Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Strategies for farming protea?

mega_lova_nia

Question

Is it just me, or are the drop rates for the time crystals that are dropped by the specters in granum void really decreased? if so, how do you farm protea nowadays? specters don't spawn that quickly, rescuing solaris is a hassle in a team, even killing them with a mesa is not fast enough. How do you do it?

Hi 👋 i farmed Protea (again) recently to have her fed to the Helminth. It takes me some 30-35 seconds to kill the 75 specters for the third part so i figured I'll share my Mesa build with you.

FCIPVp-XXMAEw7g4.jpg

FCIPYM4-WQAMPOJP.jpg

I replaced her defensive ability with Sevagoth's Gloom, but as long as you're fast enough you can make it work without that ability too. Good luck!

Besides all the builds tips, keep in mind that new spectres spawn almost immediately after you kill one. And most importantly where they spawn is very limited and bound to a certain distance away from player(s), that is, not too close but also not too far away.

Rush to the edge of the map right after spawn, where you have a clear view within ~50m, the spectres would keep spawning from 2~3 fixed locations close to the ground. As they could only spawn within the map where no obstacles are present, as a result you only need to cover 180 degrees of view or even less.

There was one time for me the spectres were spawning only from one exact spot with all the other spots being covered either by huge rocks or terrains. It only took me around 10~15 seconds to be dragged back out (reaching 75 kills solo)

Anyway if you are going after protea farm and you got mesa or any type of fast radial dmg guns such as acceltra, it's better to farm solo. Because having 4 players spreading and moving around the map would make the spectres spawn in a wide area randomly. If you are relying on guns, don't forget to craft some ammo pads.

Yea, I noticed that too, that the drop rate decreased heavily without seeing any notes at any patches/hotfixes about it.

The only way I managed going through that stuff (while farming the Sisters) was using Xoris, no matter the frame. A charge attack build for Xoris + the 3-charge for the increased radial blast is working wonders when popping those floating fortuna-prisoners. Other than that, spectres are 1-shots when timed and bulked together perfectly.

38 minutes ago, mega_lova_nia said:

specters don't spawn that quickly, rescuing solaris is a hassle in a team, even killing them with a mesa is not fast enough. How do you do it?

I haven’t been farming Protea, but I have been maxing out the voids. Ditch Mesa, she is a terrible choice. Use the Xoris exclusively. That is all you need. Just throw and explode it on everything, when charged save a Solaris guy if you need to. 

• What I recommend: run solo, use your favourite frame, and only use Xoris. Your score caps out at 75 if you run solo.

Just focus on saving the 3 prisoners.   Personally I think spectres spawn the most around the prisoners...  so if you hang out around them and or wait for the spectres to swarm you it makes things even easier..    Usually I wait for a swarm at the first guy, nuke.  wait for a swarm at second guy and nuke.  Wait for a swarm at third guy and nuke.... then just keep hanging out at 3rd guy spot. 

As for the parts... man it seems so much worse than when protea first came out.  In my opinion....a full squad must up your chance of getting the good parts.   I help people sometimes just to show them a xoris is all you need and we do runs back to back to back until one of us get bored and I never see protea in the 3rd tier lol.  

I farmed protea and her weapons in the first day or two...  

---------------------------

On the other hand....  Granum Voids have some sweet decorations for your ship and spectres now drop spectre poop you need for Tenet melee weapons...  so is running it multiple times a bad thing... 

Mirage, max range and duration prism - shoot a few specters to help out but the prism really kills them all. You will have to cast it 2 (or maybe 3) times to get them all depending on spawns and your duration. I also recommend a spectre or on-call crew to help out too - mine has an acceltra but any long-range assault rifle type weapon should be good to go.

I would consistently kill 75 spectres within the time, usually between 30 and 40 seconds, solo.

did mesa got nerfed?

when i farmed protea not so long ago, mesa is the most convenient "farm" because not only you press less buttons and it demands less concentration, but she's also the fastest, so doing it over and over again doesn't really exhaust you and burn you out.

you're never required to aim nor think, just bullet jump and press 4 mid-air, when you land, everything on that direction should be dead. then bullet jump the opposite direction and keep doing that for exactly 60 seconds, no extra timer needed. you will get rank 3 in shortest time possible.
the only downside is you'll need a somewhat decent build for both her and peacemakers, shouldn't be a problem for any intermediate players.

i'm sure there are many other strategies to farm her, some requires more active playstyle, some cheeses absolutely does not. good news is you can pick n choose which one suits you best.

1 hour ago, mega_lova_nia said:

Perhaps, but most runs of mine is mostly because of time outs, not because of being overwhelmed. There's just so little time and the specters are spawning so slowly.

I guess that's one of the aspects that's been holding me back.

Yeah if you are playing with multiple people it can actually be harder, especially if they aren't killing as fast as you are. So not only do you have to kill extra Spectres, but the few that you might come across, will stagger themselves (so you kill 2, so 2 more appear...do you kill those 2... or do you look for 6 somewhere else... if you kill 2, then 2 more will re-spawn close by... but if you go searching, thats time you could be using to kill) 

If you are playing with just one other person, not a bad idea to go where they are and then start killing, unless all the Spectres start where you are too, in which case ideally the other player will come where you are. 

Or better yet, just go solo. Good luck in any case.

2 hours ago, mega_lova_nia said:

No, it's not that mesa isn't able to kill the specters

it's because of how they decreased the drop rate of the time prisms heavily, we often times ran out of time rather than being overwhelmed

Ahh, figured one of the two would be the case... Either people are too strong and find it boring because it's too easy, or people went in with sub-par builds and couldn't execute it properly

as i previously said, the method does demand a strong build. And when done correctly, no time prism are needed. 60 seconds is all we need. Hence overall will be a faster farm, because you never took single second longer in there.

2 hours ago, Soy77 said:

as i previously said, the method does demand a strong build. And when done correctly, no time prism are needed. 60 seconds is all we need. Hence overall will be a faster farm, because you never took single second longer in there

They said they Patched it so that it automatically ends once you reach the score needed for Rotation C.... So now it's okay to pick up the extra time and not have wait there once you already have the highest score...

23 hours ago, mega_lova_nia said:

even killing them with a mesa is not fast enough

I read this and I had to go check. I just ran the Nightmare Granum Void with Mesa, solo. Maxed out energy using Energizing Dash or pizza before entering the Void and just used the Regulators. 75 kills done with 15 seconds remaining, and that was after dying once cause I wasn't paying attention.

Mesa can still do it fine. I currently have the Regulators modded for Radiation damage, which should have been a negative. Corrosive should do the most damage.

I've not had any luck using the Xoris as others have suggested, but your mileage may vary. IIRC you have to use the throw/explode mechanism which I find clunky on PS4 without remapping buttons. Might be easier on PC.

Other options... Use Octavia's Mallet. Mod for Strength and Range. With a reasonable setup it wipes out the specters as they enter. You will need to move around a bit to pickup any time crystals - I also agree that the drop rate for these has decreased at some point, possibly when the Spectral Debris drops were added.

I also had some success using the Larkspur Archgun as the beam chains between enemies. Mod for corrosive and keep moving. The Cortege would probably work even better as it has a higher damage.

11 minutes ago, (PSN)AbBaNdOn_ said:

Using specific frames is bad training.

It's way too late for doing things the Correct way.... For all of us...

Also Cheese Strats are better for Farming because the real challenge is staying motivated while the RNG Bends you over... The last thing you want is the game mode bending you over aswell.

Archived