Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ivara deluxe ??

I don't get why some people are so negative about the deluxe skin.

I would definitely buy the skin. It looks like a ranger with half armor and half silk clothes. It's asymmetrical at first glance. But the armor pieces on her left shoulder and hip correspond to the silk capes on her right side which makes it somewhat "symmetrical". And I like that design a lot.

Edited by yles9056

3 hours ago, (PS4)Zuzu_with_a_Z said:

How is the one on the right even Ivara... it screams Equinox.  Me is confused.

I don’t care for the... feet? on the Jade Sin skin (only gripe with it, looks pretty neat otherwise), but tbh the deluxe shown here for Ivara is better than the travesty of a deluxe they showed for Equinox way back when so... sure, why not. 🤦‍♀️

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Klaleara said:

Yes, there are several deluxe skins that are bad.  

And I never said the bad, I just said it wasn't interesting (Also said it in the form of an opinion).  It looks like a normal skin.  Ivara's Deluxe skin is what I would expect a new warframe to look like.  Its nothing special.  Hell, it even looks like an existing vanilla frame, sooo.

You stated what deluxe skins are usually a specific way and then state that hers does none of that.  You then went on to say that it was boring and an everyday skin.  Those things combined give the attitude off that the skin is objectively poor compared to other deluxe skins.  You even named two that you consider good.

Which is why I said don't confuse disinterest with poor design.  There is a lot of attention to detail to the deluxe skin.  Nothing is mega stand out ish but the way it all layers together makes it look like a complete look.  This is merely a different way of doing a look.  Some people like over the top visuals and others like a more uniform and subtle approach with attention to detail aka layering.

For an example of over the top deluxe's you have Nidus and Atlas for existing skins and the new excalibur deluxe as an up coming one.

For an example of uniform looks with layering involved you have Nyx's and inaros for existing and Ivara's for up coming one.

For example of "normal" skin that has very little done to it but still more than tennogens you have Loki's, Saryn's, Valkyr's, and banshee's to name a few.

Ivara's deluxe just has far too much detail and change to geometry to say it's an average every day skin.  The fact that you'd point it out to be what a new frame might look like seems to go against your previous claim about it being average.  I'll repeat myself one more time.  I'm fine with people not liking the skin or wanting something else.  I'm not okay with someone claiming it's a bad skin objectively.

The closest you can get to saying that is saying it's a bad skin for Ivara.  If you weren't trying to state that it's a bad skin overall then you did a pretty poor job with your responses.

• Like 1

It looks like garbage lol. It's too busy and she looks like scrambled eggs. It's worse than Volt Deluxe and I don't even know they could let this skin happen. 

Edited by Xaxma

As an Ivara main, this deluxe skin is positively heartbreaking.  I withheld buying Tennogen for Ivara for ages because the Tennogen artists did not play into Ivara's themes: Artemis, ranger tropes, and organic treefrog influences.  At last I bought the Astrea skin because of the skirt emissives and close match to the original look, but I only use it with the default helmet.  Even NOW, I still take to reverting to the base skin (which I have with my original color patterns on a few cosmetic loadouts - and I have more than one Ivara) because it is so powerful and compelling as an aesthetic for me, which the Tennogen designers have never captured.

The deluxe, finally on the table, should have been a godsend.  Even more so with the ORIGINAL CONCEPT ARTIST working on it at personal request.  This was at last perfect.

Except... he put out THIS?!?!?  What is this?  This doesn't resemble Ivara in any way.  It looks like a new warframe, and in several ways even resembles different existing warframes (the helmet looks plucked off of Khora).  Her proportions are all out of whack.  Ivara was never the most feminine of female warframes from in front, which I liked perfectly well, but this design looks downright masculine at times.  The shoulders are padded outward to be even wider than her hips (which have always been wide), creating a very boxy and rectangular profile befitting a man.

But let's forget that and get right down to the meat - Ivara's core thematic elements.  Treefrog, ranger, Artemis.  We lose the illusion of her wearing a hood (ranger trope) that the default has.  We lose the leafy skirt that looks like organic mimicry (treefrogs) or a wrap as Artemis is sometimes protrayed in Greek bas-reliefs (Artemis).  We lose the mottled skin patterning (treefrog).  We even lose thematic elements that were unique to Ivara that didn't even have to do with her special themes, like the single ocular sensor being replaced with a generic Khora-like helmet that gives an impression of two eyes.

This design is incredibly bland and betrays everything that made Ivara who she was as a design without playing into her themes in any new ways.  She feels awkward and masculine in silhouette.  It's genuinely heartbreaking for someone that had been so strongly committed to Ivara's original design and themes that I even eschew Tennogen to play using the concept artist's original design, to now see that design completely tossed aside and abandoned by the original artist himself, at his own request.  This is devastating for me.

