Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Not that excited

DrakeWurrum

So, let me preface this with... I'm not trying to be a hater. Been in Warframe since 2013 - I remember seeing the Founders pack for sale with Excal Prime, but could never afford it when it was up. I've seen the ups and downs. I've stopped playing and came back. I'm not the type of guy to announce I will rage quit over something I don't like, and I have no plans to. The game is still fun to play for me, despite having no friends to share my fun with. I may go weeks, months sometimes, without playing, but only if other games have drawn my interest instead. I definitely will keep playing for a long while to come and look forward to more cinematic story quests! I buy plenty of Plat and Tennogen, if only because I like to support the devs and show my love for the game with my wallet.

But the Tennocon gameplay reveal... didn't really excite me. It left me curious, but confused, and also concerned. It does look different from the usual gameplay, but I'm not really hyped for it.

First reason why: this really isn't anything new. We learned that, for the New War, the Sentients would land on Cetus or the Plains of Eidolon back in Tennocon 2019. It's a better cutscene, yes. You can see how DE has gotten better at cutscenes by comparing. (Fantastic work DE, keep it up!) It shows some actual gameplay, too, so that's neat! But, basically, we learned nothing. Except that we might truly team up with Grineer and Corpus in this war.

Which... brings me to the second reason: I don't want to play as a random Grineer soldier or Corpus tech. I don't even really want to play as Teshin, though I love seeing him actually go all out and show how he has survived as the last Dax. I want to play my character. My Tenno. My Warframe.

The core gameplay of Warframe, where all of our time investment goes into, is our Warframe loadout. The way we mod our frame, our guns, our heavy weapons and necramech, even how we build up our Focus for the Tenno... that's the result of spending time playing the game and getting good at it. My character is one I've also invested in emotionally. He's not just a nameless protagonist. He's *me*. So when I'm shown gameplay that says "Guess what, instead of playing your Tenno, you'll play as Kahl-175!"

That doesn't excite me. Nice character! I like seeing the world-building and the lore behind the factions expanded on! Makes the world feel real. But they're not my Tenno. My Tenno is a big part of what makes Warframe more fun than other FPS games or looters.

I'm holding out hope that these characters will be our Railjack crewmates, but that would mean they need to be fleshed out a lot more.

The third reason is probably the least important, but I feel it's something to consider: This Tennocon just felt long an extra-long overhyped devstream. What was shown could have happened in other devtreams and I would probably have not noticed a difference. I know the pandemic forced it to go all digital, but last year I did not feel the same way. Last year, with Deimos being released on the same day it was revealed... that Tennocon was exciting and memorable. I was excited for the new content and hyped to dive right in. This Tennocon left me with a feeling of "Wait, that's it?"
I just think with Tennocon 2020 DE raised the bar on themselves really really high and then failed to meet that bar this year.

(For that matter - why is cross save/play only JUST NOW officially announced as in development, when the devs have told us for years that they were "working on it" whenever people asked? It's not a radical idea that other games haven't done - Warframe is late to this party!)

Anyways, /rant. I know the devs work hard, and I appreciate what they've been doing, I just... really want the devs to hear that I'm not interested in *not* playing my character.

2 minutes ago, (XBOX)Architect Prime said:

You're worried about nothing. It's just a few missions to help you understand what it's like to not be a god in the warframe universe. Grineer gameplay isn't taking over. You're having a knee-jerk reaction. ~with respect

I really really hope so.

But it seems weird, to me, that they would design new UI elements for Kahl, Veso, and Teshin, and their (admittedly basic) ability kits for a one-off thing.

Just now, DrakeWurrum said:

I really really hope so.

But it seems weird, to me, that they would design new UI elements for Kahl, Veso, and Teshin, and their (admittedly basic) ability kits for a one-off thing.

A - This quest could be quite large.

B - There might be other (isolated) situations in the future in which we play as other factions. 

C - They make a multiplayer where you play as these characters. 

I was in love with the game play the moment I saw it, to me it really hits the war will be effecting "everyone" and we will get to see first hand how so. I always felt that scarlet spear was disjointed when it game to how the grineer were handled they solely focused on the Tenno not seeing the big picture. 

Actually im glad they showing World War from other perspectives and not just from God-alike-Tenno (scuum), its adding new and differrent view to game..

Also hoping for use Kahl and Veso characters in other part of game like Invasions

4 minutes ago, Myscho said:

Actually im glad they showing World War from other perspectives and not just from God-alike-Tenno (scuum), its adding new and differrent view to game..

