Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dev Workshop: Beam Weapons Revisited!

[DE]Rebecca

So basically, reduced the base damage of almost every Beam weapons, gave a Fire rate of 12 to EVERY Beam primary other than the Ignis (Wraith)? That's.... stupidly homogeneous. 

I'm glad they removed the Status/sec and gave some new stats/damage types to some weapons, but isn't it a bit much? The Amprex, for example, lost a lot of crit (yes, it got more damage in exchange, but still, it lost 18% base CC, which might hurt Riven users a lot) and... 14m range? 19 for Synapse? How will this ever be usefull on PoE?

With Amprex in one of my main builds... I can't say I'm happy at first look, yes it has an apparent damage buff... but that reduction in Crit chance is yuk.

And not supplying the original weapon Stats is silly, all this means little without a comparison... even if it is "apples and oranges"... I mean all this does is force me to google the Wiki page for each weapon to see what has changed... Like really?

5 hours ago, MechaTails said:

Synapse could switch to a "battery" system. Let's say it generates its own bio-electricity.

I was hoping the amprex could get the battery treatment, since it fires for less than 5 seconds with max mag right now...Gammacor I'm okay with not getting  a bettery for now, but It would be cool to have it.

8 minutes ago, Blade_Wolf_16 said:

So basically, reduced the base damage of almost every Beam weapons, gave a Fire rate of 12 to EVERY Beam primary other than the Ignis (Wraith)? That's.... stupidly homogeneous. 

I'm glad they removed the Status/sec and gave some new stats/damage types to some weapons, but isn't it a bit much? The Amprex, for example, lost a lot of crit (yes, it got more damage in exchange, but still, it lost 18% base CC, which might hurt Riven users a lot) and... 14m range? 19 for Synapse? How will this ever be usefull on PoE?

Regarding the fire rate.

Why would beam weapons fire anything but constant? Are we considering the possibility of pulse-style beam weapons or something? 

All beam weapons having the same fire rate makes sense to me, on paper. Maybe fire rate for beam weapons should just be removed altogether. Or does fire rate affect the speed at which it ramps up to max damage?

14 minutes ago, LuckyCharm said:

Gonna just say.. the reduction in crit chance for the amprex is a rather big nerf to it's fun Hunters munitions builds. Did it always have so short of a range? It feels like it's been dropped

Amprex is an ammo hog, and I only use it for short high crit bursts for crowd control. Without that CC it's kinda useless.The nerfs to range is way over the top. The flame weapons make sense, because you don't want a flame jet spouting 50 meters, but for weapons like amprex, and the magnetic weapons, they need that range to make up for their terrible ammo consumption. Even with the cuts to ammo cost, what's the point of a BEAM weapon if you need to be right next to an enemy to use it. Shotguns have better range than that (even though shotguns in this game are nothing like actual shotguns). I think 30-40 meters like an earlier post mentioned would be a great base. These are supposed to be crowed control and specialized weapons for dealing with special crowds of enemies. Otherwise, they can be outclassed by the right build using an elemental mod. 

3 minutes ago, Shaloman said:

Amprex is a ammo hog, and I only use it for short high crit bursts for crowd control. The nerfs to range is way over the top. The flame weapons make sense, because you don't want a flame jet spouting 50 meters, but for weapons like amprex, and the magnetic weapons, they need that range to make up for their terrible ammo consumption. Even with the cuts to ammo cost, what's the point of a BEAM weapon if you need to be right next to an enemy to use it. Shotguns have better range than that (even though shotguns in this game are nothing like actual shotguns). I think 30-40 meters like an earlier post mentioned would be a great base. These are supposed to be crowed control and specialized weapons for dealing with special crowds of enemies. Otherwise, they can be outclassed by the right build using an elemental mod. 

Note that the Amprex is actually going to have almost 1/4th the ammo consumption with the change. It's fire rate is dropping from 20/s to 12/s, and on top of that each shot will consume only half a unit of ammo.

Multi-beam weapons aren't going to suffer from the same status math problem that the detron and drakgoon suffered from, are they?  It's one thing to split the rated status amongst all the beams.  It's another thing entirely to then let the mods increase only the per-beam status chance.

5 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

can return them to their original status of hitscan weapons with pinpoint accurate, zero recoil death machines.

Good idea for a weapon, but i think there should be something to balance that:

• When the fire button is pressed and released, theres about 0.5 seconds of really heavy recoil or screen shake.
  • When the beam reaches about 150m, the beam "distills" continuously, becoming transparent, damage is reduced, and the beam increases in size, like a cone.
  • Some kind of alt-fire where the beam doesn't "distill", deals no damage, wont alert the enemy hit, and has no recoil, but if it continuously hits an enemy for some amount of seconds, something happens such as with the Glaxion, the enemy freezes solid, or Gammacor, it is scanned for the codex, or Ignis makes the enemy burst into flames, or Phage takes a set amount of the targets health, and restores that amount of health to the player.

On a different note: maybe the Quanta can function like a mining laser on plains (because the codex entry says its literally a weaponised mining laser.), but requires much more precision or you might cut the gem in half.

