Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I do not like being called a demon on my own ship

Educated_Beast

After grinding to get what I was excited for, the ability to customize Warframe skills, now I have a giant plant that calls me a demon.  

Call me a beast, a warrior, a tenno, whatever, but a demon is an evil spiritual creature that does no good. I want nothing to do with that.

Does DE see warframes as evil?  Are we the bad guys?  Maybe I'm not so interested anymore.  I know this won't bother most people, but it bothers me.  

There needs to be an option to correct the giant plant or throw his ass out the airlock.  

6 minutes ago, Educated_Beast said:

After grinding to get what I was excited for, the ability to customize Warframe skills, now I have a giant plant that calls me a demon.  

Call me a beast, a warrior, a tenno, whatever, but a demon is an evil spiritual creature that does no good. I want nothing to do with that.

Does DE see warframes as evil?  Are we the bad guys?  Maybe I'm not so interested anymore.  I know this won't bother most people, but it bothers me.  

There needs to be an option to correct the giant plant or throw his ass out the airlock.  

Yeah, that jerk should be calling me Lucifer himself.

24 minutes ago, Educated_Beast said:

Does DE see warframes as evil?  Are we the bad guys?

No, obviously not. It is a character who calls you a demon. A character whose understanding is partial and biased, and who spends its time eating Warframes, so forgive him if I don't trust his judgement.

DE's opinion is not more represented by the words of Helminth as it is by the words of Sargas Ruk, who spends time shouting that we are vermin.

25 minutes ago, Educated_Beast said:

but a demon is an evil spiritual creature that does no good. I want nothing to do with that.

A technicality, I know, but "demon" is evil only in some religions.

The original word is Greek and is perfectly neutral, denoting only a supernatural or otherwordly power. It is more akin to the word "spirit".

So what I'm saying is: do what you do with that line. I, as a good pagan, hear Helminth calling me a Void spirit, and honestly I'm perfectly fine with that. If you choose to be interpret the word "demon" in a negative way, and of being offended by it, it is your choice, and I respect it, but I do not understand it.

52 minutes ago, Educated_Beast said:

We literally spend our entire time mass murdering people in their own ships. We do this because we are commanded to by a mysterious woman, the Lotus, who assures us that we are doing the right thing. Perhaps she is correct, and we are really doing the right thing. But what kind of person mass murders based on instructions without proof? Only a person who really wants to mass murder in the first place, and is looking for any excuse. 

We are demons. 

44 minutes ago, Dhrekr said:

No, obviously not. It is a character who calls you a demon. A character whose understanding is partial and biased, and who spends its time eating Warframes, so forgive him if I don't trust his judgement.

DE's opinion is not more represented by the words of Helminth as it is by the words of Sargas Ruk, who spends time shouting that we are vermin.

A technicality, I know, but "demon" is evil only in some religions.

The original word is Greek and is perfectly neutral, denoting only a supernatural or otherwordly power. It is more akin to the word "spirit".

So what I'm saying is: do what you do with that line. I, as a good pagan, hear Helminth calling me a Void spirit, and honestly I'm perfectly fine with that. If you choose to be interpret the word "demon" in a negative way, and of being offended by it, it is your choice, and I respect it, but I do not understand it.

A demon is evil in this culture, I don't live in some ancient pagan culture.  An interaction to correct it and tell it never to to call you that again should be available. Eating an empty shell doesn't bother me, allowing it to call you evil and just go along with it does.  A void spirit would be a better option but there is no choice leaving the player to accept being evil and accept that our character knows it.  We either are ok being called a demon or ignore the entire new system.  

I do not like this direction in warframe and I'm stepping out.  Having some NPC your fighting call you a demon is a lot different than a creature you nurture, lives on your ship, and interact with lovingly call you a demon.  

I don't play games for evil, I always imagine it was a just war.  DE clearly shows we are not really a force for good otherwise we could correct it.  I want to burn that room down and get that crap off my ship.  Since I can't, I'm leaving Warframe.  

I really don't care the other players here that have replied don't understand.  I do and I cannot continue to play a game I'd be ashamed to play around my kids. 

I didn't realize Monday was the last time I'd play Warframe.  It's been a good 5-6 years, but this is the straw that broke the camel's back.  

I hope someone at DE reads this and makes the nessesary changes, otherwise, this will be my last post to.

So you are telling the whole community you don't have any drop of evil in yourself by killing hundreds of thousands of Corpus and Grineer whose only purpose was "follow" orders from above.

You are telling us that you are the only right because in your own personal mindset being called a demon is disrespectful, when the helminth actually have no respect for you, because the helminth is not supposed to help you by any means, and none of us. The helminth is enslaved and linked to us by biological/symbiotic connection, and the only thing left for the helminth is to help you, or else if you die, the helminth will die too.

So you are telling us that you decided only the "white answers" along the story not because you actually mean them but because they were what seems to not be bad?

You are not forced by any means to do anything in warframe, and if you get bothered by being called demon, then you should irl check what's wrong inside you, not inside a game.

so, i'll just point out master chief from halo is also called demon, dosent always mean bad things, it's bad for your enemies wich you kill thousands of in survival missions.

just take a moment and think, clone, infested, corpus (wich are not clones) how much have you killed? my personal total count is 1.5 million, and if i were activly playing more since i started at update 7, it would be higher, by all mean i am a demon to my enemies and friends and foes should be fearfull of this character not turning against them.

