Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Other games like Warframe

(PSN)SolarPhantom82

9 hours ago, Leyvonne said:

This isn't true at all unless the player has a hoarding problem. I started playing during Talisman League (December 2015) and didn't buy stash tabs until Abyss League (December 2017).

I'm sorry, you're wrong. You just are. Storing your maps one per inventory slot and currency in stacks of 20 with no organization (or organizing them manually) is total cancer and will drive anyone who isn't a psychopath up the wall. Managing those items is tedious and annoying enough even with the premium tabs that organize them for you in stacks of thousands, not having them is... not an option. It took me years to cave and buy them too, but in hindsight I recognize I should've either paid up or given up on the game much, much earlier than I did.

Edited by SordidDreams

2 hours ago, Emolition said:

I just picked up Wolcen during the sale on steam its early access right now but will release this month (januari). It seem like a nice game but only go to lvl 20 in the version I got (released go to 90) but it's a mix of diablo and path of exile. They got the loot and skills style from diablo and the passive tree from path of exile with upgrade you can rotate the wheels inner, middle and outer to make it easier to combine diffrent builds.

Oh I've completely forgotten about that game. January release you say? Sweet!

edit: Thanks for the remined of that game. Was able to pick it up today for 20% off thanks to you. So that is 50% off of the final release price it will get on Jan 30.

Edited by SneakyErvin

4 hours ago, (PS4)SolarPhantom82 said:

will respect my time and investment.

Maybe Solitaire?

All jokes aside, no modern games with progression will respect your time. Video games are designed to be played in your spare time. They're not meant to be something you can knock out quickly.

I assume you mean looter shooters, so here's a quick short list based on my own experience ( and assuming you haven't already tried them ):

Borderlands 3:

If you want a power fantasy looter shooter and haven't played this one yet, may want to give it a try. Well known for showering the player in loot while you're mowing down large groups of enemies in a frenzy mayhem. It does has its own "cartoonish" style, which may not be for everyone.

Negatives: Personally, I had a good time with this game, but eventually hit point where there wasn't much else to do except for min-maxing to death. Eventually got bored out of it. Definitely doesn't have the same life span that Warframe does IMHO

Destiny 2:

Likely the closest thing there is to Warframe conceptually ( well .. there's Anthem, but I wouldn't recommend it at this point ). D2 doesn't focus so much on power fantasy, rather focusing more on skill & team cooperation/coordination with a fair degree of challenge at the end game. Grinding and looting in D2 feels good ( at least it did for me ), and the way they handle chasing cool gear with chained activities and exotic quests I found it pretty interesting.

Negatives: This comes to a personal preference really, depending on your style. D2 does not, IMHO, scratch the "power fantasy" itch the same way that Warframe does. This can make it or break it depending how much you value the "press 4 and clear a room of enemies" play style.

The Division:

Although it is a looter shooter, this one is radically different from Warframe, as it is entirely focused on tactical game play, and therefore aimed specifically at players that enjoy this style.

The grind/loot challenge loop felt really good to me, and I really enjoyed how they approach end game with the World Tiers and raids. If you like challenge, tactical game play and team cooperation/coordination, it may be worth trying it out.

Negatives: Similar to Borderlands 3, you will eventually hit a point where there isn't much else to do while waiting for the next tier, raid, whatever. The game doesn't fundamentally change ( like Warframe does every once in a while ) so I eventually got bored of it.

In summary, and highly biased based on my own experience, if you're looking for a "life game", a game that you can hang on for years and years within this genre, besides Warframe the only one that IMHO fits into that category would be Destiny 2. This opinion is of course based on fact that it both shares several similarities with Warframe, and also is a game that keeps evolving over time.

On a side note, it's funny that when I was doing this list it just hit me why games as good as BL3 and The Division eventually die off ( for me ): The don't innovate past from what they initial where designed for. Like it or not, Warframe does this once in a while. DE embraces creativity and comes up with disruptive concepts and ideas to add to the Warframe universe. Some will love those new concepts, others will hate them, but at the end of the day the fact that the game is always changing and improving sort of makes me stick with it, while other games, as awesome as they can be, have a way shorter life span.

• Like 1

Il y a 5 heures, TARINunit9 a dit :

We're they able to fix the fundamental flaws in the games extra lives and progression systems?

