Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My son had a seizure due to this game and the players.....AGAIN

Maracely

Another issue that has been going on for years you ignore, and it caused my kid to have not 1 but 2 seizures both times it was during a run with players using blast weapons like the zarr or envoy. It seems its due to your inability to fix the players who thinks it's funny to use WHITE for blast damage. It causes a blinding light to fill entire screen and I can't get it to stop even with lowest settings. Ask the people to not do it and guess what? They follow you in game shooting in your face the entire time trying to cause problems...awesome group of players i say and not any way to deal with it but leave.

FIX THIS DAMN PROBLEM AND FORBID BRIGHT OR LIGHT COLORS BEING USED ON WEAPON EFFECTS.

• Like 4

Yes, this game is atrocious when it comes to blinding colours, and there is a ton of work that could be done for accessibility. But many games have flashing lights, it's you and your son's responsibility to be careful. Why is your kid playing a game known to be a strobe light session?

Edited by Pakaku
  • Like 18

I don't mean to sound rude, but Warframe is well known to have loads of flashing lights and effects. If your son has issues with this sort of thing why would you blame the game devs... seems like it might not be a good idea to encourage your son playing games like this. Especially since you've identified it is a problem. 

Warframe probably should have an epilepsy warning but I think it falls onto both the affected person and any parent/guardian to make wise decisions regarding content usage. 

It isn't DE's responsibility to police content exposure. Nor is it their responsibility to make a product that doesn't trigger seizures in people with epilepsy.

Edited by Leqesai
  • Like 22

i am not susceptible so i don't know, but, do these two settings help?
i assume they should.

KSwL7Le.png

reducing Effects intensity to a very, very low value and reducing ally Effects, i assume will make them have very low persistence and rendered strength - and that should help?

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, taiiat said:

i assume they should.

KSwL7Le.png

reducing Effects intensity to a very, very low value and reducing ally Effects, i assume will make them have very low persistence and rendered strength - and that should help?

Good suggestion, but "Reduce Teammate Visual Effects" is inconsistent at best.  It works really well on some, like I can barely even see ally Thermal Sunders.  But others, like newer incarnon explosion effects, are unaffected.  My guess is that it's something that DE has to program on an individual basis. and that they sometimes forget it exists.  Nightwatch Napalm used to completely ignore it.  Eventually DE fixed that.

• Like 9

Just now, sunderthefirmament said:

My guess is that it's something that DE has to program on an individual basis. and that they sometimes forget it exists.  Nightwatch Napalm used to completely ignore it.  Eventually DE fixed that.

hmm, yeah i could see that being something that's all manual hand work.

2 hours ago, taiiat said:

i assume they should.

KSwL7Le.png

This help me a lot when those K Zarr, Thermal Sunder Spammer "forget" to change their color on quick misssion. Didn't really help my Bubonico secondary/alt attack tho 😁. It's like walking on a smoke bomb (if you change energy to black)

2 hours ago, Maracely said:

not 1 but 2 seizures both times

Let me tell you what you can do it now, without DE even doing anything (I've seen topics from 2021 so..)... don't let your son play the game. You should google game before allowing your kid play it.

Oh, and in case your son still plays it, DON'T LET HIM PLAY VOID STORM (RJ VOID FISSURES). Not sure how it changed but it was HUGE flashing lights that even I folk without such problem had eye fatigue.

3 hours ago, Maracely said:

Ask the people to not do it and guess what? They follow you in game shooting in your face the entire time trying to cause problems...awesome group of players i say and not any way to deal with it but leave.

Play solo.

3 hours ago, Maracely said:

FIX THIS DAMN PROBLEM AND FORBID BRIGHT OR LIGHT COLORS BEING USED ON WEAPON EFFECTS.

What if someone likes it? What next don't do X because it triggers Y? That would probably make game look/sounds/x much less that it is now. That's not how it should be done.

(Team) Effect intensify should be responsible for such stuff.

• Like 8

It doesnt sound like it is an easy fix if they added that reduced vfx option in setting and didnt have an outright  "turn off" option.  Maybe they can keep working on that option.   That was only added like less than a year ago.

