Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rivens

parttimeparty

Ahhh rivens. So much could be said. They could be discussed for days. But wtf would you do that?

The question I have is, why do people sell rivens for 3 to 4x what they are worth on the markets.

If I have a riven that's just as good as any on there, if not better, I usually sell it for a fair price, usually a few hundred plat. Rarely do I think any rivens are worth multiple thousands of plat, but I guess anything is worth what people will pay for it.

But my point is this: I almost never sell any of my rivens. Maybe one or two every other week. And I have about 20-30 up there Some are pretty good too.

It just doesn't make any financial sense why people would overcharge.

So how do these people make any plat doing this? Or are they just there to never really sell them, hold on to them, or just flex.

There's this one seller, who I don;t know personally at all, so I hate to say this, but he must be a total loser. However, he has with some outstanding rivens. Check this out though: He re-posts his rivens everyday (so they go to the top) with the same price tag of $99,999, and he does it either just as a "check out what I have flex" or if someone actually "comes with the right offer he may sell." ....I mean, lol. Could you imagine?

used to be a fan of Rivens, but they've long since saturated Trade Chat to the point of nigh non-usability for anything else, and make the already contentious topic of game balance even more of a minefield. that, and I can't really be bothered to keep doing the same unveil challenges anymore. would like an option to unveil Rivens instantly for a fee., or at transmute veiled Rivens; 9/10 times they're only ever for weapons I don't care much for or already have a Riven for. 

31 minutes ago, (PSN)Lollybomb said:

Why would people list rivens for 4x what they're "worth"?

Answered your own question.  If people are buying them at those prices, then people think they're worth it.

But that's what Im saying if you read the whole thing.

I dont think that some of them ARE being sold. I mean, some surely are getting sold, but some are they're there for other reasons entirely.

I really feel like some people have no intention of selling theirs at all.

38 minutes ago, parttimeparty said:

The question I have is, why do people sell rivens for 3 to 4x what they are worth on the markets.

Because people buy them at those prices.

Just now, parttimeparty said:

But that's what Im saying if you read the whole thing. I dont think some of them ARE being sold.

Either the sellers are selling for those prices and know they can keep selling, or they're hoping for someone stupid enough to take their offer.

A simple answer would be greed on the side of the seller, without an actual understanding of supply and demand economics in a free market.

And ignorance/Collectors lust on the side of the buyer that actually buys it with.

Also , It does not really matter what YOU consider fair , what matters is what the seller and buyer consider fair.

I can demand a very high amount for a piece of S#&$ , if you are ignorant or really want my S#&$ you can have it for that price.

On 2021-04-23 at 4:04 PM, parttimeparty said:

Never buy expensive rivens, EVEN IF THEY HAVE THE STATS THAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR. Kuva has never been easier to get. Purchase unrolled, unranked rivens and build them on your own. If you reach 10 rolls and you don't have the stats your looking for, Sell it at a rate that is marginally higher than what you paid for it, unless its trash, then roll it tell you get something that is slightly better and you can make a slight profit.

The only reason why riven sellers are able to charge such outlandish rates is either because some players are inexperienced or SOME PLAYER IS WILLING TO PAY THAT MUCH. You want such rates to be finished from the marketplace, only purchase cheap rivens and build them on your own, just my 2 cents.

So how do these people make any plat doing this? Or are they just there to never really sell them, hold on to them, or just flex.

Some sellers are out of their depth, but in reality, all you need is a bot that's constantly posting WTB Reaper Prime riven for 10p and another posting WTS Reaper Prime riven for 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 plat and a clan mate that's sitting and waiting for someone to respond, could take weeks but you will eventually sell. And since your always in the trade chat, you have 100% coverage i.e. players are always seeing what your posting.

or if someone actually "comes with the right offer he may sell." ....I mean, lol. Could you imagine?

Honestly, its just a matter of time, even though I advocate against buying expensive rivens (I've actually come to a point that I don't even buy rivens to play with them anymore) I, myself, have sold rivens in the 4 digit numbers, it takes weeks and sometimes months but eventually, you do sell. However, it is a full-time commitment. Last year I was on a daily basis, unveiling and selling rivens, making a pretty penny. However, with the current economical environment, have had to get a job and, recently, suddenly noticed I have 100 plus rivens sitting in my modding station for a better part of a year.

