Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bonewidow 2.0 Ability Changes

[DE]Megan

IMO, the bonewidow should get a mega stat boost across the board. In what world would i use a melee necramech when i have my warframe that does it better and faster, and why would i choose this necramech over the first one.

Whats funny about this is that with the change to the first ability no one will even use the unreliable and dumb shield anymore, since you cant use her first ability with the shield in hand (at least last time i tried). That "shield" is one hot mess. It blocks nothing! And no, im not saying it has a low health pool and doesnt last long enough. It actually doesnt even work 95% of the time. Whenever i just stood still and tried it, had some enemy shoot at me from the front at any angle, the shield simply didnt block anything. Its crap.

1 minute ago, MistressMoonpaw said:

Whats funny about this is that with the change to the first ability no one will even use the unreliable and dumb shield anymore, since you cant use her first ability with the shield in hand (at least last time i tried). That "shield" is one hot mess. It blocks nothing! And no, im not saying it has a low health pool and doesnt last long enough. It actually doesnt even work 95% of the time. Whenever i just stood still and tried it, had some enemy shoot at me from the front at any angle, the shield simply didnt block anything. Its crap.

And it also has a cooldown if it breaks, for some reason.  It honestly feels like it was pulled from a different game, with way different balancing guidelines and requirements.  It's just completely discordant with basically every other ability in this game.

"Bonewidow is geared towards the more “tankier” focused Necramech in comparison to Voidrig. This change to Meathook aims to tackle that head on."

Oh boy. The shield feels like a joke, so this better be some R5 Magus repair level of regen if this is supposed to be "the tanky one" compared to voidrig's rhino ironskin levels of immortality.

Replace the janky 3 with Mag's pull or Nidus larva would be a first step to compensate for low mobility/low range. Or maybe put excalibur's 4 projectiles on it. Maybe let us use AW heavy weapons on the shield hand while having the ironbride enabled? I can see a no-range+no-mobility mech work in regular tilesets with chokepoints, but for now it feels ill-fitting for open world combat to put it mildly.

Also why do mechs disable radar despite our pets (with radar mods equipped) being active and vulnerable? We're already paying a hefty fine in heavily restricted mobility and energy/hp replenishment options for even trying to use mechs.

As I and many others have said, including during the test cluster, the melee does barely any damage, and IMO even if it did infinite damage it would still be unfun to use. Clunky and slow melee does not work in a game like warframe.

When I can't reliably get to enemies quickly, a short ranged melee attack doesn't work. Especially one with such a slow and terrible "stance". Especially when necramechs are much slower than warframes anyway. Especially when it takes energy that necramechs can't reliably regenerate. Especially when it does barely any damage.

Slide attacking is ok I guess, but that seems like an afterthought more than anything given that you aren't swinging your sword with your sword mech. And it only works assuming the enemies are in the right spot to get knocked down by a linear attack, which given that currently mechs are exclusive to open world, is usually not the case. And once mechs are brought to other places, since it's been shown mechs wouldn't be able to go through doors, it would be pretty much useless, not enough space. Unless that's planned to be addressed. TBH I think the latter would kill mechs entirely outside of defense missions, but that's besides the point.

If Bonewidow has any hope of being even remotely useful (and not even compared to voidrig because that will probably never happen, even conceptually), it has to be able to close the gap easily. Maybe if instead of the three just corralling enemies it sucked them in kinda like vauban? Instead of speeding up a mech it pulls enemies to it? Even then I'm not sure it'd be worth using. When warframes exist that do just as much damage with melee on top of having a fluid movement system, I can't see a melee mech ever competing.

• I like the change to Meathook, it is basically what others and I suggested.
  • Shield Maiden still needs a massive buff of its hitpoints and the angle from which it blocks damage, or changed into a duration based ability with no hitpoint limit.
  • Firing Line change looks interesting on paper, but the ability will remain clunky to use as long as you are rooted in place for a moment whenever you cast it.
  • Ironbride still suffers the fate of all exalted weapons that continously drain energy: you need a way to reliably replenish energy to be worth using. For Warframes, by using various combinations of mods and arcanes this is possible (e.g. Primed Flow + Arcane Energize), but nothing exists for Bonewidow to regenerate energy on its own, orb drops from enemies alone are simply never enough to counteract the drain.

Anyway. A step in the right direction.

Oh, and please increase the range of Necramech built-in vacuum to the same as the Vacuum/Fetch mods.

These changes look... actually pretty good. I still think there is a massive problem with the difference between Arbequex and Ironbride but at this point I'd say Bonewidow has a better designed kit than Voidrig (Voidrig has big damage though).

The thing Necramechs could have to give them a role alongside Warframes would be as big single-target damage dealers. Voidrig has this, Bonewidow does not. Thus while I would argue Bonewidow is better designed, it does not have a role like Voidrig does. Ironbride should not be compared to other arch-melee or even traditional melee. It should be compared to the highest DPS options we have in game as its role is purely to DPS.

Ironbride could also still use a bit more range, in addition to more damage Arbequex also has a high fire rate and massive AoE that Ironbride needs to compete with.

