Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Update 31.1.0: Echoes of War

[DE]Megan

11 hours ago, HyperSphere5D said:

This is awesome, thank you so much! 😊

I have a question - for the elimination of lich weapons from the pool, do you have to non mercy kill, then complete the mission and extract, or can you not mercy kill and cancel exit out of the mission without extraction? Will the weapon not be removed from the pool if you just exit and don't complete?

For the weapon to not be anymore in the spawn pool you have to just down the larvling/candidate, ignore it (do not mercy kill it) and finish the mission.

Edited by Degaz3000

18 hours ago, [DE]Megan said:

Based on player feedback, we have made these Somachord Tones stationary, meaning they will always be in the same spot (different from the original Orb Vallis Somachord Tones)

Could this also be applied to to the Orb Vallis Somachord Tones?
In their current state trying to find them all is needlessly painful, with 7 to find and 55 spawn locations it can take an unreasonable amount of time to find them, compared with any other type.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Perfectly_Framed_Waifu said:

Not quite a rework, but dude needs buffs.

• Freeze is bad. It should freeze all enemies in its AoE, not just the one direct hit. Compare to Night Equinox's 2.
  • Ice Wave is truly bad. Making it deal massive damage on frozen enemies seems apt, gives him a good combo.
  • Snow Globe is good, but should Strength scale with damage absorbed instead of armor as Frost has no abilities for boosting armor, meaning it effectively loses its Strength scaling in late game. Rhino can boost armor, Nezha can't. Iron Skin scales armor, Warding Halo scales damage absorbed.
  • Avalanche is good, but should, as said, have 50% base armor strip, comparable to Caliban's 4.

Note that 3/4 of the buffs above are all about making him consistent with the balance of other frames. Add to the mix a better passive and (dream scenario) some way to generate temporary defense for the full squad outside of Snow Globe (besides the Avalanche augment, which could then be reworked). (Detonating Snow Globe gives all allies in range an "Iron Skin" that melts/decays over time?)

Snowglobe scales with incoming damage and casting a snowglobe under the old one merges the remaining health of the old one with the second one. In other words, Snowglobe scales with energy due to this, and has no limit on paper. Neither Rhino nor Nehza can cast Iron Skin or Halo over and over to increase its health pool, making Frost unique and powerful in their own way.

Making Snowglobe scale with Strength when it has no upper limit to its pool as long as you actively manage it would actively make Snowglobe worse. You can play Overextended Frost, especially now with Biting Frost. Being able to use negative Power Strength is cool. You can use external means to raise armor regardless of Strength value as many of these are flat increases.

Not going to defend Ice Wave.

Frost’s 1 is currently extremely strong with Theorem Demulcent - Residual Viremia. It’s probably not intended but Arcanes allowing for modification of abilities is such a cool thing it needs to be a feature. It goes from inflicting 6 cold procs to inflicting 6 Viral in an AoE that can get big. If you want to freeze enemies in an AoE you have 2 abilities that do that already, Snowglobe and Avalanche. Snowglobe also one shots to level cap due to 50% max health True Damage on enemies colliding with walls, and Viral.

Combine with above and you don’t even need a primer as Frost is one of the few frames that can hold a position, like the Residual arcane fields, and just stand and deliver.

Avalanche being buffed 50% armor strip is good.  Might be nice to have a cast speed up too, but the former would be great.

So I’ll say it again. Frost is mostly fine. It’s his 2 and passive that want a change. The rest are minor buffs and quality of life like Hold-Cast Snowglobe to remove all globes, without the detonation, allowing 1 to be subsumed off if you fancy that.

Biting Frost is a great addition this update. Try it with Range.

Edited by Azimbee
Grammar
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, [DE]Megan said:
  • The Amalgam Furax Body Count Mod now applies a Blast proc and Stagger on Melee kills.

• The original Mod description stated that “Melee kills knockdown enemies within 15m” but that functionality has been missing in-mission since Blast Status was changed in Update 27.2 to no longer knockdown enemies . In addition to the Blast Status, we have also added the stagger to restore its original function pre-Status overhaul. We have also updated the description to be more accurate to the Mod’s function. 

