Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nightwave Changes: Wolf Spawns & Feedback

Marcooose

14 minutes ago, Lizzrdd said:

What is the hard Boolean cut off?

The fact that if you don't have a heavy crit weapon with radiation damage with you AT ALL TIMES you're essentially SOL. So you need to cart around a fairly specific loadout just for the unlikely event that the Wolf maybe decides to show up. 

I mean yeah if you don't have it you could theoretically burn 40minutes to an hour chip dinging him assuming the mission sanity check timer doesn't trigger and auto fail you. But personally I find babysitting a bullet sponge to be neither challenging nor enthralling.  

It's like here are ~200 some odd weapons and warframes but only take these 7-8 because they're the only ones that can reasonably deal with the Wolf~ IF he bothered to show up~ it's just not good design, IMHO. 

Requiring a specific build and being RNG work individually but in tandem they just don't.

11 minutes ago, Lizzrdd said:

Ah..wow that IS lame...ok time to look at my stuffs...I was wondering why I never see this guy...

The right gear doesn't effect your encounter rate any, it's more of a "if you're not running a wolf approved loadout you're gonna have a bad time" and there is nothing you can do about that but run "wolf approved" gear at all times. You can have the most awesome 12 Formad gun in the game but if it isn't "Right for the Wolf" even if it's "Right for the mission", he's just going to shrug it off like it's not there.  

It wouldn't be such an issue if he had a specific boss encounter where you needed to "take the right gear" because in that instance you know what you're getting into, it's like taking the right loadout for a Sortie or.... a boss. But because of the RNG element you're essentially forced to carry "the right gear" at all times "just in case". 

54 minutes ago, basler04 said:

People saying now that they are level 30 they have no reason to log on and play? So before Nightwave what was your reason to log on and play, Alerts?

In my case now that I'm MR 33 I don't have a reason to continue playing Nightwave.

Right now I'm leveling junk weapons for MR in Hydron while packing a weapon to kill Wolfie, before with Alerts when I felt the need for a change of pace I would just hop into the the one that seems the most fun or had a decent reward.

Hop in, do a mission, have some fun, get your instant reward, back to grinding.

Now in order to get anything out of Nightwave I would need to do 8 bounties or play Index for 3 payoffs and even then only get some EXP, nothing concrete to work towards.

Just some currency that not only doesn't have anything I can trade for I want, but currency that will disappear once the season ends, pass...

8 minutes ago, DasBigHippo24 said:

When is the Wolf's spawn rate actually getting increased? I have seen the guy about 3 or 4 time in weeks of daily play and that was one right after the other about 3 weeks ago.

Wolf spawn rate is or will increase to 4% across all platforms and to 6% in level 20+ missions.

Many thanks for this, Marcus.

It is relieving to know, he is not time-gated.
And we finally have some numbers.
It was complete guessing, untill now.

Information, we welcome with open arms. :heart:

20 hours ago, [DE]Marcus said:

There is a 4% or 6% chance the Wolf will spawn in your mission (depending on mission level). This is outside of the percentage for any Stalker, Zanuka, or Syndicate spawn. It is not possible for multiple assassins to spawn within the same mission (at least, it's not intentional!)

but how it work?

-in survivel each 5min 6% or just the first 5min or 5wave on defense?

- In regards to the spawn rate percentages, is it 4% / 6% per player, or 6% when full squad?

2 hours ago, Oreades said:

The right gear doesn't effect your encounter rate any, it's more of a "if you're not running a wolf approved loadout you're gonna have a bad time" and there is nothing you can do about that but run "wolf approved" gear at all times. You can have the most awesome 12 Formad gun in the game but if it isn't "Right for the Wolf" even if it's "Right for the mission", he's just going to shrug it off like it's not there.  

It wouldn't be such an issue if he had a specific boss encounter where you needed to "take the right gear" because in that instance you know what you're getting into, it's like taking the right loadout for a Sortie or.... a boss. But because of the RNG element you're essentially forced to carry "the right gear" at all times "just in case". 

or just dont fight him. If you care about Killing Wolf, bring the tools to do the job. 

I have a catchmoon that makes quick work of him. I can bring that or bring my primary. 

whats the problem?

48 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

or just dont fight him. If you care about Killing Wolf, bring the tools to do the job. 

I have a catchmoon that makes quick work of him. I can bring that or bring my primary. 

whats the problem?

Good luck with the not fighting him you kinda HAVE LITERALLY NO CHOICE in that cause he's going to keep hammering you till you're dead. Unless you're suggesting that it's super fun and compelling content to have an enemy just RNG into your mission and take a steaming dump on you and your squad. For no other reason than you had the audacity to not sculpt your loadout around his possible arrival.

But wait~ just have and carry a catchmoon with you at all times because hecc the 237 other 2ndary weapons (I'm assuming the wiki is accurate cause I aint manually counting that) and score one for loadout diversity! 

The problem? It's a bad system..... not sure what else needs explaining but you also seem to be firmly in the "it's not a problem for me, so deal" camp so it really doesn't matter what I say anyhow.

THank god, but you need to jack up his spawn rate to 25%, which in your game, Warframe is more akin to 5% anyway.

