Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

It takes almost half a year to collect all the incarnon adapters- Timegated FOMO is the wrong direction for WF

Kaiga

So there's 5 weapons per rotation, but you can only get two a week. So every six weeks, you only get 12 out of 30 weapons.
That means you have to play for 18 weeks to get one adapter for each weapon, this is assuming you have enough time for the hours of grind the steel path circuit takes, and uh...

If you miss a week due to irl circumstances or otherwise can't play, it's another 5 weeks of waiting for a chance at that rotation. See you next year!
That is completely insane. This type of FOMO nonsense started with tau shards, and if you've ever played destiny 2, you'll know what i mean about being a slave to rotations.

This is the wrong direction for warframe to take, since they're adding more in future, making this time gate even longer. Games shouldn't be a second job.

EDIT 7/27: because the thread merge is used as a tool to consolidate negative feedback around here:

Now the most recent wave of incarnons are purchasable with platinum, to skip the gate entirely. Looks like we were right in this being a thing that's staying.

5 minutes ago, vanaukas said:

It's confirmed that it's exactly the same rotation each week*, like archons? Like, no possibility of having some weapons again in the following week?

According to the update notes:

image.png

I have a serious question here:
Why do you need everything to have the incarnon mode when some of them, even with the incarnon adapter, are going to still suck to the point you won't really use it?

I mean sure, it is the new shiny....but this is rediculous...especially for the weapons that don't have a version that'll be useful in higher level content.
For example say you get the "Furis" incarnon genesis....so what?  Will that suddenly make the weapon usable above level 10 in any way shape or form?  Or will it still be a bottom of the barrel useless weapon that you immediately shelve?

Incarnon can provide some benefits but I seriously doubt it's going to be enough to make some weapons usable/fun....so why all the bother and worry about getting the stuff?

I do agree that a game shouldn't be a second job...but maybe some of that is on you to not push yourself to get everything even when you know ahead of time that you won't enjoy it or use it after getting it.

So you've never heard of prime vault/resurgence, nightwave, alerts, the founder program, or event rewards?

Time limited things and "fomo" are absolutely nothing new to the game so don't start pretending like it is. And even then the adaptors are only going to be an issue for the diehard collectors who also can't semi consistently invest some time into the game.

Yes it is a long-term grind that'll take even longer if you skip a rotation or two. But it's all for an incredibly optional system that only matters if the applicable weapons are a personal favorite of yours. As there's no way any of these actually make the weapons a viable option that rivals anything within the mid to top tiers of weapons we already have. And it especially won't matter in relation to the level of content the game offers anywhere.

On 2023-04-29 at 10:23 AM, Tsukinoki said:

Will that suddenly make the weapon usable above level 10 in any way shape or form?

Incarnon can provide some benefits but I seriously doubt it's going to be enough to make some weapons usable/fun....so why all the bother and worry about getting the stuff?

Yes, the testing is showing that the incarnon forms of the braton/paris for example, are capable of mowing down 190+ enemies and it's not a stretch to imagine that better weapons like the hate and atomos will be among the most powerful.

You don't *need* all 30 incarnons to play the game and have fun, but then again you don't need more than a properly modded braton, that arguement is silly.

Don't act like there's any actual endgame content besides collecting stuff. Because there isn't. 

On 2023-04-29 at 10:25 AM, (PSN)Lollybomb said:

It's hardly FOMO if the items never actually go away.  Just because they're on a recurring schedule instead of available 100% of the time doesn't mean you're going to miss out on them.  You can still get them.  Maybe not this week, but there's always next time.

5 weeks is an absurdly long "next time". People finish entire games in that length of time nowdays. 
I used to think this before they said they planned on expanding the incarnon genesis system, making this time gate even longer. Do you realize how many underpowered weapons this game has?

Hundreds

1 hour ago, Tsukinoki said:

Why do you need everything to have the incarnon mode when some of them, even with the incarnon adapter, are going to still suck to the point you won't really use it?

I mean sure, it is the new shiny....but this is rediculous...especially for the weapons that don't have a version that'll be useful in higher level content.
For example say you get the "Furis" incarnon genesis....so what?  Will that suddenly make the weapon usable above level 10 in any way shape or form?  Or will it still be a bottom of the barrel useless weapon that you immediately shelve?

I do agree that a game shouldn't be a second job...but maybe some of that is on you to not push yourself to get everything even when you know ahead of time that you won't enjoy it or use it after getting it.

