Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Possible copyright issue with new character Vala?

(XBOX)ScarecrowES

12 hours ago, (XBOX)ScarecrowES said:

-snip-

OP, it's just name similarity. They don't even look alike when you look at Vala from teaser and Claudia Black closely, both have very different face structures and proportions. If anything her face model looks like it is made with a face-app by using Adam Driver's and Cate Blanchett's faces.

2 hours ago, Corvid said:

You know what we need less of in this community?

Armchair Lawyers.

Agreed. 

People said same with Nora Night and similarity with DJ from The Warriors. I swear they do not know what " homage " is and jump into " CopYriGHt inFrIngEMenT " bandwagon without a thought.

It's homage at best, and that is if the name is inspired by Claudia's SG-1 character and not a play on an ancient word for seeress/wand. Right now we dont know enough about what Vala will be, so we cant really say.

edit: And since the update will be called Call of the Tempestarii, which is already a reference to magic and magicians I'm not suprised if Vala is inspired by seeress or wand.

8 hours ago, (NSW)IronElemental said:

Where did that happen? Im pretty familiar with warhammer, having a huge army of Iron Warriors. Nothing in there looks like an acceltra?

When Acceltra dropped similar threads to this one started to appear claiming that the Acceltra was exactly like the Bolter from Warhammer, when those comments started to drop suddenly a portion of the players started parroting that statement to no end until maybe they realized it didn't made them interesting at all so they dropped it. Now it's this thing with Claudia Black, check the youtube video of Vala and read the comments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj_piwLx7gk

This is the same thing with the whole Nemesis thing. 

It's a bunch of armchair lawyering from people who don't know anything about patent law and definitely aren't practicing lawyers. 

Companies like DE have TEAMS of lawyers for stuff like this, and I guarantee you they aren't worried about it, or the Nemesis thing either, for that matter. 

This kind of speculation just creates needless hysteria. Gossiping about it is at best worthless and at worst actually harmful to any kind of meaningful discussion atmosphere. 

4 hours ago, XRosenkreuz said:

To be totally fair, Warframe is a science fiction video game. And if there's one thing I've learned playing such...

...it's that if you just give it long enough, Claudia Black might actually end up voicing a character.

Didn't she voice a character in Destiny 2? One of the vendors.

5 hours ago, Psianide73 said:

Looks more like Cate Blanchette to me.

That was my first thought.

1 hour ago, (NSW)IronElemental said:

Acceltra looking like a Bolter is really far fetched. I cant see it even if i squint really hard. I've never watched farscape or sg1, but i can imagine this is about as striking a likeness as Acceltra is to a Bolter.

It was less the look and more the way it functions (A rapid-fire microrocket launcher). Still tenuous, but at least a shade more logical.

only time a lawsuit would actually stand for something like this is if it was essentially a 1 to 1 comparison, and it was proven DE used the copyrighted character for reference while making the character.

Its actually very easy to get away with almost completely ripping off a character design and not getting into any legal consequences.

1 minute ago, Surbusken said:

No need to worry.

... no one watched stargate sg-1. 

Most famous actor on there did MacGyver in 1985, don't think there is any chance it's going to blow up.

The merits (or lack thereof) of a copyright suit aside, the "chance it's going to blow up" is probably more dependent on who might be able to sue, and who is available to be sued. I doubt the popularity of SG-1 really factors into that decision, even if some of us did watch it. :P

3 hours ago, Surbusken said:

No need to worry.

... no one watched stargate sg-1. 

Most famous actor on there did MacGyver in 1985, don't think there is any chance it's going to blow up.

You're right. SG-1 was unpopular. That's why it went 10 seasons and spawned 2 spin off series 😛 /sarcasm  lol

3 hours ago, elmetnuter said:

Characters names in shows are not copyrighted.

Actually they are. A screenplay/script and all it's contents, including character names fall under Literary Works copyright laws. A tv show/movie and it's contents fall under Motion Picture copyrights. Just like any original musical soundtracks fall under Sound Recording copyrights. Believe it or not, there is actually a Likeness Copyright to protect an actor/performer's likeness so their image or likeness can't be used without permission. Silly huh lol

Archived