So does this actually do a knockdown now? This post makes it sound like it's just a stagger instead?

Is there any reason why you even kept those Impact and Blast changes? As far as I could tell, most people actually preferred them the old way and they made more sense. I miss Blast knockdowns... Does anybody actually prefer their reworked versions?

But if you have finally fixed Amalgam Furax Body Count after all this time, could you sort out Amalgam Argonak Metal Augur next please? It's also been broken for a long, long time. Seems like the thread's not coming up in search anymore so I don't know if it was deleted or something. But basically when you use the mod, it ruins the visual effect of the Argonak's special ability.

21 hours ago, [DE]Megan said:

Grendel: Gourmand: Feast

Instead of Energy, consumes 200 Health on cast and 30 Health Drain.

*Acquire from the Red Veil and Steel Meridian Syndicate Offerings.

Please, could you make Pulverize at 0 enemies & Catapult augment drain HP as well AND/OR remove increasing energy drain? More info here:

So y'all just automatically activate log-in bonus boosters now? I didn't even actually log in yesterday because my internet was being jank, and I just got online to see an active resource drop chance booster with only 2 hours left, even though I never even saw it come up when I tried logging in earlier. Good to know that just existing with an active account redeems these things, but can you please NOT let your game ruin my already slim chances at having kind RNG? I'm gonna maybe get a single decent long run in the open world if I'm lucky, but I'm not going to try and pound out all that farming at 5 AM.

Also, you teased Angels of the Zariman as though it was going to be the next content drop, so where is it? Where's my spooky ghost ship?!

Edited by Chryo93
Forgot to finish a thought

whew, i was quite worried the adjustments to Kuva/Tenet Weapon Spawning would end up hurting things. but the reset and the failsafe together ensure that it is only helpful rather than harmful.

i appreciate the consistency for UI Squareness, however long names and especially Level and Focus Lens Subfixes on items can cause tacky looking Line Breaking, up to 3 lines of text! and as mentioned, when it Line Breaks like that it kinda just looks tacky.
for the future i think it would be good to come up with a way of expressing Level and Focus Lens that isn't in the actual Name of the item, so their length can be shortened.

1 hour ago, Azimbee said:

Snowglobe scales with incoming damage and casting a snowglobe under the old one merges the remaining health of the old one with the second one. In other words, Snowglobe scales with energy due to this, and has no limit on paper. Neither Rhino nor Nehza can cast Iron Skin or Halo over and over to increase its health pool, making Frost unique and powerful in their own way.

Making Snowglobe scale with Strength when it has no upper limit to its pool as long as you actively manage it would actively make Snowglobe worse. You can play Overextended Frost, especially now with Biting Frost. Being able to use negative Power Strength is cool. You can use external means to raise armor regardless of Strength value as many of these are flat increases.

You're forgetting the downside of the current system, though. In higher levels, given a constant rate of fire, each Snow Globe cast will have an unmoddable duration of 8.X seconds - 4 seconds of damage absorption and 4 seconds of the HP depleting just as fast. Sure, you can stack it to the skies and beyond, but the time taken to stack it will always be 0.Xs short of equal to the time it takes for the Globe to be destroyed again. Did you know Frost can have up to 4 Snow Globes active at once? Well, good luck trying to keep all four alive if each one of them goes down in 8.X unmoddable seconds.

Neither Iron Skin nor Warding Halo has an upper limit to their pools either, the only difference here being that neither of their pools are additive with itself, something that's less important than their respective scaling. Also, "being able to use negative Power Strength is cool" is a poor argument, because by the exact same logic, you're saying it'd be "cool" if, say, Avalanche didn't scale with Power Strength. Why not make it not scale with Range, while we're at it? Makes you able to play Narrow Minded Frost instead!

So, in short, I stand firm in that making Snow Globe Strength-scale the damage absorption would be better for the ability, as well as consistent with the general balance of such abilities.