While I don't need to have everything, there are a few weapons from the list that piqued my interest and curiosity.

I quite like how Braton Vandal handles and I really like the feeling of Vasto Prime. Whatever buffs they get will be welcome, so I'm getting those for sure. Furis has the augment that gives it life steal. Mine has a great Riven and it can handle SP but struggles a lot. Incarnon buffs could make it godly and OP. That aside, I just want it to be better so I can use it as my go to source for Kubrow healing.

I'm quite interested to see the buffs Vasto, Lex, and Lato receive and what will their Incarnon forms do. I hope it won't be a copy paste...

Most of the weapons don't interest me and I won't be getting them unless their Incarnon form turns out to be ridiculously fun. Something like dual wielding Magistar or having Hate, Dread, and Despair equipped and turning them all Incarnon will turn you into Stalker.

Since you don't know what the weapon will do it kinda forces you to want to have everything.

hace 1 hora, Tsukinoki dijo:

This is exactly why random loud-out mechanic its silly and boring.

On the one hand, there are people justifying that everyone should have all the weapons with builds and forms in the game, even though the vast majority are not even necessary. On the other hand the game itself is like "but will you really need this incarnon?"

B R U H

Whenever it will be bad or not it depends on player.

1 hour ago, (PSN)Lollybomb said:

It's hardly FOMO if the items never actually go away.  Just because they're on a recurring schedule instead of available 100% of the time doesn't mean you're going to miss out on them.  You can still get them.  Maybe not this week, but there's always next time.

What will happen if you get busy, forget etc stuff you want for few weeks (e.g. 3x 5th week)? It's almost 4 months.

1 hour ago, trst said:

So you've never heard of prime vault/resurgence, nightwave, alerts, the founder program, or event rewards?

Time limited things and "fomo" are absolutely nothing new to the game so don't start pretending like it is. And even then the adaptors are only going to be an issue for the diehard collectors who also can't semi consistently invest some time into the game.

Yes it is a long-term grind that'll take even longer if you skip a rotation or two. But it's all for an incredibly optional system that only matters if the applicable weapons are a personal favorite of yours. As there's no way any of these actually make the weapons a viable option that rivals anything within the mid to top tiers of weapons we already have. And it especially won't matter in relation to the level of content the game offers anywhere.

Most of the things you have mentioned are available elsewhere, even if it's not exact form (e.g. normal vs prime frame). I wanted 3x Energize from nightwave because I didn't want to pay hundreds for them. However nothing stopped me from doing some random plat farm to earn 300p & buy that Energizes. Can I buy Genesis adapters? I would buy them.

Sure. You could make the argument that you dont need every incarnon genesis. I absolutely get that. Just like you dont need to play The Circus. Or warframe at all. In fact we could all just delete the game entirely and move on with our lives.

But thars besides the point. The real question is why does it need to be like this in the first place. Whats the upside. What purpose does that serve? 

I personally dont care about getting all of them. I wanna try strun and soma. And if i cant grind that much in those weeks i gotta wait several more weeks because why?

2 hours ago, Kaiga said:

So there's 5 weapons per rotation, but you can only get two a week. So every six weeks, you only get 12 out of 30 weapons.
That means you have to play for 18 weeks to get one adapter for each weapon, this is assuming you have enough time for the hours of grind the steel path circuit takes, and uh...

If you miss a week due to irl circumstances or otherwise can't play, it's another 5 weeks of waiting for a chance at that rotation. See you next year!
That is completely insane. This type of FOMO nonsense started with tau shards, and if you've ever played destiny 2, you'll know what i mean about being a slave to rotations.

This is the wrong direction for warframe to take. Games shouldn't be a second job.

I really. Really. Dont like this time gated content direction. Its bad enough theres a limit of 1 tau shard a week and now 2 of these S#&$s a week but if it was at least "you get an incarnon adapter you pick a compatible weapon" that would be more tolerable.

2 hours ago, (PSN)Lollybomb said:

You must not know what fomo is because the incarnon adapters are exactly that.

Meh. 

