Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Remove the annoying riven unlock requirements

_Akronus_

Counterpoint: every single challenge type has methods one can abuse to easily complete the challenge. 

They aren’t perfect by any means (I’d like to see a greater variety of challenges myself) but in their current state are more engaging and interesting then a “slot machine” in my opinion.

• Like 6

I wouldn't care for the slot machine approach either but wouldn't mind getting rid of the challenges in some way. Maybe if we have to run with the riven equipped for a certain number of missions or the riven needs to be equipped to a certain weapon and run a mission with said weapon to unlock the riven. I have a couple of rivens that I will end up selling because I don't do the challenge needed to unlock them. But that is just my opinion.

• Like 1

What good do these challenges even do? Would anything of particular importance be lost if players could just click "Unveil?"

I don't think so.

None of the challenges are particularly difficult, and even then the relative difficulty of the challenge has absolutely no effect on the rarity or quality of the Riven.

IMO the fewer arbitrary hoops we have to waste time jumping through, the better.

I don't really think those things are annoying, yet i don't really think those things are something good/fun to do neither.

Maybe we'll get just a bit less "hype" for what got unveiled... because, well, your effort.

But almost all of the riven is trash anyways, so not that much.

The challenges are pretty pointless. It hurts newer players, as they may not have the means to complete the challenge. Personally I find them annoying.

Maybe keep them veiled so they can be traded, but with like 25k credits to unlock it. Some people really get off on the gamble and it wouldn't completely bomb the riven economy.

On 2019-04-16 at 2:05 PM, DiabolusUrsus said:

What good do these challenges even do? Would anything of particular importance be lost if players could just click "Unveil?"

I don't think so.

None of the challenges are particularly difficult, and even then the relative difficulty of the challenge has absolutely no effect on the rarity or quality of the Riven.

IMO the fewer arbitrary hoops we have to waste time jumping through, the better.

They'd be better off getting rid of Rivens, tbh.

I mean, the OP makes the connection to slot machines straight off, and that's exactly what they are. 100% Certified Fresh DE Gashapon.

1 hour ago, SECURATYYY said:

The challenges are pretty pointless. It hurts newer players, as they may not have the means to complete the challenge. Personally I find them annoying.

Maybe keep them veiled so they can be traded, but with like 25k credits to unlock it. Some people really get off on the gamble and it wouldn't completely bomb the riven economy.

They don't do S#&$ for new players 'cause new players aren't getting rivens in the first damn place. If you're at the point where you're riven chasing, then you're at the point where you should be teaching yourself how to use the game's mechanics to complete the challenges.

I help out a lot of newbies. Rivens are more abundant than you think. Often then get one from a sortie or GOTL, and I help them unlock it. Usually they don't have the required MR to use it, but they still have it.

Also, no need to be so aggressive. Chill.

3 hours ago, TheGrimCorsair said:

They'd be better off getting rid of Rivens, tbh.

I mean, the OP makes the connection to slot machines straight off, and that's exactly what they are. 100% Certified Fresh DE Gashapon.

I agree 100%, but we're in too deep for them to successfully remove them. Rivens have simply made them too much money for them to abandon or remove, even if they want to pretend like they'll do the right thing on moral grounds.

"OMG we just created a slot machine."

Yep, good job taking that one out. Except you came back and added one that is arguably worse.

I'm sure people will hate this, but bypassing the challenges seems like a natural fit for a plat solution...

Other than that, I wouldn't mind being able to reroll challenges.   For one thing, I'd totally look forward to the first "DAMMIT DE, I GOT Complete a defense mission solo undetected with level 30 or higher enemies while wall clinging without the defense objective taking any damage THREE TIMES IN A ROW!" post. 😛

But overall I think the challenges are one of the more creative things in the game..  We could do with more variety in them, but I wouldn't want to see them removed.

My issues with the "challenges" is that it's just "how to not do them" / "Learn to cheese", so yes actually they are just annoying, and the fact that most of them are crap is not appealing / is disappointing.

Yesterday I had to "headshot 8 ivory ballistas undetected and invisible", so I ended up crafting Itzal, going lest after enterance, kills that ballista in the watchtower using Itzal 2, get back to Cestus, rince, repeat, 8 times. --> Yeah A vulkar Riven with recoil reduction

The day before it was "soloing survival without killing NPC with a dragon key equipped", which was also another annoying 5min wasted.

I'm not asking to remove them, but I expected something else than crappy "truth or dare", which lead to finding the way to casualize them

Edited by MonsterOfMyOwn

On 2019-04-16 at 10:08 PM, OmegaZero said:

Counterpoint: every single challenge type has methods one can abuse to easily complete the challenge. 

They aren’t perfect by any means (I’d like to see a greater variety of challenges myself) but in their current state are more engaging and interesting then a “slot machine” in my opinion. 

I agree with you, but not in all the challenges. Example:

Complete a solo interception missoin with level 30 or above enemies with a hobbled dragon key without being downed.
or
Collect 14 syndicate medallions with a hobbled dragon key equiped.

I know, they are not hard. But jesus, i rather sell them than lose my time doing such an annoying mission. Sometimes it's not a matter of the challenge being hard but just and simply awfully annoying and boring.

On 2019-04-17 at 12:05 AM, DiabolusUrsus said:

What good do these challenges even do? Would anything of particular importance be lost if players could just click "Unveil?" [...] IMO the fewer arbitrary hoops we have to waste time jumping through, the better.

It's "balance by annoyance." There's nothing specifically difficult or exclusionary about the Riven challenges, but they're a pain in the ass which keeps people who wouldn't care about them anyway (i.e. me) from experimenting with Rivens. Given DE know well just how stupidly broken-overpowered Rivens are, I suspect they'll cling onto any minor bit of inconvenience in attaining them. They seem to subscribe to the notion that overpowered gear is OK as long as few people have it, so they use annoyance and grind in place of proper balance. Rivens are a prime example, though hardly the only one.

To be clear - I agree with you entirely. Riven challenges have no purpose beyond adding inconvenience to a system that DE would like fewer people to use. Not much of value would be lost by removing them. However, I'm cynical enough to believe that anything which makes attaining or working with Rivens easier or more convenient is unlikely to happen.

2 hours ago, Steel_Rook said:

To be clear - I agree with you entirely. Riven challenges have no purpose beyond adding inconvenience to a system that DE would like fewer people to use. Not much of value would be lost by removing them. However, I'm cynical enough to believe that anything which makes attaining or working with Rivens easier or more convenient is unlikely to happen.

I see what you're saying, but I think it's more likely that DE is more interested in manufacturing rarity to drive trading (and thus potential for profit) than any pretense at balance.

If they cared about balance, they never would have made dispositions popularity-based. So I agree with your cynical outlook; just from a different viewpoint.

• Like 2