Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So uh, what happened to focusing on the "war" in 2020?

Goldenrice

I love the artistry and story and gameplay and culture of Warframe but at this point, as an investing player, I’m going to act like a shareholder:

I said it earlier.  Studios that adapt to the new norm and continue to put out quality products will survive.  This is what I want for DE. To survive and thrive.

And I’m going to ask:

”In the face of the “new norm”, what is the plan of action going forward so that you can maintain profitability as a company and continue to produce a quality product with consistency?”

Look, I LIVE off of the hype and beauty that is Tennocon, but whatever “Heart of Deimos” IS, it ISN’T a phase 3-finished Railjack or New War update.

And so, in addition to an action plan, I’d like DE to be more transparent and bold than ever when it comes to these projects.  I think it’s critical.

Fin.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

And so, in addition to an action plan, I’d like DE to be more transparent and bold than ever when it comes to these projects.  I think it’s critical.

Same, but I dont think they can tell us atm. Mostly because of the restrictions going on, so they dont know yet when they can utilize their office for those releases. I mean even big TV-shows cant give any proper dates yet on when they can air the remaining episodes of a season since they aswell lack access to their studios for post production work. Supernatural is stuck halfway through the season and TWD sits with one episode left out and a potential air date in october, if they can get back to the studio to work on the last effects needed for that single episode.

So I think we'll need to wait until DE gets the green light regarding going back to their office. And I think that if they'd say anything now, some specific people would again take it as a "promise" even though changes regarding going back to the office is out of DE's hands in the end.

8 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

Same, but I dont think they can tell us atm. Mostly because of the restrictions going on, so they dont know yet when they can utilize their office for those releases. I mean even big TV-shows cant give any proper dates yet on when they can air the remaining episodes of a season since they aswell lack access to their studios for post production work. Supernatural is stuck halfway through the season and TWD sits with one episode left out and a potential air date in october, if they can get back to the studio to work on the last effects needed for that single episode.

So I think we'll need to wait until DE gets the green light regarding going back to their office. And I think that if they'd say anything now, some specific people would again take it as a "promise" even though changes regarding going back to the office is out of DE's hands in the end.

An update of this nature IMHO needs to come from DE.

If they want to relate it to other industries, and challenges, fine.  They can update on what HAS happened from a “DE standpoint” and where they HOPE to go moving forward and what kind of structure they hope to implement.

Tencent talks have little to do with it.

Just now, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

An update of this nature IMHO needs to come from DE.

If they want to relate it to other industries, and challenges, fine.  They can update on what HAS happened from a “DE standpoint” and where they HOPE to go moving forward and what kind of structure they hope to implement.

Tencent talks have little to do with it.

Yeah no, I'm not talking about tencent at all here. The pandemic restrictions are a still in effect, so DE have no clue when they can get back to the office to put work into RJ, NW or future projects. So we probably cant get an answer regarding their plans until they know which date they can get back to the office. It would suck for DE to say "we'll be back at the office in september hopefully" then the government postpones it, because some players will take the DE info as a promise, even if that info includes a "hopefully".

I guess at the earliest we can get info from DE when a date is given regarding restrictions being lifted in Canada, since at that point they can start planning the transition back to the office.

20 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

Yeah no, I'm not talking about tencent at all here. The pandemic restrictions are a still in effect, so DE have no clue when they can get back to the office to put work into RJ, NW or future projects. So we probably cant get an answer regarding their plans until they know which date they can get back to the office. It would suck for DE to say "we'll be back at the office in september hopefully" then the government postpones it, because some players will take the DE info as a promise, even if that info includes a "hopefully".

I guess at the earliest we can get info from DE when a date is given regarding restrictions being lifted in Canada, since at that point they can start planning the transition back to the office.

My assumption is not the “when”, hence the new norm.  It’s the “how”.  Players have been waiting years now and DE has been investing years into this update.

27 minutes ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

My assumption is not the “when”, hence the new norm.  It’s the “how”.  Players have been waiting years now and I’m  DE has been investing years into this update.

I dont think the how has changed regarding RJ and New War. And I dont think they wanna talk about substitute content that is being worked on now incase they have to drop the work on it to go back to the main projects when the studio opens again. I think their current plan is to stick to the release method for those two while also working on substitutes incase they cant head back to the studio, this in order to keep releases of some kind flowing, but those substitues are also likely projects they can just drop if work is needed elsewhere. And we all know how people around these parts take any info regarding new things as promises. So not talking about the substitue content releases avoids possible "where is X that they promised us?". I mean even if DE are very specific about that plans may change, people love to skip that part and overhype instead. So currently I think the quiet approach from DE is good, unless of course their plans regarding "how" RJ and New War will be released have changed, incase they should definently say so.

