Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can we hide the Fortuna "old mate" reveal?

Dr_Wonderful

1 hour ago, MagPrime said:

This isn't really a reasonable comparison.

I believe it to be the most reasonable.

Looking past design choices these people are an oppressed society. Nowhere else in the corpus do you find people who have their heads separated from their spine to presumably be controlled in some remote fashion.

And this is not considered normal in the system clearly.

They do not reveal themselves like some horrible jump scare. They're bashful, wary, embarrassed but also a touch relieved. Your discomfort is their everyday and the reason they hide. They did not choose your discomfort it's what they have to live with. It makes their collective cynicism and quirks out as coping mechanisms for being something that makes normal people squeamish.

You believe the comparison unreasonable because you perceive something that is implausible (though everyday we get closer to this being real). Yet it's this impossibility that makes it safer to explore these emotions without causing undue offense. As anyone forced to hide themselves over events and circumstances not of their own making will likely find some form of empathy with them.

• Like 1

To all the people complaining about OP wanting this feature: How could this new feature possibly worsen your experience more than it would improve OP's (and many other people's) experiences? Just don't use the toggle if you don't want to. It wouldn't even be hard to implement.

• Like 1

Actually we don't have to stop playing and allowed to complaining.

Because, well, if we are majority, DE would decide to change, and if not, or they have reason to not do it, then DE wouldn't decide to change.

It's simple as that, and if DE decide to not change, some people could leave.

I personally thought it was an awesome revelation. I had been curious for quite some time as to why they all had similar torsos. It was obvious from the start they were humans, but the question of "Did their very heads get repossessed or something?" was finally answered for me. I dunno. It seems like whenever something that most people consider "odd" or "grotesque" or "disturbing" pops up, I'm fine with it as long as it's explained and connected to the lore. Even if it's disturbing to me, I'm perfectly happy with it being in existence because it's not my story and I don't have a right to force my desires on others. Guess I'm just weird.

The thing is, it's explicitly stated that they're revealing themselves to you out of respect and trust. It's a huge deal in their society and culture. That fact alone makes me happy to see them every time they pop up on my screen.

That all said, I do agree to have some form of toggle. Maybe give every npc there an extra option to close themselves. That way youtubers won't accidentally spoil it for everyone else. Of course, it's a bit too late for that now, so *shrugs*

I personally kind of like it but I do wish we could put those heads back on their necks because Tbh for some people like eudico or little duck it’s a real big shame because their faces aren’t a bad sight in fact you could argue that so far they have the best face models in the game. At least they’re anatomically correct (looking at you ostrons). It’s a shame they were hidden for so long and in such a strange place.

also isn’t it kinda mean? It’s like they revealed their real selves and now you’re like rejecting them. Calling them ugly and weird and gross and stuff. Making them feel bad about their existence. ImQgine having real consequences with your relationship to these characters because of your decision.  

Edited by (PS4)i7081277

The only actually valid argument I can think of to support this feature is for the sake of spoilers, and primarily to benefit streamers who are doing fortuna and don't want to give away the max standing surprise. (even de blacks out the npcs during fortuna visits because #spoilers)

If you don't like grim visuals and dark story telling, honestly Warframe is probably not the best pick for your time then, those are features of the game and part of it's identity frankly. Warframe isn't this very soft friendly looking game and it was never intended to be so, and you'll just run into more of the same going forward. We have an entire faction that is more or less body horror in the infestation, another of the primary factions in the game is literally the embodiment of genetic deterioration, going by Ballas the Orokin were into bizzare body augmentation (alongside literal body snatching), and we are going further down the molehill with sentient corpus cross fusions like the amalgams and Ballas post sacrifice. Honestly the people of Fortuna are probably the most tame of what is really floating around in this game. 

• Like 2

They need to do something with the heads. They are just there but why? Who would do that to them selfs?

maybe when we get are big ship they can be crew and the heads can run out of there body (like 4 lagged spyders) when they die or they just want to. They would do this to man systems or other more battle ready body’s.

Edited by BDMblue

5 hours ago, FlusteredFerret said:

Maybe so but look at this this way...

Brutally slaughtering 100s of enemies in various ways, with blood & limbs flying everywhere is fine...

But heads in chests is a no-no?

Are you starting to see the paradox?

Far as I'm concerned its not a cop-out whatsoever. This is a game that features copious amounts of graphic violence...yet people have issues with "unusually configured" NPCs?

If you're okay with blood & gore then this shouldn't be an issue. OP even said it was purely an aesthetic issue for them...which as far as I'm concerned gets filed under "suck it up and deal with it".

As has been pointed out, we have the option to turn off gore, which counters the arguement you're trying to make. 

There is a vast difference between severed limbs, blood, bones and other gore and a fully functional, interactive head in a box stuck into a person. 

4 hours ago, BallisticSalsa said:

I believe it to be the most reasonable.

Looking past design choices these people are an oppressed society. Nowhere else in the corpus do you find people who have their heads separated from their spine to presumably be controlled in some remote fashion.

And this is not considered normal in the system clearly.

They do not reveal themselves like some horrible jump scare. They're bashful, wary, embarrassed but also a touch relieved. Your discomfort is their everyday and the reason they hide. They did not choose your discomfort it's what they have to live with. It makes their collective cynicism and quirks out as coping mechanisms for being something that makes normal people squeamish.

You believe the comparison unreasonable because you perceive something that is implausible (though everyday we get closer to this being real). Yet it's this impossibility that makes it safer to explore these emotions without causing undue offense. As anyone forced to hide themselves over events and circumstances not of their own making will likely find some form of empathy with them.

No, it's unreasonable to compare amputees with this because they don't keep their severed limbs literally inside them and we don't interact with those severed limbs. 

