Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ivara deluxe ??

On 2019-07-06 at 8:25 PM, InsomniaTheMistress said:

So, after three years of waiting we finaly got this - Ivara Deluxe Skin.

C_vogO4ZS1o.jpg

And it's horrible! How it's fit Ivara -  huntress with bow, tree warrior whose visual design was influenced by tree frogs? Right, in no way.
Looks like alpha version of Khora. Oh wait, Mike here, hello!

I hope DE never add it to the game.

I like the deluxe, gives me warrior-huntress vibe and helmet is based on deers which is symbol of Artemis ( Goddess of Hunt ). There are also some quite nice features like hip-quiver, arbalet and dagger on lower right leg ( you can see it when you look closely ).

She became a medium to heavy armored battlefield archer instead of forest prowler and it caught my interest.

OP;

Calling it horrible and telling that to never add it into game is just disrespectful. 

Artist who designed this deluxe also designed Ivara herself too, he knows his creation better than you and this is the direction he wanted his baby to take. He can make some alterations with feedback but don't expect it to be scrapped.

Edited by Aeon94
  • Like 1

On 2019-07-06 at 12:25 PM, InsomniaTheMistress said:

C_vogO4ZS1o.jpg

And it's horrible! How it's fit Ivara -  huntress with bow, tree warrior whose visual design was influenced by tree frogs? Right, in no way.

If you showed me this with no context, I'd have guessed it was a Gara or Khora skin

49 minutes ago, Aeon94 said:

I like the deluxe, gives me warrior-huntress vibe and helmet is based on deers which is symbol of Artemis ( Goddess of Hunt ). There are also some quite nice features like hip-quiver, arbalet and dagger on lower right leg ( you can see it when you look closely ).

She became a medium to heavy armored battlefield archer instead of forest prowler and it caught my interest.

OP;

Calling it horrible and telling that to never add it into game is just disrespectful. 

Artist who designed this deluxe also designed Ivara herself too, he knows his creation better than you and this is the direction he wanted his baby to take. He can make some alterations with feedback but don't expect it to be scrapped.

thsi reaction happens with just about every deluxe skin cause you know millions of people no skin will appeal to everyone honestly i doubt there'll be changes at all and I'll just nab the bundle when it comes out.

While all the deluxe skin announcements were cool.

I have to derail this  topic to bring up these two:

1) wukong deluxe when? they showed it was almost done and suddenly poof

2) equinox deluxe when? I know there was hate for it but I wanted the one-winged appearance. suddenly no more news about it

Edited by Xepthrichros

I just feel like the forest “guardian” theme doesn’t fit her

Ivara isn’t just an archer. She’s a huntress. I don’t see her defending anyone exept herself. She was already badass in her own right. But This skin isn’t bad, I just feel like it doesn’t play well on ivara’s themes. 

• Like 1

I wish to apologize for my initial reaction and potentially, somewhat toxic comment on it. Here's a better and more constructive review to make up for it.

The Skin simply looks too bulky overall and the helmet is kind of weird, but like a bad kind of weird. I don't expect it to be scrapped, but either repurposed for another Warframe or having made changes to it.
Changes to it that would make me dislike it alot less would be:

• Overall slimming it down, to make her look less bulky and more feminine/agile/elegant
  • Changing the helmet to represent the Hunter theme (Making it more Cowl like)
  • Making the Archer theme more visible on the rest of her body (i barely noticed the arrows on her left arm)
  • Visor like Eyes (It just deosn't look right to me with her having eyes like this)
  • I can't tell what the things on her hips are, is it cloth or armor? Im assuming its Armor, so changing it into cloth and making it longer would help alot too
  • Changing her Armor to look less like Metal and more like Leather 

I also do not know what the big metal thing on her left leg is supposed to be, so i don't know how to argue that. Just, not knowing what its supposed to be makes it look very, very weird.

