The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cross Save / Cross Play / Cross Platform / Cross Progress / Account Transfer / Account Migration Megathread

(PSN)CagzJohn06

On 2020-09-21 at 3:15 AM, 32768 said:

I'm more concerned what is going to happen when console players are going to see og PC bugs, are they going to change their mind or not. And it would be interesting to see how this turns out when DE need 3 or 4 approvals from third-parties before releasing a patch.

Cross-save could still allow for different builds on different platforms. That would be the point of the extra effort. Also, even though it will require some work, it would mostly be balance stuff and figuring out which items should be accessible everywhere and which should not.

It is still more feasible than cross-play which 'would' require the same version across all platforms, which is currently not feasible due to some technical but mostly logistical/legal reasons.

DE needs to be able to release updates/hotfixes at a quick and responsive rate to continue the development of Warframe, and console owners only want -mostly- stable content on their platform. This statu quo is likely not gonna change anytime soon.

I know there's a small chance of this happening again, let alone converting an xbox save to PC. BUT... Hear me out... I spent a lot of money on this game. Purely to support the game. I know I didn't have to spend a single cent, but I did. A lot of cents, like 100,000 pennies worth. 

What I am getting at is, I supported DE, so why can't they support us gamers? I know it might be a contract thing, but with Xbox and the way they are going, I don't see it being a problem in the near future, or at least cross-play. (Which I would prefer)

I would even go as far as paying for an account transfer. I don't know, it seems like something that shouldn't be asked for. Which is why I brought up Xbox because they are going the "play anywhere" route, buy it once, play it where ever. On your PC or Xbox.

I don't really care about being ahead of the loop on updates, it's more of a visual and performance thing for me. If Xbox is truly going full "play anywhere" will warframe be a part of that too? Will I get to experience warframe the way it's meant to be? 

IF NOT.... Well, I'm afraid I'll no longer be playing warframe. I don't plan on upgrading to the next gen, and I'll be danged if I start over.

Spoiler

That would be a waste of money and time that I had to bust my behind for. Not just the thousands of hours I put into warframe, but the thousands of hours I dragged my skinny butt to work to put money into this game.

Let me rephrase this post, since I did a horrible job at doing so.

I know DE can't transfer play data, old news, I know they did it before. The bigger corporates got their booger hooks in DE's pockets, and they don't plan on letting up.

My main thing is, why aren't they fighting for it? If they are, correct me if I am wrong, but I haven't seen or heard much about it. Like I said in my previous reply, I don't stay up-to date as most of y'all. If they do mention it, I don't feel like they are making much of a stand for it. Or at least treat it very seriously, because at the end of the day, they still have their player base, and they are still making money. 

Another thing I mentioned is the "play anywhere" titles. I know Xbox is trying to monopolize on PC and console gaming, which I mean, it's a cool concept, but I feel as if they are going to be the new Wal-Mart in the gaming industry. With that being said though, will DE try and become one of those titles? Or will they just stick to what they are doing now? All it would require is the game to launch on the Xbox app, or be connected to the xbox servers in someway, and register that it is being play on a PC rather than a console, thus unlocking the "full potential" of the game while being able to have full access of your original account.

The only problem I se with that, is the fact that some PC players won't be up-to date if they play through the Xbox App/Servers. It'll technically be "crossplay" but it won't be at the same time. Purely because There are other PC game engines like steam. So players on steam won't be able to play with other PC users on Xbox, which isn't a huge deal, but I can see some issues rising from that, ones that I can't really put into words, but I feel like there might be conflict. Or DE just not feeling it would be fair to PS4/5 players that xbox is getting a "special" treatment of sorts. 

So, my underling question; do you think DE will try and become a play anywhere title? 

1 hour ago, (XB1)FunkyZamsquamch said:

I know there's a small chance of this happening again, let alone converting an xbox save to PC. BUT... Hear me out... I spent a lot of money on this game. Purely to support the game. I know I didn't have to spend a single cent, but I did. A lot of cents, like 100,000 pennies worth. 

What I am getting at is, I supported DE, so why can't they support us gamers? I know it might be a contract thing, but with Xbox and the way they are going, I don't see it being a problem in the near future, or at least cross-play. (Which I would prefer)

I would even go as far as paying for an account transfer. I don't know, it seems like something that shouldn't be asked for. Which is why I brought up Xbox because they are going the "play anywhere" route, buy it once, play it where ever. On your PC or Xbox.