Frost’s 1 is currently extremely strong with Theorem Demulcent - Residual Viremia. It’s probably not intended but Arcanes allowing for modification of abilities is such a cool thing it needs to be a feature. It goes from inflicting 6 cold procs to inflicting 6 Viral in an AoE that can get big. If you want to freeze enemies in an AoE you have 2 abilities that do that already, Snowglobe and Avalanche. Snowglobe also one shots to level cap due to 50% max health True Damage on enemies colliding with walls, and Viral.

Combine with above and you don’t even need a primer as Frost is one of the few frames that can hold a position, like the Residual arcane fields, and just stand and deliver.

I think we have quite different views on things if you call applying a Viral stack in an AoE "extemely strong". You wanna know what else can do that? A whole bunch of guns, of which you're most likely bringing two to any given mission. On the other hand, Freeze would be able to AoE freeze enemies at a range, for a cost cheaper than his 3 and 4, which is just flat-out better if you disregard a self-limiting niche. "You don't even need a primer"? Well, you need a primer of sorts to get the Demulcement/Viremia going in the first place, and at that point you might as well just get an AoE gun with Viral.

So I’ll say it again. Frost is mostly fine. It’s his 2 and passive that want a change. The rest are minor buffs and quality of life

I'll say it again as well, then. I wholly disagree. Frost doesn't need a full rework, but he needs buffs to every ability he has, for power and consistency.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TheLexiConArtist said:

How does it interact with hunting Larvlings in non-solo missions? Does everyone who didn't win the 'race' to stab get the 'reject' flag? What if they still want it, but also wanted to let their friend get first dibs?

Only the player who took the Larvling's last hit point can stab the Larvling anyway. There might be a race to shoot, but there is no race to stab, so there is basically no danger of all four players counting as "rejecting". Unless of course DE screwed something up, which is technically possible

• Like 1

Public test seems like a cool option, but does It require to install warframe entirely or does It use the actual files installed?

It just a question of general knowledge to be able to participate or not in future public test lotteries.

5 hours ago, Perfectly_Framed_Waifu said:

You're forgetting the downside of the current system, though. In higher levels, given a constant rate of fire, each Snow Globe cast will have an unmoddable duration of 8.X seconds - 4 seconds of damage absorption and 4 seconds of the HP depleting just as fast. Sure, you can stack it to the skies and beyond, but the time taken to stack it will always be 0.Xs short of equal to the time it takes for the Globe to be destroyed again. Did you know Frost can have up to 4 Snow Globes active at once? Well, good luck trying to keep all four alive if each one of them goes down in 8.X unmoddable seconds.

Neither Iron Skin nor Warding Halo has an upper limit to their pools either, the only difference here being that neither of their pools are additive with itself, something that's less important than their respective scaling. Also, "being able to use negative Power Strength is cool" is a poor argument, because by the exact same logic, you're saying it'd be "cool" if, say, Avalanche didn't scale with Power Strength. Why not make it not scale with Range, while we're at it? Makes you able to play Narrow Minded Frost instead!

So, in short, I stand firm in that making Snow Globe Strength-scale the damage absorption would be better for the ability, as well as consistent with the general balance of such abilities.

I think we have quite different views on things if you call applying a Viral stack in an AoE "extemely strong". You wanna know what else can do that? A whole bunch of guns, of which you're most likely bringing two to any given mission. On the other hand, Freeze would be able to AoE freeze enemies at a range, for a cost cheaper than his 3 and 4, which is just flat-out better if you disregard a self-limiting niche. "You don't even need a primer"? Well, you need a primer of sorts to get the Demulcement/Viremia going in the first place, and at that point you might as well just get an AoE gun with Viral.

I'll say it again as well, then. I wholly disagree. Frost doesn't need a full rework, but he needs buffs to every ability he has, for power and consistency.

