Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Archwing Variety Fix (Itzal Nerf), K-Drive problems

Lion

Iztal IS NOT THE PROBLEM DE.  The problem is it takes too long to fly around the map with only 1 exit point.  No one likes flying around long distances to begin or finish to a  mission when the game already has plenty of grind!  Players use iztal because for speed to finish grindy missions fast! Get in the action, finish, and get out to do another mission.  I seriously didn't like the devs tone when he said, "Enjoy it now because we are gonna nerf the @##& out of it."  Not cool.  It sounded like some mall cop being a snot just because he thinks he can.  Fix the open world exit point issue.  IZTAL helps to make missions FUN and the grind tolerable.

Lots of people have been up in arms about [DE]Scott's sudden declaration of Iztal "nerfs", but I agree with him - the Iztal sets a bad precedent for travel in the open world. It would be different if there were times where you did anything BUT zip around from place to place, but since travel is the only thing that we use vehicles for, the Iztal wins, hands down. 

And before people point it out, yes, the Iztal is also slightly faster than the other Archwings. And no, that does not matter, because we're not talking about it being slightly faster. We're talking about it be so fast thanks to its Blink that there's no point in using anything else. 

I don't think the Iztal needs straight-up nerfs. It's not overpowered, it's just fast. I think it, along with all the other Archwings, need a balance pass (which we're likely going to get with Railjack), the speed of other Archwings needs to be improved, and there needs to be more to do with Archwings in the open world besides travel. 

First of all, changing the offending ability. Blink provides free mobility that is necessary for keeping the Iztal alive in actual Archwing missions and it's extremely fun to teleport all over the place. I don't think this identity needs to be removed, just changed so that it doesn't render the others obsolete. 

Here's my idea:

Spoiler

Blink

Quick Press: Target a blink beacon within 400/600/800/1000 meters and teleport to it, even without line-of-sight. Costs 25 energy. In landscape missions, this range is reduced to 40/60/80/100 meters. 

Long Press: Create a blink beacon at your location at no energy cost. You can have up to 2/3/4/5 beacons active at one time. Creating a sixth will remove the oldest one. They last for 5/10/15/20 seconds. This beacon is visible as a waypoint on your UI and on your minimap. 

(This version of Blink preserves the Iztal's ability to teleport all over the place easily, but requires the player to set up the points they want to teleport between. The range has been dramatically increased and no longer requires LoS, making it an excellent option for Interception and Defense missions, or giving it an easy way to backtrack to a safe position. Along with this change, I would make it so that the Iztal can move while Penumbra is active, but sprinting or attacking will break stealth, just to make it more mobile and stealthy)

Next, addressing the speed problem. The intention is not to make travel in the open world slower, but to allow players to use whatever Archwing they like without being massively outpaced by people who picked the "right" one. My solution would be to double Afterburner (Sprint + Jump) movement speed in landscape missions, but have abilities and weapons locked when using Afterburner in those missions. This would make every Archwing move ludicrously fast, so everybody could get around the open worlds easily, not just players with the Iztal. Locking abilities and weapons makes it so that you couldn't abuse the speed. It would simply be for getting around. Say it's because of friction or something.

Finally, we need reasons to use Archwing in landscape missions for something other than travel. This is more of a long-term solution, but the real reason why the Iztal outshines the rest is because the others never get an opportunity to do what they're good at. There are no Archwing battles. The Iztal is hella squishy when it has to do anything other than fly around, so until there's more content that requires Archwing use, the Iztal will still technically be the best. We need big, flying enemies in the open worlds. A floating Eidolon, a flying Orb Mother, a baby Fomorian, a helicopter Thumper, etc.  Large targets that are too high and too strong to just pick off from the ground would necessitate the use of Archwings to defeat them. Those ships that ferry the Grineer and Corpus around would be great places to start. Gear them towards being Archwing enemies, rather than transport. If there were things to fight, Iztal would suddenly not be the best. (Amesha would be, but that's another topic. Amesha needs some nerfs, too, DE). Archwings should be more than just a way to get from point A to point B. 

Edited by Aejan
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Aejan said:

They last for 5/10/15/20 seconds.

Why would I ever use this? If this is just a placeholder, then put something that might warrant me using the ability. Otherwise, this is a whole lot of set up on an Archwing that has no set up in any other part of its kit.

• Like 2

We dont need more clunky mechanics to come to archwings.