20 hours ago, parttimeparty said:

why do people sell rivens for 3 to 4x what they are worth on the markets

They're not "worth" anything. Selling them for literally any amount higher than 0 is already a scam.

That said, there's no rules for prices. If you think someone's gonna be stupid enough to spend 4 paychecks worth of plat on a riven, go ahead.

20 hours ago, parttimeparty said:

The REAL question is do you expect to get Rivens at 25% of their market values? Try to sell your Rivens at 3-4X the market prices, no one will buy buy them.

On the other hand, asking and listed prices are not the actual transactional prices, most Rivens particular the mediocre ones are sold at much lower prices. 

13 minutes ago, George_PPS said:

The REAL question is do you expect to get Rivens at 25% of their market values? Try to sell your Rivens at 3-4X the market prices, no one will buy buy them.

On the other hand, asking and listed prices are not the actual transactional prices, most Rivens particular the mediocre ones are sold at much lower prices. 

I'm referring to "Worth" as an already reasonable  profit

On 2021-04-24 at 12:55 PM, parttimeparty said:

I'm referring to "Worth" as an already reasonable  profit

The "worth" or value of any Riven is determined by the market, popularity and demand, not just your own valuation. You will not want to sell your Rivens cheap and we also know that over priced Rivens don't sell. The free market finds the balance. 

On 2021-04-24 at 1:04 AM, parttimeparty said:

Ahhh rivens. So much could be said. They could be discussed for days. But wtf would you do that?

Because it's a free market. 
If I think that my rivens are worth 75k, then I have the right to sell it for this price. And yes, people do pay a huge amount of plat for god tier rivens.

If I have a riven that's just as good as any on there, if not better, I usually sell it for a fair price, usually a few hundred plat. Rarely do I think any rivens are worth multiple thousands of plat, but I guess anything is worth what people will pay for it.

Well, yes, anything is worth what people think they're worth. Just like I said before, I could sell something for 30pl or 75k, it'll be the same. 
If there's a buyer, good for me, if not, whatever.

But my point is this: I almost never sell any of my rivens. Maybe one or two every other week. And I have about 20-30 up there Some are pretty good too.

It just doesn't make any financial sense why people would overcharge.

Let's say that you have a perfect roll on an Amphis riven, with S+ graded stats (obviously for Khora) : Your riven will be unique, you're the only one offering this on the market. Would you sell it for a regular unrolled/average riven price? For the Amphis, I think it's around 400pl from what I saw. It works just like any supply-and-demand market : there's a lot of demands for a single offer, so yes, it will be expensive. 

People do sell really expensive rivens, either for usage or collection purposes. However, most of the community out there is always crying when they see something out of reach for them. I mean, it's better to make a reddit thread or to throw a temper tantrum on forums about the market rather than trying to understand how a free market is supposed to work. Right? I'm done counting how many times people came up to me ingame just to insult me or cry about how "high [my] prices are". Fun fact : they're not. People are just lazy to grind (how ironic, on a grinding game) and they expect everything to be served to them on a gold plate. 

There's this one seller, who I don;t know personally at all, so I hate to say this, but he must be a total loser. However, he has with some outstanding rivens. Check this out though: He re-posts his rivens everyday (so they go to the top) with the same price tag of $99,999, and he does it either just as a "check out what I have flex" or if someone actually "comes with the right offer he may sell." ....I mean, lol. Could you imagine?

/ignore, and you're done with this guy. There will be trolls and guys trying to flex, but what can you do? 

• 2 weeks later...
vor 29 Minuten schrieb parttimeparty:

Rivens should not be worse than regular mods.

They aren't though. You just have to roll pretty much perfectly for a slightly better mod respectively a sidegrade. I'd probably replace Berserker or Primed Fury with like 30% CDmg, 40%ASpd and negative slide crit on a good chunk of melee weapons for example.

The intention for Rivens is to buff bad weapons to make them more competitive against good weapons, so if good weapons could get powerful Rivens, the system would be irrelevant. If a weapon has such a low disposition that Rivens are useless, it's probably already powerful enough to do any content that matters without a Riven.

I know it sucks to see your Rivens get nerfed away, but it's pretty easy to see the writing on the wall for weapons that get all the way down to 0.6-0.5. And having weapons start at 0.5 is definitely better than them starting at a higher level then getting worse with every change; you get buffs instead of nerfs.