Maybe you should ask before making an assumption and then writing such a long post, because I don't find the concept implausible at all.  The plausibility of such a thing isn't the issue. 

Edited by MagPrime
  • Like 1

I thought it was funny, and it still makes me chuckle from time to time. But everyone has their comfort levels, and I’m rather dark and twisted. 

It shouldn’t be that hard to make it a toggle option, as both settings are already in the game. If it makes people happier in the game, I’m all for it. But, I want an option to make the heads upside down. To increase my chuckling 😁

12 minutes ago, The_Mustachio said:

I thought it was funny, and it still makes me chuckle from time to time. But everyone has their comfort levels, and I’m rather dark and twisted. 

It shouldn’t be that hard to make it a toggle option, as both settings are already in the game. If it makes people happier in the game, I’m all for it. But, I want an option to make the heads upside down. To increase my chuckling 😁

An interact emote, let's you boop the noses or do the "I'm watching you" hand motion to the head.

People calling others "overly-sensitive" while at the same time throwing a hissy fit at a suggestion of a feature that wouldn't affect them in the slightest.

Personally, it doesn't disturb me in the slightest, but some of the voices (like legs or biz) sound better with the robo filter. Also I always appreciated how beautiful the metal textures in the game are whenever I talked to them and saw those shimmering shutters, it just looks better to me.

So ya, I'm +1ing this suggestion.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, (PS4)i7081277 said:

I personally kind of like it but I do wish we could put those heads back on their necks because Tbh for some people like eudico or little duck it’s a real big shame because their faces aren’t a bad sight in fact you could argue that so far they have the best face models in the game. At least they’re anatomically correct (looking at you ostrons). It’s a shame they were hidden for so long and in such a strange place.

also isn’t it kinda mean? It’s like they revealed their real selves and now you’re like rejecting them. Calling them ugly and weird and gross and stuff. Making them feel bad about their existence. ImQgine having real consequences with your relationship to these characters because of your decision.  

Not really, if one of my friend told me like "i don't like your face can you use mask?" then i would understand it and use mask, of course it only works for "real friend"

Otherwise they were not a real friend, i don't care if it reduce our standings by one rank, because what i actually needed is PT drops and other things and not relationships that don't respect other.

I think their robot heads are just flat-out cooler. Look at Smokefinger, that old geezer looks cool. I can understand opening their belly boxes when talking in Fortuna, when we're physically standing next to each other. But I have to ask, Eudico: does it really make talking to me in the middle of a mission any easier? Seems that would be much harder, when your glowing-eyed wifi-equipped robot head is doing all the work in the first place, but then you go and you readjust the camera in front of your belly box "to make it more personal" as I'm flying an armed jetpack to strafe at Moas wading through a coolant lake

3 hours ago, (PS4)i7081277 said:

Why would they care?  It's a game, they are pixels.  Believe it or not, the characters actually don't have feelings.  If a toggle was added I doubt DE would go out of their way to program in responses to whether or not a toggle was on.  Why would there be in game consequences?  It's a toggle that can be turned on or off at will not a permanent decision.  Also, it's not like people are asking for the ability to go up to the characters and in game call them "ugly and weird and gross and stuff".  They are asking for a toggle.

On 2019-03-30 at 8:49 AM, BallisticSalsa said:

Do ya'll get like this when you see amputees or people with horrible vicious scarring go about their daily lives?

Not attempting to call anyone out or even expect an answer. Just food for thought and self reflection.

Wasn't aware that every single person on Earth see amputees on a regular basis, nor are they even the same thing.

On 2019-03-30 at 9:51 AM, FlusteredFerret said:

Maybe so but look at this this way...

Brutally slaughtering 100s of enemies in various ways, with blood & limbs flying everywhere is fine...

But heads in chests is a no-no?

Are you starting to see the paradox?

Far as I'm concerned its not a cop-out whatsoever. This is a game that features copious amounts of graphic violence...yet people have issues with "unusually configured" NPCs?

If you're okay with blood & gore then this shouldn't be an issue. OP even said it was purely an aesthetic issue for them...which as far as I'm concerned gets filed under "suck it up and deal with it".

You do know there's a no gore option right...?

Argument is still invalid.

Lol guys. You are realy arguing on this? OP don't feel confortable with this and I'm sure that many other players are in the same boat. Its demand is legit if it makes its own game experience unconfortable. It wouldn't change anything for you. 

And if it was realy to show how far the corpus can go, the npc should at least not behave as if it's just a small drawback. The whole Fortuna atmosphere should be much more darker than it is. 

• 4 weeks later...

i would so love this. i cannot stand looking at these hideous monsters. it totally creeps me out and i hate seeing them. id so much rather them just hide their faces. Like its cool and all that they trust me enough to show me their real faces but i dont need to constantly be looking at them when theyre so unpleasant to look at.

i dont see what harm a toggle would cause. if anything it would provide some relief to a percentage of players. you can even mute ordis's annoying voice so i dont see why a toggle would cause such a polarizing response when it would only be for the people who choose to use it lol. your experience doesnt change in the least.

Edited by .Archetype.
choice of words

12 minutes ago, .Archetype. said:

i would so love this. i cannot stand looking at these hideous monsters. it totally creeps me out and i hate seeing them. id so much rather them just hide their faces. Like its cool and all that they trust me enough to show me their real faces but i dont need to constantly be looking at them when theyre so unpleasant to look at.

i dont see what harm a toggle would cause. if anything it would provide some relief to a percentage of players. you can even mute ordis's annoying voice so i dont see why a toggle would cause such a polarizing response when it would only be for the people who choose to use it lol. your experience doesnt change in the least.

This thread is old news, the toggle is already there now, "creator mode" in options/gameplay.

• Like 1