Blink is fine as it is. If they wanna change how it interacts on open world maps they can simply do a few simple things.

Remove archwing abilities from atmosphere flight i.e when used as skywings.

Let frame abilities be used while using skywing.

Normalize skywing speed, use the current Itzal speed.

Use frame hp, shields, armor etc. when in skywing mode.

There, archwings are simply made to traverse the regions when used as skywings.

• Like 1

il y a 15 minutes, Aejan a dit :

The intention is not to make travel in the open world slower, but to allow players to use whatever Archwing they like without being massively outpaced by people who picked the "right" one

First off : Open worlds are mostly empty --- that means that if you remove Itzal blink or change it you will have to parcour through empty landscapes without gaining anything out of it.

- The cause of the Itzal nerf was that k-drives are not used a lot : with all speed mods into a k-drive, i can parcour a 300m distance faster with just bullet jumping and void dashing, this is a fact. So k-drives are just overall bad, if you like them use them but with their current state, i would never do that.

-K drives are slow so we nerf Itzal, well that is completely wrong Logic, void dashing is faster than k drives, so we nerf void dash ? what next, we nerf bullet jump ? I don't think this is the fix.

-The ONLY utility of archwings in open world is to travel, this is a fact too ( unless you are into some weird archwing love), so naturally i will use the archwing that has the best travel capabilities -> Itzal.

-They said that nerfing Itzal would make people use other archwings in open world : completely false, any archwing that will be the fastest will be used the most, period.

- Why do we want to travel fast ? 

- Bounty stages are separated by hundreds of meters of nothing, just running through empty landscapes, naturally i don't want to see the desert, so i go faster.

-Eidolons teleport really far most of the time, i want to go fast too (if lure is not charged).

-We want to be the most efficient time-wise, i don't want to sit there and each 3 minute of useless defense against lvl 50 mobs i have to parcour through 1000m+ of landscapes and lose time doing so , i will rather never play open worlds again.

Fixes ? 

- Make bounty stage locations much closer at each stage, not this 1000m+ bs then nerf itzal.

-Having a big open world is nice, but if it's empty.... i'd rather make it small if you nerf itzal, or fill it up with some unknown content that would actually make me not hate my time playing while i am maneuvring through it.

-Definitely not nerfing Itzal, as Archwing's only purpose is to go fast, nerf it then we will just use whatever archwing and never use k drives anyway ( for me, i won't even consider going into open-world, lot of people said that too i am not alone).

-Fix k-drives by making them like 300% faster ? that won't fix the issue, while in archwing trees do not matter and you don't have to jump over rocks or mountains.

I don't know what they could change blink for, if you put a cooldown on it people will still use Itzal, if you remove people will stop playing open worlds or still pick Itzal because it has the highest base speed.

il y a 29 minutes, Aejan a dit :

In landscape missions, this range is reduced to 40/60/80/100 meters. 

Well, sherlock that would not fix the problem that other archwings won't be used,

il y a 30 minutes, Aejan a dit :

Long Press: Create a blink beacon at your location at no energy cost

Why even do that ? Seems quite arbitrary. 

il y a 31 minutes, Aejan a dit :

This would make every Archwing move ludicrously fast, so everybody could get around the open worlds easily, not just players with the Iztal.

Okay, so you are saying that we should give archwings the ability to be faster than a 100m blink  ? If we do that then why even bother changing blink since every other archwing can go faster without it ? And if it is not faster than a 100m Blink then why bother using other archwings since Itzal is still the fastest ? 

il y a 33 minutes, Aejan a dit :

We need big, flying enemies in the open worlds.

In Poe that would be a huge mess because the map is so small, in Fortuna maybe, but people mostly don't even enjoy the archwing fights anyway so it will just be an additional bother.

And if you want to fight flying enemies you can just do archwing missions.

il y a 34 minutes, Aejan a dit :

t. If there were things to fight, Iztal would suddenly not be the best. (Amesha would be, but that's another topic

So you are removing Itzal from the picture and putting archwing with the best capabilities to fight instead, but then we nerf them ? This would be an infinite loop of mess for nothing.

If you just nerf the blink in the open world maps like, reducing the distance it travels "inside an atmorphere" (?) in a certaing degree, just make it slower or similar to using an archwing with he flying speed mod.

But, even in that scenario, with that mod full every arching is SO MUCH faster than the k-drive and avoids the terrain dificulties, so if you want to make the k-drive alive aside of farming the standing of ventikids or mastery, nerfing Itzal isnt the right way. 

