Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What gripes do you have with current Open World?

Zahnny

28 minutes ago, Fascistsonfire said:

The fact I can only play with 3 players at once. I wish it felt more like an MMORPG in those cases. Maybe a party of six, but that would be tough to balance.

or to program and optimizing it like cetus when is full crashes pcs now imagine that amount of players using warframes abilities i thinkmy warframe would turn the red light of death instantly

1 hour ago, Fascistsonfire said:

The fact I can only play with 3 players at once. I wish it felt more like an MMORPG in those cases. Maybe a party of six, but that would be tough to balance.

Raids used to be 8 people missions when we had them.

But in a open world, I could see host migration spam if you join a public so..so much

Gripes about the open worlds? Oh boy, where to start....

Plains of Eidolon:

• Thumpers won't leave you alone. If you manage to spawn one and you don't want to fight it, too bad: that pest is going to follow you all over the map and make you acknowledge it's existence. They need to have an activity radius from their spawn point that they will not go beyond.
  • Thumpers are a pain to kill. If the legs didn't have such a small hitbox it wouldn't be so bad, but trying to get to a 'back' leg is annoying as hell when the d*mn thing keeps turning to face me. They're also bullet sponges for absolutely no reason.
  • Mergoo are all but impossible to see. I hate trying to farm those little twits.
  • Mergoo are not free-roaming the way Kuaka and Condrocs are.
  • whatever change they made to amps, damage, and/or vomvalysts.... I dont know what it is, but I used to be able to two-shot a Vom with my Shwaak amp: once for body, once for ethereal form. Now it takes several shots just to get it to ethereal. It makes dealing with them annoying when it used to be much, much easier.
  • bombards, mortars, and turrets constantly blasting me out of my archwing. I get why, and it's not hard or costly in any way to just hop back into it and keep going, but it's annoying regardless.

• This isn't a gripe, but actually an example of them addressing a gripe and fixing it:
    • they made a change some time back where the 'find the three caches' bounty phase can no longer happen underground, and as the timer ticks down the mini-map closes in around the caches, making them easier to find. This was a much-welcomed change because the caches are often difficult to locate until you're right on top of them, it is so easy to get lost in some of those caves, and having a timer ticking down didn't help matters.

Orb Vallis:

• no free-roaming animals. the only way to get tags or do the 'perfect captures' nightwave act is to actually initiate a hunt. It's annoying because some of the animals pop up right in front of you or can see you from miles away, making perfect captures very, very difficult. PoE has free-roaming animals that I can see and snipe from range, making perfect captures much less tedious.
  • Toroid farming is a total and complete slog. Toroids need to be more frequent drops and they need to not be tied to specific areas of the map.
  • Vox standing only being increased by turning in those pain-in-the-as$-to-farm Toroids. This could be fixed by simply granting Vox standing for killing Exploiter.
  • no 'night' cycle where the corpus go to bed. With PoE I could at least go out at night and not have to deal with random grineer patrols screwing with me when I'm trying to fish, mine or hunt.
  • Ventkid standing is only attainable by riding the hoverboard that has known glitch issues. I dont bother getting on that board unless I have nothing else to do, and have no worry about glitching or crashing (and thus losing loot), because it fails so often. There should be occasional bounties, or bounty phases, that have you do things for the ventkids and get standing for them that way. Alternatively, remove mastery from the k-drives so that Ventkid standing can be 100% optional.

Both open world areas:

• Mining nodes sometimes spawn inside the map geometry, such that you can see the icon on the mini-map, can hear them when the mining laser is out, but can't actually see the vein to mine it. Very minor gripe, but a gripe it is.
  • Rewards are often weak. 1500 credits for a tier 5 bounty phase? Really? 5 Iriadite or thermal sludge, or maybe a bit of endo? I am beyond ready for the rewards rework they've been talking about. Get rid of the trash rewards and give us things that are actually rewarding.
  • Rewards are too heavily tied to RNG. I've been playing Plains of Eidolon since it released and only 2 weeks ago got an Augur Secrets. I can't count how many bounties of that tier I have run and never had that mod drop, until now. It's ridiculous. Eidolon lenses and Breath have similarly poor drop rates. I can't get a Furax Wraith right gauntlet to drop at all, but boy howdy do I have plenty of blueprints and left gauntlets. Getting the correct debt bonds I needed was similarly difficult, but at least I could go buy them from Ticker.
    • Bounties need to have two distinct rewards: a random pool from which you get something after completing each phase, and a guaranteed known reward you get when you finish the whole bounty.

