Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Speed constant recasts need to be elminated

Shockwave-

Sorry but allowing volt to recast speed while it is active completely negates the ability to backflip to remove speed. I've encounter a few volts recently in defense missions where they constantly recast speed every 2-3 seconds. I can't get out of it fast enough before it is recast. The speed is nauseating in certain situations, and others I simply don't want it (to avoid picking up reactant for instance).

Can we get a toggle to avoid volt speed/rift plain?

Can backflipping give you immunity to volt speed for a full minute or 2? You have to figure if you are getting out of it you don't want it, why not set an immunity to future casts as well?

• Like 3

Honestly, I think Speed needs to be a targeted ability... I don't know how many times I've tried backflipping out of Speed, only for it to be recast just as I've finished flipping.

I don't see why Volt users think it's a good idea to bring him to Defense or Spy runs anyway. Volt has no stealth capacity to think of, and Discharge is more likely to trigger alarms than prevent it. Plus the shield needs to be cast four or five times to protect the target, as opposed to one or two for Snow Globe or Cataclysm.

• Like 5

But it is great in long straight line runs like capture, or any long run to the exit.  Which is why the backflipping as immunity for a while is a great solution in my mind. hell I'd love a 3 strikes and you are out rule as well (backflip out of speed 3 times in a mission and you are immune for the rest of the mission).

13 hours ago, Aquasurge said:

Just increase the base duration. there, problem solved.

I sincerely hope this is a joke, or at least you are unaware of the fact that it can be recast before it's duration is complete. If your kid is writing on the walls with a pen and you want him to stop, you don't give him a fine tip sharpie and hope he stops.

I personally don't have an issue with speed buff, but DE gave us the ability to negate it for a reason, and the ability to recast speed makes that negation useless, since Volt can just keep spamming 2 for as long as he has energy... which is very easy to refill if they really wanted to annoy people with it.

Edited by AXCrusnik
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, (PS4)Riko_113 said:

They could increase duration but make it only able to be recast during the last 5 seconds so they can't spam it but have the ability to cast again before it wears off. 

No,

On 2019-01-18 at 2:09 PM, Shockwave- said:

But it is great in long straight line runs like capture, or any long run to the exit.  Which is why the backflipping as immunity for a while is a great solution in my mind. hell I'd love a 3 strikes and you are out rule as well (backflip out of speed 3 times in a mission and you are immune for the rest of the mission).

Yes.

A 1 min or longer cooldown where you are immune to further applications, complete with red indicator so the volt gets the message, has been my suggestion for a while. It only affects those who don't want speed as backflipping requires a intentional effort to pull off and is therefore unlikey to be accidental.

Pull a Chroma rework, hehe.

• Speed can no longer be re-cast before it's duration ends. This puts speed more in-line with other group duration buffs.

Valkyr can't re-cast, Rhino can't, Trinity, Banshee, Mesa, ect. Think Volt, Chroma and now Baruuk are the only ones with group buffs that can be re-cast before the duration expires. If nothing more; there's a lack of consistency. Not that I'm surprised. Meh, I hardly use speed for the mobility. I use it for the reload.

• 4 weeks later...

I am so fed up with trying to get out of volt speed effect on group. Would REALLY love to be able to toggle out of it permanently, moreso when volt in group just keeps redoing speed skill again and again. Great if volt speed was only for volt. If i want to go at volt speed, then i will use volt (or other fast warframe). Any action required to opt out of volt speed has to be reapplied again and again and again when a speed happy volt is in group. Having to roll out of volt speed effect interrupts my game play which it shouldn't do.
Players that want to go faster, can use the suitably faster warframe, and let the rest of us use whatever slower warframe speed we are happy with.

• Like 3

The problem that you've got here is that this has all happened before. DE spent a huge amount of time, several solid months, updating the game with multiple iterations of how to cast Speed so that it didn't interfere with other players that didn't want it, with testing on more variations that didn't make it to the update stage.

They really did try every variation of making it less intrusive to players that didn't want it, from things as simple rolling forwards instead of back-flips, to making it an opt-in ability by dropping pickups for other players instead of just applying it... everything you can think of, they've already tried.

What happened? Well the result was this: While there are vocal minorities, like you OP, that hate the effects of Speed and want out of it, the majority of the game is either in favour of the buff or un-inhibited by it.

Most of the players see it as a straight buff and either ignore it or benefit from it.

