Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Scarlet Spear is the only good event DE has done, change my mind

catwhipped

Synergy mismatch

preBaked teams which they said was no longer going to be a thing after eidolon #*!%ery

lag the likes of which U'sul was never able to call in his wildest dreams

Broken matchmaking to go with the giant lag

No stakes

No windup, no thematic injection, no build up or context; this is literally hey guys railjack endgame that we slathered all over you without getting permission for and then left it on your back while we went on vacation that none of you ever actually got to cause holy S#&$ what a colossal clsuter#*!%, well it totally doesn't suck and is way cool honest truly no takebacks i mean it, it's totally worth the gigantic grind and broken everything:

See for lore to be worth a damn and then frame the mechanics that follow it, two things have to occur. First you have to be able to actually see any of it. Second it has to mean something. This isn't waframe's version of TNG's "Q Who" with some amazing dovetail into the New War, this is Ambulas except Ambulas can't move so he needs angry whale noise picasso sculptures to protect him.

This is Plague Star with a new coat of paint and instead of doing a prelude mission that's just another reskinned fetch hunt and then doing an assassinate, we're doing both at the same time. The last unique mission warframe produced was The Sacrifice, and last unique mission before that was Harrow. Since then it's been all hallway grind with fancy new models stuck in said hallways. This is bring a red crit broken spam weapon, bring an infinite cc power and do the same thing you've done for the last seven years. Again. But this time with screeching modern art.

Edited by -Kittens-
  • Like 13

Let's agree to disagree. First & foremost, Scarlet Spear fails to represent the true scale of the threat. Only taking place on Earth & in the Veil, it fails to capture the potential of a system-wide conflict. The only factions butting heads are the Tenno, with assistance from the Quills through Little Duck, the Grineer & Sentients. That's it, that ALL the participants in a conflict as important as this. There's absolutely no presence from the Corpus despite the Amalgam project not even being a year old. Faction Syndicates, which SHOULD have some vested interest in protecting the Origin System alongside settling a few scores, are nonexistent. All you really have are two missions in the same old locations, rinse & repeat. While the fancy new Sentients are cool, there isn't much else to them. Fundamentally, the Railjack portion of it is still very much open to bugs & glitches that should've been long since removed before even making this event a thing, that's on top of countless other issues experienced all across the board (My hat goes off to you, brave PC players). OpLinks are a glorified mobile defense target that cannot be healed whatsoever, and all the nerfs surrounding Limbo, Venari's healing capabilities & the potential nerf to healing in general for a TIMED EVENT are pathetic excuses. Sentients have existed in the game for how many years, DE had plenty of time to determine what could or couldn't work. Finally, the arcane grind. This is a dangerous move on DE's part. Once all is said & done, can they truly go back to Eidolon RNG with no consequences at all? Whether or not this becomes a returning event is left completely in the open, but they cannot turn their backs on arcanes after destroying the economy, even though I personally enjoy watching plat sharks suffer. They'll need to make the Eidolon method just as convenient, otherwise they're tone deaf & ignorant of the monster they've created. In conclusion, there are better events in the past that didn't have nearly as many issues at launch or a plethora of well deserved community backlash. You can like this event, but ignoring the fatal flaws of it is a risky move & enables similar behavior in the future.

• Like 3

I wasn't around during the heyday of Events (before quests took over their role as the main storytelling method) but from the one's I've experienced, it does have a good reward structure in general, and critically, a better overall structure in that you can do two things so there's more variety in what happens..

Unfortunately, the missions themselves personally really fall off, and elements of plot could be better. Teshin probably should have been involved more actively, and a brief prologue (similar to what happened first time you encountered the Grustrags in Pyrus Project) that explained why exactly Sargus Ruk's so mad at us. Because there is a logical reason if you think about it - namely the dramatic irony of not knowing the Sentients are coming back, just that we've been messing around them -  but the players shouldn't be expected to fridge-logic core elements of the narrative.

The mission themselves are  also underwhelming. Railjack didn't have enough Railjack in my opinion, and the incentives weren't properly balanced across both mission types. I'd probably have had one be more rewarding in the short-term, and the other more rewarding for endurance, so both bite-sized and long-running players were rewarded semi-equally, though I'm not sure how one might go about that.

• Like 2

Buried Debts was a better Operation than Scarlet Spear for me personally because: 

- It offered a new Vandal.