- - - - -

EDIT: With additional scrutiny and browsing the comments (I had read most before posting, but missed a key response) I have finally puzzled out the artist intention.  The helmet - though I'm sorry, it fails catastrophically at this - is trying to give the impression of an antlered deer.  That is to say, a stag.  Stags, for any who do not know, were a symbol of Artemis.  Thus, I at last see where the artist went for a reference to the original themes and tried to imagine them in a new way.  But to earn my approval (even if not my purchase most likely as I do not like this direction), it would need to succeed as a cervid interpretation of Ivara.  This does not succeed - it does not even come close.  It looks like a masculine interpretation of Khora.  I need something far more evocative of Ivara in some form to be able to recognize the validity of this different take on an Artemis-themed warframe.

Edited by Maganar

On 2019-07-06 at 10:25 AM, InsomniaTheMistress said:

So, after three years of waiting we finaly got this - Ivara Deluxe Skin.

C_vogO4ZS1o.jpg

And it's horrible! How it's fit Ivara -  huntress with bow, tree warrior whose visual design was influenced by tree frogs? Right, in no way.
Looks like alpha version of Khora. Oh wait, Mike here, hello!

I hope DE never add it to the game.

FB_IMG_1562536930867.jpg?width=714&height=671

• Like 1

I'd like to know the origin of this skin before I sign.

On one level, I want anything done with DE's professional touch that they've brought to make so many wonderful deluxe skins to give my favorite warframe an appropriate deluxe skin instead of... that nightmarish reveal.  On another level, I need to know this artwork was internal to DE.  If this isn't DE's concept, it'd be downright art theft for them to build a model from an outsider's fan concept.  Pardon me if I'm supposed to recognize the artist name.  I'm afraid I don't.

If it's internal to DE, as another proposed skin by another artist who was also prompted to provide Ivara deluxe concepts despite the personal request of the original creator to make this skin, then I must sign the petition.  It is a superior delivery, which I find regrettable to admit with the person who brought us Ivara's incredible design having personally requested to make a skin I would be downplaying, requesting that a colleague's be put in as a substitute.

But I can't sign if its external to DE, I'm just sorry.

14 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

FB_IMG_1562536930867.jpg?width=714&height=671

Oof, this hits so hard actually.  Firstly, to hear him downplay his original design as not badass and instead "adorable space frog princess" despite her rippling musculature seen from behind and unorthodox hood-like helmet design that felt much more brooding than other female warframe helmets.  Secondly, to hear his actual interpretation that she's now a temple guard.

She was supposed to be Artemis?  Not a bored temple guard dumped in front of an Artemisian temple and forced to wear a stag headdress to symbolize the goddess whose shrine she was protecting?  Kind of a downgrade, isn't it, to go from a goddess..... to a temple guard protecting the shrine of the same goddess.

1 minute ago, Maganar said:

Oof, this hits so hard actually.  Firstly, to hear him downplay his original design as not badass and instead "adorable space frog princess" despite her rippling musculature seen from behind and unorthodox hood-like helmet design that felt much more brooding than other female warframe helmets.  Secondly, to hear his actual interpretation that she's now a temple guard.

She was supposed to be Artemis?  Not a bored temple guard dumped in front of an Artemisian temple and forced to wear a stag headdress to symbolize the goddess whose shrine she was protecting?  Kind of a downgrade, isn't it, to go from a goddess..... to a temple guard protecting the shrine of the same goddess.

She wasn't supposed to be Artemis.  Her initial design was based on a tree frog, not Artemis or anything close to that particular pantheon. 

unknown.png

And I can tell you that when it came time to vote on her name in DC, the majority of the members were vehemently against "Artemis" as being any part of her overall theme.

• Like 4

On 2019-07-09 at 12:36 PM, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

It has always been my perspective that deluxe skins are the only chance people get to take actual liberties with design.  They get to take bigger risks.  Where as Tennogen seem pretty restrictive.  Meant to build upon the current base but give it a slight theme.  And primes take the current base/theme and crank it up to 11.  For the most part this is how things have been minus things like volt/octavia deluxe.

The creator of this deluxe is the same person who created Ivara.  They stated in a twitter post that this skin is meant to contrast her current look.  The current look being described as frog princess hunter.  The deluxe skin being described as a forrest guardian archer with some elvish influence.  So instead of having an organic, stealthy, cloth like look we're getting an armored archer warrior type look that has some feelings of nobility/protector vibes.