That's off the top of my head: I'm sure there are more if I'd sit for a while and think about it.

15 hours ago, Hypernaut1 said:

I think the open worlds have so much potential. I can only hope DE goes back to them all and adds activities.

There are so many interesting locations that we never really have to visit

I agree. Just fill it with all kinds of activities. Add a few every month. Random super tough boss, a group Of enemies on patrol That spot you and have ai  that makes it fun, Puzzles, special fish or mining challenges.... etc. 

id think they would be interested in the creative opportunities the open worlds would allow. 

2 hours ago, Sentinel-14 said:

• Toroid farming is a total and complete slog. Toroids need to be more frequent drops and they need to not be tied to specific areas of the map.

I think the toroid drop rate is fine because when you have a dedicated toroid farming party, you'll be swimming in toroids for say, 40-60 minutes of toroid farming.

PoE, OV and the upcoming Heart of Deimos map are marketed(?) and/or perceived as "open world" -- and that's no surprise, it was probably the single most buzzed term in gaming of the 2010s -- but they do not fit the mold of an open world game.

Warframe's progression is in the collection of items. Open world games hold their progression partially in the collection of items, but also significantly in the discovery of new locations. Jog to the new place, count it as discovered, pick up a quest or three from it, and unlock the ability to fast-travel to it again if you need to. That's an open-world game. Warframe's "Free Roam" areas aren't that. You start from the same hub point every time, we don't fast-travel to already-visited places (we're fast enough as is), and there is no progression of the game directly tied to reaching parts of the map. Really they're just bigger tilesets that spawn new situations each playthrough. Also, we are not persistent in the space. We load in, do a mission or two, then get out. Compare this to open world games like Skyrim or Breath of the Wild, where that one giant space is the only space you get to be in, aside from limited closed-in dungeons.

Warframe's current "open world" is not actually "open world" as the industry defines it. Any kind of comparison without this in mind is kinda moot point.

I recently was able to achieve Shadow standing for vox solaris. I can honestly say i hate fortuna for multiple reasons.

1. The requirements to advance through vox are brutal by far compared to the quills on the plains. The fact i need to beat the orb mother 3x to give that little hypocrite little duck toroids was insane. Onkko never asked for brilliant shards to rank up. I prepared as much as possible to contribute to the orb mother battle but i still appologised to the people carrying me i felt so bad.

2. Vallis is EMPTY compared to the plains. I fully expect to see a frozen tumble weed crossing my path at any moment. 

3. The bounties are boring. 

Im still working on my builds to help in orb mother fights because it is part of my feeling of accomplishment in the game but outside that the place is dead to me. Id rather go chill and fish or assault a high ranking base on the plains just for fun than go back to vallis. 

Super empty open world,boring bounties filled with repeatitive missions,not much interactivity with the world and its characters,no side quests from the fortuna guys,no reason to farm cept crafting S#&$ that is strictly obtainable from fortuna like poe which means only amps and kitguns are the primary reasons most people will grind fortuna and like poe enemies can appear everywhere with no relevancy to them

Like can we get at least some zones where the faction in the open world governs on and spaces not being hold by the faction? its kinda dumb that they can drop anywhere on the map regardless of where you are,they have no reason to loiter around in some empty area lol.

And lastly fortuna is a bit too much of a cetus copy systemathically,shouldve just made it its own thing and make it more unique,The only unique thing fortuna has that cetus dont is the debts but the debts literally exist for nothing but to squeeze your credits and resources away.

First its not realy open world  its more like a big tank filled whit NOTHING Most of WF problems magnifies on  the plains and vallis wich are  there is npthing to do whit them  onec u  got most of the stuff from there nothing changes and only falls even more flat  knowing  DE only does the  4-5 month updates now.