When i think of Ivara, i think of her huntress theme the most. The ability to stalk your prey and then strike when it least expects it. While i am not against the "Guardian" theme this Skin is going with, as of right now, i don't really see it. As others have pointed out, she is a huntress and the only one she is going to protect will be herself. In Gameplay, this Skin would make her look like a Tank or a very sturdy and resistant Warframe, which would mean you would be trying to do the one thing she definetely can not do: Take alot of damage and still be fine.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Basalto said:

I guess someone ate spoiled bread today. Still, it's part of her theme.

I guess someone forgot to take their vitamins this morning. 

It's not part of her overall theme. That theme would be...tree frogs, bows and arrows. 

And those two things happen to be older than Artemis.

10 hours ago, Aeon94 said:

OP;

The references are all too vague and hard to pick up.  You say yourself just how closely you have to look just to see them.  If these were properly played up, I would have few qualms, if any.  Even after you state it though, I can't tell that thing on her hip is a quiver - and I know the ones you mean.  I just have to assume you are right because nothing else makes even a vague amount of sense.  It took other people explaining the helmet had antlers before I could see them at all despite considering Greek mythology a strong point of mine, with Artemisian iconography being a personal favorite.  I know my Artemis symbols, know of the stag iconography - still couldn't see it without aid.  The skin just looks bland with some accessories tacked on to try and vaguely indicate "well it's still Artemis kinda, if you think about it enough."  This really is lackluster for a warframe whose base skin powerfully blends multiple themes effectively, and the deluxe skin struggles to even implement a single one of the few themes on the base skin.

Definitely not a fan of these "cosplay" skins as I call them where it looks like one warframe is trying to cosplay another - a heavy battlefield armored unit strongly fits the description of several other warframes in the game (even if not archers) which is what's leading a lot of people to draw comparisons with other warframes that it "looks more like" (and it does).  We have the same issue with Ember Vermillion doing a phoenix theme when birds are Zephyr's theme - making it feel doubly mocking.  The Ember deluxe skin feels terrible for Ember users, and draws light to just how much DE has shoved Zephyr aside as if she is to be forgotten entirely, giving a deluxe skin more fitting for her to another warframe while shelving plans for her deluxe into the indefinite future.  These skins are never received well and I really wish DE would stop with the thematic overlap to other warframes.

I've said before and I'll say again that deluxe skins deserve leeway to reimagine warframes, but these thematic overlaps and extremely loose and vague references are not the way to do it.  If the original artist wanted to double down on the Artemis take and shove all the other themes he blended into the original Ivara (tree frogs and sneaky forest ranger tropes), then I believe he has license to do so.  But this feels like a really feeble attempt at even capturing that single theme.  He did a stronger job capturing the various themes even when he had MULTIPLE in the original skin!  For DE to expect platinum for this - for the artist to personally request that he be able to make this skin and then deliver this "mediocre-at-best" delivery - just doesn't cut it for me at all.

RE: your opinion on the OP.

I get you, but with how far this skin strays far and wide from anything recognizable as Artemis, or Ivara, or.... just anything remotely expected... the artist is going to have to be responsible for pulling such a betrayal of a concept he brought to life for us.  I would be more understanding if this was made by someone else (though no less disappointed and heartbroken).  For this to be from the original artist, who brought us something so far superior with the original product and then personally requested to make this, with no excuses since he MADE the original and should know it best?  It feels like a betrayal of the highest type, and people will be angry even if they shouldn't say things like this.  You're right, yes, but this is inevitable given the circumstances and the artist needs to face this sort of criticism or we will get betrayals of concept like this again, more heartbreak, and more outrage.

Personally, I have not been commenting on any of these threads in the expectation anything will change at all.  It's MUCH too late.  What was revealed to us looks like a final render.  There is no way that is going back into planning stages - even for small changes (and small changes wouldn't even be enough).  DE and the artist are going to be way too committed just because of the time and money invested in getting it this far, even if there wasn't the fact this is going to be a highly emotional skin for the artist who is going to no doubt be recalcitrant about keeping even this botched product because of his personal connection to Ivara and resultant belief he knows best.  I have provided suggestions about what could be changed on one thread (can't remember if it was this one or another) but I do not expect them to be pursued, and that is not the reason I left them.  The hope is more that the artist might see what could have been an acceptable middle ground that would not have created such a hostile community reaction while pursuing his artistic goals, because that's all I can do at this point.  If I'm going to have to suffer such heartbreak as knowing the warframe I've committed myself to so strongly is never getting a proper deluxe skin, than at least I have to feel my emotional distress is serving some greater cause.  Helping the artist grow and create products that avoid this reaction seems to be the only cause I can realistically commit that distress toward, so that's all I'm trying for at this point.

