Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tencent on the hunt to buy Warframe? (Deal not confirmed/final)

NerdyJew-bij
Message added by Letter13

Please remember to keep discussion civil. No, this isn't the end of Warframe. The same sort of over-sensationalized prophesying happened 4+ years ago when Leyou (formerly Sumpo) bought shares in DE; people said it'd turn into 'all-lootboxes' and 'pay-to-win' and that DE 'would have zero control' and guess what? All bupkis.

Speculation is fine, as long as you're cognizant of the difference between opinions and facts, and as long as you're not spreading misinformation (intentionally or not). If you feel so strongly about this that want to leave the game, that's your prerogative (and loss) and is also fine.

3 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

One might argue that DE have been a little too "freely" creative, and have struggled to actually focus on completing projects in a timely manner and to a satisfactory standard.

Just playing devils advocate.

That may be true, but with DE’s creative freedom we have a “fair” monetization scheme that is not pay to win. If they are owned by Tencent? Well we can kiss that goodbye and welcome the predatory pay to win schemes that is mostly present in the majority of mobile games.

Just now, DrivaMain said:

While that’s true, but with DE’s creative freedom we have a “fair” monetization scheme that is not pay to win. If they are owned by Tencent? Well we can kiss that goodbye and welcome the predatory pay to win schemes that is mostly present in the majority of mobile games.

Correct. 

And that's exactly what is going to happen. It's inevitable. 

il y a 1 minute, DeMonkey a dit :

One might argue that DE have been a little too "freely" creative, and have struggled to actually focus on completing projects in a timely manner and to a satisfactory standard.

Hmm...

Do correct me if I am mistaken, but doesn't retaining CC rights allows DE to maintain their content creation without influence from people who are not in DE's own decision makings? Issues with project management should not be a CC violation as long as it does not affect to what DE is trying to make, or as long as it doesn't involve firing anyone. 😕 

Just now, Aadi880 said:

Hmm...

Do correct me if I am mistaken, but doesn't retaining CC rights allows DE to maintain their content creation without influence from people who are not in DE's own decision makings? Issues with project management should not be a CC violation as long as it does not affect to what DE is trying to make, or as long as it doesn't involve firing anyone. 😕 

In a perfect world that would be true. 

Sky's not falling. Tell it does. Fretting about maybes of this caliber is exhausting and serves to do nothing more than spin you up on matters you can't change.

Preemptively punishing DE because something might happen. Not buying things hurts DE, not leyou, they have a big enough portfolio. Supporting DE makes leyous portfolio look better. Damned either way.

So just enjoy it while it exists.

I am taking the piss off from China as much as everyone else, but this means nothing so far. 

We don't know if DE will have to focus (which would be good), if they will be let to do whatever they want (which would be meh), or there will be game reconstructure. I am playing a lot of Asia games and even gatcha games are not the same across the board. Some try to sleep with your wallet, others are... Shadowverse.

6 minutes ago, DrivaMain said:

While that’s true, but with DE’s creative freedom we have a “fair” monetization scheme that is not pay to win. If they are owned by Tencent? Well we can kiss that goodbye and welcome the predatory pay to win schemes that is mostly present in the majority of mobile games.

3 minutes ago, Felsagger said:

In a perfect world that would be true. 

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-06-24-tencent-is-the-games-industrys-silent-giant

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2147313

And you can keep on googling. Tencent is internationally known for its hands-off investment style. So much so that it came as a surprise that in a recent acquisition (outside the gaming business I believe) they changed management.

Tencent has little interest in micro-management. Just check how big they are and how diverse their investments. 

8 minutes ago, Aadi880 said:

Hmm...

I don't quite know what you are saying.

But to my understanding, having creative control allows DE to develop what they want, when they want. One could argue that this has resulted in a less than stellar focus on projects, delays in the region of years and poor releases as they "make it up as they go along".

Losing creative control would mean the parent company could dictate (to my knowledge) what gets developed and when, which could result in a greater focus on current projects and less flitting around.

Obviously it's not that simple, nothing is, I'm simply providing an example as to why DE losing creative control could be seen to some as a good thing.

53 minutes ago, taiiat said:

12 different kinds of Forma happened

I would rank the "Empyrean starter pack with avionics like Zetki Bulkhead that 'just happened to have' an abysmal drop rate in game", and the "Old Blood - Lich starter pack with every single Requiem mod already included" as the top contenders for my 'It's just pay for convenience guys dw' - award for the past year.