But yeah if your kid has this problem you should tell him that he should only group up with friends who know his situation and wont use those weapons/colors.   Thats his only real option if he doesnt wanna give up warframe.  

• Like 1

So you as a parent...

-you know your son has a condition like that and what is triggering his seizures.

-you do not make sure that he plays computer games that are not triggering his seizures (guess what, there are literally countless other games released without such flashy graphics...)

-you, even with all the other game options out there still let him play THIS game,  which is widely known for VERY flashy visual effects and quicky flashy gameplay everywhere.

-you do not even check game settings to reduce effect intensity and teammate effect intensity in the game.

-you still let him play Warframe after it triggered seizures in him.

-you press 5 and transfer into Karen Prime immediately demanding that the entire game and playerbase be banned from using bright colors in effects, which most players tend to enjoy using, just so your single personal issue originating from your ignorant bad parenting would be accomodated for.

Class A parenting right there.

• Like 15

1. A SMALL PERCENTAGE OF USERS MAY EXPERIENCE EPILEPTIC SEIZURES WHEN EXPOSED TO CERTAIN LIGHT PATTERNS OR BACKGROUNDS ON A COMPUTER SCREEN OR WHILE USING THE WEBSITE OR THE SERVICE. CERTAIN CONDITIONS MAY INDUCE PREVIOUSLY UNDETECTED EPILEPTIC SYMPTOMS EVEN IN USERS WHO HAVE NO HISTORY OF PRIOR SEIZURES OR EPILEPSY. IF YOU, OR ANYONE IN YOUR FAMILY, HAVE AN EPILEPTIC CONDITION, CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN PRIOR TO USING THE SERVICE. IMMEDIATELY DISCONTINUE USE OF THE SERVICE AND CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN IF YOU EXPERIENCE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING SYMPTOMS WHILE USING THE SERVICE: DIZZINESS, ALTERED VISION, EYE OR MUSCLE TWITCHES, LOSS OF AWARENESS, DISORIENTATION, ANY INVOLUNTARY MOVEMENT, OR CONVULSIONS.

https://www.warframe.com/terms

As long as you agree to this EULA (and as long as the EULA isn’t terminated—see Section 21), we grant you permission to access and use our Services. If you break the rules or can’t agree, we can’t let you play.Please ensure your system and devices meet the minimum requirements for the Game. Also, if you suffer from an epileptic condition, please talk to a doctor before playing the Game.

• Seizure Warning. The Game may contain flashing lights, images, and other luminous stimulations which may induce epileptic seizures in certain individuals. If you or anyone in your household has an epileptic condition, please consult your doctor before playing any Game. If you experience dizziness, altered vision, eye or muscle twitches, loss of awareness, disorientation, any involuntary movement, or convulsions while playing, please immediately discontinue playing the Game and consult your doctor.

https://www.warframe.com/eula

Please don't risk your kid becoming blind or worse over a videogame. Even if said kid loves this game, it's your role as a parent to protect him - the game should have been uninstalled right after the first seizure occurred.

Edited by Chewarette
  • Like 16

Sliders or no sliders, this is not the type of game someone prone to seizures should play at all.

What if your kid decides to go climb the Everest? Are you going to buy him the gear, the plane ticket, share with him the routes, and then when they get hurt blame Nepal for not making the Everest kid friendly? Why would you let our encourage your kid to participate in an activity that could harm him?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Maracely said:

Another issue that has been going on for years you ignore, and it caused my kid to have not 1 but 2 seizures both times it was during a run with players using blast weapons like the zarr or envoy. It seems its due to your inability to fix the players who thinks it's funny to use WHITE for blast damage. It causes a blinding light to fill entire screen and I can't get it to stop even with lowest settings. Ask the people to not do it and guess what? They follow you in game shooting in your face the entire time trying to cause problems...awesome group of players i say and not any way to deal with it but leave.