3 hours ago, Educated_Beast said:

A demon is evil in this culture, I don't live in some ancient pagan culture.

"This culture" being real life? Sure, depending on where you are from.

However in game the Orokin have significant ties to Greco-Egyptian culture, so if they want to use a archaic Greek meaning of the term it would be considered culturally acceptable to them. The world is full of many people, many religions and many opinions. Terms can and do mean different things across the world. If you want to insist that your understanding of the term is the correct one that should be adhered to... then the problem is not with the term, but with you I'm afraid.

5 hours ago, Educated_Beast said:

Welp he not lying you Demon Child/Tenno Skoom/Insert name

And Ordis been dissing you for the longest

6 hours ago, Educated_Beast said:

Well... "demon" is basically the only thing that explains what the Tenno are as a "species" right now. We are void demons. And the rest of the Sol system, or those that know the secret of the Tenno anyways, see us that way.

I also find it really really weird that your response to being called a name you don't like is "Shut up or I'm going to throw you out the airlock."
That uh... that sounds pretty demonic.

Also, why does it bother you? Seriously. Why are you so upset over being called a demon? I mean, I'm not going to judge your religious beliefs, but... what makes you so caught up on the idea of demons as evil beings?

In Japanese culture, the word for demon is "Oni" and it's a bit more like how we use the word "supernatural" or "fae" - it's more to describe a being that is otherworldly, unnatural, extradimensional, etc. Many of them are NOT evil.
In that sense of the word "demon" it rather perfectly describes Tenno.

4 hours ago, Educated_Beast said:

Since I can't, I'm leaving Warframe. 

Okay, now I'm convinced. See a therapist.

I'm not saying this to be rude. And I don't think it's necessarily wrong to quit a game if you don't find it fun.

But for you to be this upset over a line of dialogue, because of that one specific word, I think you have some issues and need self-reflection. It's not like he threw a racial slur at you.

I'm genuinely concerned for your mental state, because your reaction to this is simply not normal.

Rationalize it all you want but the context is clear.  This is the first definition and judging by the first response above, it doesn't take a genius to figure out the context.

1.an evil spirit or devil, especially one thought to possess a person or act as a tormentor in hell.

Similar:devil, fiende, evilspiritf, fallenangelc, cacodemoni, incubuss, succubush, hellhounda, afreetr, rakshasa

Opposite:  angel

2.a forceful, fierce, or skillful performer of a specified activity."a friend of mine is a demon cook"

If I interacted with you every day and called you something derogatory every time I saw you - scumbag, some racist term, idiot, whatever (and I'm not calling you that), you would rightly correct me. 

You would say something along the lines of don't call me that.  Unless of course, you were that thing and enjoyed the depravity (we all know that happens).

There is no insult worse (for me) than being called a devil.  We should be able to correct it, that's all.  If you like being called a disposable worthless creature with no good in it, go ahead.  I can't.  

- yes throwing an evil creature off ship is reasonable 

- killing in war time is only mass murder when it's not a just war.  Up until this point, I thought it was.  

- Unfortunaly you are right, I am not normal.  Being comfortable with evil is way to common nowadays but don't be worried for my mental state, I have plenty other hobbies than Warframe and looking forward to all the time I'll gain.  

Your beliefs are your beliefs. If something bothers you and no persons are being harmed, fair enough, just don't engage with it.

But fiction is not reality.

Do you also avoid the following?

• Dirt Devil vacuums
  • Chocolate items labeled as 'devil's food'
  • Dodge Demon drivers
  • Deviled eggs/ham and products from Underwood

Think of this from the perspective of the Helminth. The Tenno is an outside force which can, at will, forcibly enter the bodies of it's kin and assume control, effectively possessing them. Even without that ability, this outside entity completely immune to the Helminth's primary means of defence (infestation), could incinerate it with a word (via Ordis) and is in, or rather, mostly in control of a force of un-nature, a power barely comprehensible to even the Tenno themselves, let alone the Helminth.

What would you call such an entity?

20 hours ago, Educated_Beast said:

You might educate yourself then.

The idea that Satan or Demons are evil is made up in the first place.

Satan/Lucifer is originally "Venus" or Ishtar. Which is a goddess who was turned into smth evil by the 3 Religions who have the same roots. (Abraham).

Not sure if it is meant/known by DE but yeah.

So be proud being called a demon, its an Honor to walk on the path of Wisdom.

EDIT:

Considering your name i am not sure if you're trolling or being serious...

5 minutes ago, Vyra said:

You might educate yourself then.

The idea that Satan or Demons are evil is made up in the first place.

Satan/Lucifer is originally "Venus" or Ishtar. Which is a goddess who was turned into smth evil by the 3 Religions who have the same roots. (Abraham).

Not sure if it is meant/known by DE but yeah.

So be proud being called a demon, its an Honor to walk on the path of Wisdom.

I mean, they name drop ancient Akkadian gods and pull name double-symbolism in the main quest line, so... if nothing else, they can do their research when they want to.

Archived