Can you please stop doing this?, can you please test things before live?, can you please stop to treat this game like it was in pre-alpha?, can you please give us something that doesnt requires "CoMpLeTeThIsFiELd ReViSiTeD" or "ComPLeTeThIsFiElD AbYiIiTy ChAnGeS 2.0" ten times a month?......Thank you!

Btw and in the mean time, Necramech exp is STILL BUGGED......

What about... actual damage? Combos for the sword?

Voidrig's guard mode can do over a million per shot, at a range, in an AoE, at a decent fire rate that can be modded to be better! the base dmg alone is 30 times higher than iron bride's, which is a melee counterpart

Can we have actual combos like an actual melee weapon? Gap closers? AoE moves? Forced procs? Excuse me??????? Nothing more than those 3 basic slow swings????

1 hour ago, Ikusi_Prime said:

Can we get one of these for Limbo? Nyx? Hildryn? 

This new balance model of "Ship, Assess, Revise" is amazing, but I feel like a lot of frames and frame reworks that happened before this model could use some love.

Leave Hildryn alone. She's perfect. Of Hildryn is changed at all I'm done with this game.

Just replace her 3 already with something else more effective whether it's a damaging ability or utility one..

The main problem is that you created a monster with Voidrig's 4 and it's normal that people are finding Bone's 4 subpar, hell with her kit she was already born subpar...

When you create something like Arquebex you should know by now that the second version of a mech either gonna have something outstanding more or less on par with the 1st one or people gonna shi_t on it regardless.

I kinda am sorry about the sad state of this mech because the look of it is really good but that's it, either she gets something really powerful and different of course or she'll stay in her dead on arrival state forever.

Bonewidows abilities is like half of Valkyrs kit choped up into 4 abilities, but with nothing that makes Valk fun to play. You want bonewidow to work? Make her very agile on top of being tanky. Make her into a great weapon platform where her abilities do not interfere with the weapon play. The changes seem to be heading in the right direction but the rig still offers nothing in terms of power or more interesting gameplay (stanceless archwing melee mashing seriously isnt interesting enough novelty about the mech and its the only thing it has to offer).

First ability looks cool but does nothing worthwhile currently. Love the idea of extra melee brutality via grappling of enemies. I very much like the idea of health regen on enemy pickup which gives her that needed survivability, however her throw still does nothing. You could even merge her 1 and 3, put the effect of grouping up enemies on the point of impact of thrown enemy, get cool 1 first ability out of it and it would be fun and it would have reason to be used. Punch with the grappled enemy for extra damage when shield is not equiped. Maybe give it something like 10x melee dmg and insta health when used on knocked up enemies for cool finisher usage? Unique combat buff instead? Im sure you can think of something cooler.

Second ability, the shield does nearly nothing right now, breaks too easily. I like the changes give it shield bash while using guns. I would say lean into it, make it dangerous. Make it taunt enemies when its up and let necramech get some buffs when the shield breaks and you should be able to break the shield yourself by hitting enemies with it, either from air slams or dash shield bashing or just shield bashing. Lets make it into a mechanic that would be required to keep the buffs up.

third ability I would prefer to see merged with something. Its useful and might be in fact the most useful ability in her whole kit, but its bland and seems just like a better paralysis.

4th ability, the exalted blade should be a game changer. So far its really not. There should be some kind of mechanic that would encourage actually going into melee with enemies. Preferably something that has to be maintained by slicing enemies in melee, maybe let it compliment switching between close and ranged weapon for maximum potential. You are not going to compete with convenience of a raw destructive potential of ranged artillery of a void rig, but atleast you should strive to give it some niche and make it more fun than archwing melee E mashing. I like the idea of radial ragdolls on 3rd hit but unless it serves as setup for other moves in her kit, its just a waste of time.

You should probably review what kind of fantasy you wish to fulfill with her gameplay feel and share it with us.

2 hours ago, [DE]Megan said:

SHIELD MAIDEN: 

• Damage Reflection added to the shield, incoming blocked damage will be reflected back at the target.

• Damage Reflection can be upgraded with level and Strength Mods.

• Meleeing with Shield Maiden will give you access to the Shield Bash you get while using Exalted Ironbride.

AoE attacks (Bombards, Saxum spore burst) are still ignoring the shield, damaging Bonewidow. That should be nullified. 

2 hours ago, [DE]Megan said:

EXALTED IRONBRIDE: 

• Radial ragdoll added to 3rd melee strike with the ability to Critical hit - but not full knock back as to keep enemies contained within striking distance.

• Exalted Ironbride now has a slight aim assist that will help prevent over swing.

The Ironbride swinging animations should be upper body restricted, which means you can retain full movement while still swinging the Ironbride.

It's good to see some feedback like the Meathook siphoning the hooked victim's health was considered, but like Xaku, there should've been the hindsight that Bonewidow's kit needs major revisions/buffs to be fun and usable than back at launch.

Give Necramechs enemy sense or make companions work with them

It is terrible to see where enemies are in open world missions especially in time critical missions!

We need to see our enemies on the mini map, this is a change which wouldn't make the mechs overpowered, just more fun and enjoyable to play.

Archived