I don't really care about being ahead of the loop on updates, it's more of a visual and performance thing for me. If Xbox is truly going full "play anywhere" will warframe be a part of that too? Will I get to experience warframe the way it's meant to be? 

IF NOT.... Well, I'm afraid I'll no longer be playing warframe. I don't plan on upgrading to the next gen, and I'll be danged if I start over.

Reveal hidden contents

That would be a waste of money and time that I had to bust my behind for. Not just the thousands of hours I put into warframe, but the thousands of hours I dragged my skinny butt to work to put money into this game.

First off, you know how contracts work right? Ok that's why DE can't just decide unilaterally to give us what we want.

Secondly..... Didn't microsoft announce that they plan to keep the Xbox One S in-market as a low-end, entry-level product for the next generation of hardware not too long ago? Why are you talking about starting over if you aren't upgrading to the next gen if they're announcing plans to have the hardware remain supported?

I'm so confused right now.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

First off, you know how contracts work right? Ok that's why DE can't just decide unilaterally to give us what we want.

Secondly..... Didn't microsoft announce that they plan to keep the Xbox One S in-market as a low-end, entry-level product for the next generation of hardware not too long ago? Why are you talking about starting over if you aren't upgrading to the next gen if they're announcing plans to have the hardware remain supported?

I'm so confused right now.

read the comment above, I did a bad job at explaining originally. I am now on PC, not Xbox.

DE doesn't care where you play, they only care if you play. The console platforms, however, do care where you play and aren't inclined to make it easy for players to leave their platform. There is also no way for you know how hard DE is fighting for transferring accounts. Those conversations are strictly between DE and the console platforms. And it's not in DE's best interest to piss off those platforms by talking out of turn. In terms of "play anywhere," that would require consoles and PCs being on the same update schedule and I just don't see that happening. Nor do I see DE segmenting the PC playerbase.

2 hours ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

has this ever actually been substantiated? Does anyone actually have the contract text? As time passes I find this reasoning to be less and less believable when there are other (F2P) games that are crossplatform, like Paladins or Fortnite.

I remember distinctly that DE Steve said in a devstream they were going to be investigating it.

Regardless, crossplatform progression and/or matchmaking would be ideal and I'm all for it.

hace 1 hora, Gwyndolin-chan dijo:

has this ever actually been substantiated? Does anyone actually have the contract text? As time passes I find this reasoning to be less and less believable when there are other (F2P) games that are crossplatform, like Paladins or Fortnite.

I remember distinctly that DE Steve said in a devstream they were going to be investigating it.

Regardless, crossplatform progression and/or matchmaking would be ideal and I'm all for it.

Was said A LOT of times by A LOT of members of DE ... if you want a copy of the contract no , nobody is gonna give it to you pal . And if you dont find "believable" that sony would not like to allow to player to leave their platform ... sorry to tell you but you seems to not be so smart .

1 hour ago, Gwyndolin-chan said:

Yes DE said they'd like for it to happen. I've said that I'd like to win the lottery.

Wanting something to happen and being able to cause it to happen are two completely different things. 

6 hours ago, (XB1)FunkyZamsquamch said:

Let me rephrase this post, since I did a horrible job at doing so.

I know DE can't transfer play data, old news, I know they did it before. The bigger corporates got their booger hooks in DE's pockets, and they don't plan on letting up.

1. My main thing is, why aren't they fighting for it? If they are, correct me if I am wrong, but I haven't seen or heard much about it. Like I said in my previous reply, I don't stay up-to date as most of y'all. If they do mention it, I don't feel like they are making much of a stand for it. Or at least treat it very seriously, because at the end of the day, they still have their player base, and they are still making money. 

2. Another thing I mentioned is the "play anywhere" titles. I know Xbox is trying to monopolize on PC and console gaming, which I mean, it's a cool concept, but I feel as if they are going to be the new Wal-Mart in the gaming industry. With that being said though, will DE try and become one of those titles? Or will they just stick to what they are doing now? All it would require is the game to launch on the Xbox app, or be connected to the xbox servers in someway, and register that it is being play on a PC rather than a console, thus unlocking the "full potential" of the game while being able to have full access of your original account.

3. The only problem I se with that, is the fact that some PC players won't be up-to date if they play through the Xbox App/Servers. It'll technically be "crossplay" but it won't be at the same time. Purely because There are other PC game engines like steam. So players on steam won't be able to play with other PC users on Xbox, which isn't a huge deal, but I can see some issues rising from that, ones that I can't really put into words, but I feel like there might be conflict. Or DE just not feeling it would be fair to PS4/5 players that xbox is getting a "special" treatment of sorts. 