Although other posters have drilled in the correct message (read SLA and do not expose your son further), I have to request this from you:

1) Can you please take some time to read the SLA/ Terms and Conditions? This is an extremely fun and addicting game and, since this is an adult rated game, I really want the maximum care for your son to be taken into account.

2) Could you be more careful about accusing a company of ignoring something when that is false? DE has done a helluva lot to make this game as accessible as possible. However, there are billions of people in this world and there's no way they can create a solution for all of them. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Maracely said:

Don't take me the wrong way, but have you tried adjusting the screen brightness and contrast to a more darker tone that won't cause problems. How about sunglasses when he plays the game?

With respect, your child had a seizure from playing this game.  In spite of that, you allowed him to play it again.  That's on you, not the developers.

You can request that the developers make a setting of some kind that would better accommodate your child by making a post in the feedback forum.  However, you should do so with the understanding that DE may not be able to make such an accommodation; they have limited time and resources to make this game, so by necessity they can't fulfill everyone's requests.  But it's always worth a shot; just be sure to offer constructive criticism and be respectful if you genuinely want them to listen to your feedback: https://forums.warframe.com/forum/18-art-animation-ui/

One possible way to allow your child to continue to play Warframe would be to turn off public matchmaking; if the only effects that are an issue for your child are those created by players, then by only playing with trusted friends, or by playing solo, you can proactively play in a safer environment.

• Like 1

Having an option to mute or clamp chroma level and Brightness values for FX (in Options > Graphics ) would be desirable.

Hell, it might already be there. I've been separated from my PS5... weeks now.

Hell.

Edited by Mieo_Mio
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Zahnny said:

I don't want to claim the OP is lying, but checking their only other post on the forums I find it a bit strange they're discussing another Epilepsy inducing frame but mention nothing about Epilepsy.

Based on the post in this thread, the TC and their son have their own accounts. You're trying to draw correlation between two separate issues. The dad having an issue with Mirage does not imply the son uses Mirage...

Not to mention the post is from 3 years ago.

Focus on the issue at hand, don't try and throw the TC under the bus for something that was:

A: brought up years ago

and

B: not necessarily related to the topic's issue whatsoever

On 2023-07-25 at 8:15 PM, Maracely said:

>forbid bright or light colors from being used

There is a zero percent chance that will ever happen. 

They might improve the "reduce teammate visual effects". Maybe. But that isnt ever going to be a perfect solution.

I hate to be "that guy" but if someone has photosensitive epilepsy they probably shouldnt be playing warframe or videogames known to be stroby *period*. Why risk it. He could get hurt. 

At least play solo or with people you know wont do that.

On 2023-07-25 at 8:22 PM, Pakaku said:

Yes, this game is atrocious when it comes to blinding colours, and there is a ton of work that could be done for accessibility. But many games have flashing lights, it's you and your son's responsibility to be careful. Why is your kid playing a game known to be a strobe light session?

This. 

On 2023-07-25 at 8:30 PM, Leqesai said:

I don't mean to sound rude, but Warframe is well known to have loads of flashing lights and effects. If your son has issues with this sort of thing why would you blame the game devs... seems like it might not be a good idea to encourage your son playing games like this. Especially since you've identified it is a problem. 

Warframe probably should have an epilepsy warning but I think it falls onto both the affected person and any parent/guardian to make wise decisions regarding content usage. 

It isn't DE's responsibility to police content exposure. Nor is it their responsibility to make a product that doesn't trigger seizures in people with epilepsy.

Im sure there is epilepsy warnings in the front end fine print nobody reads. 

• Like 1

There is a significant responsibility on the parent to make sure their kids don't do things harmful to themselves.

So it's best they don't play warframe in the first place. That is its own thing

With that being said , I am one of players that has sensitivity to light. And i absolutely hate the disco rave feat in acid the game can become and will fight for the ability to play with no fear of blinding pain.

The reduced visual effects options are very inconsistent , they work sometimes and sometimes they don't. It also has the negative effect of reducing some effects to the point of being almost invisible. Impacting playability. 

I have been highlighting this for years now.

• Like 1