Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Time to add Shield Orb drops?

PsiWarp

We've got Health Orbs and Energy Orbs, maybe a Shield Orb can drop from enemies?

What it could do:

• Reduce shield recharge delay or allow immediate shield recharge on pick up.
  • Add a flat amount of shields that can stack into Overshields.
  • Also benefit Companions when players collect the orbs.
  • Create Overguard for Health-only Warframes/Companions upon pick up.

What enemies drop these? Eximus, Corpus, Corrupted, Sentient, mostly the shielded factions.

Then could perhaps introduce shield orb related abilities, mods, arcanes, etc. Shield Conversion from Simaris, for example.

Edit: This does exist in some form, ala Revenant's Enthrall + Danse Macabre synergy.

Edited by PsiWarp
  • Like 6

27 minutes ago, (XBOX)C11H22O11 said:

Nobody calls for a nerf because her shields are her energy, shield orb drop isn't necessary at all.

Could push to use shields more often, but in the end it wouldn’t help shields. It would just help shield gating. 

Meh, not really sure there's a point when everyone who has shields can regain them by just backing off for a few seconds.  Some might argue that health and energy are the same way, but not everyone runs builds that can recharge energy or heal on a whim.  Shields on the other hand automatically replenish themselves after a pretty short delay.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, PsiWarp said:

We've got Health Orbs and Energy Orbs, maybe a Shield Orb can drop from enemies?

What it could do:

What enemies drop these? Eximus, Corpus, Corrupted, Sentient, mostly the shielded factions.

Then could perhaps introduce shield orb related abilities, mods, arcanes, etc. Shield Conversion from Simaris, for example.

Edit: This does exist in some form, ala Revenant's Enthrall + Danse Macabre synergy.

Sure!

While we’re on the topic of new orbs, I would like a melee combo orb too. It could add a hefty chunk to melee combo, maybe even temporarily lengthen combo duration or improve heavy attack efficiency. 

Any new orbs should be in addition to what already drops though. I wouldn’t want something taking up a valuable energy orb drop chance. 

• Like 3

Not needed since shields naturally reg as opposed to health and energy that need modding, arcanes, skills and so on to reg without orbs.

What they should do though imo is make the augur set useful for pure health frames and those that do not use energy. Make them convert into OG for pure health frames. And for a frame like Lavos it could be based on what a skill would cost in energy, so his 4 would be treated as a 100 cost skill as baseline. For Hildryn they could simply increase how much she gains from pillage or treat the set bonus as efficiency for her.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Malikili said:

Could push to use shields more often, but in the end it wouldn’t help shields. It would just help shield gating. 

I don't know if I'm for or against the general idea, but one way around this would be have the orbs buff shield resistances rather than amount, delay, or recharge.

29 minutes ago, Tiltskillet said:

I don't know if I'm for or against the general idea, but one way around this would be have the orbs buff shield resistances rather than amount, delay, or recharge.

That can work

Like a shield version of health conversion? 

2 minutes ago, (PSN)jaggerwanderer said:

The only way DE will create Shield orb is when they make it so Shields stop recharging. 

I mean, the shield 'orb'* already exists, it's just that right now the enemies do not drop it:

Spoiler

Warframe0460.jpg

Whether they should is separate question, I think it might be interesting, but should be lower frequency than even energy orbs, since shields naturally recharge on their own too. 

* - not quite, but functionally the same

1 minute ago, Emwue said:

I mean, the shield 'orb'* already exists, it's just that right now the enemies do not drop it:

Hide contents

Warframe0460.jpg

Whether they should is separate question, I think it might be interesting, but should be lower frequency than even energy orbs, since shields naturally recharge on their own too. 

* - not quite, but functionally the same

Shield orb isn't a bad idea. It's just redundent. We have too many ways to gain shields back. Not to mention some warframe don't even have shields. Can't imagine what this shield orb does to them. Grant Overguard?

Hell... you know what. Screw shield orbs. Let's just have Overguard orbs drop from mobs. Overguard function exactly the same as shields. And can benefit any frame.

7 hours ago, PsiWarp said:

What it could do:

Sounds nice, perhaps Orbs of 50~100 Shield but instead of regenerating instantly it would regenerate the shield at a rate of 10/s and stack, so grabbing 2 orbs would restore 20/s.

7 hours ago, PsiWarp said:

Any enemy could have a chance to drop them tho Shielded enemies would have a higher chance to drop them on death and finishers/mercy kills would guarantee a drop.

• Like 2

I mean maybe? I just don't know if its super necessary per say, or what issue or problem this solves. Not that it necessarily needs one, but usually such changes should. Like shield gating had an issue it sought to address, so did the more recent changes/adjustments to shields.

Consistency with health and energy orbs isn't necessarily the best reason (not to imply that is OP's only reason). It would be like... suggesting that energy have a default and rapid regen. Which some have suggested similar to in the past, some Warframe players have made the suggestion, that the game would be better, if powers and abilities could be used freely without energy restrictions, because its more fun and other reasons. Subjectively, maybe so... but a lot are naturally hesitant to such ideas, plus that sort of massive change, would require the game to change in other ways as well, ideally, like it would be a big boost to our power to not to have to manage our energy economy... 

Shield orbs may not be that drastic, but are still some pros and cons (and of course, the pros also have cons in the sense, that some like the idea of becoming more powerful, where as for some thats power creep in the strictly negative sense). Lots of Warframes would become more survivable, but also builds around Rage and Hunter Adrenaline may be negatively impacted, and would this be a passive nerf to Inaros, Nidus and Kullervo? Would that also mean certain Warframes like Hildynn just never die ever? Also I know you address some of these OP (like Overguard for health only Warframe). I more so mean their are a lot of things an decisions DE would have to make and address and possibly forget, and... I am not really sure its worth it?!? At least that sort of my initial stance and reaction. Not inherently opposed either. Just... sorta... neutral I guess. 

8 hours ago, PsiWarp said:

What it could do:

8 hours ago, (XBOX)C11H22O11 said:

Nobody calls for a nerf because her shields are her energy, shield orb drop isn't necessary at all.

If de couldn't be bothered adding it as a new drop, they could add it as a mod for your Warframe.

it's not a bad idea. there's also a couple versions of this in the borderlands games:

- one method is awarding shields for headshots, shield recharge on kill etc. pretty straightforward.

- another is Booster Shields: when you get damaged, a booster shield drops a module that you pick up and it immediately gives a large amount of shields back.

- I'm also currently running a Spellshot character in Wonderlands, and instead of recharging shields, you get shields back by casting spells. makes sense for promoting a more active playstyle that requires frequent ability use.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

Time to learn the game.

Sorry, I must have missed the part where the OP (or literally anyone else) said they were having trouble surviving and needed a shield orb drop to make the game more approachable.  Requesting an orb that restores shields doesn't necessarily mean that someone is having trouble in the game.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PsiWarp said:

What it could do:

do you really feel like things need to be even easier than they already are?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Malikili said:

I dunno. Not if they were a fairly rare resource and balanced proper. Shield gating relies on predictability. I can’t use Mystic Bond while relying on the Augur set for shield gating for example because it makes in unpredictable.

• Like 2