Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

First Rule Of Warframe...Vs. The Last Rule of Warframe...and it means leaving.

First Rule of Warframe: Never get attached to anything in this game.

versus.

The Last Rule of Warframe: Eventually everyone gets mad at this game, yet returns.

Well I'm gonna share a story on why a player 'me' who plays everyday in large swaths of time has finally embraced the last rule, which has a few stages...The stages follow as: 

1. Realization you're mad at the game.

2. Finding another game. Realizing even more why you're mad at Warframe.

3. Stewing.

4. Announcing you're mad at the game and you're leaving (Current position. We are here.) even though you've left.

5. Nagging knowledge of potential better mods and content opportunity is around the corner,

6. Welcome back to Warframe.

There are a ton of rules in-between these two main fellows, and one day I'll make a t-shirt out of them, but for now I'm just gonna share why I've embraced taking a break from Warframe and why it got me angry...because..I did not adhere to rule number one...

So long story short I'm going to use the Arca Plasmor as an example of the symptom of why I'm currently getting my butt whooped by all the Master Rank monsters in Monster Hunter World thanks to a sale on Iceborne and my forays in web slinging through New York in Spiderman while finding myself not really caring about Umbra forma or kit guns primaries or anything else related in Warframe in this moment of time...when I really used to...badly.

So as we all know Arca Plasmor got totally wiped out...I haven't really used it in a while due to enjoying the Kuva Hind/Karrack/Tonkor/and Vaykor Hek...These have been mostly my goto weapons of late...I have a Bramma, but that only comes out for infested arbitrations where its welcomed, solo missions and netflixing defense runs on Senchura. I knew that one was getting a nerf, so rule one was like yeah no liking this weapon or relying on it beyond lower solo content....Now this is effectively is wasting my time on earth, I mean I had to endure a Kuva Lich process for it and level five times so it can practically do nothing...which, brings me back to the Arca Plasmor...

Now understand I'm using multiple weapons ranging from what I listed above from the kuva variants to the Shedu and Basmu while I'm noting my Arca Plasmor just sitting there..and you see DE places in all these visuals on what the gun has..from catalysts, forma, rank, tomato, and what focus lens it has on it...

And it was at that moment that my mind went over the time wasted on such a weapon....

From creating the dojo, collecting the material, the hours it takes to make the fieldron, the crafting, the forma, the leveling, the bounties to get said lens, getting a exilus slot open with the adapter you have to craft..on and on..only for it to be doing nothing...let alone the riven I went after in sorties for it, actually getting it, maxing it out and changing out a slot for it while pulling the kuva handle many, many times to get the perfect role. Throw in the farming for vicious spread in the derelict as well' for what?...Only for it to be nerfed...Essentially taking my time and flushing it right down a drain...

Now I know this is the weapon cycle in Warframe...so I laughed when I felt the tinge of I AM OUT OF HERE...but, even knowing that' one has their limits...

So really this is just feedback on a part of the malaise that creeps into the player base and one should take in to account that it's a pretty brutal cycle..So I'm taking break from the game, but... NOT THE FORUMS...

So remember never get attached to anything..and really one should never infest too much into a weapon or frame...This cycle repeats due to adding new content consistently so all that prior effort is and will be wasted...especially on normal frames when they are going to be replaced by a Prime variant..So tend to cherish your time' it's a wonderful commodity...I guess buyer beware as they say.

Edited by (PS4)FriendSharkey
  • Like 7

Nope.

I 'get done' with games all the time.

I don't get mad, I just look around one day and realize I would like some different entertainment.

There is no reason to let ones emotions run off the hook over being done with what a video game has to offer.

There is no reason to treat the game like a jilted lover.

Just because some gamers cannot control thier emotions and keep the perspective that it's just a game, does not mean 'everyone gets mad and leaves'.

Edited by Zimzala
speeling
  • Like 17

Just now, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

Now understand I'm using multiple weapons ranging from what I listed above from the kuva variants to the Shedu and Basmu while I'm noting my Arca Plasmor just sitting there.

I remember the day where it was my go to weapon, i have 6 million kill and 11.4% usaged on that thing before they neft it. 

Just now, Zimzala said:

don't get mad, I just look around one day and realize I would like some different entertainment.

There is no reason to let ones emotions run off the hook over being done with what a video game has to offer.

There is no reason to treat the game like a jilted lover.

Just because some gamers cannot control thier emotions and keep the perspective that it's just a game, does not mean 'everyone gets mad and leaves'.