Ivara already has 3 tennogen skins with 2 alt hats that already play off of her base/theme being a hunter of sorts.  It makes sense that they're not continuing that route.  Personally there is a lot I like about this skin.  I like the face plate looking hollow with glowing eyes making it feel like it's some possessed armor.  I like the details with her hands.  Most warframe hands look like velvet/rubber skin extensions of the main suit.  These look like actual mesh hands with metallics on the digits.  I like the layered armor effect with the open tummy slot that has the crest towards the top.  I like how it looks like her upper back has a gem in it.  etc.  I am worried about the two tone decision as it made fashioning things like equinox default rather difficult.

I think the biggest "sin" from this skin is simply that she wasn't recognizable as Ivara.  Sure she's got a knife, cross bow, arrows, and a quiver.  But those feel like things included to tell us that it's ivara.  Rather than us just seeing Ivara.  Even deluxe's that take a pretty big departure from the base or theme like Frost's Harka skin still manage to make you recognize the frame.  Ivara's deluxe just doesn't do that.  Granted I didn't think of any particular frame when I first saw it.  But still.  I think it does work for her.  Though I am reserving final judgement of it until I can color it.

For those expecting to see a more "high detailed" look on her base or theme you have her prime to look forward to later this year.  And the door is open for multiple deluxe skins now as Nova and ash are about to get their second one's.

But this is the thing: I disagree - strongly - that the Tennogen skins play up to Ivara's theme.  They more closely resemble her model but her themes?  Not at all.  They abandon them and steer far away... as I personally think Tennogen is inclined to do, made by external sources.

DE I expect to show more restraint, and better reference the original themes.  I believe deluxe skins, since they can change the model, should be given leeway to reinterpret the warframe as a new delivery on the same themes.  But this does not deliver on Ivara's themes.  It tries to.  But it is shocking to me that the original artist, who so powerfully blended three themes (Artemis, ranger tropes, and organic treefrog appearances) could so wildly divert into an unrecognizable direction and consider it a simple reinterpretation of "his baby."

The helmet, though it fails and looks like a knock-off Khora helmet, is trying to give the impression of a stag - one of Artemis' symbols.  The artist claimed she was now supposed to look like a temple guard - so referencing the worship of Artemis.  But now she has descended from being a goddess, to now being the mere protector of the shrine to the same goddesses.  I'm even flexible on my interpretation of the ranger tropes, allowing more warrior-themed aesthetic options, so long as they deliver on the concept of a traveling warrior (ultimately, what the word "ranger" refers to).  But this doesn't even play off of those takes.  This doesn't even make an attempt to reference the ranger tropes or treefrog look, or any of Ivara's other signature aesthetics - the skirt or the single ocular sensor in the middle of her brooding, hoodlike helmet.

If the artist wanted to do a temple guard take successfully, we should have seen a heavy armored reinterpretation of her skirt, with actual model material instead of just emissive glowing lights.  It could have given the impression of Greek pteruges to properly reference the Ancient Greek origin of Artemis that he wanted with this temple guardian look.  At least then we could have visually recognized Ivara.  Secondly, he should have extended the antlers on the helmet SIGNIFICANTLY.  Three, four, even five times as long.  I could not tell it was even supposed to be stag horns until it was pointed out to me, and I know my Artemis.  Make them large and prominent to powerfully symbolize this cervid interpretation of Ivara (that more heavily plays toward the Artemis part of her theme), as opposed to the amphibian one of the original.

As it is, it makes a few bland and easily ignorable references to Artemis, then goes with noble warrior tropes slathered heavily over the rest (hence why people are seeing Gara in it, who is infused with that theme) and then calls it a day.  It is devastating to me that the original artist, who did such a stellar job on the original base skin, delivered such a lackluster interpretation.

2 hours ago, Maganar said:

I'd like to know the origin of this skin before I sign.

On one level, I want anything done with DE's professional touch that they've brought to make so many wonderful deluxe skins to give my favorite warframe an appropriate deluxe skin instead of... that nightmarish reveal.  On another level, I need to know this artwork was internal to DE.  If this isn't DE's concept, it'd be downright art theft for them to build a model from an outsider's fan concept.  Pardon me if I'm supposed to recognize the artist name.  I'm afraid I don't.

If it's internal to DE, as another proposed skin by another artist who was also prompted to provide Ivara deluxe concepts despite the personal request of the original creator to make this skin, then I must sign the petition.  It is a superior delivery, which I find regrettable to admit with the person who brought us Ivara's incredible design having personally requested to make a skin I would be downplaying, requesting that a colleague's be put in as a substitute.

