Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Do multi-abilities feel clunky to anyone else?

Zectico

2 minutes ago, Zectico said:

I feel like it takes forever to cast anything.

Do you mean like Ivara's arrows? I don't find it to be that much of a problem. The main issue is that DE gives us totally useless options on them. Having to scroll through half as many options would improve it. But I don't think there is an issue - maybe it is easier on Controllers than KB?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, krc473 said:

Having to scroll through half as many options would improve it. But I don't think there is an issue - maybe it is easier on Controllers than KB?

My main problem is that it's easy to toggle too far, and have to cycle through again - along with accidentally casting the wrong ability (especially on Wisp).

• Like 6

In cases where I want to actually use more than one of the options, especially with Titania and Grendel, it's very clunky. I just wish we could bind them all to their own hotkeys.

Edited by trst
  • Like 7

14 minutes ago, Zectico said:

Anyone else bothered by multi-abilities?

I feel like it takes forever to cast anything.

You're right! It does take forever to cast anything. For some bizarre reason, the devs decided that pressing the button should cycle, while holding it will cast. This hold period to trigger the cast is awkwardly long, leading to abilities being cast at the completely wrong time. (I have distinct memories of trying to cast Ivara's arrows while aim gliding, and because of the delay for casting I would end up gliding too far away by the time it was cast, and then my arrow would end up in the totally wrong place!) Luckily, you're not the first to discover this weird choice, and the devs have added a way to change it in options. There is a setting under gameplay called "Invert cast/hold abilities" or something like that. If you turn this on, the ability will cycle with hold, and cast with press. It feels much, much better to do it this way. The only downside is that cycling is now slow. 

• Like 8

vor 5 Minuten schrieb xHeretic:

You aren't the only one with this issue, but honestly dunno how they can improve this

For Ivara it could work target wise.

- Enemy hit, sleep arrow

- Friend hit, cloak arrow

- Hit envoirment or walls, dashwire arrow

- Hit floor, noise arrow

Vauban somewhat simliar aswell, allys for buff, floor for pad, enemy for damage ball, wall for the pull traps.

4 minutes ago, Marine027 said:

- Enemy hit, sleep arrow

- Hit floor, noise arrow

Vauban somewhat simliar aswell, allys for buff, floor for pad, enemy for damage ball, wall for the pull traps.

considering how fast this game gets, dunno if this viable but probably it would be better than what we have right now

21 minutes ago, Marine027 said:

- Enemy hit, sleep arrow

- Hit floor, noise arrow

What should a player do for self cloak/overdrive?

• Like 1

Definitely. I tend to just pick the most generally useful one and stick to it. Because, in the heat of the moment, I tend to just hit cast, like any other frame. And if I am on the wrong ability, then I cast the wrong one. I don't have time to stop, look at my HUD, and figure out how to cycle to the one I want. When I need an ability, I need it NOW, not after rummaging around in my pockets for it.

Making it so that tapping the button casts, and holding brings up a gear wheel style menu to choose a different one. That way, you could simply move your mouse or analog stick up/down/left/right to choose what ability you want. This way, it would always be the same action to select each ability, instead of having it be dependent on your starting position. Flechette Orb would always be "hold 2, flick left", instead of two cycles from Vector Pad, three from Tether Coil, etc. It would take the same amount of time to switch from any ability to any other one. And, instead of having to memorize how many times you have to cycle to get from every power to every other power, it would become muscle memory.

The most annoying, though, is Wisp's Reservoirs. There is basically never a situation where you don't want to place all three, but doing so takes forever. You have to tap and hold the button three times in every single spot you want your motes to be. Sometimes I end up accidentally placing the same one twice, because I didn't hold the button long enough to get it to cycle, or I miss one, because I held the button a little too long and it cycled instead of casting.

With her specifically, there really needs to be a way to cast all three with one button press. Maybe a fourth "all" option as well as the individual ones.

• Like 3

They're much easier once you swap the option for "Invert Tap/Hold Abilities."

Unfortunately Khora is the reverse of every other frame so whichever way you prefer, she'll be the wrong way, and for some insane reason Gauss' thermal sunder swaps with it as well.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Teljaxx said:

I need it NOW, not after rummaging around in my pockets for it.

Perfect description of what it feels like. By the time you swap to the right ability it's not needed anymore.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sevek7 said:

You're right! It does take forever to cast anything. For some bizarre reason, the devs decided that pressing the button should cycle, while holding it will cast. This hold period to trigger the cast is awkwardly long, leading to abilities being cast at the completely wrong time. (I have distinct memories of trying to cast Ivara's arrows while aim gliding, and because of the delay for casting I would end up gliding too far away by the time it was cast, and then my arrow would end up in the totally wrong place!) Luckily, you're not the first to discover this weird choice, and the devs have added a way to change it in options. There is a setting under gameplay called "Invert cast/hold abilities" or something like that. If you turn this on, the ability will cycle with hold, and cast with press. It feels much, much better to do it this way. The only downside is that cycling is now slow. 

Yeah I used this invert cast/hold abilities function as well. I just wish there was uniformity among all cast/hold abilities. I believe Khora is different than the others. I know Vauban, Ivara and Titania are the same. I can't remember if Grendel is like Khora or the rest (at least I believe Khora is one of the outliers).

• Like 1

The whole ability cycle option is rather clunky. As other people have stated, the invert tap/hold abilities makes life a little easier, but it's not perfect. I can't really think of any way to fix it besides having the ability to set keybinds for each one. Not sure if this would work for a controllers. I suppose you could set a macro to cycle abilities, but I'm not sure if that is kosher with DE. 

I play wisp a lot and I have gotten used to cycling her motes. I also use Natural talent so the whole process of dropping all 3 is a little faster. I have also gotten in the habit of dropping them on the move. You can drop one, cycle and repeat without ever coming to a full stop. I normally drop all 3 and then cycle back to the haste mote so i can at least keep my speed buff up in fast missions. 

For Khora I just set big kitty to heal little kitty and forget i even have that ability. 

The rest of the frames that that have cycle abilities i just don't play. Titania/Grendel/Vauban never interested me, having to cycle abilities was definitely a factor in my decision to ignore those frames. Wisp and Khora were too good to ignore though, I just deal with it because I have no other options. 

• Like 1

They should just rework those skills.

Tribute could easily be a single cast skill that gets all the benefits, it isnt that strong to begin with. Or reduced to two, tap for the two first, hold for the other two.

Nourish the same deal, not strong enough for 3 clunky seperate casts. Either cast all 3 on tap or split them up into toxin buffs on tap, energy buff on hold.

Mine layer, reduce it to two mines. Buff+flechette on tap, Buff+tether on hold with the speed mine removed. You'd get an area indicator for the traps, when inside that area you get the buff, similar to motes.

Motes, reduced to two casts. Health+Speed on tap, lightning on hold (since it isnt useful in all instances).

Arrows could also be reduced. tap could shoot sleep while placing a cloak area at Ivaras feet, hold could shoot dashwire while placing a cloak area at Ivaras feet. If used on a friendly target sleep arrow would cloak it. Remove noise arrow to reduce skill clutter.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, trst said:

In cases where I want to actually use more than one of the options, especially with Titania and Grendel, it's very clunky. I just wish we could bind them all to their own hotkeys.

Yeah, maybe something like f1 to 4 would be already better, if they make this an option