• Week 1: Braton (acquired), Lato (acquired), Skana (Interested), Paris, Kunai
  • Week 2: Bo (Interested), Latron, Furis, Furax, Strun (Interested)
  • Week 3: Lex, Magistar, Boltor, Bronco, Ceramic Dagger
  • Week 4: Torid, Dual Toxocyst, Dual Ichor, Miter, Atomos (Interested)
  • Week 5: Ack & Brunt (Interested), Soma (Interested), Vasto, Nami Solo, Burston
  • Week 6: Zylok, Sibear, Dread (Interested), Despair, Hate (Interested)

Anything not marked, my response is a hearty and resounding 'lolno'.

EDIT: What I'm getting at here is this. There's thirty weapons on the list. You absolutely do not have to get an incarnon for every one of them. I'm a veteran player and I only give a damn about ten out of the thirty...and I've already gotten two of those! This is a problem of perspective. DE put out a list of weapon upgrades which is explicitly designed to encourage players to choose what they want and work towards it. It's not on DE if y'all are deciding that the point is to get them all as fast as possible.

2 hours ago, trst said:

Just because fomo isn't new (many examples of it in game) doesn't make it ok or a trend they should continue.

Wrong direction? This is Warframe. Day 1 playing this game, you see a time gate in Foundry. All events? FOMO tactic... and it's always been this way.

But yeah, I otherwise agree with you OP. Although I do think a little FOMO/time gating is OK, but now DE is stacking up more of these FOMO items in parallel. You have Nightwave FOMO, Archon Shard FOMO, Duviri FOMO, sometimes with coincident GoTL/Event/Anniversary FOMO? The weekly "chores" are stacking up and the opportunity cost of missing some of them can be high. Well, it's only through many complaints that Nightwave FOMO was softened with recoverable weekly challenges.

2 hours ago, trst said:

This is a bit of a red herring flood.

-Prime vault/event items are attainable year round in other ways, namely invasions/trading.
-Nightwave/many prime vault contents are rewards from other things (arcanes, boosters) or are cosmetic with no impact on gameplay.
-The founders program is irrelevant as it's no longer accessible, it's not a time gate if the gate is permanently shut.

Just now, Kaiga said:

-Nightwave/many prime vault contents are rewards from other things (arcanes, boosters) or are cosmetic with no impact on gameplay.

No, for newer players, this is the only practical way to get potatoes aside of buying them with plat. And there is aura mods for those newer players.

17 minutes ago, (XBOX)Shodian said:

It's time gated so you have a reason to come back next week and keep playing. It not difficult to understand.

A 5 week (possibly more, new incarnon are coming) punishment because you couldn't play that week to get the thing you wanted sounds like the opposite of a system that keeps players coming back for more lmao

The time gate is so long that it might as well be FOMO to most people

1 minute ago, Kaiga said:

A 5 week (possibly more, new incarnon are coming) punishment because you couldn't play that week to get the thing you wanted sounds like the opposite of a system that keeps players coming back for more lmao

The time gate is so long that it might as well be FOMO to most people

Right, the key here is the opportunity cost that makes it indisputably FOMO... not simply that it will come back.

Extreme example: Don't worry about missing Vastilock from Tennocon. This is not FOMO! They'll bring it back somehow a year or two later. And this is a very common for event-based weapons.

3 hours ago, Tsukinoki said:

What's exactly the point? You don't really need anything in Warframe. You don't even really need to play Warframe. So I guess Warframes don't really want the players to stay in the game also? Why would a game design something with "players don't really need any of them so I just make things not really accessible" in mind? It sounds like a stupid excuse for unreasonable game design.

FOMO is a term used for content that is available for only a limited time and, after that time period, won't be available again. It also applies to sales on stuff. People feel like they are missing out on an opportunity to save money, so they are more inclined to buy something even if they feel they don't need it.

A time gate is limiting any sort of progression by putting some sort of barrier in between when you get access to the item.

FOMO in Warframe isn't THAT common, although it shows up from time to time. Founders pack, scarlet spear (sorta), the old story events that are never coming back.

Time gating in warframe however, is VERY common. Any wait time on gear, nightwave challenges, thermia fractures, ghoul events, etc you could name a bunch of them because they are core to warframe's design.

Time gating is usually used to stretch out content so players have something to do while the devs work on the next piece of content, although its negative for the player, its necessary for the devs to keep up in a live service game. If there wasn't a cap on certain items then players would burn through the content within a week and demand another update from DE.

From a players perspective its annoying, but if you see the other side its kinda needed for players not to burn through stuff at a MUCH faster rate than DE can produce it.

Archived