Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Vauban & Ember Dev Workshop

[DE]Connor

It was not removed, it was built into their intended changes to the heat damage type, her new second skill, Immolation, and the changes they made to Fire Blast.

Also. I am glad her third has knockback or knockdown. If those pesky fire Eximus units can knock us down with their rip off fire blasts, we better be able to do the same, if not better, than them

32 minutes ago, Djego27 said:

The design of the current Ember is actually very good(it really got better over the years and is on one level with Volt or Mag what are also very well designed and interesting to play frames

Objectively false. Literally one way to build her aside from healing basolk to handle endgame content.

14 hours ago, [DE]Connor said:

FIREBALL

Whatever.

IMMOLATION (replacing Accelerant)

That is a bummer. An effortless DR skill with extra benefits, that becomes a necessity, because Ember now has even less CC potential. Fireball is not enough to controll spread groups of enemies; #4 should be costly and has a delay in its effect. This leaves only #3 as immediate CC or save button, which accidently will reduce her direct defense mechanic. You basically gave Ember a DR because she lost reliably ways to controll her environment and made it a crutch in her kit. This seems conflicting.
We do not have raw numbers yet, but it seems like any scaling is gone the same place Accelerant did - in nirvana. The Heat gauge will only affect abilities, as such Ember loses her better weapon scaling options. This is unfortunate.

FIRE BLAST

The Armor strip is nice, but it only approves that skills require a band-aid function, in order to overcome inherent design mailfunctions. Any decent Ember player, who was not playing around WoF press and forgett playstyle already used Armor strip tools. Furthermore, Fireblas is now the only semi-reliable CC Ember has.

INFERNO (replacing World On Fire)

"Enemies within sight" is an awfully vague term. No numbers on base damage and dependency on Immolation leave the ability rather intransparant at this point. The spreading Fire mechanic seems interesting but way too unpredictable in its effectiveness.

All in all, Ember became a dumb down and foolproof Frame with one single playstyle. At this point there are almost no Frames, without a dedicated DR, Armor boost or HP regen skill. The concept of classic roles is pushed further away and makes all Frames working after the same template, which is boring. This is a design dead end.
Ember's playstyle will become one-dimensional: cast #2 - spam #1 or #4 to fill Heat gauge, occasionally cast #3. Now, the main purpose of those abilities turn into Heat meter maintenance, not a strategic use for actuall effects. The biggest downside is - I do not see alternative palystyles, because those skills are intervined and does not allow it (that is, if Augments won't solve the issue). In her current state, Ember allows at least some specializations and offers several build different options.

The most important part is change to Fire.

15 hours ago, [DE]Connor said:

To reiterate, we will be listening closely to feedback, and will remain open to changes both before and after release.

Doubt.
Hardly any feedback from DevWorkshops got necessary attention. Presented concepts are already set in stone and changes will ship the way they are today. The information chain is too slow and person responsible for this rework won't read even one comment. At best we can expect some tweeks weeks/months after release, but certainly no fundamental design shifts.

Like where exactly?

Ember like other frames of the time has lots of options with the build and weapons when it comes to solo speed run stuff like 20 waves of defence, excavation or Interception for farming purpose and also makes this more fun then with a lot of other frames.

Ember has a lot of options and is interesting to play for meele builds, same as mag and volt. Even more so since augments like fireflash can add fire damage to your melee weapon, where you before often did not have enught slots for that.

If you look at high levels with Volt or Mag you will also most likely just do something with shield, speed or bullet attractor(oh sorry magnetize) while utilizing CC and weapons that scale good with that abilities.

That is fine in my books, given it does hardly get more interesting than that in the game.

40 minutes ago, ShortCat said:

Whatever.

That is a bummer. An effortless DR skill with extra benefits, that becomes a necessity, because Ember now has even less CC potential. Fireball is not enough to controll spread groups of enemies; #4 should be costly and has a delay in its effect. This leaves only #3 as immediate CC or save button, which accidently will reduce her direct defense mechanic. You basically gave Ember a DR because she lost reliably ways to controll her environment and made it a crutch in her kit. This seems conflicting.
We do not have raw numbers yet, but it seems like any scaling is gone the same place Accelerant did - in nirvana. The Heat gauge will only affect abilities, as such Ember loses her better weapon scaling options. This is unfortunate.