That because other game don't change overtime this game will have more to offer and if you don't like the derection it heading you will get mad at it.

You may not treat it as  jilted lover.because you don't have the same passion. Name me a game that give the same kind of experience as Warframe.

And yes people are getting mad and leaving, have you seen the player number?

• Like 3

il y a 9 minutes, (PS4)FriendSharkey a dit :

versus.

The Last Rule of Warframe: Eventually everyone gets mad at this game, yet returns.

Been playing actively since nova prime access, got attached to many things and never got "mad" at the game. Annoyed, desabused sometime but in the end i never told myself "it's over i'm leaving this game suck".i knock on wood.

(and you can say the first the sentence is a rule but the second one is a truth even though it's not true for everyone which mean it's a fake truth meaning it's more like an innacurate  assessment that match a certain group of people but i digress and ithink i've got too much free time.)

• Like 1

Il y a 1 heure, (PS4)FriendSharkey a dit :

3. Stewing.

4. Announcing you're mad at the game and you're leaving (Current position. We are here.) even though you've left.

5. Nagging knowledge of potential better mods and content opportunity is around the corner,

i've been through this sycle 3 times already XD

• Like 1

I play for long periods, then take a break and come back. It's natural. 

This game has changed drastically, on a regular basis, since it came out. The game is inherently dynamic so it doesn't make sense to get emotionally attached to any specific thing no matter how much time you invested in it.

There's a saying about doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results....

• Like 1

The trick is to never fully invest in something that youre not willing to lose. Just like dont gamble money you cant afford to throw away. 

Ive had my bouts of this though. 

Vengeful eclipse mirage was the most recent. Even bought the kuva skin. Havent used her since they borked it. 

Its why i wont dump thousands into buying a riven. 

If you are of the understanding that there is a good chance something you are investing in or really really like is going to get ruined, then you can take it for what it is. Temporary. 

Welcome to the world of games as a service. Warframe can, does, and will change anything and everything over time, if anything this is the only thing worth calling a "rule" of Warframe. Anyone who doesn't like that anything can change would be best off avoiding this type of game entirely. And this isn't some dismissive blanket response either as this is just how these games work and you'll be very hard pressed to find one that doesn't have issues stemming from this.

However the Plasmor and Bramma aren't even a case of this as the weapons were outright overpowered and what they got was balancing. Something that every single game is and should be subject to. But you should be glad that the weapons aren't just still usable but are still viable to use even if nerfed as opposed to other games like this that could have made them obsolete and impossible to use in any new content or outright removed the weapons from the game altogether.

But what would anyone even want as a solution to this system anyways? Leaving a weapon not only as it but keeping its performance as is creates more problems for the game as a whole. If gear had its performance and functions remained untouched then eventually we get content that overshadows it as there would be no excuse to nerf or buff it leading to a point where your investment can only be used in lower-level dated content you already grinded out for rewards. While keeping how it performs relative to the game would require balancing and buffing it (potentially causing investment related problems anyways) to remain relevant but creates a growing issue of every new item becoming yet another thing that needs individual review should it fall below the curve with new content or to stop making harder/different content all together. Plus there are so many secondary aspects of the game that can change that would change how a weapon performs like adjusting enemy stats, new enemy effects, changing secondary systems (status, damage types, etc), new/reworked maps, etc that would all create issues in maintaining old weapons.

Edited by trst
  • Like 3

I very rarely leave gaas games that are F2P or B2P. They need to end up at some serious point of flaws in order for me to put them on the shelf.

I left ESO because PvP was just a lag zerg fest.

I left GW2 for the same reason, plus their "living world" was mostly content that was done in 30 minutes with practically zero rewards (plus I got tired of tab target gaming at the point).

I left D3 because the loot system was S#&$e, came back a good while after RoS and started over, left again because it was the same content and just seasons over and over.

I left PoE due to being so very hit and miss with leagues, so starting over every league with hopes the season mechanics were good took the fun out of it. Mat return when PoE2 goes live.

I left Black Desert because of sync issues in PvP, came back later to find out it was now full blown P2W.

Marvel Heroes I never left or really took a break from, there were times when I played it less each day, the same deal goes for WF. Even if I do play other games, I'll still get a couple of hours of things done in WF and feel kinda rewarded by it aswell versus the time invested. If WoW wasnt a sub based game I'd probably still play it aswell a couple of hours per day, but due to the sub I quit it cold turkey several years ago after an 8 year long period of fun in it.

1 hour ago, KurtisPrime said:

That because other game don't change overtime this game will have more to offer and if you don't like the derection it heading you will get mad at it.

