Jump to content
Whispers in the Walls: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Nihil Boss Fight was GOOD


S.Dust

Recommended Posts

It was a well done fight, visually it was amazing and mechanics wise while it wasn't complicated it was good and a step in the right direction for boss fights. Some feedback I would give for future fights of this type would be, in the damage phase where we can hit him he should be more sporadic, the difficulty should have ramped up a bit by maybe having him jump around a lot faster. So instead of teleporting to a corner and then back to the center maybe have him rapidly go from on corner back to the center and then to another corner and take a shot. Or have him swing his sword faster or do less telegraphed movements. Having his hits be telegraphed but be one shots was also a good move because it was a fight that you could actually lose even if it wasn't really that hard.

DE I know you're getting some hate for the fight but the fact that you made a fight that wasn't just about pure big damage numbers is a good thing and felt really good to play, I'm just said it's not a main stay boss fight or a main lore fight cause it was a real improvement or change of pace from the regular boss fights in the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think what people don't understand is that the boss needed to be the way it was because basically anyone at any point in the game can play it. This isn't the same as like your typical assassination mission that takes your gear and level into account.

This is literally just a dramatic conclusion to what is essentially a battle pass with a narrative.

I don't really know what people were expecting when the whole Glassmaker quest was just walking around a piece of tileset looking for tiny artifacts to interact with.

I didn't think the boss was particularly difficult even though I got one-shot twice before figuring out what I needed to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was just taken aback by the fact that you only need to do the fight once and there's no replay value whatsoever. It's just like "congratz, bye". Kinda awkward. Plus knowing this fight probably won't EVER return is also like...why? Fight was good, but let's not pretend like it won't disappear forever in 2 months. Vitrica will return via Baro? Stream drop? None know now, but waiting 6 months for a 1-hitter quitter is unsettling at best. Was hoping for a node, some replayability, some cosmetic maybe? At worst I thought at least Nora would stop making claims of enemies being glassed...yet none of those important pieces were included. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't mind it, but it's not as if I particularly liked it. Other than the issue of him flat out refusing to throw shards and just back to back hitting the platforms, he ends up being just as easy as The Seargant, but unnecessarily longer. It's not as if quicker animations really means much difficultly other than for slower people, especially when you can just mindlessly hop around anyways, due to bullet jumping costing no resource to begin with.

Even the excuse that it's meant to be played by anyone, there's already ways to limit the top-end of damage, and other creative ways of standardizing damage that doesn't involve outright removing the usage of weapons. Then again, it's not as if DE has a history of designing bosses that are genuinely good in the context of what Warframe is. The majoority of them are just glorified cut scenes essentially that aren't threatening at all, so many attacks have no clear telegraph with some areas of the game being more about blinding you with a bunch of flashing lights.

The only positive part I found in the fight is they actually had simple telegraphed attacks. No mindless 1,000 flashing attacks occurring at once or random 0 warning instant kill by a projectile that is barely visible due to all the excess stuff covering it; which is one of the reasons shield gate "had" to exist.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, S.Dust said:

It was a well done fight, visually it was amazing and mechanics wise while it wasn't complicated it was good and a step in the right direction for boss fights. Some feedback I would give for future fights of this type would be, in the damage phase where we can hit him he should be more sporadic, the difficulty should have ramped up a bit by maybe having him jump around a lot faster. So instead of teleporting to a corner and then back to the center maybe have him rapidly go from on corner back to the center and then to another corner and take a shot. Or have him swing his sword faster or do less telegraphed movements. Having his hits be telegraphed but be one shots was also a good move because it was a fight that you could actually lose even if it wasn't really that hard.

DE I know you're getting some hate for the fight but the fact that you made a fight that wasn't just about pure big damage numbers is a good thing and felt really good to play, I'm just said it's not a main stay boss fight or a main lore fight cause it was a real improvement or change of pace from the regular boss fights in the game.

I have completed most of the content, I have a disability, this is the first bit I probably wont be able to complete. I have had 3 attempts, and I am in more pain in my hand and arm than I got doing 8 hours of Murex. I am not happy with DE at all at this stage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

it wasn't the worst boss fight ever, nor the greatest. killing Nihil with our gear might have been too easy, but it would have been a lot more fun, and remind us that it's actually worth investing in gear outside of doing regular missions. just glad it's done and that eventually the glass boius will disappear (I think there'll be dancing in the relays when that day comes!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's the first boss fight in a long time that felt like a boss rather than some sucker I insta-gib before he could finish a single line. I enjoyed him. Wouldn't mind a section where he's fought like a traditional enemy for a while though, something scannable

 

He's definitely not perfect. But his design is also a symptom of DE trying to defend such blatant powercreep forced by the "never nerf anything!"-crowd plaguing this game

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Izgule said:

I have completed most of the content, I have a disability, this is the first bit I probably wont be able to complete. I have had 3 attempts, and I am in more pain in my hand and arm than I got doing 8 hours of Murex. I am not happy with DE at all at this stage.