The Armor strip is nice, but it only approves that skills require a band-aid function, in order to overcome inherent design mailfunctions. Any decent Ember player, who was not playing around WoF press and forgett playstyle already used Armor strip tools. Furthermore, Fireblas is now the only semi-reliable CC Ember has.

"Enemies within sight" is an awfully vague term. No numbers on base damage and dependency on Immolation leave the ability rather intransparant at this point. The spreading Fire mechanic seems interesting but way too unpredictable in its effectiveness.

All in all, Ember became a dumb down and foolproof Frame with one single playstyle. At this point there are almost no Frames, without a dedicated DR, Armor boost or HP regen skill. The concept of classic roles is pushed further away and makes all Frames working after the same template, which is boring. This is a design dead end.
Ember's playstyle will become one-dimensional: cast #2 - spam #1 or #4 to fill Heat gauge, occasionally cast #3. Now, the main purpose of those abilities turn into Heat meter maintenance, not a strategic use for actuall effects. The biggest downside is - I do not see alternative palystyles, because those skills are intervined and does not allow it (that is, if Augments won't solve the issue). In her current state, Ember allows at least some specializations and offers several build different options.

The most important part is change to Fire.

Doubt.
Hardly any feedback from DevWorkshops got necessary attention. Presented concepts are already set in stone and changes will ship the way they are today. The information chain is too slow and person responsible for this rework won't read even one comment. At best we can expect some tweeks weeks/months after release, but certainly no fundamental design shifts.

Actually, they completely changed Garuda's fourth ability before releasing her due to feedback, because everyone was saying how it was too slow. So I believe they can actually drastically change something before shipping. Also, Scott (the one who is reworking Vauban) replied to feedback on his twitter, including concerns about Ember's Immolation, saying that he's still playing with ideas.

The whole making elemental dmg having exclusive effects for frames is a good thing (Gauss' blast proc stripping armor) and in this case, Ember's heat dmg 'stripping armor.'   But imo when i think of heat dmg i think of actual fire. Like it grows, spreads and gets more damaging over time. Thus, instead of having her heat dmg 'melt armor' (as a the 'go-to' resolve for high level viability),  Ember's 'heat dmg' should be a gradual (very high) scaling dmg overtime (rather than being a 'quasi-corrosive' proc) making it more unique -- imagine even enemy shields getting 'melted' by it ❤️). 

Considering DE is experimenting with Vauban's orbital strike being (enemy-level) scaling dmg,' i dont see why scaling heat DoT can't be a thing either (universally).
It would make sense too (to weapon builds) if applied universally, since corrosive and heat is a generally used elemental combo that would synergize even better.  

Assuming it was applied universally:
Corrosive (armor strip) + Fire (armor 'melt')
Corrosive (armor strip) + Fire (high-scaling DoT) ✔️

(I say 'high-scaling' cuz currently Heat DoT on high level enemies literally just tickles them)

I know it's pointless to post feedback, but here's a futile attempt:

EMBER:

This is now an entirely new Warframe, sadly. Overall, she went from a relaxing caster with a mobile playstyle, allowing focus to be more on gunplay, parkour and the environment - to a more stressful spammy caster playstyle with tankiness and the need to keep an eye on a boring meter, instead of having your eyes on the battlefield. Instant dislike from that part. It's bland and streamlined (Gauss-copy-paste, basicly). And can you just have a look at armor in general please? Too much of this boring "armor strip" is tacked on to every little effect these days to keep damage viable (now including on baseline Heat-procs), like if Grineer were basicly the only thing we fight in this game (hint hint; Corpus and Infested also exist).

Fireball - Disappointing... This would have been perfect for the "place lingering fires in the environment" kind of skill, to keep enemies at bay on certain spots (like an area denial kind of skill). Oh, but it does leave lingering flames? Yeah, those tiny little flames are NOT worthwhile, sorry. Ditch the charge-up, increase the lingering fire size by a rather big amount, and make said lingering fire less visually obstructive. There; Long range area denial skill created.

