Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tennokai - Weapons that really benefit? Your opinion

jeopardy2808

Hello my fellow Tenno!

I would like to know of you which melee weapon you think benefits very much of Tennokai?

I tried it with NIkana Prime and Orthos Prime so far and i have to admit that i see a bit more dmg on those weapons
making more heavy attacks with them. But it feels like a "nah, i thought it will be a bit more".

What do you think? Which weapon do you use and you would say benefits a lot more of Tennokai?

Thanks!

I'm kinda having a blast with my favorite weapons. I'd say mostly weapons with a pre-disposition to work with heavy attacks, specially if you consider building for a combo-heavy attack hybrid, which is what I'm trying to do in most cases. 

So far I think both Ekhein, per its unique bonus on heavy attacks, as well as the Sampotes, which has a very nice ground slam radius, I find pretty good with Tennokai. Specially when you bring in Kullervo, which takes them to a whole other level. I believe the Sampotes ground slam does not benefit from Tennokai, sadly (it should) but at least it allows us to dish out normal heavy attacks at no combo cost.

As for other more standard-ish weapons I like, I'm seriously having absolute fun with my Prisma Ohma, Guandao Prime and my Red Crit Nikana Zaw. In an even more awesome note, I tried this on Galatine Prime (because despite being rather old it's still a very beautiful blade) and I found that it benefited greatly from Tennokai, and I do intend to use it more in the near future.

Edited by (PSN)Hikuro-93

It helps all of them.

Obviously melee weapons which already had strong heavy attack builds benefit.

But then there's weapons that have heavy attacks which are good, but not worth building for. For example Venka Prime (Claws in general) has a very strong heavy attack with a slash proc but it's a forward stab. So even if it is very good for obliterating a single tough target in the middle of a group, you will never build for it. With Tennokai you can actually use it for its inteded purpose now. It's a similar story with all weapons with single target focused heavies.

Edited by LocoWithGun
  • Like 2

I struggle to utilise Tennokai because if I focus on Heavy Attacks, my existing builds don't need it at all, and if I try to go hybrid I keep worrying about my combo counter decay.

I'd appreciate if we got a melee Arcane that would stop melee combo decay, like some of the Tenet melee weapons do innately.

• Like 2

the duviri melees all have their own special heavy attacks, those are interesting.

daggers are VERY good because of the 12x damage slash procs. 

hysteria with tennokai is great, and so is tennokai on anything with AOE heavy attacks. apparently it works alright with glaives too. 

• Like 2

I haven't really bothered with it as I feel it puts an unnecessary gate on a playstyle , 

But if I were to take a guess , I imagine it would be good on most weapons but will be especially great in weapons used for heavy builds.

And absolutely phenomenal on loadouts where you can maintain the melee combo some way in addition to just attacking with light attacks (pause timer when sheathed , naramon , high efficiency etc.) 

I haven't had as much opportunity to test it out as much as I would like to, and I am also yet to get all the Tennokai mods either, and for someone like myself, that could be a significant variable as far as how effective or interesting it could be. I may also have to make some adjustments to potential builds as well. 

All that aside though, the two weapons I have been using the system for, have been great. The Hate Incarnon and the Pennant. Both already have excellent Heavy Attacks, and I just view as net upgrades. I need to do more testing on melee weapons with more unusual combos or heavy melee though, especially those that may not have wide swings or range, or combos that may push enemies away, but also again, I am sort of waiting until I get more Tennokai mods to see what their effects may be, and I may have to Forma some weapons (I used the Pennant with Wisp for example, since I find the increase in attack speed helps overcome what I find to be an annoying stance, then Heavy Attacks do huge damage). 

Corufell and ceramic dagger. 

I've been building my melee weapons for combo/ quick attack and replacing organ shatter with the amalgam version. 

Both these weapons work pretty well (ceramic working MUCH better than corufell) with a hybrid setup. Ceramic dagger is actually pretty strong set up like this. 

I've also tried my machete wraith with Cyclone Kraken. It's basically spin to win all over again. 

There are a few weapons for which it would be really good but for which it doesn't work because DE didn't implement Slide-Heavies.

They added heavy slams to it, so hopefully Slide-Heavies can get added to the Tennokai system as well. 

As for stuff I've been using - Zenistar? Not having to invest in Heavy Attack efficiency to keep the puddle melting people is convenient. 

2 hours ago, ShogunGunshow said:

There are a few weapons for which it would be really good but for which it doesn't work because DE didn't implement Slide-Heavies.

They added heavy slams to it, so hopefully Slide-Heavies can get added to the Tennokai system as well. 

As for stuff I've been using - Zenistar? Not having to invest in Heavy Attack efficiency to keep the puddle melting people is convenient. 

Have you tried Zemistar with Magnetic and Vortex arcane? It's actually hilarious.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Otaiken said:

It helps all of them.

