Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gave up on SP too soon?, plus farming tips.

BethTheBean

Question

Good evening.

Man, that Steel Path has thrown me for a loop. I've read / watched endless videos on warframe & weapon builds, but I don't have the same result ( especially those one-hit ). 

The new galv and weapon arcanes seems to be the issue for me, as I've already opened three planets without them. What is the big deal? Prime Bane mods are now being used. I swear my eyes will explode if I go through another Nexus game.

Arcanes are also and issue, since I only farmed them during the previous two operations! :crylaugh:

1. Which weapon do you use? I don't see the reason the Bramma is so popular. Even with "the build" for Steel Path, I'm still need to hit them 3 times before anything dies. Why is the Bubonico so popular? I've seen one in every PuG, but no one will give up their secrets. I would love to know how an infested weapon is kicking ass in SP.

Melee is also a problem, as I can't SP crit builds to work the same way as they do in the creator videos. I can only assume there were nerfs at one point.

2. How do you farm essence and arcanes from the acolytes? How would you build a Khora or Nekros?

3. Which warframe & build would you use for defense and excavation? Interception? Rescue? Capture? Exterminate? Is their a warframe / build I could use for every mission in SP?

I've used Oberon Prime for every mode in the game, before Steel Path was put in. Without a good weapon build kit, I just can't kill the mobs fast enough.

18 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Lutesque said:

Oberon can Strip Armor by Slamming Enemies down on his Grass right ? 

Doing that should help I think....

It's not really practical and requires a build centered around strength... a little over 330% to reach 100%. Using Helminth for Shuriken costs less energy and wastes less time due to instant cast, and you can be shooting while doing so. HG/Reckoning spends a lot of energy, and during the cast you can't shoot. The combination really only works well in instances where you need to remove armor from one enemy, and even then.... DE has been making more recent singular enemies immune to armor removal.

There's also Nyx for easy 100% armor removal, and has the benefit of removing shields too.

Removing armor is more important anytime you aren't using  "meta" [popular] setup, or something that's actually meta and does obscene amounts of damage.

1. I use the Kuva Zarr but it's very similar to the kuva Bramma. Just make sure you are running hunter munitions, viral and a bane mod against grineer. Note that you kill them with slash procs rather than direct damage. Against corpus mod for pure toxin, hunter munitions isn't needed. Toxin bypasses shields and one shots most enemies. Against infested just run pure corrosive for raw damage.

The bubonico requires heavy investment (I have 8 in mine). The secret is that the altfire lobs viral bombs that can kill trash mobs and prime anything that doesn't die with viral procs. You then kill anything left with slash procs via hunter munitions (10 viral procs magnifies slash proc by 4.25x). I usually mod mine with one electric mod so the primary fire gets corrosive, which shreds acolytes, and alt fire gets electric which is good for AOE.

2. Just sit in any mission for about 5 minutes killing enemies to make acolytes spawn. Repeat ad nauseum.

3. Gara is my every mission frame, especially for solo defense, mob defense and excavation. You can kill very fast with splinter storm, you can nuke with mass vitrify, you can defend with splinter storm and mass vitrify. For interception solo I always run Vauban.

Your operator can do a great deal for you, especially in Steel Path. Literally any school can do great stuff at SP, you just need to look for it. I am pretty sure some of your melee builds failed because the Youtuber forgot to mention he used Naramon school to keep his combo counter high.

As for weapons, AoE is often best because you can hit a dozen or more enemies per shot, so even if it takes 2-4 shots it is still relatively ammo efficient and quick compared to single target guns.

The best status effects are viral, slash, heat and corrosive. Radiation and gas however are definitely funny and stronger once enemies do not drop instantly.

When building melee, you should always consider what melee you are going to use and how. It is pretty pointless to install bloodrush on a heavy attack build. It is also pointless to use heavy attack mods on a weapon you are going to use for finishers (trough stealth or abilities). The list can go on. Every melee has its own base stats and base multipliers for heavy attacks and finishers, check these before picking a build.

Most frames can do pretty well in steel path just by using/abusing shield-gating by reducing your (max)shields to a minimum and using augur mods or briefrespite to instantly refresh your shields. Personal preference is important.

Most normal enemies aren't status immune, in which case status builds will always beat your crit builds given how high the armor and health buffs of steel path are.

Il y a 4 heures, Yamazuki a dit :

It's not really practical and requires a build centered around strength... a little over 330% to reach 100%. Using Helminth for Shuriken costs less energy and wastes less time due to instant cast, and you can be shooting while doing so. HG/Reckoning spends a lot of energy, and during the cast you can't shoot. The combination really only works well in instances where you need to remove armor from one enemy, and even then.... DE has been making more recent singular enemies immune to armor removal.