You can run Gas-Viral (or viral toxin if you prefer) with a Kitgun and Toxin Demulcent which takes up only 1 weapon slot. Freeze to Stack Viral creates a gameplay loop where you can buff your Kitgun’s gas without needing to run another gun. It costs a Kitgun Arcane and Warframe Arcane Slot to do, but the 6 stacks of Viral is instant within the AoE. Not a lot of AoE weapons can stack viral that quickly. It’s also a one handed cast allowing you to fire while shooting at the same. I don’t think the situations are super comparable given you need to actually swap to a different weapon to start priming, outside of quick melee. This is the reason it’s very strong. It’s a seamless self sustaining combo with minimal loadout slots dedicated to it working, even less than CO melee with a primer by a whole loadout slot.  That extra space can get more work and combos done.

Now with Biting Frost you can make the 1 enemy you hit directly suffer obscene crit bonuses that take 2 mods to achieve, at minimum. Sometimes 3 mods at once can’t outdo Biting Frost, as is the case with Shotgun and Archgun modding.

You got me. Speaking honestly, I do like the idea of Avalanche not scaling with Range to allow for Narrowminded. Being able to cap duration on the actual freeze would be neato, assuming the range is reasonable when compared to range modded Snowglobe.

I concede your point on Strength scaling the power of Snowglobe to be like Iron Skin or Warding Halo. However, I don’t think Strength is the answer. There is merit and potential to taking advantage of the fact it doesn’t scale with strength, and you provided a wonderful example.

Scaling with Armor and Duration instead. In present form, Frost benefits just as much from positive Strength as they do from negative via Overextended. Very few of Frosts abilities want too low duration, especially with augments. Setting current Snowglobe survival to something like 50% Duration so that baseline 100% Duration is double present efficacy while still allowing a Transient Fortitude duration drop to still be ahead would not only allow for better scaling, it wouldn’t compete with current Frost Builds, especially if you hard cap the minimum duration of the damage absorption to be 4 seconds, exactly like Volt’s Discharge. That would also allow the Transient Fleeting to be run at present Globe efficacy.

I do want all frames to be viable and interesting and fresh, but I also want them to be unique. The thing about balance is not all strengths and weaknesses are equal. You cannot have perfect balance and variety at the same time. A lot of times, bringing balance and viability to a varied cast involves homogenization. This kills variety in subtle way and sterilizes the game if taken too far. Without going into too much detail, you can take a gander at competitive games to see this in action. Particularly in arena shooters and fighting games.

I don’t want Snowglobe to be weak but I also wouldn’t want to be on the same level as Iron Skin and Warding Halo, if it gets there by working exactly how they got there. Snowglobe scaling duration, if kept up properly, would add remaining “duration” with the duration of the next globe. It works like so now, and this has potential. The closest comparison we have is Limbo augmented Cataclysm which both needs an Augment and kills to defend an area in stockpiled duration perpetuity.

For similar reasons, I don’t like the idea of AoE freeze on 1. For starters, that could be given to an Ice Wave rework. But I don’t want it to be like Rest or Sleep arrow. See above for why.

I do think we value different things, but there’s probably a *cool* way to satisfy both of us. I’m also confident this conversation is being observed by people that have the power to glean useful info and make it ripple out into something bigger. I don’t know if it’s the appropriate thread though, I suddenly feel like things got derailed.

Edited by Azimbee

21 hours ago, LVVS said:

would bring us exactly to the line(s) that tell us the exact changes that were made to this mod?
Or by any means, are there buffs/nerfs and other things, that are being changed, but won't be mentioned in these threads and reports??
Thank You in advance:)

I'm not aware of any changes that were intended to Condition Overload. Do you have specific examples of something you think changed incorrectly? Weapons/configs/enemies?  So that we can check out the math

• Like 11

26 minutes ago, [DE]Momaw said:

I'm not aware of any changes that were intended to Condition Overload. Do you have specific examples of something you think changed incorrectly? Weapons/configs/enemies?  So that we can check out the math

I’m currently at work, so I’m not in a position to help with screenshots, but I noticed some discussion around Condition Overload not properly taking into account Melee Stance Multipliers (Like Cleaving Whirlwind’s 500% spin or something) including those for Heavy Attack with Combo Counter. Additionally, folks were saying it is applying to Warfan Projectiles (Aurum Spinosa, Quassus) and Gunblade Projectiles much more strongly than it did before.