1 hour ago, peterc3 said:

Halve the cost, sure. This would probably be with a decrease in effectiveness, not increase.

If you have drawbacks to improving Archwing, it will remain as bad as it is. Hyperion Thrusters getting 2.5% more sprint speed is not game-breaking. This proposal makes it consistent with Rush, and also allows for a Primed version.

Edited by Voltage

44 minutes ago, Aejan said:

Lots of people have been up in arms about [DE]Scott's sudden declaration of Iztal "nerfs", but I agree with him - the Iztal sets a bad precedent for travel in the open world. It would be different if there were times where you did anything BUT zip around from place to place, but since travel is the only thing that we use vehicles for, the Iztal wins, hands down. 

And before people point it out, yes, the Iztal is also slightly faster than the other Archwings. And no, that does not matter, because we're not talking about it being slightly faster. We're talking about it be so fast thanks to its Blink that there's no point in using anything else. 

I don't think the Iztal needs straight-up nerfs. It's not overpowered, it's just fast. I think it, along with all the other Archwings, need a balance pass (which we're likely going to get with Railjack), the speed of other Archwings needs to be improved, and there needs to be more to do with Archwings in the open world besides travel. 

First of all, changing the offending ability. Blink provides free mobility that is necessary for keeping the Iztal alive in actual Archwing missions and it's extremely fun to teleport all over the place. I don't think this identity needs to be removed, just changed so that it doesn't render the others obsolete. 

Here's my idea:

Hide contents

Blink

Quick Press: Target a blink beacon within 400/600/800/1000 meters and teleport to it, even without line-of-sight. Costs 25 energy. In landscape missions, this range is reduced to 40/60/80/100 meters. 

Long Press: Create a blink beacon at your location at no energy cost. You can have up to 2/3/4/5 beacons active at one time. Creating a sixth will remove the oldest one. They last for 5/10/15/20 seconds. This beacon is visible as a waypoint on your UI and on your minimap. 

(This version of Blink preserves the Iztal's ability to teleport all over the place easily, but requires the player to set up the points they want to teleport between. The range has been dramatically increased and no longer requires LoS, making it an excellent option for Interception and Defense missions, or giving it an easy way to backtrack to a safe position. Along with this change, I would make it so that the Iztal can move while Penumbra is active, but sprinting or attacking will break stealth, just to make it more mobile and stealthy)

Next, addressing the speed problem. The intention is not to make travel in the open world slower, but to allow players to use whatever Archwing they like without being massively outpaced by people who picked the "right" one. My solution would be to double Afterburner (Sprint + Jump) movement speed in landscape missions, but have abilities and weapons locked when using Afterburner in those missions. This would make every Archwing move ludicrously fast, so everybody could get around the open worlds easily, not just players with the Iztal. Locking abilities and weapons makes it so that you couldn't abuse the speed. It would simply be for getting around. Say it's because of friction or something.

Finally, we need reasons to use Archwing in landscape missions for something other than travel. This is more of a long-term solution, but the real reason why the Iztal outshines the rest is because the others never get an opportunity to do what they're good at. There are no Archwing battles. The Iztal is hella squishy when it has to do anything other than fly around, so until there's more content that requires Archwing use, the Iztal will still technically be the best. We need big, flying enemies in the open worlds. A floating Eidolon, a flying Orb Mother, a baby Fomorian, a helicopter Thumper, etc.  Large targets that are too high and too strong to just pick off from the ground would necessitate the use of Archwings to defeat them. Those ships that ferry the Grineer and Corpus around would be great places to start. Gear them towards being Archwing enemies, rather than transport. If there were things to fight, Iztal would suddenly not be the best. (Amesha would be, but that's another topic. Amesha needs some nerfs, too, DE). Archwings should be more than just a way to get from point A to point B. 

Nerfing Iztal is not the answer.  make more exit points in the open world.  the problem is 1 exit point as the other dev pointed out.  Nerfing Iztal is very short sighted to a bigger problem.

• Like 1

Honestly, all the archwings need proper reworks. The issue with Itzal's Blink is not that it's the fastest, but that it's the fastest in a group. Personally, if I were to rework Blink I would built it so you have a starting cost that you COULD spam, but it would be net-negative to the current. You'd run dry of energy and not have gone far. You could, however, charge this ability for range. And when blinking, will create a portal similar to Nova's that other players can use. That way, even IF you are the only Itzal in the group, others get the benefit of that fast travel capability. 