That's not to say that your point of view is invalid, far from it, there are many, many threads about it being detrimental to individuals who don't want that function or the screen change that happens when you get it (by the way, you can disable the visual effects in your settings, I believe it's the Colour Adjustment or similar, might make it less nauseating).

What is to say is this: Out of all the methods that were tried and tested, the balance fell in favour of the people that want the buff or are not adversely affected by it, so the cast as a radial buff stayed. And the easiest way to get out of it, the proverbial 'lesser of all evils' route, was the back-flip opt out. Every other method of opting out is worse for general play or interferes with the ability from being a buff to the rest of the population.

On the bright side, something DE have not tried is making the ability a longer base duration (because even with normal modding, it's only about 14 seconds), so that Volts are encouraged not to spam it, causing grief for the people that don't enjoy it.

It would not only be a good buff for Volt (not that he really needs it), but it would put much less pain onto players like yourself.

• Like 1

Representing the pro speed team, Volt just wants to share his speed. Most Volt's run Narrow Minded in their speed builds because of it's low base duration. With the resulting reduced range, they will assume they just missed you and will attempt to recast.

Also for you Flash fans, if you you rapidly recast in a short time span it looks like you're channelling the speed force.

If you want to make the backflip cooldown timer longer, I'm fine with that. However keep it as an aoe and don't make it targetable because no one has time for such slow paced gameplay mechanics.

Most people I've encountered rejoice at receiving Volt's Speed and I've openly received thanks for using it.

1 hour ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

The problem that you've got here is that this has all happened before. DE spent a huge amount of time, several solid months, updating the game with multiple iterations of how to cast Speed so that it didn't interfere with other players that didn't want it, with testing on more variations that didn't make it to the update stage.

So I assume that they also tried "tap 2 for self only, charge 2 to include teammates; cooldown period after 2's duration ends." (Which is what I wanted to suggest)

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, evilChair said:

So I assume that they also tried "tap 2 for self only, charge 2 to include teammates; cooldown period after 2's duration ends." (Which is what I wanted to suggest)

Yep, that was discussed. Never even made it into the game from the testing builds, it just meant that people that wanted the buff missed it half the time because of mis-casts.

So...

I had just theorised that dropping the base range by about 5m (so that if you really wanted to get a large area of effect, it would counter a Strength build) and increasing the base Duration by 5 seconds so that you can more easily get a 20-30 second modded Duration like Loki can with his Invisibility... that would just encourage Volt players to actually cast less often and give players that opted out more space to work with around the Volt player that wasn't being affected by his re-casts.

• Like 1

I'd like to see the base duration made 25 or 30 seconds, and the base range extended to 30 or 35m, while sacrificing the early recast.

Not because I'm bothered by  the team buff , but because it'd make the ability more fun for me to use.  (Yes, even keeping track of the timer.   Sue me for being weird. 😛 ) Reducing the annoyance factor for people who want to opt out would just be a pleasant side effect. 

But, by all means, add a duration to the opt-out on top of that.

I agree with the others here: Speed likely needs to be opt-in, rather than opt-out, and so while DE did attempt unsuccessfully to do this via a speed pickup, there are many more options to try: having multiple of those speed shrines drop periodically so that players don't have to backtrack could be one solution, for example. More generally, any sort of ally-affecting mechanic that can negatively affect the player's gameplay I think needs to be opt-in, as every time an ability affects other players without their consent, it inevitably generates complaints (Limbo is another major example of this).

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, (PS4)deathwolfclaw666 said:

Make the ability channelled, nuf said. 

Drain functions are a straight up nerf, they're literally used to limit frames where the function is too strong. Besides, you would still have to re-cast anyway, because (according to the statistics) more people want the buff than don't, and there's plenty of ways to lose the buff and want to get it back.

Any Oberon player will tell you that trying to apply their Iron Renewal buff to all their team is hard enough when that's a cast people want all the time. I can only imagine the pain of trying to apply it to the one or two players in your team that want it, but keep running into Nullifiers, getting boundary resets, or even you the player runs out of energy... while at the same time, there's a player that doesn't want it in the squad with you, angry at you because you can't stop re-casting in order to keep the buff on the ones that want it.

• Like 2

On 2019-02-15 at 10:43 PM, Birdframe_Prime said:

They really did try every variation of making it less intrusive to players that didn't want it, from things as simple rolling forwards instead of back-flips, to making it an opt-in ability by dropping pickups for other players instead of just applying it... everything you can think of, they've already tried.