There's also Nyx for easy 100% armor removal, and has the benefit of removing shields too.

Removing armor is more important anytime you aren't using  "meta" [popular] setup, or something that's actually meta and does obscene amounts of damage.

Hi, @GrazeZeroLow,

There is a great advantage on using Oberon to strip armor : the synergy between Oberon's 2nd and 4th applies to the ennemies BASE ARMOR and not to the actual amount of armor, and it's a permanent reduction. So you don't need a lot of Power Strength to take out all their armor. You just have to use Hunter Adrenaline and Oberon's 3rd to generate Energy all over the time by the damage you take (and to have some damage reduction by the armor it generates to tour warframe). Ability Range must be above average, but no need have more than 150%. Ability efficiancy is recommended.

But, indeed, I absolutely agree with Yamazuki, Nyx takes care of all enemies defenses : armor and shield in just one hit (but it's not permanent). Ash's Shuriken is also great (Bleeding statut are always welcome).

Armor reduction is very important on Grinner missions, Disruptions, Eidolon Hunts, Plague Star, because of the greater amount of damage the ennemies take from you. It's not really useful on Infested or Corpus missions (exception for Disruptions). You should also try to use the good damage type for each different faction and it can depends on the stats of your weapons (I prefer Viral on high status chance weapons, and Corrosive on high Critical chance weapons for Grineers, as an exemple).

Trinity, Mag, Banshee, Vauban, Xaku, Ember, are also frames that can strip armor (shields also for Xaku). And you can use Corrosive status (Hydroid 1st with aug Mod works well). Shattering Impact is also great on Gunblades (not the Redeemer though).

Anyway, it's up to you to chose what you prefer and the way you like to play and have fun with.

Do not waste your time watching a lot of Youtube videos on builds (And I can say it, as I also have a Youtube chanel 😁) . They are there just to give you an idea of what you can do. The most important is to try a warframe or a weapon and to understand the way it works to make a better use of it. And I can tell you that most of the Youtube videos you find are just made to have views and likes, some builds just don't work as well as they show you : they just show the best parts of the gameplay. Try to develop your own way of playing warframe, you'll see that it's much more efficient than copying internet builds (even though they can help).

4 hours ago, Yamazuki said:

It's not really practical and requires a build centered around strength... a little over 330% to reach 100%. Using Helminth for Shuriken costs less energy and wastes less time due to instant cast, and you can be shooting while doing so. HG/Reckoning spends a lot of energy, and during the cast you can't shoot. The combination really only works well in instances where you need to remove armor from one enemy, and even then.... DE has been making more recent singular enemies immune to armor removal

That's unfortunate :( !!!

And here I thought Goat Man could do it all...

I have finished the steel path (and gotten everything from the shop) long before the galvanized mods and gun arcanes were implemented.

You don't need them , but they defintely make things easier.

I won't say any weapon will do , because they won't , you do need a decently competitive weapon to get through steel path. But more importantly you want to match the elements as well as get the right frame for the job.

While viral slash is fine for star chart and sortie for any faction , you will have issues with corpus on steel path , better to go toxin/magnetic for corpus missions.

Pick a frame that has good survivability and moderate utility and buffs, while Oberon is good he lacks damage buffs and can be easily downed in corpus missions if you are unlucky, so you will need a very good weapon to do acceptable damage. I completed most of steel path with vauban when it came out cause he does a lot of things well and scales with enemy levels. 

Limbo would not be suggested by me unless you are already familiar with his playstyle , he can do very well but the ocassional bad luck could ruin your mission. Use him if you are confident or are in a squad. Khora with strangledome can make it easy for defense , and interception is best in a team.

Bramma is popular cause it has good crit , status , has aoe - crit paired with hunter munitions bypasses Armor , so a good pick for viral slash builds.

Bubonico has unlimited ammo , good status from secondary fire (with aoe and innate vir) and high crit from primary to focus on priority targets. Build it right and you can use it for any eventuality.

1. Which weapon do you use? I don't see the reason the Bramma is so popular. Even with "the build" for Steel Path, I'm still need to hit them 3 times before anything dies. Why is the Bubonico so popular? I've seen one in every PuG, but no one will give up their secrets. I would love to know how an infested weapon is kicking ass in SP. bramma is good. Personally, i use galvanized chamber and primary merciless on it. When both kicks in, it should be able to start one shotting enemies. Bubonico is popular because somehow it works, combination of innate toxin, good crit, infinite ammo, and couple other stuff. Such a shame because shedu is 50 times cooler yet 100 times more useless.

