Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

If given the power which starter frame would you replace...

Chicken-Biryani

I'd opt to swap Mag  for Oberon.

Why Mag? I find it takes a good selection of mods to really get her to shine and not be super squishy. As a teaching tool for a new player to learn how to DOOOODGE that's all fine and good but I've seen more than my share of new players frustrated over choosing her over Volt or Excal.

As for whyOberon? Well, he has a 1 that deals damage same as all the other starters, so it would still work fine with Vors Prize quest, he can self heal (which is really helpful for a new player) clear status effects, and could potentially help a new player learn how to chain abilities for greater effect without being too demanding on a lot of mods to be a really solid frame.

• Like 5

That’s a great question...ummm, I think I would just force everyone to use Excalibur...SUCH a great all rounder.  But to answer the question, I’d replace volt with rhino.  His skin gives confidence and a reason to learn power strength, and therefore the others.  Excels are a little to advanced imo.

• Like 1

Starter frame, Ember instead of Mag. Mag makes little sense to me this early on and Ember can be quite powerful in low-level content. Another option would be to put Loki instead of Mag because the selection in this case would be warrior (Excalibur), mage/elementalist (Volt) and Rogue/Thief (Loki) which corresponds to archetypes we often see in various games. I know of course that such a distinction makes very little sense in Warframe, but it'd give new players the base of thinking the various frames as platforms for different playstyles.

• Like 2

Switch Excalibur to Frost.

That way people have the option of a Mag being the caster, Volt being mostly offensive/gunplay and Frost as defensive. I know Excalibur sort of is Warframe's signature frame, but oh well..

I'd never switch Mag out. Both Volt and Excal are boring for my taste, so if I didn't have Mag to start out with, I'd likely have quit. I like her being challenging, rather than the other 2 snoozefest frames.

Edited by Frennick

Loki? IIRC, he was removed from starter frames because no direct damage and he needs a little bit of modding to stay invisible for 30 seconds.

I think Mag is a solid starter frame.

Edit: Don’t forget, new player do not have Corrupted and Prime mods. Or Forma. Or even basic ones like Flow or Continuity. Or any idea how to min-max frames.

Edited by rand0mname
  • Like 2

If i have the power to do that, i would go on one of these:

1) Excalibur remains, but Loki and Frost replaces Mag and Volt.

2) Mag remains, but Banshee and Nyx replaces Excalibur and Volt.

3) Volt remains, but Ember and Saryn would replace Excalibur and Mag.

4) Rhino, Oberon and Trinity would replace Excalibur, Mag and Volt.

I'd keep Excalibur as a starter (for me he's kinda the poster boy, so he has to stay). Volt is ok(ish), but replaceable.

Mag is to weak for a new player, lacking mods more than the others. I'd pick a more survivable caster like frost or saryn (even though the later might be a bit to strong).

• Like 1

Mag is incredibly powerful at starter level. First skill one-shot everything at low level content, 2 carries the player through all junctions fight and 3 give back shield.

I see so often beginner with Excal or Volt struggling to get past Jupiter junction against Valkitty. While Mag starter players just bubble her and nuke without any issues.

I would probably switch Volt for Oberon or Ember tho. Volt is nice and all but he requires some mods to function properly IMO. And Oberon is so easy to get anyway.

Ash could be nice for a starter frame too. After all he is the embodiment of "Ninja" in the game.

I wouldn't replace any, but i would add Banshee, Loki, Hydroid and maybe Oberon to the starters, with a proper description and warning about each frame's skill requirements.

Trinity is too good at its role and easy to use to be a starter imo., and i think the same will apply to Ash and Nyx once each gets their proper reworks.

• Like 2

Excal, Volt Frost, Mag Zephyr

any straight forward frames that are simple to mod or require only few basic mods to function well, considering the state of the modding system. Additionally, Excal for obvious reasons, Frost for good balance of defense + cc(sadly only useful to new players) + dmg, Zephyr for a niche/special starter, with also good defense and cc, plus new players naturally drawn to POE anyway, but replace her with any non-mod reliant frame is fine.

• Like 1

Excalibur

Mag -> Trinity

Volt -> Loki

Right now the starters are a melee buff/CC frame, a melee buff/nuke frame, and a nuke frame.

That lineup would give you a melee buff/CC frame, a support/healing buff frame, and a stealth/utility frame, all of which are straightforward, well-balanced, and able to function without much in the way of mods.

I'd swap Volt with Oberon and Mag with Banshee.

On Oberon: A defensive frame to counterweight Excalibur's offensive gameplay. He is more suited than Volt to serve as an "alternative to gunplay" due to his crowd control and elemental status effect abilities plus solid defense and the ability to heal, which would have been very neat for me early on in defense missions (More so if playing solo). He's easier to mod for than Volt as well with less min-maxing involved.

Banshee: Serves as a tactical/stealth alternative counterpart to both Excalibur's offense and Oberon's defense for carefully picking out enemies one at a time. The Paris bow at the beginning instinctively made me hunt down enemies without exposing myself early on, but this would have been nicely complemented by her passive if I had chosen the Braton, and her abilities boost damage in case she is a bind, and help her work as an assassin with damage boosts that reward her for being silent and efficient. Great for solo.

Edited by Jarriaga
  • Like 1

Mag for Rhino, that way you'd have.

Rhino - Tankyness + gunplay + buffs

Volt - Casting + gunplay + buffs

Excal - Durable melee posterchild that introduces you to exalteds.

Mag is just too easy to think "ehrmagerd she zo bads!" because you are new, have little clue about the game, builds and lack access to useful mods.