You may not treat it as  jilted lover.because you don't have the same passion. Name me a game that give the same kind of experience as Warframe.

And yes people are getting mad and leaving, have you seen the player number?

Plenty of GaaS games change over time, I play a ton of them.

I don't get mad about leaving one, I don't get mad when they change, that's just silly, IMO, it's just another video game.

I play WF because there is not another game quite like it, that's the point, but GaaS games change as much as WF has over time.

The players numbers per DE have risen, even as profit fell.

Just because people move on to other games does mean they are mad about anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

So remember never get attached to anything..and really one should never infest too much into a weapon or frame...This cycle repeats due to adding new content consistently so all that prior effort is and will be wasted...especially on normal frames when they are going to be replaced by a Prime variant..So tend to cherish your time' it's a wonderful commodity...I guess buyer beware as they say.

I remember when I was once young and idealistic. Full of pride and energy with a roaring fire in my belly that wasn't just caused by fireball whisky. This is life my friend it comes in so many flavours and mediums that the very basic principle of what you say here is literally in everything it is just a matter of one's own tolerance. I remember my years in WoW many many years my entire identity being a Mage and nothing else. My passion, my power, and my sheer knowledge of the game hours spent debating single talent points in a spec on ElitiestJerks, and in my guild where I was Mage Class leader and a officer. Oh the memories of that which I would never trade for anything. But the reality was with each Expansion they tried to grow the game my class changed, things I loved were taken, new loves were made, and then taken again. Until after many years my entire DPS rotation was reduced to 3 buttons and what then, when what I loved and knew was gone, and all I had played with had moved on what then so too did I get on my dragon and auto fly into the sunset as I logged out for a final time and closed the chapter of WoW in my life forever. I no longer recognised the game and it was no longer fun for me and so I left it to those who still enjoyed it. Well at least until classic came along and I dropped in for nostalgia for a little while.

It matters not the age but only that when you hit the age of reason the understanding of that which you're never in direct control over you should never become extremely attached to it. It is a hard lesson in life and while it may be a bit presumptuous of me to say that it's one everyone needs to learn. Yes the world changes and so do we in our own ways. Being overly rigid makes one easily breakable, being too malleable makes one weak. And you know what, I am gonna say your experience is okay, and take a break if you need it, quit the game if you feel you need too. Don't force yourself to play something you no longer feel is compatible with you. You will become bitter in the end, and at the end of that path is disdain not just for whatever game you may be playing but for games in general because these days you will find they are all to similar to one another in the live service age. 

It takes a strong mind to withstand insult and injury, to endure the burdens of an ever changing world. Cultivating patience allows one to hold their head high and face those burdens head on whether they be in the real world or the digital one. Having the fortitude to step back while exercising restraint when ones emotions run high is the will of kings. 

So a word of caution from someone who has lived, if you are gonna take a break step away from the forums as well. Constant reminders will just fester in your heart denying you the respite from the woes you so articulately spelled out so boldly. 

Edited by Magus_Tahir
Typo war #59
  • Like 3

I left for a while, but I never really left totally I guess. I just didn't have a working pc. 

I tried a from scratch no platinum playthrough on xbox to see how long it would take to get umbra from nothing (this was well before railjack, took me 36 hours), and tried a little bit on switch, although I didn't really care for the switch's limitations. 

I was playing a lot less even when my pc had burned out though, and I do feel refreshed upon coming back. And I was never mad, just burnt out. 

Tired of grinding... and in general had forgotten how to enjoy the game doing different things while getting stuff I need, instead of making the game just about getting stuff I need. 

I do sympathize though, burnout comes in many forms and anger can be one of them. Enjoy your break from the game, and come back to it when you feel ready, you'll probably enjoy it a lot more when you do. 

• Like 1

I'm mostly on board with the first rule, but I like to think more, "never get too attached to anything in this game". To me, if you're getting mad when something changes even a little bit, that's the sign you're too attached.

If you follow the first rule, the last "rule" isn't needed. Putting too heavy an expectation on something, and staking your emotion on it, is asking for trouble. We know from experience the game changes, and it's not perfect (no game is except Katamari Damaci).

Mad... over a video game? My only complaint would be why screw with the zenistar? True it's a melee weapon but at one time; it felt like an achievement to get it. This was before the login reward changes where you could pick the reward you wanted. There's very few things in this game to set you apart from everyone else. That long wait for the zenistar login reward was one of them, the special mechanic of deploying the disc and using it with Ivara was fun.  Yeah you can still build the combo counter and get more out of it but that "should" have been an add on to the base mechanic and that would've been praise worthy.. Instead for most players it felt like a nerf and it's a rarity for me to see anyone use a zeni in game 

Currently my zeni collects dust in my arsenal... which is a shame because it used to be a fun special weapon to me..