Melee is also a problem, as I can't SP crit builds to work the same way as they do in the creator videos. I can only assume there were nerfs at one point. there were nerfs, but not huge, what works before should still work. Understand that melee SP builds relies on condition overload and blood rush, they have to kick in before you can start to see the damage.

2. How do you farm essence and arcanes from the acolytes? How would you build a Khora or Nekros? I don't really farm SE, i simply play incursions every day that are not troublesome. Builds for those frames can take a whole post, what are you looking for, specifically?

3. Which warframe & build would you use for defense and excavation? Interception? Rescue? Capture? Exterminate? Is their a warframe / build I could use for every mission in SP? defense, loki. excavation, frost. interception, ivara. rescue, limbo. capture, nezha. exterminate, saryn. as you can see, frame choices rarely matters if you don't know how to play them. why on earth anyone play loki for defense while he doesn't have any defending abilities? why not just use the obvious gara, limbo, or frost? well, it's because i have irradiating disarm build, so i can keep casting it and maintain mobs fighting on healthy distance from my defense objectives. you need to start asking "how" instead of just "what".
is there a build for every mission? you can have a favorite frame to always fall back to, but i don't think there's one key that open all doors in warframe.

youtubers... sometimes they conveniently edit out the part when they need to cast roar, or covenant, or toxic lash, or the part which explains that you need to prime your targets before using your melee,  just to emphasize more on the "OPness" of the weapon and make their videos look cooler.
they're also hard pressed to stick with "trending" topics. if bubonico is the keyword for this week, they will make videos about bubonico as if it's the absolutely best weapon in warframe. did they do it in simulacrum? it's pretty common. SP enemies have extra stats beyond simulacrum enemies. so unless your creator is absolutely destroying lv150 simulacrum enemies, it won't do as good in real SP.
you keep saying "THE build", what build? everyone who replied here have different builds. what we share is probably some common mods like condition overload, blood rush, or some galvanized mods.

my advice would be to start zooming in, mate. what you really need?
start building ONE good weapon. what you want to make? make one good weapon until it works.
or you want to go with warframe first? then make one good frame that you can confidently bring to most missions.
i get it, SP can be hard at first because it behaves really differently from normal starchart, but keep at it and don't hesitate to ask us again once you find the correct question.

3 hours ago, GrazeZeroLow said:

Good evening.

Man, that Steel Path has thrown me for a loop. I've read / watched endless videos on warframe & weapon builds, but I don't have the same result ( especially those one-hit ). 

The new galv and weapon arcanes seems to be the issue for me, as I've already opened three planets without them. What is the big deal? Prime Bane mods are now being used. I swear my eyes will explode if I go through another Nexus game.

Arcanes are also and issue, since I only farmed them during the previous two operations! :crylaugh:

1. Which weapon do you use? I don't see the reason the Bramma is so popular. Even with "the build" for Steel Path, I'm still need to hit them 3 times before anything dies. Why is the Bubonico so popular? I've seen one in every PuG, but no one will give up their secrets. I would love to know how an infested weapon is kicking ass in SP.

Melee is also a problem, as I can't SP crit builds to work the same way as they do in the creator videos. I can only assume there were nerfs at one point.

2. How do you farm essence and arcanes from the acolytes? How would you build a Khora or Nekros?

3. Which warframe & build would you use for defense and excavation? Interception? Rescue? Capture? Exterminate? Is their a warframe / build I could use for every mission in SP?

I've used Oberon Prime for every mode in the game, before Steel Path was put in. Without a good weapon build kit, I just can't kill the mobs fast enough.

I mostly use Zephyr for defence/excavation missions and Lavos for the rest. Mind you, those are easy mode, for when I just want to wreck the mission with no danger whatsoever. I've also had fun  with Hildryn, Revenant, Nezha, Xaku, Nyx, Excalibur, Nova, Grendel, Wisp, Khora, Ivara and Frost. All some what tanky builds with no subsumes. Basicaly, no matter the frame, you want survivability, either through abilities, shield gating refresh or huge ehp and some good cc. Armor strip is also useful for grineer and acolytes, but dedicated slash/viral weapons let you ignore armor. For corpus build pure toxin and AoE, they melt easily regardless of level. For infested some rad procs are very useful to disconect Ancient auras. 

I also have Kuva Ayanga for Acolytes when my other weapons don't cut it. I rarely take only optimized weapons, so i can try new things. 

Hey there! 