15 hours ago, YUNoJump said:

The intention for Rivens is to buff bad weapons to make them more competitive against good weapons, so if good weapons could get powerful Rivens, the system would be irrelevant. If a weapon has such a low disposition that Rivens are useless, it's probably already powerful enough to do any content that matters without a Riven.

I know it sucks to see your Rivens get nerfed away, but it's pretty easy to see the writing on the wall for weapons that get all the way down to 0.6-0.5. And having weapons start at 0.5 is definitely better than them starting at a higher level then getting worse with every change; you get buffs instead of nerfs.

You say that but prime access weapons tend to be pretty old weapons and since they're considered "new weapons"  they start at 0.5 as all new variants start at 0.5 so, for example, halikar wraith recently came out and it is absolutely terrible in stats.  I'm talking 1/3rd of regular haliak with an Identical build using a riven.  

Even a terrible riven will make old as hell halikar leagues stronger than halikar wraith.  Halikar was already a meh glaive made usable with a riven. Halikar wraith though has slightly higher stats but now can't be saved with a riven. 

Same goes for pandero and tenora prime.  why would I even buy them with real money when they're inferior weapons to several year old variants?   

The issue isn't just new weapons being terrible with rivens but old weapons made new again with a variant being terrible compared to older variants.  

Sure base stats are sometimes slightly higher on prime variants but that hardly matters when you can offset that small difference with a old riven on the old variant and then some. 

I fear for astilla and volnus that are probably coming with gara prime.  I've waited so many years for them and expect them to be absolutely terrible.  my excitement for new primes has dropped considerably.  

New primes are fine for newer players as they don't use rivens but for a lot of players who have been here for awhile, we've gotten rivens for our favorite weapons.  fine tuning builds is a core part of the game. 

New weapons starting at 0.5 I can get since they don't test a lot of weapons before they come out(Bramma drama) but old weapons made new again through primes they want me to spend real money on?  lol 

18 hours ago, parttimeparty said:

Rivens should not be worse than regular mods.

As noted, they can be sidegrades when first released at .5 disposition to prevent new ones immediately tanking after everyone is excited about a new weapon. Just because you fail to understand this and expect all rivens to boost everything to over 9000 doesn't mean it is a problem.

18 hours ago, parttimeparty said:

Im going  to start posting about this sem-regularly until it changes.

Oh, ok then. Between this and other posts, I know what I need to do.

2 hours ago, wizardeiges said:

-snip-

You're describing an intended feature. Previously, all new weapons released with 1.0 Disposition. This meant that there was a super-toxic market surge for Rivens whenever a new weapon was released, or even if a Prime was leaked (as people could pre-farm Rivens for the base weapon). After release, the Riven Dispos were nerfed on many of these weapons, making the Rivens less valuable and essentially scamming anyone who bought or minmaxed one. This obviously felt like absolute crap, so DE set all new weapons to 0.5, so Rivens can only get stronger.

Yes, the Halikar Wraith is probably worse than the Halikar if you have already got a good Riven. However, you can safely assume that with the next Disposition changes, the Halikar Wraith will become much more viable. If the old system was in place, the Halikar Wraith would already be stronger, but there's a decent chance you'd have to watch it get worse instead of better. The system doesn't reward you with instant gratitude, but it does primarily make weapons stronger over time instead of weaker.

And of course, weapon variants being weaker than their base is only an issue to the minority of people who actually use Rivens on lots of weapons. To anyone who hasn't bothered to keep a Halikar Riven (I'd imagine over 95% of players), this is a non-issue. Same goes for most Primes; there are so many weapons in the game that even the average Riven user probably doesn't bother keeping Rivens for the vast majority of them.

At 0.5 disposition you require a perfect riven to even be slottable without reducing your over-all dps. This means that low dispo you are absolutely required to have a perfect or near perfect riven for it to ever be useable. 0.5 disposition existing isn't an issue, as a bottom line it makes sense, however the fact that newly released weapons have 0.5 disposition is an issue. The very minimum new weapons should have for disposition is 0.75, anything below this effectively means you need to wait 6+ months for disposition buffs for an imperfect riven to actually be effectively useable at all.

Archived