that the data Vanguard, the anti-cheat Valorant uses, wasn't directly sending anything to China, but that doesn't mean the data isn't being sent to group A, then to group B, then to the Government.

3: Just look at Tiktok. Yes, the company needs to follow American laws, but that doesn't remove the facts. Tiktok is facing a ban right now. They didn't do anything illegal mind you, but because of China it could be banned. That's not to say Trump, Trudeau, or whoever will start to ban games like League of Legends, Fortnite, and Warframe, but it's a possibility that needs to be recognized.

Archived