2 minutes ago, Khift said:

Note that the Amprex is actually going to have almost 1/4th the ammo consumption with the change. It's fire rate is dropping from 20/s to 12/s, and on top of that each shot will consume only half a unit of ammo.

So, use more fire rate mods.  Got it.

6 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

To help with ammo economy, Beam Weapons consume 0.5 ammo per trace - unless they are multi beam like the Quanta, Convectrix, Phage or Flamethrowers.

I'll be honest here, I don't understand this statement. Granted, I don't understand beam weapons much to begin with, but ammo per trace is a concept I definitely don't know. If anyone could explain for me, you would be amazing <3

23 minutes ago, LuckyCharm said:

Gonna just say.. the reduction in crit chance for the amprex is a rather big nerf to it's fun Hunters munitions builds. Did it always have so short of a range? It feels like it's been dropped

Do keep in mind that the proposed status changes will allow (hopefully) consistent viral/electric proccing so now you will CC, half health, and bleed enemies consistently as opposed to relying solely on Hunter's munitions to damage the enemies.

Sooo seems my ignus wrath just went from low lvl clean up and medallion hunting to worthlessness  just great whats next lowering thegammacors ammo pool to nonexist o wait it alrdy is 😑now im worried how many of my melee weapons are on the choping block on another note fix ember or scrap her current use nothing  oh nezhas 3 NEEDS recastable till then it is a hindrance to run in any 50+content 

Trying to be practical...

The Daikyu was supposed to be buffed. It was nerfed. I'd rather have the 1.75 charge time with the originally proposed Crit Chance. Why was this removed? Why did you nerf it while buffing literally every other bow? Nobody wants a status bow? Any "draw/charge" time is too inconvenient when you can simply spray Akstiletto Prime or literally shoot Quartakk once to get procs. No charging or spooling. Now add the fact that you weakened overall damage (because things like Cernos Prime, Rakta Cernos, Dread only need one physical damage mod, IE - Fanged Fusillade, to hit thousands of damage) and it still takes an eternity to charge and you're left with a useless junk-machine. 

I used the Daikyu for a long time and was so excited to finally see it get something in return for the charge time and the fact that it's the only bow which can't be held by a space ninja for more than a few seconds before having to re-draw. Then boom. All of the sudden it's horrible... again. I just don't understand... the damage/cc/cd/status do not make up for the fact that it's still twice the charge rate and can't be held drawn. 

Please fix this for the 1% that used the bow, and who knows, maybe that number will climb? Or, even better, make every single weapon have good enough stats to deal with the broken scaling. Because after 100+ weapons were "buffed" I've gathered that whatever makes the 170 people making the game happy, who cares whether the millions enjoy it. It would literally do nothing but make people want to play more if there just wasn't crap-tier weapons at all. Where things like Argonak had Soma P/Tenora crit chance or higher because, you know, it only shoots one bullet at a highlighted enemy opposed to spraying them. Things where beams/autos proc status and things that charge have crit chance to compensate for having to wait. Things like my rocket launcher or gigantic jet-powered sledgehammer that can fling enemies across the room not being quieter than a curved knife with a .22 on it (Sarpa). 

2 minutes ago, kingdomeTHEMADcthulhu said:

Sooo seems my ignus wrath just went from low lvl clean up and medallion hunting to worthlessness  just great whats next lowering thegammacors ammo pool to nonexist o wait it alrdy is 😑now im worried how many of my melee weapons are on the choping block on another note fix ember or scrap her current use nothing  oh nezhas 3 NEEDS recastable till then it is a hindrance to run in any 50+content 

The status changes should be highly beneficial for the Ignis Wraith (and beam weapons as a whole), and you got a crit boost to go with it. Unfortunately you did lose a chunk of range, but looking at these stats would suggest that overall this is a major improvement.

I am not overly concerned with the amprex's critical nerf because the base damage has been roughly tripled, and even with point strike that will put it to 80% critical chance, which I believe is reasonable compensation to the damage buff. What doesn't make me happy is the range reduction, making sinister reach even more of a necessity than it already was.

I am however looking forward to those glaxion buffs, assuming I'm right about that status chance.

2 hours ago, KarltheStabber said:

It literally does not fire a beam...

the game treats the phantera secondary as a beam weapon. that makes it a beam weapon, it not looking like a beam is irrelevant.

it was the same thign for the quartakk(or whatever that gun is called), it was a riffle, but the game treated it like a shotgun. so they changed it to work as a rifle instead.

hmm.. not liking the look of some of those, sounds like Embolist (or as I call it, the Fart Pistol, pinnacle of maturity I know). will still be pretty useless. glad the Cycron is getting reworked but that loss in crit chance for the Amprex.. that kinda stings. also, it would REALLY help to see the Current base stats next to the proposed ones: I might be a Warframe nerd but I don't know EVERY stat of EVERY weapon off by heart, can we at least have it say "increased/decreased to" in front of each stat?

i'll wait until the changes hit console before passing proper judgement, but this seems like a real mixed bag compared to the rather awesome sounding buffs all the other guns got.

Archived