I have to wear wrist braces whenever I'm using a keyboard/mouse.  This fight with the constant moving, dodging for however long it took to get enough shards to shatter the prisons (provided I actually hit the right ones) and then continuing to dodge and move while praying he gives me another glass shard .. the whole thing just made my wrists hurt.  I honestly found that just falling was better than the constant movement as it gave me a few seconds rest at least.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Elessara1 said:

I have to wear wrist braces whenever I'm using a keyboard/mouse.  This fight with the constant moving, dodging for however long it took to get enough shards to shatter the prisons (provided I actually hit the right ones) and then continuing to dodge and move while praying he gives me another glass shard .. the whole thing just made my wrists hurt.  I honestly found that just falling was better than the constant movement as it gave me a few seconds rest at least.

Yes, I had to choose to fall many times, but the reset mechanic for fall gives him more time to destroy the battlefield, and full destruction of the battlefield is a fail state. I am out of attempts at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found it fun for something meant for all players to be able to finish.

Though for all the people acting like DE is doing something awful and like this is some sign of content to come yall should go replay Octavia's Anthem and remind yourselves of its boss fight. Nihil is a pretty close rehash of that yet is something every player can do with zero prerequisites while Octavia's quest is behind Second Dream and the rest of the quest itself.

If Nihil required gear or fighting it would be either too easy or wall off newer players from the weapon and story conclusion in a story that only required killing Cephalites which can spawn in all levels of content.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, White_Matter said:

It was meh.

I mean the mechanics were cool. But I wish they could implement a boss fight were we could use our frames and weapons as well, and not just specific boss fight mechanics.

Impossible to achieve with the number of abilities. Too many things would invalidate what ever they make.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

TBH I thought it was not a good design, Nihil's smashing up the platforms was weak and could have been doen much better with a solid arena that he could have chased you around instead. That would have ended the issues people have with the RNG attacks, destroying too many platforms in one hit, and the firing snot into oblivion.

Personally I think the invulnerability should have been handled less like Protea and more like glasssed enemies - Nihil could have entered the fight with half a dozen spikey crystals that you had to shoot (not cheese with melee) off individually before he lost his invulnerability (and a couple on his ass would have made for some strategy) and then end up with a boss fight where he had HP, shield or armour corresponding to your weapons damage and/or level "for balance".

You'd have had parkour if you wanted to run up walls away from him, you'd have had shooting, you'd have had to actually fight him.

 

This was little different to Protea - thank god we didn't have to charge up the snot crystals 3 times by shooting the evidence bubbles before chucking it at his face. Think of the gameplay similarities between this and Deadlock, different graphics, extra jumping, same basic design.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, (XB1)DarknessZeref said:

I was just taken aback by the fact that you only need to do the fight once and there's no replay value whatsoever. It's just like "congratz, bye". Kinda awkward.

While true, but due to how unexpectedly long the Series dragged due to working-from-home (and a power outrage), people seem to forget that:

  1. No RNG Weapon parts
  2. FIght doesn't drag that long, while Nora's sassy comments sums up and brightens the fight.

The Wolf of Saturn Six doesn't guarantee Wolf Sledge parts, while the Zealoid Prelate corrects that making his Pathocyst parts guaranteed to drop upon defeat. Nihil generously hurls RNG and quantitative grind out the window.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found it rather boring and easy when it worked and didnt bug out.

I only had to beat it once though so I'm happy about that :D

 

took me 3 tries becuase it bugged and the dude wouldn't chuck glass at me anymore. I have no idea what I was doing wrong and I tried just standing still, emoting at him, and quite a few other things but he just stopped chucking glass so I couldn't damage him. 3rd try and it suddenly worked

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Duality52 said:

Nihil generously hurls RNG and quantitative grind out the window.

He definitely does and I appreciate that to be quite frank. It's just that it simultaneously takes away from the gravity of the experience.

Tactical Potato said it best, 2 months from now I'm gonna forget what happened & if I wanna know what happened, I'll need to rewatch the videos.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let me put it this way:

 

I have a weird habit to look at my keyboard to see if capslock is on, even if I know it's off.

Basically my habit went into overkill and I looked at my keyboard for half the time. And yet still, the boss was so damn easy, I essentially beat him without looking at the screen.

 

The fight may have looked nice, but from a gameplay perspective, it was a joke.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Tricky5hift said:

I think what people don't understand is that the boss needed to be the way it was because basically anyone at any point in the game can play it. This isn't the same as like your typical assassination mission that takes your gear and level into account.

 

Except that was true of both previous bosses.  Wolf spent most of the "season" stomping people into the floor, and the Infested Prelate is still one of the "harder" Infested bosses.  (In that there's actual mechanics to the fight, rather than just beating up a sack of HP like Phorid or Lephantis.)  Making him a puzzle boss that prevents the use of all powers and any weapons is obviously deliberate, but it's not just because "anyone who finished Nightwave could face him."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...