Also hoping for use Kahl and Veso characters in other part of game like Invasions

I do love that. It just doesn't sound fun to play as the other characters. Maybe we get to view their memories through starchild powers somehow... or maybe it's more random visions from NatahLotus. It might be why she doesn't show up in the gameplay trailer... because she is showing us what the war is doing, and trying to guide us to forging alliances in her own way.

15 минут назад, (XBOX)Architect Prime сказал:

They make a multiplayer where you play as these characters.

i hope they won't spend time on conclave 2.0 which probably will be dead like it is now
unless they will lock new rewards behind this ,like ambassador locked behind rj

19 minutes ago, DrakeWurrum said:

Tons of games have done it tho. For example MMOs have quests where you control something (character, vehicle etc) for the duration of one quest that takes a few minutes to do, yet those characters have unique UI elements, movesets etc.

36 minutes ago, DrakeWurrum said:

For that matter - why is cross save/play only JUST NOW officially announced as in development, when the devs have told us for years that they were "working on it" whenever people asked? It's not a radical idea that other games haven't done - Warframe is late to this party!

Because "we are working on it" doesn't only mean development, but also covers stuff getting the platforms to agree to it and getting the contracts finalized and signed. Even if they had been working on this for a long, long time they couldn't really show it to us without the consoles showing the green light for it.

I enjoyed the "reveals" personally 

I am thinking that these will be generic RNG name characters (like our lich/sisters) that will be useable in very specific missions.

Similar to how the nechramechs work in orphix , maybe we will use them during invasions against the sentients? Like we controlled the maw enhancing some of their capabilities due to the transference.

And once the main threat is destroyed / obstacle removed we switch to regular gameplay.

Whether that translates into getting a crew member is also something to consider.

I really really hope it's not a one off thing.

44 minutes ago, DrakeWurrum said:

Which... brings me to the second reason: I don't want to play as a random Grineer soldier or Corpus tech. I don't even really want to play as Teshin, though I love seeing him actually go all out and show how he has survived as the last Dax. I want to play my character. My Tenno. My Warframe.

The core gameplay of Warframe, where all of our time investment goes into, is our Warframe loadout. The way we mod our frame, our guns, our heavy weapons and necramech, even how we build up our Focus for the Tenno... that's the result of spending time playing the game and getting good at it. My character is one I've also invested in emotionally. He's not just a nameless protagonist. He's *me*. So when I'm shown gameplay that says "Guess what, instead of playing your Tenno, you'll play as Kahl-175!"

That doesn't excite me. Nice character! I like seeing the world-building and the lore behind the factions expanded on! Makes the world feel real. But they're not my Tenno. My Tenno is a big part of what makes Warframe more fun than other FPS games or looters.

I'm holding out hope that these characters will be our Railjack crewmates, but that would mean they need to be fleshed out a lot more.

Excalibur shows up at the end of the trailer. Pretty certain that you're not just stuck playing as a bunch of new characters. You're putting together a team

46 minutes ago, DrakeWurrum said:

(For that matter - why is cross save/play only JUST NOW officially announced as in development, when the devs have told us for years that they were "working on it" whenever people asked? It's not a radical idea that other games haven't done - Warframe is late to this party!)

The "working on it" comments in the past, were about working on new contracts. They weren't going to develop any software that Sony and Microsoft could just say "no" to. It's only now that they finally have a "yes" from both of them, that they're actually writing the software

Being 'myself' in the solo story is not nearly as important. This is not the first time you are stripped of your farmed power for the story.

The perceived 'bigness' of the coming update is not about how many meters of empty space you can run across. Consolidating the community into a singular pool is a pretty big thing. Upping story complexity out of the first person instead of just stored in lore texts is its own growth and a new way to experience the universe.

2 hours ago, DrakeWurrum said:

I really really hope so.

Why would they go to that trouble. Transference.

To each their own. Admittedly, I was prepared to see another month long grind given how DE has handled the New War so far (Scarlet Spear and Orphix Venom). I was pleased to hear Rebecca say The New War is a quest. During the reveal, I was pleasantly surprised and I adore that we get to play as a Grineer and Corpus. I've been wanting The New War to be an actual war, and one that involves multiple factions fighting against the Sentients. Seeing Alad V, Vay Hek, Kahl and Veso is great in my eyes. To top it off, I was happy Teshin is fighting in The New War when he was cast to the side in Scarlet Spear.

3 hours ago, DrakeWurrum said:

But the Tennocon gameplay reveal... didn't really excite me. It left me curious, but confused, and also concerned. It does look different from the usual gameplay, but I'm not really hyped for it.

They didn't show anything besides some scenes from their quest, no new systems, new endgame, anything. Even if it's the best their quest, people will just complete it in like an hour and forget. That's not what Warframe is about. So I think people who actually play warframe and want new gameplay content should be concerned.

Archived