4. So, my underling question; do you think DE will try and become a play anywhere title? 

1. They "are". DE has stated time and time again that they would like it to be a thing, as for them it would be a win, since they would keep the players from leaving like you are claiming to do right now, but as stated a few times here, they cant do anything until ALL consoles agree to it, they cant just cross-platform Xbox and PC and be done whit it, by the words of several DE team forum mods, this seem to be a "if we dont all agree, it aint happening" business, since they always state that the 3 consoles most agree to it.

2. Its not about trying, its about not being able to. As stated above, they cannot do anything special to one of the consoles, so even if Microsoft has the "play everywhere" deal going for them, SONY and Nintendo will crack the whip on DE and stop them from doing anything exclusive for Xbox, specially something of this scale, as this would open PC players to the Xbox servers, meaning that in the late game it could give more players to Xbox, specially because of how Tennogens and the economy works on consoles. I dont see this happening at all, so dont get too hopeful.

3. It isnt the only issue, as stated above Tennogen and the overall economy is COMPLETELY different from PC to Consoles, people would rather be able to buy Tennogen whit trade plat while playing on a high end Computer whit their other PC and Xbox friends instead of having to pay irl money on steam for each piece, specially wen many dont really care about update schedules, this would most likely give Xbox a whole lot of players, since it would give people whit PC a way to play whit Xbox players whiteout owning one but not vice-versa, its a exclusive Pc to Xbox crossplay, and neither SONY or Nintendo would allow that, its not about DE having issues whit Xbox getting special treatment, is that they legally CANNOT give Xbox special treatment or else SONY and Nintendo will fall on them like hungry dogs.

4. After all the things stated above, no. It wont happen unless all consoles are fine whit it, which would be the same as me winning the lottery, either get yourself the next gen of consoles or start from 0 on PC, because I 100% would not bet on cross-play/cross-save becoming a thing anytime soon or even a thing at all.

If being hopeful, cross save will come out with the new generation consoles.

Being realistic, Cross save might never happen, or wont happen anytime soon due to Covid restricting access to DE professional tools at their studio.

Cross save would mean, they either stall PC updates to release them simultaneously with Xbox, Switch and PS, or they increase their labor to release updates on consoles at the same time as PC. IT would also mean more bugs. At this point, Console tenno are getting updates with hotfixes that fix some issues that PC players experienced first.

Conclusion: Cross Save might be in the talks, but as far as a concrete thing? DE does not have it, and probably wont until the Covid restrictions of work from home are lifted.

When will cross save happen?  At some point between "a year or two from now" and "never."  The last time I remember the devs mentioning it on a stream they said something to the effect of "We'd like to, we're looking into it.  But we're not working on it right now, and there's more than just technical reasons why it would be hard to do."  As in, their agreements with the consoles (and probably to the point, the console Online Stores) might throw a massive monkey wrench in any attempt to do it.

Basically, expect it when it goes live.  Not before then.

Wen ? 

Hum... sometime between "not soon" and "never".

Why ?

DE has a severe restriction wen it comes to Console players, DE cannot show bias to either Console and Consoles will want their players to stay where they are, while they also most likely have VERY specific constraints wen it comes to the Online Shops, as its kinda obvious that SONY only gets a % of the money players use on the PS Store and not a % from the overall monthly earning DE makes from every Console platform, so... yea.

What could happen instead ?

At best DE could be able to create a path from PC to any console, as doing this would only be a win for all consoles and whit PC being the only platform they can freely do whatever they want whit it would be possible if all Consoles agreed to permanent account transfers from PC to them.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Honestly, dont get your hopes up.

It would require all Platforms to be in agreement, which is quite a hard thing to do, and it would also require DE to both PC and the Consoles in the same exact versions, which would most likely require them to delay a lot of stuff, as Hotfixes and Certs all work differently between platforms.

It would be a long reach to see that work out.

It would basically require borderline browbeating of the 3 console companies into complying with it, which would be difficult since Warframe does bring in revenue for the 3 platforms and DE would have to lose the safety net of "PC updates first, consoles get it later with fixes" for the sake of fairness/practicality.

Personally I don't see it anytime soon, but some part of me would love to move my Switch account over to PC, too much progress, I went from MR9 to 20 since I ported over and I don't see myself doing that again on PC.

Archived