I'm pretty sure Deimos was actually not planned to be part of the game until they needed to pave the way for a possible infested RJ expansion.

5 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

I dont think the how has changed regarding RJ and New War. And I dont think they wanna talk about substitute content that is being worked on now incase they have to drop the work on it to go back to the main projects when the studio opens again. I think their current plan is to stick to the release method for those two while also working on substitutes incase they cant head back to the studio, this in order to keep releases of some kind flowing, but those substitues are also likely projects they can just drop if work is needed elsewhere. And we all know how people around these parts take any info regarding new things as promises. So not talking about the substitue content releases avoids possible "where is X that they promised us?". I mean even if DE are very specific about that plans may change, people love to skip that part and overhype instead. So currently I think the quiet approach from DE is good, unless of course their plans regarding "how" RJ and New War will be released have changed, incase they should definently say so.

I'm pretty sure Deimos was actually not planned to be part of the game until they needed to pave the way for a possible infested RJ expansion.

The “how” has changed.  Playing the waiting game on Covid without changing from what WAS normal is quickly solidifying itself as a recipe for failure.

What’s needed now is adaptation and ingenuity to continue to produce AND control costs.

Studios that solve these challenges will evolve and thrive.

“Sleight of Hand” marketing of different content with the promise of Tennocon release will work and be appreciated and, in a sense, CAN be seen as adapting to the situation...to a point.

The hype machine that I mentioned above and love (using the movie trailer philosophy) will also help.

But ultimately, for a successful event, part of Tennocon needs to be honesty and some transparency with the new norm as pertains to progress and challenges with The New War, Duviri, etc.

Is it “owed” to us?  

Of course not.

Is it good business?  IMO absolutely.

And one final thing.

I understand the gravity of Covid-19 as pertains to the modern work environment.  I work under the “Essential” Umbrella and am blessed to continue to be able to work.  But the challenges and dangers are also something I’ve faced first-hand, and so I can appreciate the DE staff having to face it’s own unique and considerable challenges.

Fin

On 2020-07-22 at 5:40 AM, (XB1)C11H22O11 said:

We are not ready to deliver on literal expectations of The New War or The Duviri Paradox just yet with no studio, so we develop something that is not intended to be a Demo, but intended to be shipped closer to Tennocon (when it’s ready).

They have mentioned in some streams but I don't really feel like searching. From that post it might not launch at the day of tennocon but it's supposed to be close.

Steve needs to learn how to talk.  Cause every one thinks an update is dropping at tennocoin. ..  even p tato  thinks so. .

3 hours ago, (PS4)SolarPhantom82 said:

Steve needs to learn how to talk.  Cause every one thinks an update is dropping at tennocoin. ..  even p tato  thinks so. .

I see Steve as an ambitious person who can't control himself. No wonder Rebb always stop him from talking too much during devstreams.

18 minutes ago, DrivaMain said:

I see Steve is an ambitious person who can't control himself. No wonder Rebb always stop him from talking too much during devstreams.

Yeah  I wasn't trying to take a shot at him.  But he does this alot.   First stream after he said that  Rebb was saying it might don't ship at tennocoin. ..  poor Rebb. ...

1 hour ago, (PS4)SolarPhantom82 said:

Yeah  I wasn't trying to take a shot at him.  But he does this alot.   First stream after he said that  Rebb was saying it might don't ship at tennocoin. ..  poor Rebb. ...

Probably because at no point did he say that, only that it would not be months and months down the line, but somehow people still decided that means "Immediately" instead of "Soon"?

On 2020-07-21 at 6:51 PM, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

I suspect that it had more to do with having to scrap the venue and format, that they are accustomed to using and having to work out the technical issues associated with a new format. 

I doubt that as an online only stream is much easier to accomplish. They never sold any actual tickets. They made a Judgement call and never released tickets. Going to online only is far much easier logically vs putting on the actual attending convention.

It's not like they already show assets off during devstream throughout the year. Tennocon this year is just a much longer Devstream going from 1200 to 6PM. 

Having attended a few tennocons, it's far easier to do this. So why delay a stream? 

