Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lets be real: we're not space ninjas.

I have to agree with OP.

I think that the developers, as creators, asked thenselves "What would a Space Ninja be like?" and envisioned designs such as Excalibur or Ash as a result. Maybe stealth even played a significantly higher role during concept stages, or maybe it's just to differentiate WF's from other futuristic sci-fi warrior concepts as WF tends to use its own language when describing things.

However, the game's mechanics and frame designs have veered far away from that.

To a neutral observer unfamiliar with the game's lore, there's nothing "Ninja" about, say, Mesa (Prime), with regards to her visual design or abilities. A neutral observer would say she's a gunslinger/cowgirl. Octavia would be described as a cheerleader. Hydroid as pirate/buccaneer. Harrow as a priest. Baruuk as a monk. Inaros as mummy. Limbo as a magician. Wukong as a monkey. Titania as a fairy.

I don't even think the word "ninja" shows-up at any point in the codex or in frame descriptors. "Warrior" is a more commonly-used descriptor even in official media (This is Gara, the unbreakable warrior / This is Baruuk, the reluctant warrior). And yes, Ninjas are warriors if we go with semantics and their most technical definitions, but when people think of "Ninjas", they are specifically thinking about popular depictions of Shinobi or classical Japanese assassins, which is a depiction that only Ash (Prime) qualifies for, but only in ability design (Stealth smoke bomb, shurikens).

10 hours ago, Yamazuki said:

did multiple things ranging from assassinations, sabotaging the enemy, gathering information (and giving up false information) as well as essentially being for hire soldiers that just didn't have to follow any rules, or any sort of "honor codes"?

So the CIA?

Edited by Jarriaga

• 1 year later...

Agreed. The only frame even close to the traditional ninja theme is Ash and maybe Ivara with all her stealth tools like her sleep arrows, rope arrows ect but that's it. 

We've got a cryomancer, pyromancer, aeromancer, hydromancer, geomancer, astrapomancer, numerous engineer/tech frames, a couple of tricksters, a fairy frame, a necromancer, a shadow mage, an infested frame, a mummy, a frame that manipulates sound, a frame that manipulates minds, a frame with special armour, an angry frame with special claws, a vampire-themed frame, a frame with super speed, a frame that can create/control glass, magneto, a swordsman, a frame that eats people, an alchemist, a dragon frame, a frame that deals in toxin, a music frame, a healer, a master of the void... you get the idea.

In what way are these space ninjas? Throwing Hikou Prime and a bow on them doesn't make them ninjas lmao. Like I say, the only one that really counts as an actual ninja-themed frame is Ash. The rest are all a mix of various different themes. Even DE said that Hydroid was originally based on Davy Jones from POTC. In what way does Pirate Lord of the Sea equate to space ninja? 

I, for one, like the idea of being essentially demi-gods with super powers that can take on entire armies alone. Makes it much more interesting than trying to mix space ninja in with every other archetype going. 

1 year later...

I agree with the two people who actually understand that ninjas aren't those stealthy characters wearing hood and mask.

In a matter of act, that hood and mask "the ninja outfit" is actually popularized by kabuki theaters to describe a ninja character for the audience. Real ninjas don't really wear those stuff.

Real ninjas are huge on pistols. Why? Cuz it's effective. They're also known for using shotguns (yes ninjas already had shotguns way back then) and various explosives. way more effective than stabbing a dude with sword.

Ninjas love technology and actually the most cutting edge force on japan at that time. That's why they're so good.

Warframes are ninjas alright.

On 2020-03-05 at 9:03 PM, (PSN)Vodka_Vision_ said:

Being a space ninja would require actually good stealth mechanics. We're just super soldiers, and that's okay. We should embrace that. I think if we can acknowledge that the game has evolved past space ninjas into super soldiers, we can allow for greater specialization. Having defined roles would help clear things up, and streamline gameplay. I think that empowering tanks to tank, DPS to DPS, and support to support would encourage team building and squad cooperation more than having everyone try to be completely self sufficient. I think FFXIV did a fantastic job of differentiating roles. If warframe could manage someting similar, I think they could introduce harder content with more complex enemies and mechanics.

All of this is in the game, my dude. As for "harder content", most players can't handle Warframe's eidolons, profit-taker, disruption, arbitration, steel path nor Railjack grineer. There are not enough high end players to convince DE to make any difficulty changes. Also, why should they when the game is absolutely fun as hell to play as is?