The materials are useless anywhere else, no new items added to bunties.

The  standing costs are a joke. More rare material that is a pain to farm like the little floating things in the plain wich u will need  alot.

GHOULS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but no ghoul saw......

I hate that i cant pick the instance i  get back to why is that i get into a less pupulated area and when i get back i get loaded into 200 tenno ghosts.

It could  have been used for raid like events for 8 or more ppl    and not like Scarlet Lielink Spear. 4 ppl doing something on the  west  part of the map and 4  others defend something on the other ends  or something  its a huge miss.

Fishing  is a pain  in the  ass more so on the plains than vallis but even in vallis at times  when i need rare fish for nw and  get  interupted  every  half a min.

Having to figure out where i am getting shot at/screamed at at times cuz i dont have  supermanlike vision like the Greener i.

Vay Hek screaming into my ears MY GHOULSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

I  will think  if i left anything out for  the time being.

6 hours ago, Sentinel-14 said:

they made a change some time back where the 'find the three caches' bounty phase can no longer happen underground, and as the timer ticks down the mini-map closes in around the caches, making them easier to find. This was a much-welcomed change because the caches are often difficult to locate until you're right on top of them, it is so easy to get lost in some of those caves, and having a timer ticking down didn't help matters.

They removed them from caves? I don't remember that. But I also don't remember recently getting one in a cave - i'm too done with bounties generally.

Caches are trivial,  literally done in a minute or less when you've done it a couple times and know where to start looking, but even before that, all you need is to find one.
Because they're just triangulated across the area.
Find one cache, point yourself along the map region so you're segmenting the circle (as opposed to directly cutting across the diameter) and you're going to end up roughly where the next is. Same again to the corner you haven't gone to yet, there's your third. Pattern recognition!

6 hours ago, Sentinel-14 said:
  • Vox standing only being increased by turning in those pain-in-the-as$-to-farm Toroids. This could be fixed by simply granting Vox standing for killing Exploiter.

The standing, all by itself? You get the best Toroids as a guaranteed drop from every Orb kill, so effectively you are getting standing. Even better than direct standing gain, because you can benefit from resource boosters and Smeeta charm.

That aside, my personal biggest gripe with open-worlds is the Liberate the Camp objective. Absolutely awful. Sure is 'nice' to lose bonus (or even outright fail if you're unlucky enough) just because some idiot roller-balls decided to go wandering the Plains away from the fight area, but still count against you.

As a solo player, it was almost a complete progression-stopper in my Steel Path, the increase in time-to-kill combined with the dodgy spawning and poor design made it practically impossible.

I only got one thing bugging me with the open worlds, that I can't solo exploiter very nicely. The second part of that fight, outdoors, when I try to throw canisters, I must aim below where I would if the trajectory was even somewhat realistic. Why, because if I aim higher, the canister will fly like in the olympics, way too far and quick for me to shoot it. Seems like a bug not a feature.

That and I tried sniping all coolant raknoid adds with good enemy radar. Worked like a dream until the orb pounded earth and had to start halfway over again. And again. And again. There was a little time to make and throw canisters and that's fine, but I'm not really comfortable with how unforgiving the fight is if you screw it even a bit. Profit-taker is much more cozy a fight once you got a good weapons setup and Primed Sure Footed. I don't think I'll return to exploiter alone, since it's not the kind of fight I enjoy due to beforementioned things.

Not enough dynamic/emergent content at a zippy pace. The whole idea of an open world is that it's... well, open. That you can go around and do stuff. But without "priming" it using a very artificial bounty system, nothing like that happens.