Immolation - Puke. Just hate it. I despise charge meters (I learned that moreso from playing Gauss), especially on a 'frame like Ember that was the opposite of tedium before. It's boring, a hassle and takes away the focus from the battle. And then 100% energydrain if you miss a moment of attention to that boring meter? Oh please, how obnoxious do you want her gameplay to be, really? Needs a complete rethinking so it's not a tedious babysitting, PLEASE! Also, her (and other frames') squishyness is a problem with the overall game's horrendous scaling and balancing. Start from the core before you do these random ability replacements, please?

Fire Blast - From the looks of it, seems more or less the same, with some good QoL-fixes. Overall, I like it. Simple, but effective. The only real improvement I can see in her kit though (which is sad). What's worse; It makes your Immolaiton-DR worse, even though Fire Blast's job is heavily about keeping you alive with its CC. How counterintuitive.

Inferno - While I'm a big fan of WoF, this seems interesting enough as a replacement (even though the wildfire effect could've easily been added to WoF as it is, ya know?). Spreading wildfire like this (if the spread range isn't pitiful, even if that's to be expected) could prove to be decently fun and useful, especially if paired with Fire Blast and (a range-improved) Fireball. I'm gonna hate the spam-happy nature of it though.

Good bye old Ember. Gonna miss your previous playstyle o7

VAUBAN:

What a mixed bag. Some great things, some "... why?!" things. Sigh.

Tesla - Added mobility to this skill is a huge boost to his playstyle capabilities. Huge thumbs up from me!

Minelayer - Urgh. This is where the extreme and utter disappointment kicks in. Why does he still have the clunky "quiver" mechanic? WHY? And... what are these horrendous skills? You replaced 4 skills with 4 new ones, and they're almost all WORSE than the old ones. Yikes! So many chances, so many fails.

Tether - ... or just use Vortex? How redundant. Sure, it's usable, but why add "Vortex Light" in the first place when you already have Vortex?

Nailgun - ... or just use Orbital Strike / your weapons. Looks absolutely pathetic, both visually and in effect. No idea what went through Scott's head with this one. Add its area-DPS-effect as an aftereffect to Orbital Strike instead.

Speedboost - ... is this a joke? Like, really? I LAUGHED when I saw this skill. Then I almost cried realizing this was an actual new part of his kit. I mean... WHAT IS THIS CRAP?! Just sprinting and/or bulletjumping is more useful (moreso because you have CONTROL over it).

Damageamp - While arguably the best of the bunch, how BLAND can you get? Urgh.

Scrap Minelayer ENTIRELY. Here's a non-redundant replacement for ya:

Bunker - Toss a grenade which forms a protective dome (like Snow Globe - similar scaling too, but weaker). Max 6 can be placed. While Vauban or his allies are inside a Bunker, they gain a small damage amp and a reloadspeed bonus (effects linger for a while after leaving). Vauban can pick up a Bunker to carry it as mobile protective shell, but this greatly reduces the size of the shield (only just covers around him).

Augment: Fortification - Allies gain X shields every second (can grant overshields) and restore X% of their max ammo every second while inside a Bunker.

There ya go. No redundancy. No clunk. And the only true loss from Minelayer (the damageamp) is preserved in Bunker too. Easy peasy.

Orbital Strike - Meh. If it does some seriously good damage, I can see it useable in place of having AoE-weapons. Maybe. At least has some synergy with Vortex. I hope it has some utility though, so you're enticed to use it regardless of what weapon you're carrying. Things I could see to make it ACTUALLY good though:

• Proximity mine style. I.e. it doesn't attack until at least one enemy enters its AoE.
  • Lingering DPS. After it shoots, make it leave some effect on the ground (like a plasma-like fire, Radiation damage?) - as mentioned above, this means the "Nailgun" gets added here, basicly, more or less keeping it, but in a better place.
  • Some utility - Slowdown in the area, perhaps?

Bastille - Not much to say, looks good. Will likely continue to be his main use (along with the new Teslas, and potentially with Orbital Strike if it's worthwhile to use).