Obviously melee weapons which already had strong heavy attack builds benefit.

But then there's weapons that have heavy attacks which are good, but not worth building for. For example Venka Prime (Claws in general) has a very strong heavy attack with a slash proc but it's a forward stab. So even if it is very good for obliterating a single tough target in the middle of a group, you will never build for it. With Tennokai you can actually use it for its inteded purpose now. It's a similar story with all weapons with single target focused heavies.

Great point. Giving single target weapons a more consistent and faster heavy attack opens up a lot of possibilities with serious, even reducing the need for typical meta builds due to just how much raw damage produced. You may no longer have to rely on a corrosive build just to power through heavy gunners, for example, and could now try utilizing less used elements that have very powerful synergy mods. 

As for which of my weapons work great with Tennokai, I would say the Incarnon Sancti Magistar has now become absolutely beyond busted. Wide strikes, healing pulses and a powerful heavy attack that comes out very fast makes for an unbeatable combination!! The support mods and arcanes only make it even more extraordinary.

10 hours ago, Circle_of_Psi said:

I'm gonna try it on the Syam, I'm hoping it helps it out a bit.

While the Syam it's as great as the NIkana Prime in terms of overall DPS (Light attacks) it still seems to slightly struggle with steel path (or at least my build does) so I'm gonna have to try improve it somehow.

I'm gonna try it with as much Heavy Attack speed as possible, and finally go full Vergil... gonna Judgement Nut so hard..

Kept You Waiting Video Games GIF by CAPCOM

I AM THE STORM THAT IS APPROOOOOACHING!!! 

DE said that Slide Heavy will be fixed to work with Tennokai meaning Tenet Grigori will be back.

Right now Ergo Glast has Grigori with 26% Magnetic, don't miss it! Melee Vortex is real. 

Look for Agendus magnetic as well. Agendus innate electric could use Vortex and Influence. Vortex+Agendus Projectile on Tennokai sounds nasty

Edited by crazywolfpusher

On 2023-12-20 at 12:37 PM, jeopardy2808 said:

What do you think? Which weapon do you use and you would say benefits a lot more of Tennokai?

Any weapon that has access to a particularly fast stance, bonus for special heavy attacks, forced slash on heavy attacks, good hitboxes on said stances, and exceptional crit stats.

Really, the value of a fast stance cannot be overstated, it's the difference between a free heavy attack every 1.1 seconds, and a free heavy attack every 4 seconds.

That being said, here is what I currently enjoy using:

yk1hBmg.png

Free heavy attacks every 1.4 seconds (base), absolutely massive critical stats - the Skana was terrible at killing groups due to it's 0.6 follow through, but with Melee Influence (and on Saryn) it is a complete monster.

mQTnLUk.png

Free heavy attacks every 1.1 seconds (base), 0.8 follow through and forced slash on it's heavy attack. You can also make it deal Corrosive (from the Arcane) and Radiation, by replacing Weeping Wounds with an Electricity mod (or on Volt!) - great for killing anything resistant to Slash procs, like bosses. Sinking Talon also has pretty wide hitboxes.

Nepheri also doesn't need Melee Exposure (because of the Slash procs), so you could use Melee Fortification or Melee Vortex (with a Magnetic primer - which could have Primary Obstruct on it!). Don't have an R5 Melee Vortex yet, but I'm sure it'll be great.

I still need to start testing the actual tennokai system. When I tried it out at first it just felt like the window for the free heavy attack was too short, since things died and you didnt really have time to move on to the next group. Though I guess when getting back to running SP endless the density will be much better.

However the arcanes, the new initial combo aura and the tennokai mods have gotten me back to playing Kullervo with a Ceramic Dagger and it is bonkers. Melee Exposure is just so simple to max and maintain with him at low ranks, and with the free heavy attack charge up and efficiency from his passive along with the perks of ceramic dagger and my modding, I constantly sit at x10 combo. And even though I dont use tennokai on Kullervo, the Tennokai mod I use still improves his critical damage further, since it is simply + critical damage to heavy attacks and not specifically tennokai attacks.

I could probably create a similar build for others with the new radiation+efficiency mod plus the old electric+efficiency mod, I'd just have to sacrifice a wee bit of damage by replacing PFS. Which would end up as a radiation+corrosive build due to my riven having toxin damage on it. It should be enough to let me maintain the 10x combo fairly well with 80% efficiency.

I've tried Tennokai on both Bo Prime Incarnon (a sub-par weapon) and Innodem (a top tier weapon) and from I've seen Tennokai makes them both output more damage, and in my subjective opinion it makes playing with them more fun.  Notably, I'm using the Tennokai mod that increases Tennokai procs by 50%, which makes the system much more comfy for me.

I don't think Tennokai is mandatory, but if you build for it I'm guessing it will be beneficial on most weapons (with the obvious exception of if you're just using a weapon as a primer or something).