Team Synergy, HOOOO! 

As for K-drives... Really there is nothing anyone can do. They are dumb fun. Online player interactions are inherently unreliable and unpredictable. You will get some bad apples who REFUSE to keep up with the team. But in those cases I calmly suggest a thicker skin. 

Or, an alternative idea, buff the speed of the other wings while in the landscapes. 

We know they adjusted the wings so they wouldn't be super OP when Plains first launched, so they can just as easily make the other ones as fast as Itzal is in the landscapes. I think that would be a better starting point then nerfing Itzal into the ground.

It's not the AW, it's the dismount mechanic. 

All Archwings will continue to be useless as long as there is the ever present instant dismount mechanic that invalidates anything you do to your Archwings. 

• Choose an Elytron because it's super tanky and has nukes? Doesn't matter cause instant Dismount
  • Choose an Amisha because super shields and healing aura? Doesn't matter... cause instant Dismount 
  • Chose an Odenata*..... well you chose wrong but still doesn't matter cause instant Dismount. 

None of the differences between the AW matter because of the Dismount mechanic. People choose Itzal because the only thing that matters is Blink and the reason Blink is the only thing that matters is because insta dismounting invalidates everything else. 

*Out of the four AW choices the one that I totally agree needs some sort of pass is the Odenata because yikes just yikes. 

So your solution is to make Blink exclusively a retreat function, and a horrible one at that.  Can you reasonably even get 1000m away from the beacon in 20 seconds, do something meaningful and then go backwards?  Archwing missions, aside from interception and Fomorian assault are exclusively one way missions.  There's never reason to go 1000m backwards.  This does not "preserves the Iztal's ability to teleport all over the place easily" in any way shape or form.

100m in open world?  What's the point?  100m is NOTHING.

Also, add big enemies to open world maps for archwing combat?  Are you kidding?  Archwings are already hopeless in open world for actual combat because you can get knocked down by a gentle breeze!

Edited by (PS4)Lollybomb

15 minutes ago, HatedByLifeItself said:

First off : Open worlds are mostly empty --- that means that if you remove Itzal blink or change it you will have to parcour through empty landscapes without gaining anything out of it.

- The cause of the Itzal nerf was that k-drives are not used a lot : with all speed mods into a k-drive, i can parcour a 300m distance faster with just bullet jumping and void dashing, this is a fact. So k-drives are just overall bad, if you like them use them but with their current state, i would never do that.

-K drives are slow so we nerf Itzal, well that is completely wrong Logic, void dashing is faster than k drives, so we nerf void dash ? what next, we nerf bullet jump ? I don't think this is the fix.

-The ONLY utility of archwings in open world is to travel, this is a fact too ( unless you are into some weird archwing love), so naturally i will use the archwing that has the best travel capabilities -> Itzal.

-They said that nerfing Itzal would make people use other archwings in open world : completely false, any archwing that will be the fastest will be used the most, period.

- Why do we want to travel fast ? 

- Bounty stages are separated by hundreds of meters of nothing, just running through empty landscapes, naturally i don't want to see the desert, so i go faster.

-Eidolons teleport really far most of the time, i want to go fast too (if lure is not charged).

-We want to be the most efficient time-wise, i don't want to sit there and each 3 minute of useless defense against lvl 50 mobs i have to parcour through 1000m+ of landscapes and lose time doing so , i will rather never play open worlds again.

Fixes ? 

- Make bounty stage locations much closer at each stage, not this 1000m+ bs then nerf itzal.

-Having a big open world is nice, but if it's empty.... i'd rather make it small if you nerf itzal, or fill it up with some unknown content that would actually make me not hate my time playing while i am maneuvring through it.

-Definitely not nerfing Itzal, as Archwing's only purpose is to go fast, nerf it then we will just use whatever archwing and never use k drives anyway ( for me, i won't even consider going into open-world, lot of people said that too i am not alone).

-Fix k-drives by making them like 300% faster ? that won't fix the issue, while in archwing trees do not matter and you don't have to jump over rocks or mountains.

I don't know what they could change blink for, if you put a cooldown on it people will still use Itzal, if you remove people will stop playing open worlds or still pick Itzal because it has the highest base speed.