Speculation is changes to Galvanized status mods affected the melee variant.

I hope that helps. I’m sorry CO and Galv CO is being stubborn. You’re all close to ironing it out; I appreciate the work.

EDIT: P.S. don’t remove Residual + Theorem Arcanes applying elements to abilities. It’s such a cool interaction that it could make a wonderful feature going forward. I’m praying.

Edited by Azimbee
Pleading
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, [DE]Momaw said:

Here's a few, all against Chargers.  Procs were radiation / cold where applied.  Weapon CO0 with Condition Overload and Corrupt Charge and no procs.  Weapon CO2 same with 2 procs.  Weapon PPP modded with Primed Pressure Point and Corrupt Charge, Crits discarded.

Endura Vulpine Fox

Heavy Attack: 450% natural multiplier, x2 combo

CO0: 3060..  Bleed 1008

CO2: 3740..  Bleed 1232

PPP:  6216..  Bleed 2048

Initial Neutral Attack: No stance multiplier.  (I haven't done the exact math, but these look like CO is working about right.)

CO0: 340

CO2: 680

PPP:  691

Fang Prime Spinning Noodle

Initial Neutral Attack: 300% stance multiplier

CO0:  828

CO2: 1104  (and one stack is 966)

PPP: 1681

I was also getting very low contributions from CO compared to PPP for the Quassus projectiles yesterday, but I don't have those written down.

Edited by Tiltskillet
  • Like 4

Here's the math. Credits to Dystopia for figuring this out. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/spfiw2/what_happened_to_combo_based_melees_this_recent/

• Like 5

You can run Gas-Viral (or viral toxin if you prefer) with a Kitgun and Toxin Demulcent which takes up only 1 weapon slot. Freeze to Stack Viral creates a gameplay loop where you can buff your Kitgun’s gas without needing to run another gun. It costs a Kitgun Arcane and Warframe Arcane Slot to do, but the 6 stacks of Viral is instant within the AoE. Not a lot of AoE weapons can stack viral that quickly. It’s also a one handed cast allowing you to fire while shooting at the same. I don’t think the situations are super comparable given you need to actually swap to a different weapon to start priming, outside of quick melee. This is the reason it’s very strong. It’s a seamless self sustaining combo with minimal loadout slots dedicated to it working, even less than CO melee with a primer by a whole loadout slot.  That extra space can get more work and combos done.

While I could definitely argue against this niche, what with Freeze having no moddable range and this intricate setup being overshadowed by just firing a Bramma arrow or something, I'll leave it at the fact that what I propose has not included removing the 600% status chance from the ability, meaning that all of this is very much possible in my idea. Plus that the ability has a usage outside of a niche.

Now with Biting Frost you can make the 1 enemy you hit directly suffer obscene crit bonuses that take 2 mods to achieve, at minimum.

Ok? With biting Frost in my idea, you can make more than 1 enemy suffer obscene crit bonuses.

You got me. Speaking honestly, I do like the idea of Avalanche not scaling with Range to allow for Narrowminded. Being able to cap duration on the actual freeze would be neato, assuming the range is reasonable when compared to range modded Snowglobe.

Ah, nice. Then let's remove duration scaling from Frost as well, so that, by the same logic, you can take advantage of Fleeting Expertise without its downside. Oh wait, let's make his abilities unaffected by efficiency as well, so that Blind Rage becomes better. All things summarized, following this logic, we have a Frost whose abilities doesn't scale with Strength, Duration, Range, or Efficiency, all to let him take advantage of other mods! Ya see the problem here?