• Like 1

Il y a 15 heures, (PS4)ForNoPurpose a dit :

Ive never done 4 myself because at that point i dont care much enough.

On haitus #3 atm, no mans sky on mu new pc 🙂

Indeed.. before my 3rd break i lost all interest in getting new items/frames.. i was only playing to have fun with my friends

If I wasn't attached to something in a game, I'd quickly stop playing it. Jumping around and shooting things is fun and fun will get me to play for a bit, but any game has to give me something more if I'm going to continue to put my time into it.

That's one of the reasons so many MMOs have clans. It turns out that people in clans or other groups tend to stay much longer, even if they primarily play solo. Other people are attached to the characters and story. I'm sure lots of people have a favorite warframe that they connect with.

Me, I adore my Kubrow. I got him not long after my dog in the real world had to be put down. Silly as it sounds, whenever I log in and see my space-doggo, it makes my day a little brighter.

The human brain is 80% primate emotion, 15% survival instinct, and 5% higher intelligence. Rationality and self-control is just a pleasant frosting on the cake of your mind. Civilization and all its benefits is much easier to sustain when we're not screeching and flinging poop every time something bothers us. 

It's okay to get attached to things. It's natural that something that can make you feel happy and satisfied can also make you feel sad or angry. And if something is making you more frustrated than happy, taking a break is fine.

19 hours ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

versus.

Well I'm gonna share a story on why a player 'me' who plays everyday in large swaths of time has finally embraced the last rule, which has a few stages...The stages follow as: 

3. Stewing.

There are a ton of rules in-between these two main fellows, and one day I'll make a t-shirt out of them, but for now I'm just gonna share why I've embraced taking a break from Warframe and why it got me angry...because..I did not adhere to rule number one...

So long story short I'm going to use the Arca Plasmor as an example of the symptom of why I'm currently getting my butt whooped by all the Master Rank monsters in Monster Hunter World thanks to a sale on Iceborne and my forays in web slinging through New York in Spiderman while finding myself not really caring about Umbra forma or kit guns primaries or anything else related in Warframe in this moment of time...when I really used to...badly.

So as we all know Arca Plasmor got totally wiped out...I haven't really used it in a while due to enjoying the Kuva Hind/Karrack/Tonkor/and Vaykor Hek...These have been mostly my goto weapons of late...I have a Bramma, but that only comes out for infested arbitrations where its welcomed, solo missions and netflixing defense runs on Senchura. I knew that one was getting a nerf, so rule one was like yeah no liking this weapon or relying on it beyond lower solo content....Now this is effectively is wasting my time on earth, I mean I had to endure a Kuva Lich process for it and level five times so it can practically do nothing...which, brings me back to the Arca Plasmor...

Now understand I'm using multiple weapons ranging from what I listed above from the kuva variants to the Shedu and Basmu while I'm noting my Arca Plasmor just sitting there..and you see DE places in all these visuals on what the gun has..from catalysts, forma, rank, tomato, and what focus lens it has on it...

And it was at that moment that my mind went over the time wasted on such a weapon....

From creating the dojo, collecting the material, the hours it takes to make the fieldron, the crafting, the forma, the leveling, the bounties to get said lens, getting a exilus slot open with the adapter you have to craft..on and on..only for it to be doing nothing...let alone the riven I went after in sorties for it, actually getting it, maxing it out and changing out a slot for it while pulling the kuva handle many, many times to get the perfect role. Throw in the farming for vicious spread in the derelict as well' for what?...Only for it to be nerfed...Essentially taking my time and flushing it right down a drain...

Now I know this is the weapon cycle in Warframe...so I laughed when I felt the tinge of I AM OUT OF HERE...but, even knowing that' one has their limits...

So really this is just feedback on a part of the malaise that creeps into the player base and one should take in to account that it's a pretty brutal cycle..So I'm taking break from the game, but... NOT THE FORUMS...

There are soooo many ways to use frames and weapons together, up to the squad level, that we can’t possibly optimize them all.

Please don’t get stuck chasing your tale (or tail 😏) with:

1.  Not enough new content!

2.  Your new content made the old content I invested in “less than” top tier!

Enjoy each new toy and go have fun fetching.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73