Overall verdict for both frames: Disappointment. With some mild "well that's nice" (that being Tesla, Bastille and Fire Blast). And why isn't Pablo doing all reworks? T_T

3 hours ago, Arcira said:

An absolutely not from me. Once they actually release her kit to the public it´s very unlikely they will make fundermental changes anymore.

we've seen recently that this is not the case, closest example is is the new gauss changes. we can't say for sure that no new changes are following these. hell they already changed the passive's range 

They said they where thinking about a armor melt effect and heat damage isn´t unique to Ember other warframes, weapons, etc get the same benefits.

and? hell that makes it a buff to nezha, fire-elemental weapons and every fire-inducing mod then. I don't see how the proc not being unique to ember is a downside to ember >___>

Also we don´t know about Fireball/WoF damage but from my experience offensive abilities where always struggeling in terms of dps due to there lack of scaling options and removing one probably increases this problem rather than solving it.

they literally said it'll scale based on enemy level. but I'll just use a cop-out and say the usual "wait for the freaking release" 

Accelerant provides better utility, cc and in general is more consistent as an "oh S#&$" button.

all of which are provided in the new rework. nothing is statistically changed here. you just need to press more than 1 button to get the effects, and the effects are spread out across different abilities+with other useful effects as well like armor strip 

change immolation to being the passive and rework it to have less micro management you changed her 2 to be accelerant 6 years ago witch allowed her to be a weapon frame so why remove it now. it would work just fine with your rework so why get rid of it. here is a simple fix. immolation is now the passive it grants damage reduction and power strength based on how full it is. the 1 and the 4 grant heat wile the 2 and the 3 remove it. accelerant remains in the kit unchanged and ember remains simple to play. 

Very underwhelming in my opinion.

Vauban:

It feels overall, like they're trying to cram even more functionality into his kit, leaving it overly complex, situational and redundant. I really need to try it out for myself in an uncontrolled environment, before I can say "yeh" or "meh", but the demonstation didn't impress me. Vauban also seem to become less and less of a trapper/sapper thematically, and his abilities still aren't all that useful in missions, where we're constantly racing frantically to objectives and the extraction zone, while nuking everything in and out of sight. How about designing certain frames around functionality/combat roles, instead of homogenizing performance in generic environments. Vauban would be an excellent defensive frame, if his kit had some proper, lethal traps, that scaled well, and could be deployed to create chokepoints and killing grounds. Right now, however, he just seem like a gimmick chucker with a few new flashy tricks.

Ember:

I have two main uses for Ember:

First, I use her for swarm control, and she can do that anywhere on the starchart. Especially in invasions and maps comprising of cramped spaces like Eris, she's able to either outright clear out the mob carpets, or stun the hardier mobs for long enough to bring down with weapons fire. Certain other frames can do it as well, and some are even better at it. But overall, I find her kit useful and easy to manage. And she sets things on fire... That's a plus!

The new build looks like a huge nerf in this regard. Now I need to spam abilities constantly for the same effect, burning through energy at alarming rates, depending on cost (of ability 4, mind you). I need line of sight, making things like elevation and obstructing terrain far bigger factors. On top of that, I now have another meter to manage (which needs the casting of another ability to lower, adding to the energy consumption). And should I now be in a situation, where I need to pay close attention to other things in the environment (squad mates, objectives, etc...), I risk losing all my energy... as a caster frame..... Yeeeeah...

Second: I suffer from chronic pain in a majority of my joints. Some days are relatively good, and some days are bad. Sometimes I just need a frame, that'll get the job done with a minimum of effort, and in that regard, Ember does well. I don't need to see orange numbers on the mission summary, I just need to pull my weight and get the job done. And now I can't use her for that. I guess I'll switch over to my Saryn or Equinox instead.

In all seriousness, you didn't really need to change her kit all that much. I get it. You want to make her more viable in high end content, and you want more player engagement. Well, what if you instead created more synergy between her abilities, let her forego of one thing to augment another...