On 2020-07-21 at 11:10 PM, Loza03 said:

That line has no time component to it. If it did, it would be 'We want to ship what we show when we show it.'

What that line most likely means is that what they will be showing this year is on an actual build of the product. For a fairly loose example, compare the difference between the 2018 and 2019 Railjack Demos. 2018 - no menus, it's stated at one point that the music cues were pre-prepared, almost every transition involves a cutscene, later depictions have the same dialogue running - that's a pure tech demo, all smoke and mirrors. 2019, on the other hand, has mission screens, customization options, mission architecture. It's in a 'playable' state, technically, but still needs the vast majority of the non-essential systems produced and plugged it and it's probably waaaay buggier even than the final product. That's a build, even if it's very far removed from the live one.

Now, 2019 Railjack is a worst-case-scenario, and likely Steve was thinking that when he said what he did. So, if we assume that 2019 Railjack was about 33% done (Tech in place, still need a more concrete mission structure, progression systems, still working on the godforsaken real-time-management that was apparently a nightmare), I think we can assume that Heart of Deimos will be at least 50% done, hopefully closer to 75%.

So why push back Tenncom then? It's not like they spent 2 tennocons showing Railjack in two different iterations before....so why delay now? Why delay essentially an extended devstream when you never ship anything that your debuting?  The only reason why you would delay is to at least attempt to ship an update. Not assigning a date dosent mean that they are at least attempting to ship something. As soon as they announced the date change, I had a feeling that was the goal this year as this year: it allows them to pull this off. 

PC gets Deimos...console gets The Steel Path. Why else would you delay? It's got to be the studio's goal. And if this is the case: it could set a yearly goal for DE to not only show things, but to release content on the date of the convention which I would think the community would really appreciate. 

2 hours ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Probably because at no point did he say that, only that it would not be months and months down the line, but somehow people still decided that means "Immediately" instead of "Soon"?

"We plain to ship what we show " can easily sound like the day they show it. . Could and has been taken both ways.  Even warframe youtubers are talking about the update that's dropping apiril 1st. ..  with the DElay to Tennocon,  it's seemed it was for more time to get the update ready. ..   

3 hours ago, (PS4)SolarPhantom82 said:

"We plain to ship what we show " can easily sound like the day they show it. . Could and has been taken both ways.  Even warframe youtubers are talking about the update that's dropping apiril 1st. ..  with the DElay to Tennocon,  it's seemed it was for more time to get the update ready. ..   

We plan to ship what we show We plan to ship what we show on the day that we show it. 

There's a subtle difference between the two, you see. It's a tiny matter of "not adding in the 'when part' just because you want it immediately and so choose to believe that you will get it immediately". 

And when you get around to publishing video games of equal or greater value or scope, with a team composed of a similar number of people, during a global pandemic well that's the day I'll take your assessment, of how long it takes to get stuff ready, seriously. 

Or, you know, establish that you have a firm grip on reality by not blatantly adding in the things you want to hear to an announcement. That would probably work too, but might take longer to happen than the first option. 

8 hours ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

If you want to get super literal. If they are shipping what they show, everything, exactly as we see it on Tennocon is the exact same way as it will be when it ships, right? If there are bugs in the Tennocon build, they "ship what they show", so they will ship it with bugs, right?

And if Tennocon build that is shown is what will be shipped, what's the point of releasing it at a later date? Tennocon build is done, so public build is done, so it can be shipped.

So stop with the: "Um, actually". Steve just chose his words poorly

New War is likely on hold due to not being able to do MoCap/Voice acting, otherwise those cutscenes will play out like a bad Spanish Soap Opera. it either needs to be done properly, or not at all, and if that means waiting until next year to resume the New War, then so be it. anywya, infested need some love and now it looks like they'll be brought more up to date with the other factions.

2 hours ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

New War is likely on hold due to not being able to do MoCap/Voice acting, otherwise those cutscenes will play out like a bad Spanish Soap Opera. it either needs to be done properly, or not at all, and if that means waiting until next year to resume the New War, then so be it. anywya, infested need some love and now it looks like they'll be brought more up to date with the other factions.

I don't see why would DE need mocap tho. New War was supposed to be more than a quest, why not add some events, events that don't require any cinematics. Hell, DE could just add Sentient invasions, with no story at all, and it would still be better than nothing as we'd see that Sentient are in fact at war with the Origin system, instead of sitting in their Murex, doing absolutely nothing

Archived