But I can't sign if its external to DE, I'm just sorry.

The Jade Sin Skin was fan artwork created by an artist named Asturisk on deviantart. They submitted the artwork on DA back in April 6 (based off of reading the link date).

Original DA link to the Asturisk's submission: https://www.deviantart.com/asturisk/art/Warframe-Ivara-Jade-Sin-Skin-792748523

The fan artwork was noticed by DE and they showed it off during prime time video #243:  

Thank goodness someone wrote link references in DA comments so I could be lazy

The part I am looking forward to the most for their deluxe skin is how different the helmet looks from the original.

I am sick of looking at the mushroom cyclops and would like alternative options.

The rest of the deluxe skin, I won't mind if they change it a bit to fit the feedback people are giving. 

Edited by Xepthrichros

3 hours ago, MagPrime said:

She wasn't supposed to be Artemis.  Her initial design was based on a tree frog, not Artemis or anything close to that particular pantheon. 

unknown.png

And I can tell you that when it came time to vote on her name in DC, the majority of the members were vehemently against "Artemis" as being any part of her overall theme.

Well, they sure did a pretty S#&$ job at that, considering that her fourth ability is called Artemis Bow.

Honestly, gtfo with this petition. I like new Ivaras deluxe skin so please stop with all those stupid posts. Do you have any idea how much work went into creating this skin?

On top of that, the concept you are showing looks terrible.

• Like 1

Wow.  Where did all these fake Ivara Mains come from all of a sudden?  Yes I said it.  If you want to challenge my claim, then you better be able to show proof of 1400+ in game hours with at least 84% usage on Ivara.  

edit:  If you don't like a design, cool.  Just don't disrespect the artist and his/her work while giving your opinion.

😛

Edited by DatDarkOne
added sentence
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

Wow.  Where did all these fake Ivara Mains come from all of a sudden?  Yes I said it.  If you want to challenge my claim, then you better be able to show proof of 1400+ in game hours with at least 84% usage on Ivara.  

edit:  If you don't like a design, cool.  Just don't disrespect the artist and his/her work while giving your opinion.

😛

Don't disrespect the artist, agreed.  Disrespecting the work?  Meh.  If you can't handle criticism, don't do whatever that is professionally.  Not like if I do a crappy job at IT, people are like "Oh, you did good, I really see you tried hard there buddy!".  Hell, even if I do a good job, it's quite often complaints.

Also, being a "main" anything in Warframe is kinda silly.  Situations require different stuff.  But I won't bash someone for their playstyle.  Just saying, don't give crap to other people just because you played a lot on a single Warframe.

Edited by Klaleara

13 minutes ago, Klaleara said:

Also, being a "main" anything in Warframe is kinda silly.  Situations require different stuff.  But I won't bash someone for their playstyle.  Just saying, don't give crap to other people just because you played a lot on a single Warframe.

It's a very simple principle.  If you are going to comment on something as if you are the absolute master, then at least have some experience with said item.  

Having said that, a good number of those commenting on this topic barely even play Ivara.  So how the deluxe skin looks is pretty much a moot point.  Meaning they don't play the frame, so more than likely won't buy the deluxe regardless of how it looks.  It just looks like complaining and disrespectful behavior just for the hell of it.  

There is a difference between criticism and bashing something.  😀

Side note: As someone who has also worked in IT for about 20 years, I can honestly say that most users either lack common sense or just lazy. 

1 hour ago, DatDarkOne said:

It's a very simple principle.  If you are going to comment on something as if you are the absolute master, then at least have some experience with said item.  

Having said that, a good number of those commenting on this topic barely even play Ivara.  So how the deluxe skin looks is pretty much a moot point.  Meaning they don't play the frame, so more than likely won't buy the deluxe regardless of how it looks.  It just looks like complaining and disrespectful behavior just for the hell of it.  

There is a difference between criticism and bashing something.  😀

Side note: As someone who has also worked in IT for about 20 years, I can honestly say that most users either lack common sense or just lazy. 

It has absolutely nothing to do with how long someone has played Ivara, this isn't a rework, its a Skin.  I don't need 1000 hours on Ivara to say it doesn't appeal to me.

Exact top definition of Criticism "the expression of disapproval of someone or something based on perceived faults or mistakes." - Which is exactly what people are doing.  We are disapproving of it, cause we don't think it either fits, or just doesn't look good enough to be a deluxe.

Edit:  Just an FYI, the way you talk in regards to the whole "Have experience, and being a master" sounds extraordinarily pompous.  You aren't going to get very far with people talking like that.

Edited by Klaleara
  • Like 1