• If you look at fireball functionality, it has somewhat of a double cost for charging up, eating up both additional energy and time, resulting in a much lower dps as well as a window of vulnerability, where you are doing nothing to stop enemies from trying to kill you. How about if damage/charge time increases and energy/charge time decreases to reward what is essentially an investment of dps. Right now, the lost dps for charging up doesn't feel it gets much of a payoff. If instead the damage increased somewhat exponentially (to a certain point), and energy cost increased at a slower rate, it would pay off for not firing or using other abilities actively. Maybe even let you hold the fireball while moving into a better position (add restrictions to amount of time, sprinting/movement, energy gain to avoid exploitation).
  • Accelerant already synergizes quite well with the rest of Ember's kit. A possible addition could be the ability to charge up the ability for extra range, as well as increased heat proc chance on affected enemies.
  • One lament I see a lot is WoF's reduced range. Well, what if you could increase that range with fireblast? A normal key tap would create a mormal effect. Holding the key down would create an expanding ring of fire, immolating everything in its wake, and pushing the area of an active WoF outwards (which over time would shrink back to normal). Remember, that one of the primary gripes with Ember pre-nerf was her ability to bullet jump through a mission, incinerating entire tiles in the process, hence the nerf to her range? Well, while getting more area range, being locked down in a charge-up animation will make that less favorable in a rush through a mission. Right now, simply stopping to pick up an ayatan star will put you so far behind, that the rest of the squad has killed everything on the map, when you catch up, regardless of you being an Ember or other map nuker.
  • World on Fire doesn't really need much of a buff, if the rest of Ember's kit gets to synergize better with it. The new armour reduction from heat procs should make her more viable in higher end content in any case.

Right now, with the changes as they were shown, even with tweaks like the increased range on her passive, my Ember is going to get shelved for a loooong time. She won't be doing what I need her to do, and other frames can fill that functionality with a minimum of adjustment. And functionality as well as fun dictates, in the end, which frame I bring to a mission, and Ember's new kit doesn't seem like fun to me.

Perhaps her next overhaul will make her viable again.

There's another thing with these changes nagging me as well: Orbital strikes... and comets... working indoors..... From an immersion standpoint, that's... bad. To me, that is a major turn off. And to whoever decides do quip "space magic" in response, I just have to say "Where's my robe and wizard hat?".

10 hours ago, 4holes said:

I would see it as a cheaper Vortex tbh, also its 4x cheaper than a Bastille/Vortex so I'm certain you can be more imaginative on what you can do with it at times since CC-ing a small mob feels redundant with 100 energy. Nail turret and zoom pad would be less utilised, yea unless more tweaks on how much of an influence happens.

10 hours ago, Maka.Bones said:

Ripline is a cheaper, and mobile version of bastille (more spammable). You could put it on your kubrow, or maybe even on your tesla balls (I really hope we can put ripline on tesla balls)

And Vortex is at least 4x times more effective.Also,max power efficiency says hi.

Vauban's new Minelayer I could have personally done without. Its previous funky and non-functional gimmicks have been replaced by... more funky and non-functional gimmicks. Just give him a gun with legs like you were talking about, or turrets! No one is gonna miss boost pad. Nobody needs those. I promise. It's fine.

Vauban's new Orbital Strike is very impressive as well as powerful, and I'm certain the cast times are simply a product of the WIP nature of the dev build, so I'll keep my mouth shut about it. Bastille into Vortex is also a clever way to making space for that ability, which happens to synergize well with it.

I liked what I saw with Ember, it seems like improvements across the board, but I'm going to share my opinion with a lot of folks in here and say that:
Ember being harshly punished by losing all her energy for using abilities is... not great, but that goes without saying at this point.

What surprised me the most is that Fireball barely received any changes. There was a slight boost in charge time, and the damage will increase with Heat being reworked, but...

To me, a good charge time ability is something like Nezha's chakram. Charge time that really feels like it's increasing power as well as altering function without hindering gameplay. Please look into this, it'll really be worth it. Speeding up her 1 much like you did with her 3 is a great idea.

In fact, why not make it so that when she reaches the tippy top of her overheat gauge, she triggers a world on fire effect that drains energy instead? that could give people a grace period and another niche thing to build towards while calling back to her previous kit.

Inferno looks great, but!!! really should not be line of sight. Or at least, y'all really need to fix line of sight before you make abilities based on that mechanic, imo.

16 hours ago, (XB1)TheWayOfWisdom said:

This is a bit harsh. You're essentially penalizing using her abilities.

Would you rather it was a passive energy drain.

They're not gonna let you have a cost-free duration-free damage reduction ability.

3 hours ago, ShortCat said:

Ember's playstyle will become one-dimensional: cast #2 - spam #1 or #4 to fill Heat gauge, occasionally cast #3.