My personal wishlist for stuff to change, so I can spend more time in these places - which are pretty and a good change from the corridors:

• Dynamic bounties: Stumble over something, like Corpus assembling an orbital comm dish, Grineer squad with a prisoner... deal with it and then start a bounty chain! That way, it's fun to go around and pick fights.
  • Dynamic locations: Not expecting a living world that changes all the time, but it'd be nice to have some locations on a distinct cycle (without it being a big system like Eidolons), e.g. have Profit-Taker (unless you do the bounty) leave the Enrichment Labs every now and then... and unlock a special bounty for these times. The ghouls could be like that but on a weekly cycle. Have stuff like that on an hourly, a daily and a weekly cycle and suddenly, the world is a lot more alive (without that much more content required).
  • Procedural stuff: That's Warframe's strength, procedural content. Have more of that: more bounties, maybe even procedural changes to the caves (explained by Grineer mining, Coolant Tower shifts etc). At least Heart of Deimos seems to be going that route.

In short, going into an open world should hit the same key notes a non-open world session hits: a steady stream of semi-randomised fun content.

They are just DEad decorations. So under-designed and uncreative in gameplay part. No reason to explore anything, though there are landmarks and structures alluding to something but they are not used for anything. Bounties are poorly designed - extremely dull with waitwalls to make you fall asleep, very little emergent gameplay or choices. So whats even the point of making a very large map? Fortuna/Orbvalis is particularly bad and feels so unfinished with most mechanics just recycled from PoE. No one liked mining or bounties chores like cache-searching but they enforced it again, why?  K-drives are fun but so underdeveloped and pointless since you just use Archwing to get around fast making the size of the map even more pointless. PoE at least has Eidolons hunting.

Openworlds are pretty hard to do well and oftentimes it's a just a gimmick, a selling point that gives you illusion of freedom and promise immersion but turns out to be dull and repetative. Few games even do openworlds right, its a huge amount of work and needs so many systems in place.

On 2020-08-19 at 9:54 AM, Fascistsonfire said:

There should be 8 man straight up war missions in WF. Hopefully they do something like that for The New War, but im not going to hold my breath. 

1 hour ago, Monolake said:

They are just DEad decorations. So under-designed and uncreative in gameplay part. No reason to explore anything, though there are landmarks and structures alluding to something but they are not used for anything. Bounties are poorly designed - extremely dull with waitwalls to make you fall asleep, very little emergent gameplay or choices. So whats even the point of making a very large map? Fortuna/Orbvalis is particularly bad and feels so unfinished with most mechanics just recycled from PoE. No one liked mining or bounties chores like cache-searching but they enforced it again, why?  K-drives are fun but so underdeveloped and pointless since you just use Archwing to get around fast making the size of the map even more pointless. PoE at least has Eidolons hunting.

Openworlds are pretty hard to do well and oftentimes it's a just a gimmick, a selling point that gives you illusion of freedom and promise immersion but turns out to be dull and repetative. Few games even do openworlds right, its a huge amount of work and needs so many systems in place.

Its true that Openworlds are hard to keep engaging, but all i ask if for more high end bust work to happen. IMO, it was fun to roam the plains, have a random mission pop up and feel like im actually doing work in an "active" environment. 

The biggest problem with this is that people tend to hate RNG missions. I love it though, One of my favorite ways to play ARMA is to have my spec Op team dropped on a map and just respond to random conflicts. A rescue mission here, an exterminate mission there, an assasinate, cache hunt,etc. 

Some people may yell at me for this, but I honestly think if they made the open world zones more like Destiny, it would reinvigorate the game. 

The way they've made the open zones so far feel like they need to be more like Destiny, with more players.  As things are now, I just feel like I'm queuing into an instance that just doesn't have a roof on top of it.  Now, I know, I know, the game balance and infrastructure isn't designed for that, but I just honestly think something like that would really bring some interest to this game.

In order to feel like the usual open world MMOs, our "open world instances" should be hosted in dedicated servers maintained by DE and the system reworked. This way players can come and go as they please without any host migration happening. It does need a full system and game mechanics rework so it won't happen.

As many here I really dislike the chores that are fishing, mining and how predictably formulaic these spaces turned out. Orb Vallis didn't need to be a Corpus skinned Plains Of Eidolon. I appreciate the attempt of delivering a questtype of structure with the heists - but it also highlights how weak the story telling in warframe as a whole is. Theres way too many characters and none get enough time to be explored, before they get tossed out again for yet another cast of characters. Everything feels really pointless in the Open Worlds.

Archived