I don't realistically expect that to happen, either.  The artist is probably going to be blind to criticism on this one because it's so personal, and the odds they see my comments in the first place are low.  But I consider the odds of anything changing to be effectively zip, nil, zero, and zilch.  Better to at least feel there's a small chance something comes out of this than nothing at all, I guess, but I'm going to be devastated by this for a long time.

Edited by Maganar
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, MagPrime said:

She wasn't supposed to be Artemis.  Her initial design was based on a tree frog, not Artemis or anything close to that particular pantheon. 

unknown.png

And I can tell you that when it came time to vote on her name in DC, the majority of the members were vehemently against "Artemis" as being any part of her overall theme.

Regardless of what you believe, Artemis has always been a part of her theme.

It is probably more strongly a part of her theme in this skin than in the original, actually.

The problem is more that the artist abandoned ALL of the rest of her theme in order to accentuate the Artemis angle to the maximum degree, but oddly decided to do it through a guard to one of her temples.

Stag horns on the helmet are a dead giveaway, as the stag was a symbol of Artemis.  This exists only on the new deluxe, not on the original.

The artist IS trying to do an Artemis theme.  There's just no way around that.

5 hours ago, MagPrime said:

I guess someone forgot to take their vitamins this morning. 

It's not part of her overall theme. That theme would be...tree frogs, bows and arrows. 

And those two things happen to be older than Artemis.

I guess they threw a dart at a board and it just so happened to land on the Artemis, then. I'm not going to say you're disagreeing for the sake of it, but you sure sound like it, specially given the amount of passive-aggressiveness that you like using to "protect" your "point". The part that gets me curious is that tree frogs and bows and arrows are older than a divine entity; how exactly does that happen and how did people measure that?

1 hour ago, Maganar said:

Regardless of what you believe, Artemis has always been a part of her theme.

It is probably more strongly a part of her theme in this skin than in the original, actually.

The problem is more that the artist abandoned ALL of the rest of her theme in order to accentuate the Artemis angle to the maximum degree, but oddly decided to do it through a guard to one of her temples.

Stag horns on the helmet are a dead giveaway, as the stag was a symbol of Artemis.  This exists only on the new deluxe, not on the original.

The artist IS trying to do an Artemis theme.  There's just no way around that.

Got sources for that?  I'm basing my stance off conversations in Design Council when she was being created.

Her aesthetic was tree frog, her skills were originally to be more rogue based than anything else and when looking at Artimses' lore, the only similarity is passing visuals and the bow. 

1 hour ago, Basalto said:

I guess they threw a dart at a board and it just so happened to land on the Artemis, then. I'm not going to say you're disagreeing for the sake of it, but you sure sound like it, specially given the amount of passive-aggressiveness that you like using to "protect" your "point". The part that gets me curious is that tree frogs and bows and arrows are older than a divine entity; how exactly does that happen and how did people measure that?

Not only are you trying to address a tone I don't have (intentionally at least) you went off the rails with that last line.  

Gonna just ignore you, cause yeah, not sure what you're smoking and I don't want second hand exposure. 

2 hours ago, Basalto said:

The part that gets me curious is that tree frogs and bows and arrows are older than a divine entity; how exactly does that happen and how did people measure that?

If you knew anything about the Greek mythos concerning Artemis, then you would know that frogs, bows, and arrows were all in existance before she was fathered by Zeus and birthed by Leto.  She would later take up the bow as one of her symbols after maturing to adult form.  

Ah, thanks to posters who explained why they dislike official concept so much without "it is terrible", "did artist ever seen a real woman" and "I hope it will never get released" I sorta understand why they dislike official Deluxe.