As opposed to cast #4 and occasionally #2?

I am loving these proposed changes, 

I would like to know more about the actual numbers though. 

Also there was mention of a complete heat proc rework as well. This might just make ember the new (or parallel to) Saryn. 

One very specific query for vauban and his bastille :

If I cast multiple bastille could I control which one to collapse? I might have one where everyone is already stripped of armor but two others that I just cast and are not at full effectiveness. 

Some sort of targeted control would be welcome as compared to collapse all. 

Something similar to how wisp uses the reservoirs to teleport perhaps?

Also, how is immolate gonna work actually? It is not channeled, I did not see a Duration timer, is it completely gonna be a "heat gauge" controlled? Like baruuks Sandstorm? 

People seem to be really unhappy about the immolation overheat thing, while myself I am quite fond of the whole "It's free for as long as you don't mess up" idea behind it and I wouldn't like to see it change into another duration-based or a toggle passive-energy-drain ability.

So after a very quick brainstorm I came up with what I think is a fair middle ground:

• When reaching 100% heat Ember doesn't expend all of her energy, instead her energy drains passively for as long as she stays at 100%

The drain wouldn't be as harsh as just losing all of your energy, but it would be significant enough to encourage paying attention to the mechanic.

53 minutes ago, GinKenshin said:

we've seen recently that this is not the case, closest example is is the new gauss changes. we can't say for sure that no new changes are following these. hell they already changed the passive's range

All of which are number and not mechanical changes. I don´t want to be overly negative but they have a tendency to leave stuff half finsihed if it doesn´t work out as planed. In my opinion now is the time to share concerns not after the release.

and? hell that makes it a buff to nezha, fire-elemental weapons and every fire-inducing mod then. I don't see how the proc not being unique to ember is a downside to ember >___>

Point is increasing overall heat damage efficiency while decreasing Embers unique multiplier doesn´t maker her stronger relative to other options. But again this part is mainly about how efficient her passive and Immolate scaling will be. The range increase is defintively a good idea and adds a new perspective to her overall gameplay pattern.

they literally said it'll scale based on enemy level. but I'll just use a cop-out and say the usual "wait for the freaking release"

First off they said that about Vauban´s Orbital Strike but I can´t find anything about Embers Fireball/WoF actual damage scaling. Secondly this sounds like a major mechanical change compared to standard damage abilities and I´m more than interested in how this going to work. But in Vauban´s case the damage didn´t seem to be all that impressive considering that a melee attack did more damage faster. But maybe the actual mechnic wasn´t implemented yet.

Anyway as it stands right now the difference for what DE and the playerbase would consider "a lot of damage" is quite different in many cases.

all of which are provided in the new rework. nothing is statistically changed here. you just need to press more than 1 button to get the effects, and the effects are spread out across different abilities+with other useful effects as well like armor strip 

The emphasis is on better in like smoother, more efficient, etc. I can see that the damage amplifier can be tweaked with some number changes but the delay (cast- and travel time) on Fire Blast doesn´t necessarily benefit a functionallity as a panic button and the knock back cc compared to the stun effect will probably be annoying more than anything else in most situations.

I wanted to add something else before I forget, but maybe instead of adding more meters and gaudy HUD elements, you should try working it into the gameplay itself. Ember, as a fire wielder, should literally be on fire. When the flames start to die down, you know to do X,Y, or Z. This is just an example.

This is in no way an endorsement for Immolate, it's just a suggestion in general. Reducing HUD elements is a big plus for me. I'm not sure everyone would agree, but this is my feedback.

13 minutes ago, Resonant_Thoughts said:

What if the Nail grenade could disarm enemies? Then it would be a super useful utility tool. About the speed pad, it should be removed, it's just gimmicky and useless, add a shield bubble that heals allies inside or something instead, would be great.

They should have just shoved a bunch of Loki's abilities into Vauben's mines. A decoy, an invisibility cloak, a disarm/stun, and a radiation mine. Would have been far more useful.

I'm happy with Vauban's rework except his 2. Minelayer is still disappointing, it's just a different flavor of disappointing now. But I can cope, because Tesla Rollers and artillery strikes.

Archived