- We got the Vallis Booster with Booster weekends on the first launch.

- Amalgam Serration is good.

- It only undermines Fortuna instead of the entire Arcane system.

- Scarlet Spear has a terrible scoring system for the profile (how much can you play the same thing for 5 weeks simulator).

I didn't like Buried Debts either by the way, but Scarlet Spear was much worse. Honestly, since Buried Debts and now Scarlet Spear, the term "Operation" doesn't hold the same meaning as it used to. 😞

• Like 3

The only thing good about the event are the Arcanes. Thankfully it is now possible to earn anything you want at a reasonable pace.

Please note that this aspect was completely screwed up in the beginning, because of balancing, design, and bugs.

The event itself is quite uninspiring. Ground missions are objectively worse than space, thus I only consider the latter.

So, space missions: Mobile defense with Sentients. Get to the defense point and mindlessly smash anything hostile until the timer is up. Repeat 4 times. Could be worse, I guess.

I am slightly disappointed that, even after a month, a few bugs still remain. Searching for a tiny unmarked satellite in space gets old fast.

This event was unplayable, with terrible design, many oversights and unacceptable bugs, in the beginning. Now it is kinda okay. Not a contender for best event ever in my books.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, -Kittens- said:

preBaked teams which they said was no longer going to be a thing after eidolon #*!%ery

Sauce?

2 hours ago, -Kittens- said:

No stakes

We're attacking a recon fleet. The stakes aren't for us, they're for the ships we're blowing up

6 hours ago, -Kittens- said:

Synergy mismatch

lag the likes of which U'sul was never able to call in his wildest dreams

Broken matchmaking to go with the giant lag

No stakes

No windup, no thematic injection, no build up or context; this is literally hey guys railjack endgame that we slathered all over you without getting permission for and then left it on your back while we went on vacation that none of you ever actually got to cause holy S#&$ what a colossal clsuter#*!%, well it totally doesn't suck and is way cool honest truly no takebacks i mean it, it's totally worth the gigantic grind and broken everything:

See for lore to be worth a damn and then frame the mechanics that follow it, two thing have to occur. First you have to be able to actually see any of it. Second it has to mean something. This isn't waframe's version of TNG's "Q Who" with some amazing dovetail into the New War, this is Ambulas except Ambulas can't move so he needs angry whale noise picasso sculptures to protect him.

This is Plague Star with a new coat of paint and instead of doing a prelude mission that's just another reskinned fetch hunt and then doing an assassinate, we're doing both at the same time. The last unique mission warframe produced was The Sacrifice, and last unique mission before that was Harrow. Since then been all hallway grind with fancy new models stuck in said hallways. This is bring a red crit broken spam weapon, bring an infinite cc power and do the same thing you've done for the last seven years. Again. But this time with screeching modern art.

To add to this.

It collapsed the arcane market (some will like this, others will not). I'm on the fence, it gives very powerful arcanes, basically away for the prices now - making it even easier to reach demi-god levels. And again, we don't have anything to test those with arcanes/ 7 forma prime weapon/frame builds.

It made doing Eidolons completely pointless for the next few months, or in some cases - ever. Many completely maxed out all of their arcanes with little real effort. The event didn't add anything real lorewise, if anything it has more questions (like who thought Sargus should be here, it's vay hek's territory, and where's tensin?!), and not the good ones. With how easy and streamlined SS was, it also shows how badly Eidolons is behind in terms of loot rewards. A token system (where you can use them to turn in for arcanes or 'consume' them for vast amounts (50k+ per) of uncapped focus. Greatly alleviating two grinds with one.. currency.

The event was just mobile defense with sentients and a bad mismatched story. Little duck should've been the advisor to Tensin. Tensin and simaris should've been together to 'explain lorewise' why a new simulacrum was made. I've always thought Simaris would use the data from SO/ESO to possibly be an enemy in the future (or a double-double agent!) and lorewise use it to 'train the tenno for war'.  Guess not.

So to recap. DE 'nerfed' arcane double stacking, buffed arcane max potential to R5 (increasing grind, when saying it isn't); with this new found "issue" they give us a solution via Scarlet Spear. SS being nothing more than mobile defense and storywise just not adding anything meaningful.

Also, can we either get an option to turn off in mission dialogue, or can you (DE) make more than 3-5 lines per character? This goes for kuva liches too.

• Like 1