Now, I am genuinely curious, what makes Jade Sin a better Tenno-Huntress-Artemis?

Why every Deluxe skin have to be hyper sexual and over the top? Not Jade Sin specifically, but take Liger concepts. Awesome art. Nidus Pryke is one of my favorite skins. But after a while stockings, animal feet, heaps of fabric, loads of detail and butts become normal first and repetitive second. A little bit of subtlety and variety is not that bad, right?

How Jade Sin will look in game? If her skeleton is not changed drastically, she will be a black Ivara with spikes and armored grieves (not very sneaky), cloak Syandana and helmet with horns. And if skin keeps her proportions... I do not think that she will fit Tenno aesthetics.

Edit: it would be interesting to see how many signs petition will get and how many players will buy and use official Deluxe. Those who are content rarely voice it.

Edited by rand0mname

14 hours ago, DatDarkOne said:

Given what happens in the forum EVERY TIME a deluxe skin is announced I can see why there isn't any more news about it.  😄 

it'd be nice if they at least said something to the effect of going back to adjust the design instead of just pretending it never happened.

• Like 1

On 2019-07-08 at 5:20 PM, (PS4)Lei-Lei_23 said:

I hope that doesn’t conflict with her Youkai helmet, because imho that is still the best looking Ivara helmet available (via Tennogen).

My only problem with the Youkai helmet are those bunny ear looking things. If they were removed then i would get the tennogen skin in a heartbeat.

Now when it comes to the deluxe skin, i do like it (I just hope it colours nicely), and if you happen to not like it then it's fine. Just don't try and get it scrapped or replaced if you happen to not like it.

• Like 1

On 2019-07-08 at 5:06 PM, -NightmareMoon- said:

Look DE im not here to bash on the artist but let's be real, its pretty bad I mean really bad,  as an Ivara main I really not feeling that deluxe skin at all, Reb showed something that in my opinion is way, WAY better than that:

nhPpQo6.png

THIS!!!! this is amazing, so please DE, reconsider, I beg you.

i like that too. i'd rather have the feet horizontal like normal though.

On 2019-07-08 at 5:18 PM, (PS4)Hikuro-93 said:

I wasn't all that interested in Nova's second deluxe. Until I heard the inside is all energy! 

Image result for eye shine gif

i didn't hear about that and can't find anything on google, do you have a link for me please ?

25 minutes ago, blaes said:

i didn't hear about that and can't find anything on google, do you have a link for me please ?

This should start where you want it:

Spoiler

They say 'who would have thought Rebecca was into Magic' and the next thing Rebecca says is the part about her being all energy inside.

• Like 1

On 2019-07-06 at 6:25 PM, InsomniaTheMistress said:

C_vogO4ZS1o.jpg

Same for Nezha's Deluxe... Ember's Deluxe... Atlas' Deluxe... and so on. They simply don't fit or are plain ugly. They fired a good designer and replaced with a guy who has no sense of good taste.
This skin fits Gara much more than Ivara. Just like Nezha's skin fits Atlas much better than the Atlas Deluxe skin itself.

For you to have an idea of what I mean just look at Ember's example:

What it supposed to be:

Spoiler

SnLw4lD.jpg

What we got:

Spoiler

aYjHghE.jpg

Edited by Sanxxieh

24 minutes ago, Sanxxieh said:

Same for Nezha's Deluxe... Ember's Deluxe... Atlas' Deluxe... and so on. They simply don't fit or are plain ugly. They fired a good designer and replaced with a guy who has no sense of good taste.
This skin fits Gara much more than Ivara. Just like Nezha's skin fits Atlas much better than the Atlas Deluxe skin itself.

For you to have an idea of what I mean just look at Ember's example:

What it supposed to be:

Reveal hidden contents

SnLw4lD.jpg

What we got:

Reveal hidden contents

aYjHghE.jpg

Nezha's and Atlas's deluxe 100% match their character.  Am I missing something?  Nezha is from chinese lore.  Then Atlas is all about Earth, and all of his powers are rock based.

You absolutely lost me at Nezha's skin fits Atlas more.  Are you sure you're talking about the right frames here?

• Like 2