• Like 1

On 2020-03-05 at 11:03 PM, (PSN)Vodka_Vision_ said:

Being a space ninja would require actually good stealth mechanics. We're just super soldiers, and that's okay. We should embrace that. I think if we can acknowledge that the game has evolved past space ninjas into super soldiers, we can allow for greater specialization. Having defined roles would help clear things up, and streamline gameplay. I think that empowering tanks to tank, DPS to DPS, and support to support would encourage team building and squad cooperation more than having everyone try to be completely self sufficient. I think FFXIV did a fantastic job of differentiating roles. If warframe could manage someting similar, I think they could introduce harder content with more complex enemies and mechanics.

These days with the braindead power fantasy, Space Demigods sound most appropriate than anything else.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ragnafiro said:

These days with the braindead power fantasy, Space Demigods sound most appropriate than anything else.

“the braindead power fantasy (that people choose)” 👍 . Personally I was getting super bored with being overpowered, so I stopped being overpowered.

Edited by (NSW)Greybones

Ninjas are super soldiers.

Futuristic super soldiers with experimental weapons and ahead-of-their-time gadgets. Backed by leading scientists and alchemists to arm them.

The "ninjas" you all are thinking right now is a kabuki theater character.

Edited by Soy77

14 minutes ago, Fallen77 said:

God da.... the necro never stops these days. Have some respect for the dead people

Unlike in php where op might've got their questions answered and it's pointless to resurrect the threads, here in general discussion technically everyone are allowed and justified to keep the discussion going.

i mean it's not a dead topic about some updates 5 years ago or anything like that.

Edited by Soy77
  • Like 1

il y a 16 minutes, Soy77 a dit :

Unlike in php where op might've got their questions answered and it's pointless to resurrect the threads, here in general discussion technically everyone are allowed and justified to keep the discussion going.

i mean it's not a dead topic about some updates 5 years ago or anything like that.

Meh it's not a biggy.

Just finding it weird, it's feels like some people come up with a comeback, THEN go search for a thread in which they could use it.

But yeah no matter, just poking fun.

Well if we are precise historically while ninja's did occasionally conduct assassinations and covert-ops, they weren't the kind of stealth-only archetypes seen in movies, comic books and alike. It was messy business that sometimes involved a much more blunt approach that akin to a samurai to get the job done and they were closer to specialized mercenaries than shadowy assassins. I wish the Warframe had proper stealth mechanics though, just for variety of gameplay and possibility for gameplay experience.

• Like 1

On 2020-03-05 at 9:03 PM, (PSN)Vodka_Vision_ said:

Except FF14 is built around ensuring each multi-player group has at least two players who fulfill the DPS role, at least one player who plays as the tank and at least 1 healer, and that's just for 4 player groups. In Warframe, DE has made it so that players can bring any frame to a mission and multiple frames can fulfill multiple roles. Not to mention we have gear items that can support players with heals, shielding and ammo replenishment. Basically, FF14 was built to be played in the manner that it is. Warframe was made to be played the way that it is - the antithesis of FF14.

Edited by (PSN)DoctorWho_90250

I have to disagree with the mmo roles setup concept, in all games.

Have you ever played a mmo, where people did not have a giant stick up their [Void Hole]? Game mechanics have to cultivate the room temperature.

No kick function, low fail rates, modest difficulty etc etc. Shared loot, so everyone gets paid exactly the same. The way it should be. Co-op, good for you, good for me.

Not to say, you couldn't add individual game modes or maps, that had roles, like Eidolons needing a healer or whatever.

/edit

ps. Thematically it's true enough, we aren't exactly covert, actually entirely over the top overt.

It would be kind of cool if, where possible, maps started off unalerted and everyone had smoke bombs as secondary weapon, to give limited stealth.

Then you'd infiltrate for as long as you could and have it turn into a standard fight when the alarms went off, or something similar, where you at least started with stealth.

You are more of an infested Ironman samurai really.

Edited by Surbusken

We're not space ninjas or magic soldiers or whatever you call, we are vilains that killed the entire kubrow family to take it and adopt him and make him believe that you are a super hero.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1

On 2020-03-06 at 12:03 AM, (PSN)Vodka_Vision_ said:

The stealth mechanics are... tolerable, I guess. Doing things stealthily is a real challenge, but it can be done, assuming your weapon can kill enemies in a single sneak attack.

• Like 1