I don't know how it was before because I started on 2019 when getting fed up by Warframe. But today they are no problems besides the pretty aggressive monetisation.

I just picked up Anthem for 5 bucks and am enjoying it a lot.  I don't expect it to last that long though.

I loved Division but bounced off Division 2.  Something about the difficulty was off for mostly solo play.

Destiny and Destiny 2 are great if you haven't played them.

Honestly nothing beats Warframe for an 'always' game.  For a break I'd play something with an ending, get that feeling of accomplishment.

• Like 1

Nothing's really like Warframe. I'm play Battlefront 2 when not playing Warframe, and it has a mix of gunplay and melee gameplay (lightsabers) and space ships (starfighter assault). Oddly enough, it's the kind of gameplay that's closest how I play Warframe (killing AI enemies with guns and melee, space combat, powers, etc.). So if you're ok with paying for games, I'd recommend Battlefront 2. And no, it doesn't have egregious MTX anymore. Those have been gone for years.

Edited by TheGildedOni

Most games are kinda unique so these questions never really matter. You're not gonna find a game like Warframe. 

I see people constantly make parallels that arent accurate. Just because you have a gun doesn't mean they're the same. Every game has weapons, they have aoe, conal aoe, single target, a DoT spreader, a CC ability or "frame" etc. Doesnt make them the same.

Every game in a genre has a gun and resources to farm to make something better. Games have always had the same basic mechanics, but each one is actually different on its own.

I'm a little older so Destiny to me is just a fancier Halo. I personally havent seen a game like warframe before and I looked at path of exile gameplay and that's a completely different game as well.

11 hours ago, (PS4)SolarPhantom82 said:

Na , I'm thinking about path of exile

Do you also have a PC, because I can't recommend this for PS4...the game crashes constantly and runs terrible (have a look at the console section forums). You can get through the story well enough, but after that things fall apart fast.

Path of exiles, destiny 2, borderlands 3, division 2, monster hunter world, black desert online, Red dead redemption 2 and gta 5 online, final fantasy 14. Those are the multiplayer games i am trying now. Not completely like warframe but just enough to scratch the itch.

For strictly loot shooting and powers I'd say the Borderlands series, 2 is my favorite but 3 is pretty good too. I'd wait for Destiny and Destiny 2 to be free before bothering with them. I'd say Anthem, but we don't talk about Anthem any more. 

Other than that why not try something different? Instead of staying just in the looter shooter genre try some other RPGs like the Witcher. After all, variety is the spice of life. 

Well too bad it has to be a game like warframe.
I think each game is unique.
If it is just for a break and you don't mind single player games.
I absolutely love The Witcher 3.
Hours and hours of good gameplay, story, voice acting, exploring and immersive.

11 hours ago, Emolition said:

I just picked up Wolcen during the sale on steam its early access right now but will release this month (januari). It seem like a nice game but only go to lvl 20 in the version I got (released go to 90) but it's a mix of diablo and path of exile. They got the loot and skills style from diablo and the passive tree from path of exile with upgrade you can rotate the wheels inner, middle and outer to make it easier to combine diffrent builds.

The best thing about it IMO is that it leans a bit away from stat-based play and into skill-based play. You actually have a dodge move you can use to avoid attacks, enemies telegraph everything nicely, etc. It plays very differently than other ARPGs for that reason. (Or at least the early version I tried did, can't wait to see the final version.)

Nothing is strictly like Warframe. It's ninjas, it's space, it's hover boarding, it's musical fashion 'frame, it's getting freaky chairs to disinfect you, it's breeding cat-dog hybrid horrors, it's puzzle solving, it's platforming, it's farming, it's Ace Combat-lite, it's Pokemon-ing (spectres), it's raiding, running, eating, healing, and slaying, it's doing guard jobs, it's infestation exterminating, it's animal conservation (for the floofs), it's fishing, it's befriending the hard way (liches), it's saving colonies, it's time traveling, and even among many other aspects, the most important is that it is all we can do to help our dear Space Mama Lotus. T_T We miss you!

• Like 2

Look at Star Citizen, assuming you want to join that cult.

Similarly, there is a game called "Angels fall first" you might like

Anthem?

Destiny 2?

Theres this one 2010 game I cant remember that warframe is a clear knock off of, in terms of mechanics.