I do want all frames to be viable and interesting and fresh, but I also want them to be unique. The thing about balance is not all strengths and weaknesses are equal. You cannot have perfect balance and variety at the same time. A lot of times, bringing balance and viability to a varied cast involves homogenization. This kills variety in subtle way and sterilizes the game if taken too far. Without going into too much detail, you can take a gander at competitive games to see this in action. Particularly in arena shooters and fighting games.

On the other hand, balance all too often just happens to be "homogenization". Let's look at some examples of damage reduction caps. Baruuk: 97%. Ember: 90%. Gara: 90%. Mesa: 95%. Mirage: 95%. Nekros: 90%. Nezha: 90%. Nidus: 90%. Trinity: 93.75%. In short, when you sum up a frame's damage reduction, chances are it's in the 90-95% ballpark, often exactly 90% or 95%. Still, these are very much different abilities from one another. There's homogenization, but they're still fresh and interesting. Gara's performs like a deathball, Mirage has to choose between DR and damage boost, Nekros' relies on keeping shadows alive. In the same manner, giving Snow Globe Strength-scaling damage absorption wouldn't sterilize the game any more than Iron Skin and Warding Halo sterilize one another - and they don't.

For similar reasons, I don’t like the idea of AoE freeze on 1. For starters, that could be given to an Ice Wave rework. But I don’t want it to be like Rest or Sleep arrow. See above for why.

Giving that rework to Ice Wave rather than Freeze would just make it ten times more redundant apart from that highly specific niche you mentioned. Instead, giving Freeze and AoE freeze while letting Ice Wave do bonus damage vs. frozen targets would do the opposite of homogenizing it with Rest and Sleep Arrow. (Also, if we don't want abilities to be like one another, we should by that logic not allow Ice Wave to freeze, because Petrify exists. Oh, and we should by that logic remove the freeze effect from Avalanche, Atlas also has a 4 which AoE "freezes".)

In short, I don't see how your counter-arguments hold any water here. The changes I propose would bring Frost up to a level on par with other frames balance-wise while still keeping, and even strengthening, his identity.

• Like 2

Speaking of intention and math, could we get a statement for why Yareli's Merulina doesn't have 90% damage reduction and doesn't have a damage absorption period? Merulina is basically a Warding Halo tied to a K-Drive, yet lacks both of these things.

• Like 1

On 2022-02-09 at 12:59 PM, [DE]Megan said:

Adjusted the Ogris and Kuva Ogris Nightwatch Napalm FX to be cleaner and use energy color consistently. 

Nice! Now do the same to Sporelacer, it's a fun kitgun but the visuals are just as blinding as the Ogris was.

29 minutes ago, Perfectly_Framed_Waifu said:

On the other hand, balance all too often just happens to be "homogenization". Let's look at some examples of damage reduction caps. Baruuk: 97%. Ember: 90%. Gara: 90%. Mesa: 95%. Mirage: 95%. Nekros: 90%. Nezha: 90%. Nidus: 90%. Trinity: 93.75%. In short, when you sum up a frame's damage reduction, chances are it's in the 90-95% ballpark, often exactly 90% or 95%. Still, these are very much different abilities from one another. There's homogenization, but they're still fresh and interesting. Gara's performs like a deathball, Mirage has to choose between DR and damage boost, Nekros' relies on keeping shadows alive. In the same manner, giving Snow Globe Strength-scaling damage absorption wouldn't sterilize the game any more than Iron Skin and Warding Halo sterilize one another - and they don't.

It should be mentioned that reliable damage reduction is the realistic measure of it, which means that Ember's functional DR is 50% due to obligatory resetting or else energy haemorrhage, Mirage's UI says 95% but still doesn't actually give that even if in a 'darker half' area, and Baruuk and Trinity are semi-reliable wiggle depending on ancillary conditions like current Restraint value and if everything in Link range got obliterated at once. The latter are probably the best example cases - sustainable conditionals in just-different-enough ways.

And then there's Mesa, being a cut above, being forgettably reliable, all while she's got the seeming archetype of a glass cannon going on elsewise. Nope, better give her Best Defense too.