What happened? Well the result was this: While there are vocal minorities, like you OP, that hate the effects of Speed and want out of it, the majority of the game is either in favour of the buff or un-inhibited by it.

Most of the players see it as a straight buff and either ignore it or benefit from it.

That's not to say that your point of view is invalid, far from it, there are many, many threads about it being detrimental to individuals who don't want that function or the screen change that happens when you get it (by the way, you can disable the visual effects in your settings, I believe it's the Colour Adjustment or similar, might make it less nauseating).

What is to say is this: Out of all the methods that were tried and tested, the balance fell in favour of the people that want the buff or are not adversely affected by it, so the cast as a radial buff stayed. And the easiest way to get out of it, the proverbial 'lesser of all evils' route, was the back-flip opt out. Every other method of opting out is worse for general play or interferes with the ability from being a buff to the rest of the population.

On the bright side, something DE have not tried is making the ability a longer base duration (because even with normal modding, it's only about 14 seconds), so that Volts are encouraged not to spam it, causing grief for the people that don't enjoy it.

It would not only be a good buff for Volt (not that he really needs it), but it would put much less pain onto players like yourself.

I have all my settings made so the game doesn't make me feel ill when playing it (simulator sickness). Volt speed effect is nauseating despite this. Only other option is to leave group when volt is present, which makes it hard when volt is popular warframe or wait at spawn point until other members of group go ahead, to be out of range of volt speed buff. This only works to a point, doesn't help the group, and makes the run longer time-wise.
And when the volt is speed-happy and spams speed, end up having to go to other end of map to escape it which doesn't make the run faster (which is one of the points of using volt speed (not the only one)). Then there are the players who like to piss-off those who don't like volt speed and spam it deliberately.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

Besides, you would still have to re-cast anyway, because (according to the statistics) more people want the buff than don't, and there's plenty of ways to lose the buff and want to get it back.

That's the thing the Volt is already re-casting as it is. But to some what fix your problem the effect could re-apply if in range of the Volt and the effect wasn't disabled by use of a back flip. 

6 hours ago, Twisted_Intent said:

I have all my settings made so the game doesn't make me feel ill when playing it (simulator sickness). Volt speed effect is nauseating despite this. Only other option is to leave group when volt is present, which makes it hard when volt is popular warframe or wait at spawn point until other members of group go ahead, to be out of range of volt speed buff. This only works to a point, doesn't help the group, and makes the run longer time-wise.
And when the volt is speed-happy and spams speed, end up having to go to other end of map to escape it which doesn't make the run faster (which is one of the points of using volt speed (not the only one)). Then there are the players who like to piss-off those who don't like volt speed and spam it deliberately.

Yes, and we completely understand that. You have our full sympathies and we're not trying to dismiss you.

My point is that they literally tried everything to do with an opt-out or opt-in situation already, and the one that caused the least issues (and this is according to the testing and feedback of the community as well as their own internal stats that they can accumulate) overall was an opt-out based on a mobility option.

Thus, I suggested a different method; of making the base cast longer, reducing the radius and then possibly removing the recast, so that people can't spam it without deliberately modding for negative Duration.

• Like 2

My idea would be:

Put in options, Opt In to ally powers On Off.

If set to On which will be default, you will automatically be included in the buff/nerf.

If set to Off, you will need to do the uncommon backflip to join.

Because said buffs do have a ticking timer, maybe activate the timer only when you opt in.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

My point is that they literally tried everything to do with an opt-out or opt-in situation already

Come on, you know full well they didn't. They tried literally one thing. And you can't even remotely class it as an "opt out" at all. 

Volt dropped a "powerup" that you had to pick up if you wanted the buff, that's not the same as an opt out, which is largely what people want so as to not detract from others. It's an opt in, which is by and large quite different. A few updates later they reverted it entirely and added in the backflip cancel.

I know, I get it, DE did try and it's appreciated. But they really didn't try everything, not even close. And it absolutely doesn't mean feedback should stop being presented on the issue, because it's absolutely still an issue. An opt out is all that's required, putting the decision in the players hand instead of trying to balance the ability to be hunky dory for everyone.

As I always do, I'll propose that the opt in/opt out is a chat command, such as /speed or /volt. /s or /v for short.

That way there's no required UI, there's no haste to jump through hoops to turn it back on again if you decide you want it, and it's basically impossible to do accidentally. It also means that the ability doesn't need to be tweaked in the slightest, and therefore isn't detrimental to anyone.

• Like 2