I have only seen wolf twice in the last 5 weeks of playing, and I only see fugitives once every 10 missions.

10 hours ago, Oreades said:

Good luck with the not fighting him you kinda HAVE LITERALLY NO CHOICE in that cause he's going to keep hammering you till you're dead. Unless you're suggesting that it's super fun and compelling content to have an enemy just RNG into your mission and take a steaming dump on you and your squad. For no other reason than you had the audacity to not sculpt your loadout around his possible arrival.

Or you carry your wolf loadout at all times as I've been doing expecting an increasing spawn rate and he NEVER shows up! 😕

On 2019-04-16 at 2:23 PM, [DE]Marcus said:

Hi all - some feedback has come in about the Wolf of Saturn Six as a miniboss. The Wolf of Saturn Six is the one that does the hunting. So when you're hunting for him... he doesn't always appear.… We’re getting the Wolf out to howl more as we head into the later weeks of Nightwave Series I. 

The Wolf's spawn rate will be increased across all four platforms to 4%, and for missions that are level 20+ it will be increased to 6%. One of the major exceptions is that he doesn't spawn in Open Worlds, so keep that in mind. Note that the end of Nightwave Series I does not mean the end of the Wolf of Saturn Six appearances - he'll still be around! 

We also have much-requested clarity for everyone: The earliest date we will end Nightwave Series I is May 15th

Cheers and happy hunting.. and remember... this isn't over yet and it is the Wolf who hunts you...!

EDIT: These changes are live as of posting! New spawn rates are already implemented across all four platforms

Please seriously consider giving Nightwave: Series 1 an end-of-series event where we turn the tables around and hunt him down as a proper miniboss for a bit. With an amped-up Wolf that's actually a decent challenge. Even if it's only for a weekend, or maybe give it a community-wide completion thing.

I've seen him once during this whole event, and he dropped a freaking North Wind mod. Very disappointing. Which, for the record, makes Nightwave as a whole... disappointing. Granted, I don't grind as large a number of normal missions as other players can, but I work for a living and only get a short bit of time per week to really play. You'd think I'd at least run into him during my Fissure runs.

Considering the low chance to get his GOOD drops, you'd think he would spawn significantly more often, or we'd at least have a way to specifically find him. Even if we are the ones being hunted, we should have a way to bait him out into the open. When hunters are being hunted, we know how to turn the tables. Why can't we use Wolf Creds after rank 30 of Nightwave to purchase some sort of beacon to lure him in? Why can't you make it so every fugitive we capture increases our individual chance to spawn the Wolf?

I've captured hundreds of fugitives at this point. I see them at least every other mission. You think he'd REALLY hate me by now...

5 hours ago, Sabremouse said:

Or you carry your wolf loadout at all times as I've been doing expecting an increasing spawn rate and he NEVER shows up! 😕

See that's the thing, and I have zero problem with a boss encounter that requires a specific loadout. I also have no issue with an enemy like the Stalker who shows up but you can functionally handle with any "complete" loadout, I mean his pre-requ is that you have pretty much finished modding your gear. 

What I think they where shooting for was a "chocolate and peanut butter" or "Smores" scenario where two good things that taste great, taste even better together. Aaaand what they got was something more like Chocolate and Sardines, in that I'm sure someone out there probably likes them and they won't technically kill you if you eat them but you are effectively looking at a "but why tho?" food combo that I'd only really consider if I where legit starving. 

Which is why I'd love to see the wolf as a fixed boss encounter because as I said, I have zero issues with needing a specific loadout for a boss. Since it's an encounter that's guaranteed to happen on that node but asking people to carry that loadout at all times in the off chance that the encounter might happen is just no bueno. 

I mean alternatively if the Wolf was possible to kill (in a reasonable time frame) without carting around specific anti-Wolf gear, I'd be fine if he stayed RNG. 

RNG encounters = Good

Boss loadouts = Good

RNG encounters + Boss loadouts != Good

As far as wolf spawns, you aren't missing much. Past the initial "Oh boys, we gettin' Wolfed!" cause one of two scenarios is going to play out after that 

1. You have the loadout to beat him and you beat him aaaaaand from everything I've gathered his droptable is pretty garbo. 
  2. You don't have the loadout to beat him aaaand he's just going to bulletsponge you until everyone gets bored. 

6 hours ago, Sabremouse said:

Eh, it kinda sucks when I have to lug my Catchmoon (or Rubico Prime) everywhere and need to use a Sarpa to boot. I normally run CP so I can't be half assed if I forget the Sarpa. The problem is i really dislike the Catchmoon (and don't fancy the Rubico for every mission). Yet the Wolf spawn chance makes it so that I have to run prepared, rather than forgo the Catchmoon (or Rubico) so I can use the stuff I like more.

Yeah, before you go "but the Catchmoon is OP for all game types", yes, I have a relatively good Riven for it and it does kill everything fast enough but I don't like these kind of guns. Thing is, making the wolf a random spawn that requires a very specific loadout to defeat kind of locks you into the loadout, which is annoying because you may not like the loadout mechanically despite how effective it is.

Sure, I can of course play Volt every mission and carry electric shield around but ... why?

Archived