Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

All you need to know about Zephyr in 12 seconds

Traumtulpe

1 hour ago, Traumtulpe said:

if I didn't randomly die all the #*!%ing time.

Could you come post that on my bug thread, just to back it with some evidence?

Thanks @Tiltskillet for linking it.

As a note to why it might be happening, previously Tornado actually used to take enemy ranged damage into account for converting the damage type of Tornado, but I guess with the new, larger area these funnels have, they made it so that the enemy could shoot through it. With that done, maybe Turbulence uses the same function to prevent ranged damage, so when you're behind the Tornado hitbox, shooting through counts for both...

Turbulence deflects bullets, but not status. 

If a bullet has blast (Hello Bombard) it'll stop all the physical damage but that blast is going to kill you.

I can't see how that's not broken, but I'm pretty sure it's always been like that.

It's time to fix that I think.

2 minutes ago, AltheusVI said:

Could it be that turbulence doesn't stop shots that come from within its radius, just shots that come from outside in?

No. Also the enemy shooting me is on the top right (I think), quite far away and well outside of Turbulence.

1 hour ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

With that done, maybe Turbulence uses the same function to prevent ranged damage, so when you're behind the Tornado hitbox, shooting through counts for both...

I don't think that's very likely. I've only tested this before the update, but Turbulence is supposed to just be an invisible wall; it causes projectiles to bounce off, causes beam weapons aimed at it to automatically offset at random directions, and outright blocks hitscan tracers (if you fire enough bullets at Mania you can overwhelm the engine and force it to draw bullet decals in midair). That doesn't sound like the hotbox Tornadoes use

1 hour ago, TARINunit9 said:

I don't think that's very likely. I've only tested this before the update, but Turbulence is supposed to just be an invisible wall

Oh, trust me, I'm not saying this from no experience. I've literally been testing the bug to replicate it and it's very easy to do.

Turbulence is a sphere of influence, otherwise once an enemy stepped inside its range they would be able to shoot you. It adjust the calculations for all hitscan enemies so that they either 'impact' on the outside of it, or 'impact' immediately on the point of the generated point of launch. With projectiles it's a little trickier, but it's a field that takes any projectile and applies momentum in a direction that's away from the centre of Zephyr's model (this is also why negative range isn't so good with Zephyr, because the redirection can be shallow enough that the projectile simply doesn't turn around in time and counts as a hit, it's worse when the player is moving towards a projectile).

So, yeah, I know it sounds odd, but you have to look at this logically, the way a programmer would.

If I know anything about DE's spaghetti coding over the last seven years, it's that they like to re-use functions within their engine.

So, if we break this down; If Zephyr stands behind Tornado's hitbox, enemies can shoot through Turbulence. If she moves out from behind Tornado, the full function of Turbulence is restored.

What has changed in this update? Not Turbulence, according to DE, Tornado has changed.

What is one of the notable changes to Tornado? A larger model and hitbox for both picking up enemies and absorbing damage from the player to pass on.

What is a side-effect of this change? Enemies appear to be able to shoot through this hitbox now, meaning the physical blocking portion of the Tornado funnels has been turned off in this update. It previously did block enemy fire, but this was not obvious because of how erratic it was and how narrow the base model was, it was very noticeable when you had enemies like some Corpus, who have some of their weapons use Electric damage, and the Tornado funnels would turn to Electric funnels when shot. Now the process only appears to work with things like Flame Throwers and eximus Fire Blasts, if that's a high enough damage to change the element from what you've set it to.

Now, the pass-through of a physical object like Tornado is something they have to put into the properties for hitscan and projectile calculations to 'hit' the player. Meaning after the change they would discount Tornado as a physical object in those calculations for line-of-sight.

What could have happened quite easily to cause this bug? This change to the pass-through calculation made it so that it also discounts Turbulence, which is a different kind of 'object' in the game, if, and only if, the direct line of sight requires them to shoot through Tornado's object first.

I've watch DE's changes, bugs and how the fix them for seven years now, at this point there are just some easy ones to spot.

However...

The fact that they were able to patch the other two bugs (the 'Energy Regen from Zenurik not functioning if you entered operator mode from Hover' and the 'Tornado loses the ability to get hit by the player due to a script error' ones) in the last two patches, but they haven't done anything about this... that's troubling.

16 minutes ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

So, yeah, I know it sounds odd, but you have to look at this logically, the way a programmer would.

And after seeing all the weird hitbox shortcuts in games like Mario 64, Team Fortress 2, Super Smash Bros, etc. making Turbulence a simple invisible wall sounds EXACTLY like what a programmer would do

Il y a 7 heures, (PSN)Madurai-Prime a dit :

I guess it's bugged, but you still weren't moving very much and would've died regardless eventually.

Please, explain what do you have in mind. I'm genuinely curious.

Okay, I suppose I'm gonna have to be the one to say it.

...Look, what happened in the clip had NOTHING to do with Turbulence working incorrectly. At all. Look at the clip again. Turbulence deflected the rocket, and it exploded on a nearby surface.

Turbulence doesn't just make projectiles vanish and lose their hitbox. It says right on the description that it REDIRECTS them. They still exist, in other words. When it comes to explosives, you can still be harmed by the AOE effects, especially in close-quarters.

On top of that, shield-gating is freaking OP as hell. You always have a warning to get out of dodge when your shield goes down to a big, single attack.

Turbulence is a godlike tool when used correctly, but it's not an all-purpose panacea. You still have to play the damned game.

I hate to be the one to say it, but that clip was entirely on you; NOT an ability working wrong.

Archived