So Steel Path can seem daunting at first, but it starts to become more manageable. You just need to acclimatise and possibly refine your builds a little. Like the other comments suggest, there are ways to get through missions easy using certain Warframe's and weapons... but now we are running the same exact issue as you referenced, because you have seen videos with recommendations already. Also what if you aren't a big fan of the Warframe, or don't want to use just one Warframe the whole time? 

Basically I think you would benefit the most from some personal experimentation and identifying what you need to improve on. Like if you like Oberon right? You know how to use him to strip armour? Now one of the most difficult aspects of Steel Path, as in the beefiness of Grineer armour values is no longer an issue. I mean its more complicated than that... you mentioned a lack of Arcanes, does that mean you do not have Arcane Energise? A lot of videos, recommendations and builds etc might assume you are running Arcane Energise. 

Like if you had to guess why the Bubonico is so popular/strong? What would your guess be? I don't ask that to be cryptic or obtuse, just that how you start to mentally questioning yourself about builds and what is effective/not effective will make it easier to create your own personal builds that will make Steel Path easy, with your widest selection of choice with Warframes and weapons. Does that kind of make sense? Practice and experimentation will help you build game sense/knowledge which you can then apply to lots of different scenarios. 

Bubonico is popular because its alt fire is amazing at inflicting status, and it comes with innate viral, so you can mod the weapon for corrosive/heat. The alt fire also hits a lot of enemies. Its an amazing primer. Now that we have Galvanised Savvy? Its even more potent, plus the Primary fire has good crit/IPS. So the two modes synergise really well together. The same way many players liked to prime enemies with statuses with say the Kuva Nukor to then destroy them with a Condition Overload melee build, but now you are doing that with one weapon (and you can still do that with the Nukor and melee if you want). Buonico also regens ammo. So it effectively has unlimited ammo. 

The reason Primed Bane mods are being used or more specifically are more popular now, doesn't/won't really apply for you just yet, is because with the introduction of the Primary Merciless Arcanes (which you don't have yet). Now that we can get a reliable amount of boosted damage, mods like Serration and Hornet Strike aren't as vital as they use to be, and so can be replaced. Bane mods unlike... or to oversimplify things, its to do with multiplicative damage vs additive damage. Since you do not have those Arcanes yet, I would just worry about this sort of thing for another day. First priority should just be about getting comfortable in Steel Path I think. 

As to your questions... 

1. I use a lot of different weapons, Cedo, is similar to Bubonico in that its alt fire does a lot of status, hits a lot of enemies and its Primary fire is good for tougher/tankier enemies. Epitaph is a bit similar, but its a secondary. Stahlta, Trumna, Phantasma, Probiscus Cernos,, Quellor, Stropha, but actually a lot of melees are pretty potent if you build them well. Melee did get several of its good mods nerfed, but they are still really powerful. Stropha specifically though I loved for Steel Path disruption. I also purposefully avoided mentioning Sister/Kuva weapons, but a lot of them are amazing in Steel Path. 

2. You just kill the Acolytes when they spawn. Can bring your Smeeta to increase the chances of Steel Essence you might get if you want, but isn't really any way to increase the Arcanes you get, with like a Khora or Nekros. Probably better to just take a Warframe you feel comfortable with, like a lot, and stay for a while in Steel Path missions, so Acolyte spawns, you kill it etc. Personally I will do the dailies, wait for 1 or two to spawn, kill. Occasionally do an Extermination or Survival here or there. 

3. Personally I like variety. Excavation I like to use Vauban, Khora, Wisp. Defense? Nidus, Mag, Saryn, Vauban, Oberon. Depends on the map and enemy faction as well. Also a good offence being a good defence etc. Interception, Vauban. Vauban is great at just CCing enemies/keeping them suspended/occupied. Rescue? Loki, Wisp, Ash. I like being fast and invisible and having ways to CC enemies so they don't harm the rescue operI am uative. Capture and Exterminate I'll use every and any Warframe depending on mood. I am quite fond of Nyx, Banshee, and some of the Frames I neglected, since they are rather strong here with their armor strip/debuff abilities. 

Good luck! 

The trick to beating Steel Path is pretty simple. A tanky, well built Nova can make the entire mode a joke. Get yourself a good subsume into your Nova build (Pillage works really well) and she becomes even more overpowered. Molecular Prime + Kuva Bramma is pretty much EZ mode for whatever Steel Path throws at you.

The only real issues come down to Ropalyst and that Infested night-light boss. These things are just a chore to fight regardless of your setup. 

if you're talking about one off gimmick Videos that are for making a single Weapon able to perform semi-competently with a very specific set of Mods. don't worry about it.

you have a lot of Equipment to choose from, and you can make it work if you have the majority of Mods and Et Cetera in the game. the easiest way to get performance is to use all of your Weapons together, to let you take advantage of more Damage Types at the same time.