Well, sherlock that would not fix the problem that other archwings won't be used,

Why even do that ? Seems quite arbitrary. 

Okay, so you are saying that we should give archwings the ability to be faster than a 100m blink  ? If we do that then why even bother changing blink since every other archwing can go faster without it ? And if it is not faster than a 100m Blink then why bother using other archwings since Itzal is still the fastest ? 

In Poe that would be a huge mess because the map is so small, in Fortuna maybe, but people mostly don't even enjoy the archwing fights anyway so it will just be an additional bother.

And if you want to fight flying enemies you can just do archwing missions.

So you are removing Itzal from the picture and putting archwing with the best capabilities to fight instead, but then we nerf them ? This would be an infinite loop of mess for nothing.

I feel like you didn't even... read what I posted. Like you read a chunk, reacted to that chunk, and then forgot about it as you slowly dissect every sentence in a vacuum. 

Yes, just removing Blink would make things slower, that's WHY I said to increase the Afterburner speed of every Archwing. Every Archwing gets to be fast, not just Iztal. 

The reworked Blink isn't a free teleport. You could only Blink to a beacon, which can only be placed at a spot you've been. You can't teleport forwards, but you can teleport around at a much larger range. The range is reduced in landscape missions because ALL Archwing abilities have reduced range in landscape missions. They ALL get reduced by 1/10th because of the different scale. 

il y a 1 minute, Aejan a dit :

Yes, just removing Blink would make things slower, that's WHY I said to increase the Afterburner speed of every Archwing. Every Archwing gets to be fast, not just Iztal. 

The reworked Blink isn't a free teleport. You could only Blink to a beacon, which can only be placed at a spot you've been. You can't teleport forwards, but you can teleport around at a much larger range. The range is reduced in landscape missions because ALL Archwing abilities have reduced range in landscape missions. They ALL get reduced by 1/10th because of the different scale. 

Did you read what i said ? If you make all archwings fast and not just Itzal then yes, people will use other archwings but k-drives will still be useless, which was the problem, the problem here is Itzal being faster than every archwing , and every archwing being faster than every k-drive. Making all archwings at same speed does not change the k-drive uselessness so you did not fix the problem. Also the beacon idea is stupid, 100m range is nothing, void dashing will do your 100m in 3s.. maybe 4. So that solution is not a solution, just a bother, i would rather fly those 100m rather then long press at a location while grineer are shooting me to continue going...

3 minutes ago, Aejan said:

My vote would just be to make Blink universal, like Bullet Jumping. 

il y a 1 minute, Oreades a dit :

My vote would just be to make Blink universal, like Bullet Jumping. 

Hhahahaa, that is a funny one, that would make k-drives more in the dump, though it doesn't bother me. Scott's problem was that K-drives are not used, so that won't fix the problem in any means. For me k-drives can stay the way they are, they are non fun things that just bother the hell out of me, the people who like them use them, and the people like me who like to speedrun, well, never do use them.

1 hour ago, Aejan said:

Here's my idea:

Reveal hidden contents

Blink

No, just no. If this happened, Itzal would be pointless when you can ignore and increase damage with the Odonata, K-Drive would be more obsolete, and you would cause a bigger problem. Also, if Afterburner was changed like that, you would and you are contradicting yourself

1 minute ago, HatedByLifeItself said:

Hhahahaa, that is a funny one, that would make k-drives more in the dump, though it doesn't bother me. Scott's problem was that K-drives are not used, so that won't fix the problem in any means. For me k-drives can stay the way they are, they are non fun things that just bother the hell out of me, the people who like them use them, and the people like me who like to speedrun, well, never do use them.

K drives should let you shoot while using them, but, if too much damage is taken they will be on a cooldown timer

13 minutes ago, HatedByLifeItself said:

My friend K-Drives will never supersede AW. 

Nothing short of completely removing Skywing will change that and even then it would move to Void Dash, Nova and Zephyr before anyone even remotely considered K-Drives as a fersrs mode of getting from point A to point B.

For one simple reason, the shortest distance (and the travel time is what people hate about open world) between two points is a strait line and K-Drives can't fly over a mountain. K-Drives where a fun distraction and I enjoyed it while it lasted but when it comes to putting on ones srs pants and getting to the grind... if you can shave off 2 minutes (or more) of empty travel time from a mission you better believe people are going to do that and K-drives just don't. 

DE just needs to come to terms with that. 

Edited by Oreades