39 minutes ago, Fl_3 said:

Destroyed by bad money making decisions on the day of its launch.

It was a little more complicated than that. The ingame store didn't have much to offer, 3rd party bean sellers undermined the economy, the content development stagnated, someone got the brilliant idea of overhauling everything, resulting in a slew of problems, and once Tencent had enough and started putting the pressure on Red5, we saw further downgrades in gameplay, outright P2W purchases in the store, and additions to the game, that were obviously pandaing to a chinese audience. And once player numbers petered out, Tencent pulled the plug.

Will the same happen here? Probably not. But when we look at the recent bumbling along development "strategy", unpersoning of prominent players over ideological differences, and frequent periods of content drought, I'm not feeling particularly eager investing in the game. And when we look at streamers, games pundits and commentators, the sentiment is far from rare. At some point, Tencent is going to look at the numbers and decide it is time to start meddling.

I really hope I'm wrong.

33 minutes ago, Angwah said:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-06-24-tencent-is-the-games-industrys-silent-giant

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2147313

And you can keep on googling. Tencent is internationally known for its hands-off investment style. So much so that it came as a surprise that in a recent acquisition (outside the gaming business I believe) they changed management.

Tencent has little interest in micro-management. Just check how big they are and how diverse their investments. 

You only point 1 game example defending this “hands-off”, while there are many more that are against this “Hands off” approach mostly aiming at LoL and Firefall. So your argument does not have enough strength, try harder.

Also that “silent giant” news report is 4 years ago. Present day Tencent isn’t as same as they were before that.

8 minutes ago, Felsagger said:

Ok lets expect the best outcome.

No, why don't we expect anything, because we lack sufficient information. Past acquisitions suggest there is nothing to worry about, except the mistakes DE management will make without any outside help. 

8 minutes ago, Felsagger said:

"Tencent always ends up pushing the companies they buy to bring the cash, choking them into practicing predatory and scummy microtransactions to make enough profit grofit."

I'm not the only one with such concerns. 

No, I'm sure you are not, but most industry watchers, both inside and outside the gaming sector, do not seem to share that concern.

1 hour ago, DrivaMain said:

WW3 Fear mongering, COVID 19, Rick May's Passing, Racial Related Protest, Tencent Might Acquire Leyou and potentially ruin Warframe's fair monetization, What's next on our 2020 disaster ride? 

Someone also predicted the end of the world for this year again iirc., omegalul.

1 hour ago, DrivaMain said:

Watch as Tencent puts predatory Pay to Win purchases be it : Warframes or Weapons that can only be purchased with real money, Mission entry requires special key that can only be purchased with real money, and probably the biggest insult.. Paid New Content that can only be access by paying players if DE loses creative control. Basically say goodbye to grinding your new shiny toys.

Excalibur Prime 2 Electric Boogaloo memes incoming.

Just now, WhiteMarker said:

But it does matter who's idea it was..

...Does it? If it was DE's idea, that means we're completely screwed cause they have no more concept of what's acceptable and what's not. If it was Leyou's idea... well, it can only get worse, cause unlike Leyou, Tencent is hellbent on conquering the world by purchasing everything and they need money for it.

2 hours ago, Saberfrost said:

You know that infamous company, for making horrendously predatory mobile games?

Leyou was purchased by Tencent so now the shares are under the latters ownership.

Do what you will with that information.

Tencent > SONY all the way

Path of Exile is going strong.

Thenagain PoE is a special case since their devs are very consistent at pushing quality content in the correct timeframes while at the same time communicating everything with the playerbase .

So yeah Tencent capital is as good as the dev team they bought is . Keep that in mind .

52 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

I don't quite know what you are saying.

But to my understanding, having creative control allows DE to develop what they want, when they want. One could argue that this has resulted in a less than stellar focus on projects, delays in the region of years and poor releases as they "make it up as they go along".

Losing creative control would mean the parent company could dictate (to my knowledge) what gets developed and when, which could result in a greater focus on current projects and less flitting around.

Obviously it's not that simple, nothing is, I'm simply providing an example as to why DE losing creative control could be seen to some as a good thing.

To my understanding it'd also result in those companies having full control on how the game is monetised.

Just as the game publishers can press DE to 'perform better financially' if you catch my drift, it should likewise be possible for them to press for more concise marketing and management without needing to give them the right to full-on grab the reins as it were.

Archived