1 hour ago, GrazeZeroLow said:

Both Melee and Crits in generally were changed recently so it's possible the videos you watched were Outdated....

I mean.... If it's possible try using your Favourite Warframe....

As long as it's not Inaros I think they might be more effective than you think ...

Or maybe I'm being biast bexause I'm a Booben main and he has a relatively easy time Dealing with both Armor and Shields....

Oberon can Strip Armor by Slamming Enemies down on his Grass right ? 

Doing that should help I think....

There's plenty of room for flexibility, but I like Lavos with his signature cedo.  He can basically ignore enemy level.  However, some of the missions are annoying enough I'll use something more optimal for those scenarios, for example I still like Gauss for capture.  Wukong is probably the most popular frame for SP, though I've never been into him.  The important part is making max use of your frame and weapons. Google can help you figure out builds, but you'll have to git gud regardless.

Lavos does well because his playstyle is the same playstyle that beats high level stuff: focusing on status, supported by crit.

I'm still collecting primary arcanes and galv mods, they aren't strictly necessary.  Condition Overload has been nerfed, but it's still pretty much mandatory.

Bubonico for the innate viral on the secondary attack, which softens up enemies, and because it's innate can also be stacked with heat and corrosive which both soften up armor.  You'd do well to mix/match primary and secondary to cover any scenario (tonight, my kuva brakk butchered the ropalolyst, which my cedo build wasn't optimized for.)

Arcanes can be pretty essential for your tank, though if you can't get the ones for your frame, at least try to get the ones for your operator for healing.

Speaking of which, don't forget to make use of your operator.  When it comes to traversing maps, they are as fast as the fastest frames, and on some tiles significantly faster.

23 minutes ago, GrazeZeroLow said:

Good evening.

1. The Glaive Prime is my Steel Path workhorse.  I use a typical heavy attack build.  It performs well even without a full build though, as I have occasionally taken out my riven to unveil another, only to realize I forgot to put it back in.  Kuva Nukor and Tenet Cycron both do well on Steel Path.  The bramma is fine-ish on Corpus, great against Infested, but struggles against SP Grineer.
  2. I just do the incursions, and take my time as a solo Ivara if I want the acolyte to spawn.  With Ivara, you're never in any danger.  I'll do defense objectives on public, but Ivara is perfectly capable of soloing those as well.
  3. Look into Xaku.  They have an overstuffed kit that can handle anything that Steel Path throws at you.  The only area where they don't excel is in stealth, and you have the operator for that if needed.  You'll want a glass cannon max max MAX range build with enough power strength to fully strip defenses with the 3.

32 minutes ago, GrazeZeroLow said:

Good evening.

1 which weapon. Obviously a Kuva Zarr or Ignis Wraith, wrecks it. (Dun Dun Dun, that’s false. Use any decent weapon such as a Kuva ogris, and I recommend Kuva ogris because of nightwatch napalm but use any a to sTier weapon, Test it, find out it’s strengths, and what  can benefit it, for example, less accuracy is beneficial to the Ignis wraith. Then figure out a build get in good crit chance, decent damage, status chance, then boom you’ve got a killer weapon). 

2. For Nekros go for his main 3 abilities so you want strength duration and range (efficiency would help but those are more Important) also slap a natural talent if you like shadows, (with strength they deal good damage but then again, Nekros relies heavily on you being able too kill enemies). Haven’t used khora..

3. Rescue, capture, Defense, assassination (well depends for assassination) limbo takes top spot. Rescue? Banish em! Capture. Banish em! Then kill em! Then capture em! Then rift walk with no damage :D. Defense? Hit Catalysm, then hit stasis, then when enemies come in hit rift surge! (I could be wrong but I’ve noticed it’s easier to kill enemies when rift surge is used so maybe it has hidden damage vulnerability?) Limbo is hard to use but he can wreck at these things. Extermination you can use basically any frame that can kill well, excavation I really don’t know, defection you need people, you can’t solo a sp disruption, maybe limbo or a mass killer would pull of a interception, etc.)

I haven’t used too many frames, but based on the frames I do have and play (and the ones I’ve learned by reading/watching players, I know not the same but need info) this is my opinion. But still it’s a fact that limbo is king of capture and rescue. (Arbitration Defense too).

Edit: for melee you need a S Tier weapon such as reaper prime with blood rush or Kronen prime. (Gram prime is also good if you like heavy blades) but anyway, I  use reaper prime (of course I do it’s in my username) and so far it’s been working very well in sp.

Archived