The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee Changes: Phase 1

[DE]Rebecca

I'm curious if Shimmering Blight/Bleeding Willow quick attack is still a smooth swing & walk, while using spam combos it adds a pause with a horizontal swing, or Twirling Spire/No stance has a forward thrust in both the spam combo and quick attack.

The above is assuming it's not too early to talk stances, regardless, show me the polearms!

Thanks for the update.

If blocking is now automatic when facing an enemy is dealing damage to me in melee mode, does that mean I can no longer hold my ground and prevent a knockdown by blocking when an Eximus casts fire blast unless I happen to have line of sight? And how close do I have to be?

8 minutes ago, (PS4)robi191291 said:

Shigeru Miyamoto 

A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad.

But DE usually fixes stuff after release until they move on to the next bug thing, so that probably applies to games that usually get barely to no support after being released.

1. What about Titanias ult? How should weapon swap work there? Can you switch to your actual primary?

2. The aerial melee sounds like coptering again. I hope it does not

a) do coptering
   b) feel like Limbos rift switch (just falling)

45 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

BLOCKING

Blocking with a melee weapon is no longer keybound, it is automatic when facing enemies who are dealing damage to you in melee mode. Your Reticle determines all!

Just had a thought... how is this going to work with Guardian Derision...that taunts enemies to attack you when you block.

44 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

P.S. we're going live 45 minutes from now twitch.tv/warframe to read this with you all and demo it.. if you want to see your favourite frame/melee demo'd, reply here with details!

I want to know how far the decision process is in regard to scythes and melee3.0, last time we were left with it being undecided what will be done about their stances.

52 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

GROUND SLAMS

Aerial dominance is a key part of Warframe - you have full freedom to not only weave in and out of combat on the ground, but bullet jumping and aim gliding from above is one of a Warframe's most lethal advantages. Current ground slams instantly interrupt all momentum, direction, and cancel any aiming to slam you down right where you are. We are going to make Melee ground slams aimed, and as a result more controllable. You will be able to use your aerial advantage to aim, and then target the Ground Slam to more tactical end results.

OLD SYSTEM

S8d4euYH56wfPVKIwFLn7Q6hG5vT3o4sUE4aeSY1

NEW SYSTEM

14XiqUa2MbncI82kOpJdTtxqIWDZ678dsoWBLvKg

That is very neat.

53 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

CHANNELING
Channeling is now a toggle set to your alt-fire button when in melee mode.
Your 'F' button now exclusively swaps between Primary and Secondary weapons with a tap.
Your left mouse button is gun fire, always, instantly.
Your right mouse button is now aim, always, instantly.

Ok. But this gives me one question: What will happen to exalted weapon, or warframe augment mods that uses an alt-fire?

6 minutes ago, Madway7 said:

I want to know how far the decision process is in regard to scythes and melee3.0, last time we were left with it being undecided what will be done about their stances.

i second this, personally i'm 100% for making scythes 2 handed like they should've always been, but not about making them heavy blades. the scythe stances, with all their problems, both look good and are very much already better suited for larger weapons, which is evident with the zaw scythes. it'd be a shame to see all those cool animations go to waste when they could be used with improved timings, speeds, model placements and, most of all, no attack delays or animation locks (which is something other stances also suffer from but scythes have it particularly bad)

48 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

OPTIONS:
We are adding a toggle to preserve one aspect of the older melee system. You will be able to toggle an option, allowing you to continue melee attacks with the left mouse button once in melee mode.

Instead of or in addition to this, could we get the ability to separately bind keys to something like both "Gun Primary Fire" (which switches back to the last used gun and fires its primary fire mode even when in melee,) and "Current Primary Attack" (which swings melee if it's up, or uses the current gun's primary fire if not.) I currently use left mouse and mouse wheel up as primary fire, to reduce carpal tunnel strain from rapid firing guns that demand it against e.g. sortie-grade enemies. Under the new system, I'd want to bind left mouse to Gun Primary Fire and mouse wheel up to Current Primary Attack, so I can still rapidly swing via mousewheel while in melee. Without something like this, I'd need to do something like set up autohotkey with a toggle hotkey that manually switches between sending my mousewheel inputs to melee swing or gunfire, or give up using mousewheel down for alternate fire, both of which are pretty seriously undesirable.

Please showcase Blade & Whip (Mios, Lacera, Jat Kusar) with the new cleaner effects! It's hard to see the trajectory of the whip-end of the weapon since the trail's really faint with the current system. It would be nice to see where it's actually going.

18 minutes ago, (PS4)robi191291 said:

Shigeru Miyamoto 

A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad.

Worth noting that Miyamoto said this around the time that the Nintendo 64 was released, well before patches and content updates became a reality.  So these words don't really hold up to the way games are created and shipped nowadays.

Archived